Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fake Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips

112 replies to this topic

#1 willx01

willx01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170420
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

There have been several threads created already on here about how to  spot Fake Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound grips but no one has yet  to showcase counterfeits with butt end wrappers.  

Like everyone else that has posted in previous posts related to this  topic, I bought the grips off ebay. Based on everything I read and  what I saw, this post is intended to help anyone else out there who is  questioning their grips.  I read all the previous posts and didn't know  if the things brought up were what I was seeing.  This post is my effort to be as  descriptive as possible and this is all coming from a person who bought  his first set of grips and was hoping to get his first set of regripped  clubs.  

As I needed to get 14 clubs regripped, I had to buy 1 more and made the  purchase at golfgalaxy.  So from here on out, I'll refer to golfgalaxy's  legit grip as (GG) and the one I know is a fake as (?).  

#1, check all the grips you just bought and are in question.  Maybe some  of you will notice like I did that not all of them were the same length  and that some were an inch or more shorter than some of the others.  

#2, is to smell.  I read the posts that fake ones smell sour.  But if  you're like me, your thinking too much of what you should be smelling  and when it comes down to testing, you have no clue if it matches.  Here  is my two cents after smelling both the GG and the ?.  I did notice  that that ? smelled sour, more chemically and when I compare the smell  to GG, the GG has more of this like clean smell kinda like a subtle  peppermint type smell.  The biggest thing is that the GG does not have a  strong smell, it is subtle.

#3, is to feel.  The previous posts are correct, the ? are much more  hard or firm which ever description helps you out then the GG.  When I  squeeze both grips with my right hand,  thumb on the alignment and index  finger behind it (normal golf grip), the ? is firmer and rigid when  squeezing all up and down the grip compared to the GG.  The GG when you  run your thumb along the grip from the Golf Pride logo down feels smooth  whereas the ? you can feel the ridges from the "C" shaped black lines  and then the "C" shaped notches on the grip handle.  Previous posts  stated weight differences but I don't have a mail scale, dont want to  buy one and no one can tell the difference with their hands.  But if you  have one, I'd recommend checking.

#4, the opening of the grip where the club shaft is entered.  This is  something I have not seen posted so far.  On the GG, 60R is seen on the  inside and it is very clear.  The inside is also smooth.  The ? shows a  60R but it is not clear and the inside is bumpy with indentations.  It  also tries to say Tawain but it is an utter failure.  I tried to take  pics but its impossible to show.

Here are some pictures for other key points (sorry about the quality they were taken from my iphone):

IMG_0446.JPG

Picture #1:  Top is GG and bottom is ?.  Notice the difference in color,  white is brighter on ? then GG.  Second notice the 'Golf Pride'  lettering.  On the GG it is larger and round especially for the 'l' and  'i'.  Third, the thread on the handle is much more falsely prominent on  the ? as it looks real but after inspection of the GG, it is obvious it  is just a paint job or something.  I tried the lick the thumb and try to  rub it off test but didn't work.  But it is fake nonetheless.

IMG_0447.JPG

Picture  #2:  Both GG (top) and ? (bottom) have butt end plastic wrappers.   Difference is that GG states MCC-60R-M07-X9 Made in Taiwan and ? well  you can see its different.  I dont know what the MCC blah blah stands  for and don't care but from a google search of what the ? has, it shows  results for Golf Pride NDMC for yellow and other colors not once for  White.  Also with the GG, the bar code and labels is on the back side of  the grip not the front (Golf Pride logo) like for the ?

IMG_0449.JPG

Picture  #3:  This was one that I thought other posts did well on.  The backside  of the grip notch.  GG (top) ?(bottom).  notice the middle notch (the  one that is just like a regular cylinder shape in the white area full of  crosses or side ways "t".  The GG is more wide and deeper to the ?.  I  dont know if you can see but notice the black area on the left side. It  is after the end of the grip where the cord is and before the two darker  black "C" shaped bands that have a black area then it goes to the white  area.  The area looks like for both grips like portions of the rubber  that are raised kinda like mountain peaks or nerds candy.  On the GG  that area on the reverse side (side with Golf Pride logo) is consistent  whereas the ? the area is shades lighter and some areas have less nerds  or mountain peaks.  Third, notice also from this picture notice the  white area but now look far right.  You have one thick "C" shaped that  has spots of white then a thin "C" shaped black line.  Look at this thin  line.  The GG it is wider than the ?.

IMG_0450.JPG

Picture  #4 is the reverse side of the grip (Golf Pride logo side) that shows  the difference in that thin black 'C' shaped line like i mentioned at  the end of Picture #3.  GG top and ? bottom.   if you rotate the grip, those black "C"'s on the  white area on the GG match up but on the ? there are areas where they  dont.  What I mean by that is on the side of the grip for both, there is  clearly a vertical line that runs down the grip (most likely from the  rubber manufacturing process or something) but this vertical line is  where on both grips a tiny void is created in continuing the 'C' shape  pattern.  On the GG, there is a slight gap but the "C" shape black is on  the same line or matches but on the ? they aren't lining up well and  where one "C" leaves off, the continuing black is thicker after the  vertical line.  It just looks like a failure attempt elementary school  style.  It's so bad that I just took pictures to add below this  sentence.

Here they are (called pic A which is ? and pic B GG)

IMG_0453.JPG
Pic A ?  

IMG_0454.JPG
Pic B GG

IMG_0451.JPG

Picture  #5: the butt end plastic wrapper.  GG on top and ? on bottom. Notice  the two dark black 'C' shapes that run along the handle.  The spacing  and shape are different for the GG then the ?.  Look at the 'C's right  after the plastic wrapper, the ? looks fake as it is not as curvy a 'C'.

IMG_0452.JPG

Picture  #6: GG on left and ? on right.  Notice that the ? has more white to  represent the cord than the GG.  Notice also the difference in the two  dark black "C" shaped lines that run down the handle.  Notice the  difference in spots of white on the upper part of the picture.

Bottom  line is that you already know what this all boils down to. If you are  questioning if your grips are fake or have a doubt/gut feeling, majority  of times you are right they are fake.  Why else would someone off ebay  even with 100% ratings and etc sell them for cheap.  The only sellers  capable of doing so are wholesale retailers and they would be most  likely from golf stores not your average joes with 50 100% ratings.   From now on I will buy my grips at GG or any other authorized retailer  and it sucks to pay more but its the piece of mind that you have knowing  you got what you paid for.  I tried to contact the ebay seller for a refund and it's only been a day since I informed him with no response but I chose to open a resolution case because if he was unresponsive past the 7 day return period, I was thinking it could pose problems.  I asked if he had any info to prove that these grips are legit to send my way but I know 100% that these are fake.  I hope this helps some of you out there.  Thanks for reading.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55587
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Sorry I skimmed through your post and did not see anywhere where you weighed the two grips.   I bought some fake grips from eBay in the past and it changed the swingweight by 3 points.

#3 MuvintotheMusic

MuvintotheMusic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166599
  • Ebay ID:sweetpeadarrellee
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Good info here. Very thorough. Thanks for educating us!

#4 bnied8

bnied8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135083
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

the fake one resembles a shitpro's  'defects', when compared to golfpride mc

#5 24vince

24vince

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163671
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Well, "I'll be a monkeys uncle".....Never woulda thought there'd be enough money in it to make fakes but I guess so....

After reading this I decided to compare the ones I bought off the bay to the ones on my new Mizzy's....I was fooled, the ones on my hybrid, driver and 3wood are fake....

That explains why the grip on my driver is already smooth....huh    atleast it wasnt much money....

#6 oldhamer25

oldhamer25

Yes, they are cheering my name!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120505
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

I am curious what ebay seller you got the fake ones from.
913 D2 8.5, Tour Spec 6.3x
913 FD 15, Tour Spec 7.3x
913 H 19, VTS Tour SPX Silver 8x
712U 3 PX 6.0, 714 AP2 4-PW, PX PXI 6.5
Vokey TVD 52M, 58K TI S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14

#7 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1958

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

bang up writeup!

#8 The General

The General

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12372
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

support your local golf shop and stop buying off eBay. They suck ***

fleabay cannot be trusted and there are WAYYYY too many fake products on there. Not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

#9 LeftyPrice

LeftyPrice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129616

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for the well written write up. There is so much fake stuff out there nowadays, grips from here on out will be purchased at the local golf shop.

#10 willx01

willx01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

I am hesitant to put the Ebay sellers name on here because I did receive a full refund and what if from now on the seller places authentic items on ebay and everyone reads this and assumes all the seller sells are fakes.  At least this is here and searchable to aid in any buyers determination if their grips are authentic or counterfeit.  

I hope that with more posts showcasing the differences in fakes and reals, the counterfeiters ultimately quit making them as the time and process to make products identical to the reals will be too time consuming and expensive for them or the other side, we get really good quality fakes.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Scuds20

Scuds20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132652
  • Ebay ID:Scuds20

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postwillx01, on 23 March 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

I am hesitant to put the Ebay sellers name on here because I did receive a full refund and what if from now on the seller places authentic items on ebay and everyone reads this and assumes all the seller sells are fakes.  At least this is here and searchable to aid in any buyers determination if their grips are authentic or counterfeit.  

I hope that with more posts showcasing the differences in fakes and reals, the counterfeiters ultimately quit making them as the time and process to make products identical to the reals will be too time consuming and expensive for them or the other side, we get really good quality fakes.

Just curious, did you try scanning the barcode with a smart phone app? If you look at the beginning numbers of the UPC, they match, but if you look at the actual bars, they don't. Could be a pretty good indicator here too, to see if the scanned barcode A. Matches the product, and B. matches the written UPC.

#12 willx01

willx01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

No I did not.  I only entered the bar code sequence in google but I was thinking about doing so.  Just got lazy but my guess is that if you scan the barcode, you won't come up with anything.

View PostScuds20, on 23 March 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

View Postwillx01, on 23 March 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Just curious, did you try scanning the barcode with a smart phone app? If you look at the beginning numbers of the UPC, they match, but if you look at the actual bars, they don't. Could be a pretty good indicator here too, to see if the scanned barcode A. Matches the product, and B. matches the written UPC.

#13 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55587
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Barcode fonts are free online.  Not really an indicator.

#14 kittington

kittington

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58597
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Just came across this topic and it dawned on me that I had just purchased a set of 10 on ebay for a relatively good price. I went to check my stash and the first thing I noticed when I opened up the package was the foul smell. Then I checked the wrappers and they do not match genuine wrappers. I scanned the bar code and the numbers match but a search of the UPC comes up as RED NDMC grips (I do not know if Golf Pride uses only one UPC number for all colors.). I also checked the hash marks and other tell tale signs and they all appear to point towards my grips being fakes. I also matched the colors up to my real NDMC on my irons and the white on the ebay set are definitely whiter (Grips on my irons are a few months old bought at a retailer for full price.). My ebay grips weigh 50 grams. I think I've been had! I've contacted the seller and hopefully I can get a refund. Pictures attached...

#15 EricZ116

EricZ116

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170844
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

I know it's tough to tell just from an ebay link, but are these legit?

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

They've sold 222 of them, and have 99.9% feedback (one negative out of 695 on some ink cartridges)

My concern is obviously the low price, and the fact that they are shipping from Hong Kong. Don't mean to stereotype, but  at the very least it caused me to raise my eyebrow and I doubt I'm the only one. I do hope someone can confirm them, because this price is just unbelievably good.

#16 oldhamer25

oldhamer25

Yes, they are cheering my name!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120505
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

I would say if they are shipping out of Hong Kong, then there is a pretty good chance they are fake.  The counterfeiters have gotten pretty good with these grips and the fact that they come with the bar codes most buyers believe they are real thus the positive feedback.  Also, if you look at the barcodes on the ebay listing and the ones that are pictured a couple of posts above they are the same.

Edited by oldhamer25, 28 March 2012 - 11:26 AM.

913 D2 8.5, Tour Spec 6.3x
913 FD 15, Tour Spec 7.3x
913 H 19, VTS Tour SPX Silver 8x
712U 3 PX 6.0, 714 AP2 4-PW, PX PXI 6.5
Vokey TVD 52M, 58K TI S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14

#17 willx01

willx01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

From the ebay picture, you can't really tell but my gut feeling is not good.  The thing I would consider if i were you is that if they end up being counterfeits, you have to deal with trying to get a refund or opening a resolution claim then eventually paying to ship the counterfeit grips back to hong kong.  But then again they could be authentic and you got them at a good price.  

View PostEricZ116, on 28 March 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

They've sold 222 of them, and have 99.9% feedback (one negative out of 695 on some ink cartridges)

My concern is obviously the low price, and the fact that they are shipping from Hong Kong. Don't mean to stereotype, but  at the very least it caused me to raise my eyebrow and I doubt I'm the only one. I do hope someone can confirm them, because this price is just unbelievably good.

#18 Scuds20

Scuds20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postwillx01, on 28 March 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

From the ebay picture, you can't really tell but my gut feeling is not good.  The thing I would consider if i were you is that if they end up being counterfeits, you have to deal with trying to get a refund or opening a resolution claim then eventually paying to ship the counterfeit grips back to hong kong.  But then again they could be authentic and you got them at a good price.  

If I remember correctly, I believe there are several people on here that have said that PayPal has you dispose of the item, since mailing counterfeit goods is a crime itself.

#19 willx01

willx01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

I was going by ebay's buyer protection steps:
"A full refund is one that covers the cost of the item and original  shipping. If you've received an item and want a full refund, you'll  usually need to send the item back to the seller. "

"Do I need to send the item back to the seller?
                            Yes, if you opened an item not as described  case for a purchase covered   by eBay Buyer Protection. You'll also need  to provide us with the   shipping tracking number (with Signature  Confirmation for items worth   more than $250) to receive your refund  through PayPal. "

Hopefully, someone can chime in and let us know for sure.

View PostScuds20, on 28 March 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

View Postwillx01, on 28 March 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

If I remember correctly, I believe there are several people on here that have said that PayPal has you dispose of the item, since mailing counterfeit goods is a crime itself.

#20 JJGold

JJGold

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128357
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

You can not buy 13 authentic GPNDMC for $57.95.  Bottom line.  I would bet that's below what you'd pay Eaton for a truck full.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 kstevenson

kstevenson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12391

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

I too bought some fakes.  they are all over ebay.  a seller names discountshadesusa has been selling them by the bucket load.  I contacted Golf Pride but got no response.  by the way the bar codes match so thats not the way to tell.  The best and easiest way is to look at the middle of the top side of the grip.  There is a white dash by the thumbguide. if you look at the real grip horozontally you will find 10 stars or perforations above and below the dash up to the seam on the grip.  they are not in a uniform pattern.  on the fakes the pattern is more uniform and there are 12 stars or perforations.

#22 kstevenson

kstevenson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12391

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

EricZ116, on 28 March 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

they are fake!  look at pattern below dash

#23 cbeck

cbeck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152971

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

So I suppose that these are fakes too? I bought them off the bay in Germany. The seller had 100 % good feedback and 65 Euros for 10 Grips seemed ok. I contacted Eaton but they didn't answer my mail. They also feel less tacky than the NDMCs I bought at a local retailer and they lost their grip pretty quick. I contacted the seller about my concerns and all he had to say was that Golf Pride manufactures their grips at different plants.

IMG_1018.JPG IMG_1020.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1021.JPG

Edited by cbeck, 03 April 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#24 Scuds20

Scuds20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

This pdf states "...sole American-based plant..."

Not saying if they're real or not, but the seller is full of crap.

#25 cbeck

cbeck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152971

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Scuds20, on 03 April 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

This pdf states "...sole American-based plant..."

Not saying if they're real or not, but the seller is full of crap.

I thought so too and sent them back. Got a full return. The only problem is that I already bought grips from this seller in the past and eventually sold the clubs I equipped with them... Regarding the fake aspect: There is a huge difference in the pattern of these little cross-shaped "dimples" on the grips. These 5 grips are 100 % authentic retail.
IMG_0999.JPG
It's easy to notice the difference. They also all have the same weight, 48 grams. The fakes differed from 46 to 53! The authentic ones also state the color and the "made in..." on the label at the butt end of the grip. The fakes obviously not.  

Btw, for all germans or europeans in general reading this thread: If you want to know the name/website of the seller, message me.

Edit:

The grips displayed above are definite fakes. Finally got an answer from Golf Pride/Eaton:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  After reading through your email and going through the pictures the grips you have identified are counterfeit.  Even the ones with the wrapping on them are counterfeit.  They have the wrong codes on them so they are 100% counterfeit.  The red ones are also counterfeit.  You mentioned that you purchased the grips from eBay.  Could you provide the eBay sellers name and any information you have on him?  We are currently working on taking many of the counterfeiters down on eBay and this information would be very helpful.  We have found that the majority of grips being sold on eBay are counterfeit.  This being said we do not recommend purchasing any grips from eBay. If you or anyone you know has any questions as to weather a grip is authentic please let me know before you purchase and I can help.  Once again thank you for the information and if you have any more questions please let me know.

Edited by cbeck, 03 April 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#26 kittington

kittington

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58597
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

So I called eBay and had them open up a case for my fake grips AND... they denied my claim and went in favor of the seller! It's not about the money but I just don't want others to get taken by this seller. The sellers ID is "slobimmer". The thing is that this seller knows that they are fake cause he sent me an email saying, "If you would have said something within the 3 days it says in my auction I would have had no problem refunding you your money.". He never denies that his grips are fakes or claims that they are real. Buyer beware!

#27 thevaporz

thevaporz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151963
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

So how do you shoot with those fake grips? Did they increase your handicap or something?

#28 Potatohead

Potatohead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124789
  • Ebay ID:n8s_stang
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

I just did a quick search on the Bay for multicompounds... Seriously it looks like about 90% of them on there are fake. There's just no way to get a set of 13 of these things for $75 or whatever.

#29 LASTSECONDAPEX

LASTSECONDAPEX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53027
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

While doing clubwork at Edwin Watts, I saw some of the first fakes to come through and they were awful. These look really close to the real thing- pretty crazy.

#30 jli2636

jli2636

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I just got mine in the mail the other day and I know they are fake from reading these threads after I received them. My question is, is there that big of a difference to warrant opening a claim? I had Sharpros on my old clubs that I had and I know the debate rages on about whether there is a difference or not, but Im hesitant to put them on my clubs. If they play like the sharpros then I will be ok with it. Any thoughts?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors