Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Adams SuperHybrid XTD STEEL Vs Titanium!


  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 scottvw13

scottvw13

    Oven Baked To A Crisp

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Joined: 07/12/2006
  • Location:The Big Bad City
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'll begin by apologizing for the terrible pics!  All I had was my Iphone...



So I went to an Adams demo day today and the rep had both the Titanium and steel versions of the Super Hybrid XTD.  I was there to hit the Titanium version, but this was a very nice surprise!

Pics are of the 15 degree version.



Ok, first the pics.


STEEL VERSION IS ON THE LEFT
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG



Look

The steel version is most definitely SMALLER The pic angles may look othersise, but I can assure you that it is noticeably smaller.  It may just be the footprint, as it appears to be slightly deeper as well when compared to the TI version.  They may have had to make it deeper in order to raise COR.

Also, the steel version appeared to be slightly more open at address.  To my eye, the TI version looked neutral, and the steel version looked 1 or 2 degrees open.

Shaft

The stock shaft in the Steel is the Matrix Ozik Program 7.1, and according to the rep, it is the real deal, not a "made for".    The shaft in the TI version is the real deal Fubuki AX350.  The Fubuki certainly felt more stable, and stouter than the Matrix.  The Matrix was very smooth, however.

Performance

Here is where the similarities end.  These are two totally different clubs.

All the reviews about the Ti are true.  This club is a LAUNCHER.  Incredibly hot face.  Was hitting high, hot, consistant draws.  Definitely low spin.  The feel of the TI is best described as soft.  I would call the TI the "forged" feel of fairway woods and hybrids.  The sound is a low, soft sounding thud.  Kind of like the Razr Fit driver.  Very pleasing.

The steel was very different.  It launched lower, with very low spin.  To the eye, it also didn't seem to be as hot.  I wish I had access to a launch monitor, cause that is the ownly real way to know 100%.  The sound was very tinny.  Like the R11.  Not very pleasing to my ear.  Overall, the steel was noticeably shorter than the Ti.

So the Ti version seems to be better than the steel in every way, except price of course.  It is $299, versus $199 vor the steel version.



On another note, while I have your attention, I have a bit of a fitting question regarding the Ti version.

I don't carry a 3 wood, using a 17 degree hybrid instead.  My next club is a 3 iron hybrid.

The Ti 17 degree launched very high, medium spin.  The 15 launched quite a bit lower, with lower spin.  I feel like the 17 launched a bit too high, but would hold greens if I needed it to.  The 15 would definitely be longer, especially off the tee.  But I am concerned that I won't be able to hold greens. I am considering either getting the 17 and having it bent 1 degree strong, or getting the 15 and having it bent 1 degree weak.



I need to fill the gap between my driver and my 3 iron hybrid that I carry 205-210.  What do you think I should do?  


Thanks!

Edited by scottvw13, 17 March 2012 - 06:13 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Knockdown

Knockdown

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 872
  • Joined: 05/25/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Good review.  Thanks for the pics.

#3 enis750

enis750

    What's a Facebook?

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105306
  • Joined: 03/24/2010
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:Low
  • Ebay ID:enis750
GolfWRX Likes : 231

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

the A12 pro was and IS such a sweet HYbrid, but I like how this looks as well (except I got motion sickness looking at ur pics ;) )
Nike VR Ltd. 9.5 Fuji Speeder 6.3 TS
Callaway X2HP 15 Aldila Tour Green 75
Adams DHy 24 Pro Force V2 100
Titleist 735 cm 5-P DGS300
Callaway MD 52, MD2 56s, 60c
TM Counter Balance MANTA 38"

#4 Lucho8

Lucho8

    The Lefty Mamba

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93223
  • Joined: 08/29/2009
  • Location:Orlando, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

I thought the XTD was only going to be offered in Titanium. I looked at their website and I do not see the steel option.
H&B Persimmon 12* Super Action Steel
H&B Persimmon 18* Super Action Steel
Miura Cavity 4-6-8-PW DG X100
Miura Raw 56* DG X100
Macgregor 600 #10 Putter
Wilson Staff Duo

#5 KUJayhawks

KUJayhawks

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116054
  • Joined: 10/12/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostLucho8, on 17 March 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

I thought the XTD was only going to be offered in Titanium. I looked at their website and I do not see the steel option.

Talked to the Adams rep yesterday and there will be a steel and Ti version.


#6 Lucho8

Lucho8

    The Lefty Mamba

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93223
  • Joined: 08/29/2009
  • Location:Orlando, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostKUJayhawks, on 17 March 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostLucho8, on 17 March 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

I thought the XTD was only going to be offered in Titanium. I looked at their website and I do not see the steel option.

Talked to the Adams rep yesterday and there will be a steel and Ti version.

Good to know! Thanks for the info.
H&B Persimmon 12* Super Action Steel
H&B Persimmon 18* Super Action Steel
Miura Cavity 4-6-8-PW DG X100
Miura Raw 56* DG X100
Macgregor 600 #10 Putter
Wilson Staff Duo

#7 Cameron Circle T

Cameron Circle T

    The Doc

  • Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9050
  • Joined: 12/25/2005
  • Location:Orange County, CA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

View Postscottvw13, on 17 March 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:


Shaft

The stock shaft in the Steel is the Matrix Ozik Program 7.1, and according to the rep, it is the real deal, not a "made for".    The shaft in the TI version is the real deal Fubuki AX350.  The Fubuki certainly felt more stable, and stouter than the Matrix.  The Matrix was very smooth, however.



Interesting review. The steel could be a cool option - but it's hard to get past that speed slot. The above is funny/weird since the only "real deal" Ozik Programs sold aftermarket are the 95-130 and wedge...no 7.1 or 8.1 is sold as a standalone (only as part of an Adams club) so it would seem to me these have to be a "made for" version

#8 oregondrew

oregondrew

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64048
  • Joined: 08/24/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

Why don't you add a 3 wood too. Fairways are going to launch higher and have a better chance of holding a green. Perhaps 3iHB, 19*/17* XTD, 3w, driver.

#9 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
  • Joined: 10/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

When do the steel versions come out?

#10 LObin

LObin

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109732
  • Joined: 06/20/2010
  • Location:Montreal, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the review !

I'd go with the 15* super hybrid (or maybe the XTD fairway).  The reason why is you want your 2nd longest club to be long enough off the tee and still give you an option for a longer 2nd shot on a par 5.
After all, like most of the golfer, if I need to hit a long 2nd from the fw, I'll grab my 3w and take a rip at it.  I don't see why you wouldn't do the same with a 15* super hybrid.  I might even be a bit easier to hit from the long grass compare to a regular 3w...

If it makes too much of a gap, maybe you need to look into getting a 15* and changing your 3hy for a 19* or 21* and see if the gap is better...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 moonshine

moonshine

    The Trace!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:Prattville, AL
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

Don't apologize for pics from the "iconic" iphone!  I thought everyone considered it the holy grail?  I think I would have issues over time with the slot, and don't really get the design behind bombing a hybrid.  I  need one to play gap yardage in my bag.  Thanks for the shaft comparison and good luck.  I second carrying a 3 wood, but I hit mine well from tight lies.

#12 fairwayallday

fairwayallday

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119340
  • Joined: 12/24/2010
  • Location:KC
  • Ebay ID:carycat71
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

What would be cool is if Adams could get the super fairway on shelves everywhere before introducing a new version of the XTD hybrid.

I have had one on order for weeks!!!

The Ti hybrid is great though, already have one in the bag.

#13 scottvw13

scottvw13

    Oven Baked To A Crisp

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Joined: 07/12/2006
  • Location:The Big Bad City
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostCameron Circle T, on 18 March 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:


Interesting review. The steel could be a cool option - but it's hard to get past that speed slot. The above is funny/weird since the only "real deal" Ozik Programs sold aftermarket are the 95-130 and wedge...no 7.1 or 8.1 is sold as a standalone (only as part of an Adams club) so it would seem to me these have to be a "made for" version

The Program shaft sure felt soft like most "made for" shafts.  But then again, I've never hit the real Program.

#14 scottvw13

scottvw13

    Oven Baked To A Crisp

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Joined: 07/12/2006
  • Location:The Big Bad City
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

View Postoregondrew, on 18 March 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Why don't you add a 3 wood too. Fairways are going to launch higher and have a better chance of holding a green. Perhaps 3iHB, 19*/17* XTD, 3w, driver.


I am simply much more consistant with a hybrid when compared to a 3W.

#15 scottvw13

scottvw13

    Oven Baked To A Crisp

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Joined: 07/12/2006
  • Location:The Big Bad City
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostLObin, on 18 March 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

Thanks for the review !

I'd go with the 15* super hybrid (or maybe the XTD fairway).  The reason why is you want your 2nd longest club to be long enough off the tee and still give you an option for a longer 2nd shot on a par 5.
After all, like most of the golfer, if I need to hit a long 2nd from the fw, I'll grab my 3w and take a rip at it.  I don't see why you wouldn't do the same with a 15* super hybrid.  I might even be a bit easier to hit from the long grass compare to a regular 3w...

If it makes too much of a gap, maybe you need to look into getting a 15* and changing your 3hy for a 19* or 21* and see if the gap is better...


As you suggest, I think I need to completely rethink my gaps.  Here is the situation (All Carry):

4 Iron - 195

3I Hyb - 205

15/17 Hyb - ?

Driver - 250

My concern is that if I go 15 hybrid, that I won't be able to stop it on the green if I need it for a long par 3.  Maybe I should go 19 hyb that carries say 215? I have the ability to get 200 out of my 4 iron if need be.

Thoughts?


#16 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
  • Joined: 10/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Anyone know the price point on the new steel versions?

#17 scottvw13

scottvw13

    Oven Baked To A Crisp

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Joined: 07/12/2006
  • Location:The Big Bad City
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 18 March 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Anyone know the price point on the new steel versions?


$199

#18 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
  • Joined: 10/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Postscottvw13, on 18 March 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 18 March 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Anyone know the price point on the new steel versions?


$199

Thanks, That's kind of what I thought it was going to be.  I'd prefer the Ti version just for distance purposes...

#19 ZJohnson

ZJohnson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76264
  • Joined: 02/27/2009
  • Location:Snottsdale, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I can 100% promise you that the Fubuki is not the real deal.

#20 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
  • Joined: 10/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostZJohnson, on 18 March 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

I can 100% promise you that the Fubuki is not the real deal.

Can you give us more details on why you state this.  Everyone states that Adams uses "real deal" shafts in this series.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Cameron Circle T

Cameron Circle T

    The Doc

  • Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9050
  • Joined: 12/25/2005
  • Location:Orange County, CA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Well we've already established that is not the truth given the made for Ozik Program they're using is not a real deal aftermarket offering from the program line...

Edited by Cameron Circle T, 18 March 2012 - 07:11 PM.


#22 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

    It's Good to be the Champ!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
  • Joined: 03/06/2006
  • Location:ORL
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostCameron Circle T, on 18 March 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

Well we've already established that is not the truth given the made for Ozik Program they're using is not a real deal aftermarket offering from the program line...

Adams often uses Matrix Shafts with a x.1 designation which are always made for shafts.  All other shafts I have seen are thought to be the aftermarket versions.
Callaway FT Tour 10.5 X-Con 5 s
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15 Kuro Kage 70 s
Adams Idea Pro 18, 20 VS Proto 80
Mizuno MP-60 4-P DG S400
Callaway X-Tour 54, X-Forged 59 S400
Rife Aussie 34.5"

#23 cschorer1979

cschorer1979

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103549
  • Joined: 02/16/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

The steel is absolutey insane.   Perfect combo of size and forgiveness.

However...TI is MONEY off the tee.

#24 ZJohnson

ZJohnson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76264
  • Joined: 02/27/2009
  • Location:Snottsdale, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 18 March 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostZJohnson, on 18 March 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

I can 100% promise you that the Fubuki is not the real deal.

Can you give us more details on why you state this.  Everyone states that Adams uses "real deal" shafts in this series.

Well first of all the sticker on the shaft says made in China, which is enough reason right there.  Also, I heard straight from the tour department that Adams/Mitsu has a contract with a company in China that is taking graphite shafts and painting them with the Fubuki color scheme.  This is obviously not the case for the aftermarket shafts.

#25 Qegurezi

Qegurezi

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29176
  • Joined: 05/19/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostZJohnson, on 18 March 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 18 March 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostZJohnson, on 18 March 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

I can 100% promise you that the Fubuki is not the real deal.

Can you give us more details on why you state this.  Everyone states that Adams uses "real deal" shafts in this series.

Well first of all the sticker on the shaft says made in China, which is enough reason right there.  Also, I heard straight from the tour department that Adams/Mitsu has a contract with a company in China that is taking graphite shafts and painting them with the Fubuki color scheme.  This is obviously not the case for the aftermarket shafts.


Could it be the real deal blank getting painted cheaper to suit cost targets?


#26 amrivew

amrivew

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127921
  • Joined: 05/02/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

So the Mitsubishi shafts in the Adams xtd line are just some crappy graphite shaft with a fubuki paint job?

#27 Mikka

Mikka

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128428
  • Joined: 05/10/2011
  • Location:Melbourne
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

View Postamrivew, on 19 March 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

So the Mitsubishi shafts in the Adams xtd line are just some crappy graphite shaft with a fubuki paint job?


No way that they would do this.

#28 Bucken77

Bucken77

    Poor Mans Ho

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78551
  • Joined: 03/28/2009
  • Location:Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:bucken77
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Man I was about to shell out the cash for this. Would like to know the answer if this is a real deal Fubuki because that is the only thing that truly justifies the high cost

#29 shadowCLV

shadowCLV

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71518
  • Joined: 12/29/2008
  • Ebay ID:shoota306
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

ZJohnson..where do u get this info? Do tell. Im having a very hard time believing this...

#30 mjwidell

mjwidell

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6181
  • Joined: 09/22/2005
  • Location:Pacific Northwest
  • Handicap:+1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostZJohnson, on 18 March 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

I can 100% promise you that the Fubuki is not the real deal.

Wanna put a wager on that?  (cool)

Nike Covert Tour Fuji TS 6.3X
Callaway 3Deep 13* Fuji TS 7.3X
Adams LSP 18* Matrix Altus X
Fourteen FH1000 3-5 PC, 6-PW Blade SPB X
TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Slant
Cleveland 588 Forged 52*/58* DG Spinner+

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors