Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pure Performance Golf Labs/My New Miura CB-501 Are On The Way!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148219
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

So I am down in Naples, FL visiting some family for the week, and I decided it was finally time that I had a really thorough iron fitting done. So I did a little research and discovered Pure Performance Golf Labs was about 10 minutes form where I am staying, and seeing as Brandon Collier, one of the owners, works with over 40 professionals, I thought I really had to check this place out.

So I walk in not really having a good idea of what I was looking for. I was thinking maybe AP2's or the MP 59's, but I had a completely open mind. I find out that I'm going to be working with Loren because Brandon couldn't make it, which caught me a little off guard, but he seemed like a really nice guy. So I walk into the room in which my fitting would take place. WOW. Three walls of this room were covered with every shaft you could possibly imagine, and club heads from pretty much every manufacturer, plus a lot of the great Japanese ones (Miura, Epon, Yonex, etc.). Of course it was complete with an amazing Trackman setup.

A little background info about me: I'm really small (about 5'9"/145 lbs), and my game is built around keeping the ball in play and relying pretty heavily on the short game. I'm playing off a 3 handicap right now. I carry a 6-iron about 160 (yes, some of us on WRX do hit it human distances!) with a swing speed around 80-85 and a ball speed around 115-120. I have a pretty steep angle of attack, so I'm a very low-ball hitter.

So I warm up hitting balls with my 6-iron, and my numbers were pretty similar to what I said above. After a few minutes, he had me hit the Aerotech Steelfiber shaft, and I immediately fell in love. The feel was unbelievable, and they had a great launch angle for me. I didn't really know a whole lot about them, but Loren explained that it was basically a steel shaft with strands of graphite woven in (or maybe the other way around), so they had the distance and feel of graphite, by the dispersion and consistency of steel. He said that they had really started to blow up on tour after Kuchar won the FedEx Cup with them in his irons, and that guys like Brandt Snedeker and Carl Pettersson are gaming them.

As far as heads go,  I tested the 59s, 53s, AP2s, Epon AF-701 and AF-302, and finally the Miura CB-501.  Surprisingly, the AP2s and 59s produced the worst numbers out of the bunch by a pretty significant amount.  The ball-speed numbers with the Epons  were actually the highest I had tested so far (about 124), but they had a very "clicky" feel at impact that just bothered me a little. Then came the 53s. They felt amazing, and they launched higher than anything else I had hit, and the ball speed was still comparable to the Epons.

The last club I tested was the CB-501, and it was that best of every single world.  My ball speed stayed around 124, with an average smash factor of 1.46. I was absolutely stunned! I was carrying the 6 iron about 170, and you could throw a blanket around where all the balls were landing. The launch and spin numbers were a little lower than the Mizzys, but that is because Miura's standard 6 iron is 30*, whereas Mizuno's is 31*.

So after taking some static measurements to double-check loft and lie, I ordered 4-PW CB-501s with the Aerotech Steelfiber shafts. Loren told me that I would have the clubs in about 14 business days.

Overall, it was an unbelievable experience, and I would STRONGLY encourage anyone in the Naples area to pay PPGL a visit!

I'll post another review when the clubs arrive and I can get out on the course! Thanks for reading!

Edited by scratch14, 31 March 2012 - 01:21 PM.

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Tread

Tread

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166587
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Those shafts sound really cool. Gratz on the new Miura's. The CB501's are very nice irons.
Taylormade R1 w/ Fujikura MS 6.2 TS
Titliest 910 Hybrid w/ Fujikura Kamo
Mizuno 3-PW MP59 w/ TT Monaco
Mizuno MP-R12 (50, 55, 60) w/ X100
SC Golo

#3 corwin

corwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163293
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Congratulations.  CB-501 are great clubs and my fitting experience was very similar to yours.  I ended up ordering a 3 iron for my set just for resale purposes.

#4 1tondriver

1tondriver

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139723
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

I have a set of 501's with Aerotec 110's and also 8-pw Tournament blades to play a combo set. Great feeling with the Miura heads. Good choice and enjoy them

#5 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thanks guys! These next two weeks are going to seem so long!

#6 NYCgolfer17

NYCgolfer17

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134981
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Why didnt you hit the EPON 502's?  

TM SLDR -OBAN Kiyoshi White 65 - 05 Flex
Adams XTD 15, 712u 2 iron KBS Tour VX
EPON AF 502 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S+
Epon 208KGX 50
Scotty Newport 2
WITB Link

#7 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

View Postslrappaport, on 27 March 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Why didnt you hit the EPON 502's?  

Well after hitting the 701's so well (smash factor was 1.48, the highest of any I hit), I thought maybe the feel would be a little better with more of a players club, so I went straight to the 302, and the numbers were still great, but I just couldn't get over that "click" at impact, so I figured Epon just wasn't for me, so I didn't bother with the 502. My numbers with the Miuras were almost identical, and I just felt more confident standing over them, and they had much more of a traditionally soft, forged feel.

#8 doodle_doodle

doodle_doodle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75040
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

What did the set run you, apart from the fitting fee?

View PostHattori Hanzo, on 22 March 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

So I am down in Naples, FL visiting some family for the week, and I decided it was finally time that I had a really thorough iron fitting done. So I did a little research and discovered Pure Performance Golf Labs was about 10 minutes form where I am staying, and seeing as Brandon Collier, one of the owners, works with over 40 professionals, I thought I really had to check this place out.

So I walk in not really having a good idea of what I was looking for. I was thinking maybe AP2's or the MP 59's, but I had a completely open mind. I find out that I'm going to be working with Loren because Brandon couldn't make it, which caught me a little off guard, but he seemed like a really nice guy. So I walk into the room in which my fitting would take place. WOW. Three walls of this room were covered with every shaft you could possibly imagine, and club heads from pretty much every manufacturer, plus a lot of the great Japanese ones (Miura, Epon, Yonex, etc.). Of course it was complete with an amazing Trackman setup.

A little background info about me: I'm really small (about 5'9"/145 lbs), and my game is built around keeping the ball in play and relying pretty heavily on the short game. I'm playing off a 3 handicap right now. I carry a 6-iron about 160 (yes, some of us on WRX do hit it human distances!) with a swing speed around 80-85 and a ball speed around 115-120. I have a pretty steep angle of attack, so I'm a very low-ball hitter.

So I warm up hitting balls with my 6-iron, and my numbers were pretty similar to what I said above. After a few minutes, he had me hit the Aerotech Steelfiber shaft, and I immediately fell in love. The feel was unbelievable, and they had a great launch angle for me. I didn't really know a whole lot about them, but Loren explained that it was basically a steel shaft with strands of graphite woven in (or maybe the other way around), so they had the distance and feel of graphite, by the dispersion and consistency of steel. He said that they had really started to blow up on tour after Kuchar won the FedEx Cup with them in his irons, and that guys like Brandt Snedeker and Carl Pettersson are gaming them.

As far as heads go,  I tested the 59s, 53s, AP2s, Epon AF-701 and AF-302, and finally the Miura CB-501.  Surprisingly, the AP2s and 59s produced the worst numbers out of the bunch by a pretty significant amount.  The ball-speed numbers with the Epons  were actually the highest I had tested so far (about 124), but they had a very "clicky" feel at impact that just bothered me a little. Then came the 53s. They felt amazing, and they launched higher than anything else I had hit, and the ball speed was still comparable to the Epons.

The last club I tested was the CB-501, and it was that best of every single world.  My ball speed stayed around 124, with an average smash factor of 1.46. I was absolutely stunned! I was carrying the 6 iron about 170, and you could throw a blanket around where all the balls were landing. The launch and spin numbers were a little lower than the Mizzys, but that is because Miura's standard 6 iron is 30*, whereas Mizuno's is 31*.

So after taking some static measurements to double-check loft and lie, I ordered 4-PW CB-501s with the Aerotech Steelfiber shafts. Loren told me that I would have the clubs in about 14 business days.

Overall, it was an unbelievable experience, and I would STRONGLY encourage anyone in the Naples area to pay PPGL a visit!

I'll post another review when the clubs arrive and I can get out on the course! Thanks for reading!

#9 33 Handicap

33 Handicap

Psalms 37:23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75705
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

http://pureperforman...m/club-fitting/

#10 cadman88

cadman88

Terry Hills C.C. # 14

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114210
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the post.. my brand new Miura CB-501's with PXi 6.0's are out for delivery today !! Won't get much golfing in over the winter months living in Upstate NY, but looking forward to hitting them on an indoor sim near me and a local indoor dome over the winter..

I had a set of AP2 712's with C-Tapers and when I hit them compared to the 501's it was not even close in feel.. I sold off the AP2's and bought a set of 712 CB's with PXi 6.0's in them and really liked the PXi 6.0 shafts, so when I finally did order my 501's that was the shaft of choice for me, I do like what I have read about the Aerotech Steelfiber shafts, although I have never hit one.

Congrats and keep us posted...

Edited by cadman88, 26 November 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Ping G30 9.8 Aldila Tour Blue ATX 65x
JetSpeed 15 Matrix Velox 69 stiff
JetSpeed 19 Matrix Velox 69 stiff
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
Scratch 50, 53, 58 Recoil Proto 95 F5
Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider 35"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors