Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

golfbids.net golfer's penny auction site?

412 replies to this topic

#31 mistahkim

mistahkim

Mistahkim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122940
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Postceogb, on 15 March 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

View Postmistahkim, on 13 March 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

I recently ran across this site last week.

Like some golfers out there, shelling out $400 for a driver isn't really happening for me.  So I'll admit  I was curious about this site.

Having checked out other auction sites like dealdash.com or quibids and won and received some items in the past,  I decided to check out this site.

After being a registered member for about 2 weeks, the site seems to still be its early stages.  even the webpage states that it's in its "beta" stage.

Although initially they had some unrealistic reserves for their penny auctions, it seems that they finally got it together and removed the reserves.

I recently won a few auctions listed below:

Titleist ProV1 balls for $14
Titleist Vokey SM4 Forged Wedge for $4.77

and most recently

Taylormade R11s driver for ONLY $12.02.

While these wins are great, I'm  honestly still am not sure if this site is %100 legit.  

BUT...the two main reasons I took the plunge was..

1. All transactions are completed through paypal and guaranteed by their buyer protection.  (Having been an ebayer for a over 10 years, I've come to put a lot trust in paypal's services.)

2.  Given the above fact...as this site is still in its fledgling stages I'm assuming there will be less registered users, thus an increase in probability of winning these auctions, unlike some quibids, which has become over saturated with users.

Since I just won these auctions I'm still waiting for the products to actually arrive.  So I guess i'll have no idea whether or not this thing is legitimate until I authenticate my new driver, balls, and wedge.  

I'll be sure to follow up with an update soon.  

Until then...  i'm sure checking out this site will be worth the harmless peek

I want to know what others think about this site.

Sent you a tracking # for 1 of your items but everything has shipped so you should be very happy in few days.

Thanks!    Got the tracking #.

I'll be lying if didn't say that I'm pretty excited.

Congrats on the 1.5 million hits btw.

Everyone else stay tuned for a followup with pictures.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 jdubbs

jdubbs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51097
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

This might be a stupid question, but with the drivers you have on there now, the Titleiest and Ping, the picture is RH, now, do we have the option for a LH club if we choose? Cause it doesn't specifically say which hand.

THanks

#33 mistahkim

mistahkim

Mistahkim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122940
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

View Postjdubbs, on 15 March 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

This might be a stupid question, but with the drivers you have on there now, the Titleiest and Ping, the picture is RH, now, do we have the option for a LH club if we choose? Cause it doesn't specifically say which hand.

THanks

The streaming announcement banner directly above the bids say that you can order any club to any standard manufacturer specification RH or LH.  I think the auction description itself says something about certain specifications may take longer to process though.

edit:

The LH is only if the manufacturer actually provides a LH version of it.

Edited by mistahkim, 15 March 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#34 jdubbs

jdubbs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51097
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

ok gotcha,

thanks for the reply.

#35 baseballfrk8998

baseballfrk8998

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124978
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

I wonder how Ping feels about this given their MAP pricing policy that they're so strict on..

Edited by baseballfrk8998, 15 March 2012 - 06:35 PM.

8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
14.5* RBZ Tour // Aldila NV 85s
18* Callaway X Utility // PXi 6.0
RocketBladez Tour 4-AW // S-300
58* Callaway X Forged // KBS Tour S

#36 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108552
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

View Postbaseballfrk8998, on 15 March 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

I wonder how Ping feels about this given their MAP pricing policy that they're so strict on..

It's possible they don't buy direct from Ping....
Callaway Optiforce - Kiyoshi Purple
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway Xhot 5-SW - Graphite Shafts
Vokey 60 degree/STX Putter

#37 baseballfrk8998

baseballfrk8998

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124978
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

View Postjabrch, on 15 March 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

View Postbaseballfrk8998, on 15 March 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

It's possible they don't buy direct from Ping....

Oh.. I didn't think of that! Makes perfect sense.
8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
14.5* RBZ Tour // Aldila NV 85s
18* Callaway X Utility // PXi 6.0
RocketBladez Tour 4-AW // S-300
58* Callaway X Forged // KBS Tour S

#38 blink3665

blink3665

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132182
  • Ebay ID:blink3665blink
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Ugh.  I already can't stay away from the BST.  I may do myself and my pocketbook a favor and stay away.  My addictive personality may not be able to take it!
Ping Anser 12* Kusala White TI 61S
V-Steel 5w RIPa 80
TMag UDI #3
714 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour R+ 1*up
Cally Jaws MD 50/54/58
Slighter Proto #9HT long neck

#39 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 778

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

There are a lot of similar websites popping up. Some market just about anything you could think while others specialize; one I heard advertised on the radio specializes in expensive purses of all things. This site is golf's version. The business model is exactly the same.

For and on the record I don't opt to participate in these sites at all. I just don't like the marketing methods used. They all make it sound as if you are going to go to the site, pay a fraction of the actual cost of an item, be guaranteed to "win" it, and come away with the bargains of a lifetime. The reality is that for every one person who "wins", tens or hundreds of others lose. Quibids is already involved in a class action as a result.

So long as anyone going to these websites knows up front that odds are they will not "win", and therefore probably will not end up getting the item unless they pay the listed retail amount, then in my humble it is pretty harmless. Sort of like buying a lottery ticket in my view; you buy it thinking (perhaps hoping) that you will be the lucky one. But in the back of your mind you know you just wasted that buck.

"Sine labore nihil"

Definitely applies to websites such as this....
TM R1
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
TM Spider 37" Counterweighted

#40 TG19077

TG19077

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56759
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

sounds a little sketchy to me but who knows. I am interested in hearing what happens with the items.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 blink3665

blink3665

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132182
  • Ebay ID:blink3665blink
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm just watching it right now.  It's pretty interesting how the same people are bidding back and forth on an i20.  It has gone from $1.09 to 2.83 in the last 10 minutes... expensive!

Ping Anser 12* Kusala White TI 61S
V-Steel 5w RIPa 80
TMag UDI #3
714 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour R+ 1*up
Cally Jaws MD 50/54/58
Slighter Proto #9HT long neck

#42 DocHolliday

DocHolliday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135699
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Ha that I20 is up to 6 bucks now, but I think the one dude who won a couple things earlier is just using his free couple hundred bids to keep on keepin on.

#43 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 646

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Just so I'm clear here.

On one hand, a WRX user is raked through the coals and his moral compass is judged by the Mods (and mob) for putting up a 'Driver Love' TMAG headcover he had won on this site on the BST.

On the other hand a Penny Auction site is welcomed with open arms.

Got it.

#44 andrewtate

andrewtate

Give it a little tappy tap tap taparoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114705
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

View Postceogb, on 15 March 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostDugan408, on 15 March 2012 - 03:01 AM, said:

Thanks for the link. I'm staying away from this site. All of these stories about bot-programs and shill-bidding makes me distrust any kind of form of on-line auction, especially ebay.

Golfbids clearly states " Golf bids does not utilize any form of automatic bidding such as "bid bots" or "shill" bidding on our auctions. Additionally all employees and employee family members are prohibited from ever bidding on any auction on Golf Bids."

Additionally the time to use such programs( which we don't) would be early on  and I believe the originator of this thread said he was 7 for 7 so I'd say proof is in the pudding.

And we know this how? The originator of this thread has 11 posts, 10 of which are all related to your site. Hmm. Sketchy for sure.

#45 ckates7

ckates7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110215
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Postandrewtate, on 15 March 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

View Postceogb, on 15 March 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostDugan408, on 15 March 2012 - 03:01 AM, said:

Thanks for the link. I'm staying away from this site. All of these stories about bot-programs and shill-bidding makes me distrust any kind of form of on-line auction, especially ebay.

Golfbids clearly states " Golf bids does not utilize any form of automatic bidding such as "bid bots" or "shill" bidding on our auctions. Additionally all employees and employee family members are prohibited from ever bidding on any auction on Golf Bids."

Additionally the time to use such programs( which we don't) would be early on  and I believe the originator of this thread said he was 7 for 7 so I'd say proof is in the pudding.

And we know this how? The originator of this thread has 11 posts, 10 of which are all related to your site. Hmm. Sketchy for sure.

my thoughts exactly

#46 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostMedic, on 15 March 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

There are a lot of similar websites popping up. Some market just about anything you could think while others specialize; one I heard advertised on the radio specializes in expensive purses of all things. This site is golf's version. The business model is exactly the same.

For and on the record I don't opt to participate in these sites at all. I just don't like the marketing methods used. They all make it sound as if you are going to go to the site, pay a fraction of the actual cost of an item, be guaranteed to "win" it, and come away with the bargains of a lifetime. The reality is that for every one person who "wins", tens or hundreds of others lose. Quibids is already involved in a class action as a result.

So long as anyone going to these websites knows up front that odds are they will not "win", and therefore probably will not end up getting the item unless they pay the listed retail amount, then in my humble it is pretty harmless. Sort of like buying a lottery ticket in my view; you buy it thinking (perhaps hoping) that you will be the lucky one. But in the back of your mind you know you just wasted that buck.

"Sine labore nihil"

If they were marketed that way, I'd agree with you.  They aren't....for a reason.  They prey on hope and dreams worse than the lottery does.  Fortunately golfers usually have the disposable income that this won't have serious impacts...other sites - not so much.

#47 ckates7

ckates7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110215
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Postjabrch, on 15 March 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

"Sine labore nihil"

If they were marketed that way, I'd agree with you.  They aren't....for a reason.  They prey on hope and dreams worse than the lottery does.  Fortunately golfers usually have the disposable income that this won't have serious impacts...other sites - not so much.

especially when you have 2 "people" autobidding for it, it really raises eyebrows

#48 andrewtate

andrewtate

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

It's capitalism at its worst. They advertise these "low bids" when they are actually higher. For example, they advertise an item at $6.00 when its really gained $300 in revenue (6.00 / .01 x .50). Who is controlling whether or not they just have scripts raising bids? No one. Yeah, it's business, but corrupted business.

#49 TG19077

TG19077

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56759
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I just checked the site out and it does look legit but the way people are bidding is just fishy IMO. Ill stick with WRX its easier and safer.

#50 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

View Postckates7, on 15 March 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postjabrch, on 15 March 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

"Sine labore nihil"

especially when you have 2 "people" autobidding for it, it really raises eyebrows

How do you know it was just two people autobidding?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 stimpmeterp

stimpmeterp

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33985
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Like some golfers out there, shelling out $400 for a driver isn't really happening for me.  So I'll admit  I was curious about this site.

Having checked out other auction sites like dealdash.com or quibids and won and received some items in the past,  I decided to check out this site.

After being a registered member for about 2 weeks, the site seems to still be its early stages.  even the webpage states that it's in its "beta" stage.

Although initially they had some unrealistic reserves for their penny auctions, it seems that they finally got it together and removed the reserves.

and most recently

While these wins are great, I'm  honestly still am not sure if this site is %100 legit.  

1. All transactions are completed through paypal and guaranteed by their buyer protection.  (Having been an ebayer for a over 10 years, I've come to put a lot trust in paypal's services.)

2.  Given the above fact...as this site is still in its fledgling stages I'm assuming there will be less registered users, thus an increase in probability of winning these auctions, unlike some quibids, which has become over saturated with users.

Since I just won these auctions I'm still waiting for the products to actually arrive.  So I guess i'll have no idea whether or not this thing is legitimate until I authenticate my new driver, balls, and wedge.  

And you're not affiliated with the site?  C'mon, man.
Bethesda, MD
7 hcp.

#52 andrewtate

andrewtate

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Poststimpmeterp, on 15 March 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

and most recently

Exactly. 10 out of 11 of his posts are about that site.

#53 ceogb

ceogb

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169229
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

and most recently

I can assure you he is not. I have never met or even talked to him on the phone and all our communications(email) are about his winning bids

#54 andrewtate

andrewtate

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

View Postceogb, on 15 March 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

and most recently

I can assure you he is not. I have never met or even talked to him on the phone and all our communications are about his winning bids

Why would you have to talk to him on the phone? So he just registered to golfwrx to talk to you about his bids? haha Silly excuse. BUSTED Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by andrewtate, 15 March 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#55 andrewtate

andrewtate

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Funny watching these bids. Timer gets down to 0:00, pauses, than restarts to the 0:15 with an autobid.

#56 Hutch306

Hutch306

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125966
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

View Postjabrch, on 15 March 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

How do you know it was just two people autobidding?

The bid shows you if it was an "Autobid" or a "Button" so you can tell who is doing what...It also tells you the number of unique bidders in the past 5 minutes (ie 6 bidders in last 5 minutes, even though those 6 bidders have submitted hundreds of bids...

#57 andrewtate

andrewtate

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

If the numbers are true, Richard (ceogb) made $3803 on a $350 SC putter. Capitalism at its best.

#58 andrewtate

andrewtate

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Actually, he already made his money when they bought the "bid packages".

#59 timbo08

timbo08

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105122
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

View Postandrewtate, on 15 March 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

If the numbers are true, Richard (ceogb) made $3803 on a $350 SC putter. Capitalism at its best.

How so?  It is $.50 cents a bid for 340 bids?

#60 TheMackDaddy

TheMackDaddy

Butyraceous

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128677
  • Ebay ID:capebretoner
GolfWRX Likes : 791

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

This thread is good Thursday night entertainment if I do say so myself.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors