Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How to fit the shorter golfer?

57 replies to this topic

#1 michael.martinez

michael.martinez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29699
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Ok, so I'm just going to come out and say it....  Being short in stature (5'3" to be exact) sucks when it comes to golf.  What I consider short is someone that is 5'6" and below (MY Opinion).  So my question to all fellow golfwrx members and non-members is this, how do you build a golf set for the shorter golfer????

Let me elaborate, how do club makers build a set that is one inch shorter than standard and still achieve the same characteristics as a standard golf set?

Example:

Player A requires a set of clubs that are standard L/L/L with Dynamic Gold S300 @ a D2 SW

Player B requires the same clubs but minus 1 inch....How do you make a set minus one inch with the same characteristics as Player A's golf clubs? shaft stiffness, weight, etc etc.

To my understanding, adding head weight brings the swing weight back to the original setting but also changes the balance point (already changed due to cutting the shaft down an extra inch) AND the characteristics of the shaft in general.

Help me understand this....

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 scottvw13

scottvw13

VaporWRX!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

michael.martinez, on 12 March 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Ok, so I'm just going to come out and say it....  Being short in stature (5'3" to be exact) sucks when it comes to golf.  What I consider short is someone that is 5'6" and below (MY Opinion).  So my question to all fellow golfwrx members and non-members is this, how do you build a golf set for the shorter golfer????

Let me elaborate, how do club makers build a set that is one inch shorter than standard and still achieve the same characteristics as a standard golf set?

Example:

Player A requires a set of clubs that are standard L/L/L with Dynamic Gold S300 @ a D2 SW

Player B requires the same clubs but minus 1 inch....How do you make a set minus one inch with the same characteristics as Player A's golf clubs? shaft stiffness, weight, etc etc.

To my understanding, adding head weight brings the swing weight back to the original setting but also changes the balance point (already changed due to cutting the shaft down an extra inch) AND the characteristics of the shaft in general.

Michael,

I'm 5'6" and a 2 handicap.  I totally feel your pain.

PM me and I'll be happy to answer any question you have.

Even give you my number to talk..

Scott

#3 SpinMill75

SpinMill75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66455
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

I'm 5" 6"....so I guess I'm in this party.  To be honest, I'm not a clubfitter.  I let my fitter work out all the details for me and my swing.

#4 michael.martinez

michael.martinez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Scott/Spin, Thank you for responding.  Much appreciated.

To all: Doesn't matter if you're one is a club fitter or not, I will appreciate the response.

I'm just trying to get something going for the shorter golfer.  Most articles are for average to tall stature people.  It would be nice to see some talk about how clubs are made for short golfers.

I'm planning to get fitted this month in San Antonio.  BUT I really want to understand how building a club for the shorter golf really works...

#5 joey3108

joey3108

Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

• Charter Sponsors
  • 7,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

Not about height only here!

It's all combination of Height, Arm length, Torso length, swing type/set up and handicap/skill level, etc. Those are on the club length set up...

When it come to swingweight....Is not a must to build a club at D2, however lots of factors to consider before i can say what can or cant be done. No one can say D2 is standard, but of course stay as normal as possible if we can to make an easy transition when emergency push us to play a rental club for example.

To me, Anything can be done...even require an extreme modification.

Extensive and careful fitting is key here IMO! Lots of testing if I have to. It could be simple, it could be not...we won't know until a proper in house fitting performed.

So to answer your question on this is not easy without a real fitting.

Just bare in mind, in 20 years in this business...I never fit and found anyone 1" short on the iron. SO I would be very careful on that.

Joe

#6 minhjn

minhjn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101642
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

joey3108, on 12 March 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

It's all combination of Height, Arm length, Torso length, swing type/set up and handicap/skill level, etc. Those are on the club length set up...

When it come to swingweight....Is not a must to build a club at D2, however lots of factors to consider before i can say what can or cant be done. No one can say D2 is standard, but of course stay as normal as possible if we can to make an easy transition when emergency push us to play a rental club for example.

Extensive and careful fitting is key here IMO! Lots of testing if I have to. It could be simple, it could be not...we won't know until a proper in house fitting performed.

Just bare in mind, in 20 years in this business...I never fit and found anyone 1" short on the iron. SO I would be very careful on that.

Joe

agreed, height isn't the only factor in determining iron lengths

#7 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

Since 1" under is very rarely necessary for a set of irons, unless you're using heads that can't be adjusted flat enough, consider going 1/2" under which will make the custom build for the actual head weights and shaft flex much easier.

To maintain Swingweight/MOI, for every 1/2" shorter you need to increase the head weight by 7-8 grams.  If you double this with a full inch under, it makes things much more difficult, if you fit into the most "normal" range for swingweight/MOI.

#8 JonT

JonT

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46187
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

I am 5'5" (w/o shoes) with longer arms for my height, and still use standard length clubs adjusted 2 to 3 degrees flat. Tried 1/2 inch short from men's standard length and it did not work for me, but it may for you. If petite LPGA golfers are able to use men's standard length clubs then I certainly should be able to as well.

Ian Woosnam, who won the 1991 Master's tournament is 5'5" and used 1" over length irons for a time in his playing career.

Good luck in your quest;-)
"No one knows what will happen in
golf until it happens. All you can do
Is work and suffer and
wait for fate."
Bobby Jones

#9 michael.martinez

michael.martinez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

To All and Mr. Kwok, thank you for the responses.  I've always been interested in finding out how this all works for the small golfer.  Well, how club fitting works in general etc etc.

Thank you again.

#10 GooseHook

GooseHook

Do you not?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 2049

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

5-9 here, but with a 30" inseam and pretty long arms. I play my irons just a quarter inch short, but lie angles get flatter as it goes down the set.  My wedges are all 3* flat from standard, because it just works for me.

Make sure you find a good fitter and dynamically check your lie angles (ball flight/lie board)..that's the only way to make sure they're right.

When it comes to woods though, the driver can be shortened for a lot of people.  It's different for everyone, but you've got tall guys (DJ) playing 44.5" on the tour, and even as short as 43.5". For my height, 44" is the sweet spot.

Bio Cell Pro
PING G25 , Elements MK
SLDR Rescue 24, Speeder 9.8 HB
JPX 825 Pro/ MP- T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

GooseHook, on 13 March 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

5-9 here, but with a 30" inseam and pretty long arms. I play my irons just a quarter inch short, but lie angles get flatter as it goes down the set.  My wedges are all 3* flat from standard, because it just works for me.

Make sure you find a good fitter and dynamically check your lie angles (ball flight/lie board)..that's the only way to make sure they're right.

When it comes to woods though, the driver can be shortened for a lot of people.  It's different for everyone, but you've got tall guys (DJ) playing 44.5" on the tour, and even as short as 43.5". For my height, 44" is the sweet spot.

Just about anyone can hit a 37" club regardless of their height and arm length, however not many can consistently hit a 45+" club

#12 rocker40

rocker40

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97266
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

What driver length do you play?  Im 5'6" and play 45" drver.  But am considering going shorter.

#13 pwrfade

pwrfade

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16127
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

I fit into this category at 5'8" - Ping webfit would put me in an upright club (Blue which is 3/4 of a degree up) and slightly short (- 1/4 inch)

This is all driven by wrist to floor at 34 inch.  I have hit that set up and the static fitting is pretty dead on - so as others have said - can not just assume shorter player = substantially shorter club or flatter club - have to take in the full picture of how you are built - and your own unique swing characteristics - one thing related to lie angle - and it may just be me - but I do not see  substantially different results between modestly more upright and moderately flat clubs - think it is a combination of swing to swing variability and the fact that I am more a picker - so turf / sole interaction does not come into play too much with either the sole or toe digging hard and causing the face to open or close depending on the lie angle.

Edited by pwrfade, 13 March 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#14 onetime19

onetime19

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122469
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm five foot eight and I play my irons half inch short two flat D3 and it sets up perfect for me

#15 lukesmurf59

lukesmurf59

Look at me, look at me... WHA-PANG!! LET'S GO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122208
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

A measurement like length is not determined by height, it is wrist to floor.  Short guys can require overlength if they have especially short arms.  Conversely tall guys with really long arms can need short shafts.
While the height effects wrist to floor, this is the main measurement.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT 60S
Titleist 913f 13.5 Diamana S+ 72 S
Callaway Razr X Tour 18 Fubuki AX 400h X
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18 PXi 6.0
Callaway TA X Prototype PX Flighted 6.0
Odyssey Metal X #7 Arm Lock

#16 fillphil

fillphil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40107
  • Ebay ID:gamayrose

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Example:

#17 fillphil

fillphil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Example:

#18 Golfdoctor

Golfdoctor

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73113
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm 5'6" and have a 34 1/4" wrist to Floor measurement. Ping has me at -1/4" length and Blue 3/4* upright.   I've hit off a Black lie board with tape on the bottom of the iron and it comes out 1 1/2* upright (yellow) with standard length, and I always thought i was a flat lie.

#19 fillphil

fillphil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

To start with, you might take a yard stick and measure the length from floor to wrist. Compare that to the many fitting charts you can find on the web that give "suggestions" as to the length you should consider on your clubs. If it tells you that 1/2" shorter is a place to start, then choke down on a regular length club and try it. Actually, nearly all golfers would improve with somewhat shorter clubs..

When you find a length that feels best then club alterations can be made (swingweight, loft, lie etc) to enhance the feel

Good Luck!

#20 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106301
GolfWRX Likes : 1169

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

pwrfade, on 13 March 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

I fit into this category at 5'8" - Ping webfit would put me in an upright club (Blue which is 3/4 of a degree up) and slightly short (- 1/4 inch)

This is all driven by wrist to floor at 34 inch.  I have hit that set up and the static fitting is pretty dead on - so as others have said - can not just assume shorter player = substantially shorter club or flatter club - have to take in the full picture of how you are built - and your own unique swing characteristics - one thing related to lie angle - and it may just be me - but I do not see  substantially different results between modestly more upright and moderately flat clubs - think it is a combination of swing to swing variability and the fact that I am more a picker - so turf / sole interaction does not come into play too much with either the sole or toe digging hard and causing the face to open or close depending on the lie angle.

Not likely, because lie angle dispersion has nothing to do with turf interaction.  Its hard to comprehend without demonstrating it for yourself, but the lie angle actually changes the face angle on its own.  Take something long, like a pencil with a flat eraser on the end, and place the flat end completely flat against the iron face.  Now change the lie angle back and forth from toe up to toe down and youll see how the direction of the shot is affected.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 tourhopefull

tourhopefull

• 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149705
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

joey3108, on 12 March 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

Joe

Vey true! I was just fit the other day for mp 59s and I am your average height 5ft 10in but my fitter explained that with my posture and the fact that my arms are very long for my height ( he said my arms are more the length of someone thats 6ft 1in.) that I needed shafts that were 1/2 in shorter than std and need to be 3* flat. Your club specs will depend on a bunch of different things. Go to a fitter that knows what they are doing. you can always check out golf digests top 100 fitters and see if there are any close to you. Also I wrote about my experience being fitted in another post I will see if I can link it but there are a lot of people who just want you money and will say they can tell your specs by looking at you and watching you swing. You should find someone that knows what they are really doing and fits you properly cause to me 700 bucks is alot to spend on something that isnt perfect. Good luck
Here is the link to my fitting experience: http://www.golfwrx.c...t-a-difference/

Edited by tourhopefull, 17 March 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#22 kloyd0306

kloyd0306

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89787
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Submit your physical specs into the Dimensional 3A System at RedBird Sports - redbirdsports.com

Height is one factor but not the most important.

#23 Lefty Light HItter

Lefty Light HItter

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106819
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

GooseHook, on 13 March 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

When you cut yours down to 44" did you change to a heavier shaft?  Did the ball flight come down?  I am 5'-8" and want to cut mine down to 44" or so, but I am afraid of lowering the flight and making the shaft too light.
In search of solid contact...

#24 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Ebay ID:brentregis
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

5'7 no shoes. Im -1/4 and 2* flat by mizunos fitting cart

#25 pwrfade

pwrfade

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

RJRJRJ, on 16 March 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

Not likely, because lie angle dispersion has nothing to do with turf interaction.  Its hard to comprehend without demonstrating it for yourself, but the lie angle actually changes the face angle on its own.  Take something long, like a pencil with a flat eraser on the end, and place the flat end completely flat against the iron face.  Now change the lie angle back and forth from toe up to toe down and youll see how the direction of the shot is affected.

Thanks - that makes perfect sense to me - and the visual you gave made it very clear - much appreciated.  I guess what I was thinking - is that what changes that face to twist one way or the other to point the pencil either right or left is either the sole or toe coming into ground contact first - but in my case I am such a picker that neither come into strong ground contact - but then again I guess it takes just a little contact to twist that face ever so slightly.

I am playing my RazrX irons 1 flat right now and I am tending to miss slightly left - just have not been able to zero in on is it my swing, my alignment, shaft flex (they have the uniflex which I actually like the feel - swingspeed is mid 80s with the 5 iron), or possibly I need the lie angle a little more flat - my best guess is it probably is a combo of all these factors - think it is time to go hit everyone of the clubs off a lie board and at least try to zero in on the lie part of the equation. I hit them pretty solid for a 10 handicap - and the miss is little more than 5 - 9 yards left - so not a sweeping hook or dead pull - but still off the mark.  My traditional miss used to be right - now with the RazrX it is slightly left - a ball flight I need to adjust myself to seeing.

Thanks again for the helpful visual.

Edited by pwrfade, 18 March 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#26 pwrfade

pwrfade

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

pwrfade, on 18 March 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

RJRJRJ, on 16 March 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

Thanks - that makes perfect sense to me - and the visual you gave made it very clear - much appreciated.  I guess what I was thinking - is that what changes that face to twist one way or the other to point the pencil either right or left is either the sole or toe coming into ground contact first - but in my case I am such a picker that neither come into strong ground contact - but then again I guess it takes just a little contact to twist that face ever so slightly.

I am playing my RazrX irons 1 flat right now and I am tending to miss slightly left - just have not been able to zero in on is it my swing, my alignment, shaft flex (they have the uniflex which I actually like the feel - swingspeed is mid 80s with the 5 iron), or possibly I need the lie angle a little more flat - my best guess is it probably is a combo of all these factors - think it is time to go hit everyone of the clubs off a lie board and at least try to zero in on the lie part of the equation. I hit them pretty solid for a 10 handicap - and the miss is little more than 5 - 9 yards left - so not a sweeping hook or dead pull - but still off the mark.  My traditional miss used to be right - now with the RazrX it is slightly left - a ball flight I need to adjust myself to seeing.

Thanks again for the helpful visual.

Sitting here watching some March Madness - which it certainly has been - Mizz and Duke out early among others - anyway, it just hit me what you were saying - if you even just rock the head toe to heel not even thinking about ground contact that will cause the face to ever so slightly point either right or left - I always thought it was the turf interaction - guess that can add to it - but even as a picker I now see I have to be a bit more diligent on zeroing in on this fitting dimension - learn something every time I visit this site!  

Thanks again

Think I get it now - thanks for the insight

#27 Awalkspoiled

Awalkspoiled

Major Winner

• 3,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3924
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

One inch underlength is almost never necessary, but for underlength assemblies I'll spend a lot of time determining what kind of swingweight allows the golfer to feel the head amd shaft working together. Many players will feel fine at C8 IF the flex of the shaft is adjusted accordingly. I might hardstep R400 or just install straight in for a player whose swingsped might otherwise suggest S300, becaue at the lower swingweight the shaft need to be softer to work properly.

With shorter players I'll also determine how long a club feels usable, before switching to hybrids. If a 37" club is the longest which works consistently, that might mean building only to 6i before finding another option - readily bendable hybrids can really help
Taylormade 300 Tour Holy Grail/6Q3
Cally XHP 15/Altus
Cally XHP 18/23/ Saga/Altus hb
5-GW RBT/Program 95/130
Scratch D/D 54/Program 130
Bettinardi QB3

#28 Vin Decel

Vin Decel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170576
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Greetings gentlemen,

Been lurking for a while but thought I'd finally join and share my experiences after spotting this thread.  I'm 5'7, with a wrist to floor measurement of 32".  I recently cut my driver to 44.5" and loved the change so much that I decided to do the same for my 3 wood and hybrid club.  Best improvement was in my driver - no discernible decrease in distance, and in fact I feel like I've gained distance since I'm heaps more accurate.  Being an R11, I was able to add weights to bring the swing weight up to a D2, but I haven't done anything of the other clubs.  There's also been a definite accuracy boost in the 3 wood with no ostensible distance loss, but my hybrid is no better than before (no worse either).  I just can't hit that club very well and now it seems a little 'flighty' so I guess I'll try the lead tape route next.  

Being in the market for irons, I recently went thru 3 different fittings while making sure to try out the shorter shaft lengths - 1st fitter rec'd a half inch shorter shaft since he saw I was choking down anyways, 2nd fitter was a Mizuno demo-day guy that didn't want me in a shorter shaft at all, and the 3rd fitter concurred with the 1st fitter's opinion.  Being a 4th year 'novice', these were my first ever true fitting experiences and I must say I'm still unsure which route to go.  The shorter shaft did feel a tad more comfortable, and I hit the ball extremely well with both club heads tried (JPX 800 & AP1).  Again, the loss in distance compared to a standard length shaft was not really noticeable (3 yard avg loss during 1st sesion, no loss at all during 2nd session).  Accuracy seemed slightly improved, but probably fell within an acceptable margin of error.  To make matters worse, I also hit the ball well with the standard length shaft, without choking down as usual, during the Mizuno demo session (no monitor & no short shaft).  I guess I was just having a good week striking the ball.  Obviously, I have more homework to do before I drop my hard earned scratch on a new set of sticks.  I do have some additional questions for the experts here that I hope might be of interest to others in similar situations:

1.  When measuring wrist to floor, should this be bare foot, 'regular' shoes, or golf shoes?  I've seen the 'regular' shoe suggestion on the internets, but seriously, what the heck are 'regular' shoes anyways?  Wouldn't it make sense to be measured in one's own golf shoes?

2.  I haven't noticed many used iron sets for sale that have been been cut down at all, which leads me to think that it isn't a very common or recommended practice.  Can one of you experienced club fitters weigh in on the pros and cons of doing so?  I realize comfort is most important, but for those of us that are still relatively new to the game, perhaps we don't have a proper sense of what that comfort level should be, if you catch my drift.  Also, being the geeky gear ho that I'm quickly becoming, I'm wondering if it'll effect the 're-sellability' of the clubs?

3.  An earlier poster commented on this - would bending the lie angle (in my case 2 degrees flat) have a noticeable effect on the loft?

Thanks!

Vin Decel

#29 scottvw13

scottvw13

VaporWRX!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Vin Decel, on 22 March 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

Greetings gentlemen,

Been lurking for a while but thought I'd finally join and share my experiences after spotting this thread.  I'm 5'7, with a wrist to floor measurement of 32".  I recently cut my driver to 44.5" and loved the change so much that I decided to do the same for my 3 wood and hybrid club.  Best improvement was in my driver - no discernible decrease in distance, and in fact I feel like I've gained distance since I'm heaps more accurate.  Being an R11, I was able to add weights to bring the swing weight up to a D2, but I haven't done anything of the other clubs.  There's also been a definite accuracy boost in the 3 wood with no ostensible distance loss, but my hybrid is no better than before (no worse either).  I just can't hit that club very well and now it seems a little 'flighty' so I guess I'll try the lead tape route next.  

Being in the market for irons, I recently went thru 3 different fittings while making sure to try out the shorter shaft lengths - 1st fitter rec'd a half inch shorter shaft since he saw I was choking down anyways, 2nd fitter was a Mizuno demo-day guy that didn't want me in a shorter shaft at all, and the 3rd fitter concurred with the 1st fitter's opinion.  Being a 4th year 'novice', these were my first ever true fitting experiences and I must say I'm still unsure which route to go.  The shorter shaft did feel a tad more comfortable, and I hit the ball extremely well with both club heads tried (JPX 800 & AP1).  Again, the loss in distance compared to a standard length shaft was not really noticeable (3 yard avg loss during 1st sesion, no loss at all during 2nd session).  Accuracy seemed slightly improved, but probably fell within an acceptable margin of error.  To make matters worse, I also hit the ball well with the standard length shaft, without choking down as usual, during the Mizuno demo session (no monitor & no short shaft).  I guess I was just having a good week striking the ball.  Obviously, I have more homework to do before I drop my hard earned scratch on a new set of sticks.  I do have some additional questions for the experts here that I hope might be of interest to others in similar situations:

1.  When measuring wrist to floor, should this be bare foot, 'regular' shoes, or golf shoes?  I've seen the 'regular' shoe suggestion on the internets, but seriously, what the heck are 'regular' shoes anyways?  Wouldn't it make sense to be measured in one's own golf shoes?

2.  I haven't noticed many used iron sets for sale that have been been cut down at all, which leads me to think that it isn't a very common or recommended practice.  Can one of you experienced club fitters weigh in on the pros and cons of doing so?  I realize comfort is most important, but for those of us that are still relatively new to the game, perhaps we don't have a proper sense of what that comfort level should be, if you catch my drift.  Also, being the geeky gear ho that I'm quickly becoming, I'm wondering if it'll effect the 're-sellability' of the clubs?

3.  An earlier poster commented on this - would bending the lie angle (in my case 2 degrees flat) have a noticeable effect on the loft?

Thanks!

Vin Decel
The truth of the matter is that there really is no right answer here.  It depends as much as your swing as it does your body type.

I'm 5'6" and play off a 35.5" PW, which makes it standard for some OEMS and 1/4 inch short for others.  IMO, go with what makes you feel comforatble.  Standard length clubs can always be cut a half inch short (tho SW will be a tad lighter).

Good luck!

#30 HawkeyeDan

HawkeyeDan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132906
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

scottvw13, on 22 March 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

Vin Decel, on 22 March 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

Greetings gentlemen,

Thanks!

Vin Decel
The truth of the matter is that there really is no right answer here.  It depends as much as your swing as it does your body type.

I'm 5'6" and play off a 35.5" PW, which makes it standard for some OEMS and 1/4 inch short for others.  IMO, go with what makes you feel comforatble.  Standard length clubs can always be cut a half inch short (tho SW will be a tad lighter).

Good luck!

Agree with this completely - the fact of the matter is there is variance for standard OEM's - an upright PING club might actually be flatter than a standard Mizuno, etc.  

One thing I was wondering though - each iron set that PING makes is custom built in AZ, right?  So if you can figure out your PING specs they will tweak everything for you, swing weight and all correct?  Kind of takes some customization guess-work out of the equation?  Thanks guys!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors