Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Phil Mickelson Playing KBS Tours

157 replies to this topic

#61 bubbagump

bubbagump

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114646
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hey Im not sure if this is the right spot for this, but here it goes:

Im a really high handicapper and I love playing blades because they allow me to work the ball left and right, I have been told they may not be for me though.  I see that Phil plays blades and was wondering if anybody can help me find what is better: blades or cavity backs?

While we are on it, should I put project X or KBS in my irons.....Of course I need an X stiff but which one is better?

Thanks guys

Oh and PS, coke or pepsi during the after round drinks?

Edited by bubbagump, 23 March 2012 - 11:33 AM.

9* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
14* 3w TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
19* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 9.8
4-AW Rocketbladez tour SS PX 6.5
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport
58* , 62* Vokeys with project x
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 Smokey1226

Smokey1226

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48349
  • Ebay ID:Csmokey1226
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostZJohnson, on 22 March 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

speeder, the v.2 are lower spinning and launching than the kb tours.  Honestly, they are the closest thing to DG's I've ever seen.  Kim has been working on these for some time now.  Not sure if or when they will be released to the pubic.
So Basically another c taper?

#63 lvmike

lvmike

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3497
  • Ebay ID:miteca
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

View Postasualum, on 22 March 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

View Postlvmike, on 22 March 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

I agree!  Good grief, the cynicism is getting rampant around here.  

I've got no insider info, no pics, but I did watch 'The Range' last night and he was clearly warming up with a shaft that had the KBS sticker on it.  It was the early morning scene where he was back to back on the range with Tiger.  Whether he was testing or not, I'm unaware, but he was hitting a wedge with KBS in it.  

Ha...or a PX with a KBS shaft label to get a bunch of GolfWRXers all fired up on a Thursday morning!!

I'm gonna need proof that you were watching "The Range" before you make any claims that you were watching "The Range" Posted Image

Seriously, though, I completely agree. the cynicism is getting a little ridiculous.

Ha!  Love it!!  And your comment about no one noticing you switched!  

Unfortunately, only my dogs could be my witnesses.  The rest of the family runs to other TVs when I turn the Golf Channel on.
10.5* TM SLDR
15* TM SLDR
19* TM SLDR
4-PW Cleveland 588 TT
34" TM Spider Mallet (2013 version)
Cleveland 588RTX 48*,52*,56*w/Nippon WV

#64 DriveIt"N"3Putt

DriveIt"N"3Putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63932
  • Ebay ID:ckmarty
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Just saw Phil play on 14 and he's using kbs shafts.

#65 Bangin' B

Bangin' B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168863
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

me too...  maybe it made the ball release all the way to the back of the green...  but its a par save  :)

#66 DriveIt"N"3Putt

DriveIt"N"3Putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63932
  • Ebay ID:ckmarty
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostBangin, on 23 March 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

me too...  maybe it made the ball release all the way to the back of the green...  but its a par save  :)
I thought he loved his px shafts

#67 ZJohnson

ZJohnson

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76264
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostSmokey1226, on 23 March 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

View PostZJohnson, on 22 March 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

speeder, the v.2 are lower spinning and launching than the kb tours.  Honestly, they are the closest thing to DG's I've ever seen.  Kim has been working on these for some time now.  Not sure if or when they will be released to the pubic.
So Basically another c taper?

No.  Lower.

#68 Princeton TN

Princeton TN

Often imitated never duplicated! These guys are really Good

• 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136337
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

WOW JUST SAW THE CLOSE UP OF HIS TEE SHOT ON 17 AND YES, KBS SHAFTS...WOW NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE THE DAY!!!

it must be in anticipation for the conditions at Augusta, cause it looks like he has some getting use to with the shafts, doesnt seem to be working the ball as effectivley....

#69 mpcumstein

mpcumstein

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5128
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

I hope some of the people that flamed the OP will show some contrition now.

#70 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

So the "KIM" shaft is a copy of the most successful shaft in tour history?  Go figure! :rolleyes:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 mikepga1

mikepga1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47762
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Watching the telecast today, i noticed the KBS tour shaft band on 2 different occasions. It got my attention as he's used Px for quite some time

#72 The GreekGrind

The GreekGrind

Invictus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4403
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

View Postmpcumstein, on 23 March 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Haha, ok this has gone on long enough.  

No one flamed the OP.  I hope he and the others who seemed a bit irritated didn't get too worked up.  Gotta come clean.  

A few on board knew about this before it went down.  I'll play games from time to time, but not with anyone in particular, if someone falls into it, they do, if not, they don't.  This was a perfect thread.  If you go back and read through it all you should be able to see how everything was being set up.

I told a few people beforehand to watch how there's sometimes a mass mentality to jump on others, especially to show they're wrong about something.   Tried to be as ridiculous as possible hoping most people would see what was going on, but it was lost on a few people, and some people got it right in spite of themselves (hope they can laugh at themselves).

At one point there were hundreds of people viewing, right at the time this thread took the turn to it's craziest, so I put the brakes on or it probably would have still been going in.  

So OP, few others, no offense, had nothing to do with you, just a little bit of mischief, you were a good sport for the most part.

Edited by The GreekGrind, 23 March 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#73 gopherguts

gopherguts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157681
GolfWRX Likes : 253

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

View PostThe GreekGrind, on 23 March 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

No one flamed the OP.  I hope he and the others who seemed a bit irritated didn't get too worked up.  Gotta come clean.  

A few on board knew about this before it went down.  I'll play games from time to time, but not with anyone in particular, if someone falls into it, they do, if not, they don't.  This was a perfect thread.  If you go back and read through it all you should be able to see how everything was being set up.

I told a few people beforehand to watch how there's sometimes a mass mentality to jump on others, especially to show they're wrong about something.   Tried to be as ridiculous as possible hoping most people would see what was going on, but it was lost on a few people, and some people got it right in spite of themselves (hope they can laugh at themselves).

At one point there were hundreds of people viewing, right at the time this thread took the turn to it's craziest, so I put the brakes on or it probably would have still been going in.  

So OP, few others, no offense, had nothing to do with you, just a little bit of mischief, you were a good sport for the most part.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohhhhh, so it was all a joke,,,,,, Good one,,,,, :rolleyes:

#74 Sourpuss

Sourpuss

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97037
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

happy easter everyone........

#75 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Good gravy Greek you need to get a new hobby. Or maybe start t-p ing your neighbors houses :)

#76 hovark

hovark

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98778

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

you know it's a good joke when you have to explain it.

#77 hovark

hovark

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98778

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

also, very interesting phil switched iron shafts just weeks before the masters. i'm sure he tested them plenty before they went into play, but it's still very interesting. maybe they'll help him with half swings on mid iron shots. anytime his full shots w/ irons get a little loose, it seems his half swing is still very controlled. I've always been curious to why he doesn't club up more and just swing easy at the flags with his irons, instead of hitting his pw 170yds. or maybe he's just liking a higher ball flight, especially with the longer irons. the man is a sick individual tho. when he's firing on all cylinders, he plays better than a video game. this could be an INCREDIBLE Masters were in for. the field is deep, and the favorites all are playing well. Tiger. Rory. Phil. Luke. Lee. it's an exciting time.

#78 medic170979

medic170979

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56547
  • Ebay ID:Medic170979
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Today Phil was playing Balsa wood broom handles in his irons and whittled white pines in his wedges,  Its true...  I swear!

#79 The Beaver

The Beaver

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106315
  • Ebay ID:EagerBeaver18
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

You know all the years Phil went without winning a Major, any chance his need for new Equipment the week before might have played a role. New shafts before the Masters, a strong 3 wood and no Driver for the US Open, a new special edition odyssey Putter with a fimer/softer insert for the green speeds. A special driver shaft to hit it high at Augusta and Low at the Open Championship.  I dont know about the rest of you, but I dont going Ho-ing the week before my club championship. I will admit who am I to question Phil. I just wonder that if he had spend less time second guessing his gear maybe he would have a few more Majors. Just a honest thought. It seems to have worked for him in the past and hopefully next weekend.

#80 smiley9929

smiley9929

p u t t f o r d o u g h

• 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149051
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Good point Beaver.

Generally speaking this is an interesting thread and many if you are very funny. Unfortunately some of you had your feelings hurt.

I switched to KBS Tour and now have better overall control of my ball flight. That's just my experience, that's all. You may have a different experience.

All in all GolfWRX is very cool. But many comments on this thread were not.

Enjoy and think before you post.

Thanks

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 Precision

Precision

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1561
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Phil Mickelson watches his second shot on the second hole during the third round of the Shell Houston Open at Redstone Golf Club on March 31, 2012 in Humble, Texas.

#82 SweetRelease

SweetRelease

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151651
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I love my x100's but kbs has my eye

#83 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21316
  • Ebay ID:bdawg40
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostSweetRelease, on 01 April 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

I love my x100's but kbs has my eye

It had mine at one time too.  And then it didn't.  I hit it high, but couldn't elevate it higher on demand like I can with X100.  X100 ftw!  Lol

#84 txhornsgolfer

txhornsgolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166685

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Just got back from the SHO. Phil def has KBS shafts in all of his irons!

#85 leet74

leet74

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47009
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

he was defo using some irons with KBS in the shell houston just gone....

#86 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21573
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Is it just the picture or does the shaft seem to have a satin finish?
Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

#87 njhill

njhill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128847
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

View Posttxhornsgolfer, on 01 April 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Just got back from the SHO. Phil def has KBS shafts in all of his irons!

most yes....all no.  Still using PX in PW,SW,GW,LW.

#88 snowgolfing

snowgolfing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118044

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

its really just a difference in preference between the shaft company's, and each of the shafts will have different characteristics and feel. Personally i play KBS just because it came with my MB2's and in x -stiff they are wonderful great weight and i can feel the club head throughout my swing

And a nice cold beer for me after a round, not a big pop drinker :)

View Postbubbagump, on 23 March 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

Hey Im not sure if this is the right spot for this, but here it goes:

Im a really high handicapper and I love playing blades because they allow me to work the ball left and right, I have been told they may not be for me though.  I see that Phil plays blades and was wondering if anybody can help me find what is better: blades or cavity backs?

While we are on it, should I put project X or KBS in my irons.....Of course I need an X stiff but which one is better?

Thanks guys

Oh and PS, coke or pepsi during the after round drinks?

#89 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

In like Flynn with my 8802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostThe GreekGrind, on 23 March 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

Oh man, I completely fell for it!  I must be one of those few you mentioned. You were soooo good at being ridiculous, Bro!

I feel really stupid now.  I totally wanted to beat you up.

Edited by SurfinTurf, 02 April 2012 - 06:19 PM.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

#90 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132640
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

Ok, so now I'm gonna talk about KBS shafts a little bit.

A: They are weak and breakable shafts for high power players due to the loose tip, I have broken one and a PING rep told me that they are breakable and I immediately changed my order to X100 because the only time I recall an X100 breaking is when tiger wrapped it around a tree a the masters.

B: Phil is not playing anything remotely like the original KBS tour, which is my favorite shaft aside from the fact that I will never use them until they make them stop breaking. Becuase I broke one and it sucks.

C: KBS is going to lead the shaft market in the future is what I think, they are going to come out with something that is just like dynamic gold, not tell anyone that they're trying to copy DG and it will be a little better than DG somehow, I think they can do it becuase the company is innovative and new and I don't really see alot going on with true temper aside from the PX graphite shafts (yeah yeah PXi it's supposedly not getting much love from tour players)...

D: The C-Taper, if it were not so expensive it would be everywhere... And probably in my S-56's which are probably in a box in AZ ready to ship to my club and then get into my bag and be used to hit balls onto greens :)

E: Kim Braly is thinking in the right direction (KBS Tour Custom Series).. Yeah, I want white shafts in my irons and wedges, but make them not break first.

F: This, coming off of C: Oh, yeah, the KBS Tour V2 IS the shaft that I want to see come to the market, a firmer tip with stronger construction and low-mid flight without overspinning the ball? Possible? I have DG now and I don't like PX at all, I just don't, I'm not the best player but I don't love the shaft.

Dear KBS make a shaft that doesn't break, thanks, love JD.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors