Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Private Membership Feasability

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 EAWilson

EAWilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168659
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

I have the opportunity to get on the waiting list at one of the most prestigious courses in the area, this coming with a relatively small deposit. I am fairly young and the wait is upwards of 15 years but thats typical for the area and type of course, but it does come with a social membership in the next couple of years etc. Im still learning whats all involved.

I am currently a member at an average semi private course and the yearly dues are very reasonable.

Looking for comments on whether its worth the wait and the investment.

Also note our golf season is only 6 months MAX

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Huffer

Huffer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125510
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

15 years?  Really?

I'd pass...

#3 DarkStewie

DarkStewie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114621
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

I can't imagine waiting 15 years....

#4 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1415

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

I can't see a 30 year old person in this day and age having any clue what his financial situation, recreational preferences or for that matter even location of residence might be 15 years from now. That's the kind of thing might have made sense in the 60's or something.

That said if it's truly an insignificant amount of money and/or if it's refundable and if you really, really believe it would be great to join the club, what the heck. But man, fifteen years? That's an eternity in today's world.

P.S. If the landscape of high-$$$ private country club memberships is even remotely similar 10 years from now compared to today, I will be gobsmacked. Ten years ago there were plenty of places where playing at a decent private course came with those sort of waiting lists attached. Today there's a fraction as many and tomorrow the number ain't gonna be bigger, if anything it will be much rarer still.

Edited by Fourmyle of Ceres, 12 March 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#5 Aithos

Aithos

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162959
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Unless you are going to use the membership there to further your career and money making ability don't bother.  "prestige" should never be the only reason you are considering a club, especially when the course alone doesn't warrant the price (which is almost always the case at more expensive clubs)

#6 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 1787

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostEAWilson, on 11 March 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

I have the opportunity to get on the waiting list at one of the most prestigious courses in the area, this coming with a relatively small deposit. I am fairly young and the wait is upwards of 15 years but thats typical for the area and type of course, but it does come with a social membership in the next couple of years etc. Im still learning whats all involved.

I am currently a member at an average semi private course and the yearly dues are very reasonable.

How can anyone determine the worth based on the provided details?

A club with a waiting list in this economy must be an indicator that it is a strong club.

If it is a club that fits all of your criteria, and I assume you don't pay dues while you are on the waiting list, why not?

#7 EAWilson

EAWilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

View Postteejaywhy, on 12 March 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

How can anyone determine the worth based on the provided details?

A club with a waiting list in this economy must be an indicator that it is a strong club.

If it is a club that fits all of your criteria, and I assume you don't pay dues while you are on the waiting list, why not?

Correct, no dues while on the waiting list and the deposit is refunbable should I decide to opt out.

#8 ryancjordan

ryancjordan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120934
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostAithos, on 12 March 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Unless you are going to use the membership there to further your career and money making ability don't bother.  "prestige" should never be the only reason you are considering a club, especially when the course alone doesn't warrant the price (which is almost always the case at more expensive clubs)

meh, I know plenty of SF residents who barely care about golf and are members at Olympic Club simply to bring clients and things like that.  This is exactly why you would be a member at a prestige course.

#9 jdubbs

jdubbs

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51097
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

I noticed you are from Alberta, what course are you talking about if you dont mind me asking?

#10 ChipDriver

ChipDriver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105907
GolfWRX Likes : 754

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

On the one hand - you have nothing to lose.  I assume the fee for the waiting list is something you can afford.  If so - do it - you don't lose anything in the meantime, and you can always decline if/when social status is offered.  

By the same token - I think being on a wait list is the slowest and least effective way of joining a club.   It means that you don't actually have any members who are willing to stand and support your application.

Do you need a few members as references before your application for wait list is approved?   If so - great.  If not - I wouldn't waste the time or money....it's probably not going to help you.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 EAWilson

EAWilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

On the one hand - you have nothing to lose. I assume the fee for the waiting list is something you can afford. If so - do it - you don't lose anything in the meantime, and you can always decline if/when social status is offered.

By the same token - I think being on a wait list is the slowest and least effective way of joining a club. It means that you don't actually have any members who are willing to stand and support your application.

Do you need a few members as references before your application for wait list is approved? If so - great. If not - I wouldn't waste the time or money....it's probably not going to help you.

Yes  you need a couple references from good standing members.

#12 Aithos

Aithos

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162959
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

View Postryancjordan, on 12 March 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostAithos, on 12 March 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

meh, I know plenty of SF residents who barely care about golf and are members at Olympic Club simply to bring clients and things like that.  This is exactly why you would be a member at a prestige course.

Which is why I said that if you *aren't* going to do that, prestige alone isn't a good enough reason.  You said exactly the same thing as I did... :russian_roulette:

#13 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 1481

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostChipDriver, on 12 March 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

By the same token - I think being on a wait list is the slowest and least effective way of joining a club.   It means that you don't actually have any members who are willing to stand and support your application.

I realize that this varies club to club, but there are a great many clubs where just to be on the waitlist presumes that several members already stand and support your application. The demand curve at the best clubs will always outstrip the number of openings in any given year.

#14 HackerDave

HackerDave

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Handicap:13.5
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

I guess I might be missing something here.  Is the offer to become a social member and then in approx 15 years you get to move up to a full golf membership?  If so, that seems kind of crazy.  You will be paying for the pool and tennis and longingly looking out at the golf course.  Heck, your kids will be off to college before they have playing privileges.   If on the other hand you can put a deposit down and wait for 15 years at no expense, go for it.  

The key to me is are you required to be a social member while you wait.  A lot of clubs require this.  I think I would pass myself if this is the case.  Let us know what you decide.

#15 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 1481

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostHackerDave, on 13 March 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

The key to me is are you required to be a social member while you wait.  A lot of clubs require this.  I think I would pass myself if this is the case.  Let us know what you decide.

That's pretty much standard practice around here. The general thinking is that you put in for membership around the time that you have your first kid, sit two years on the waiting list, get in as a "social" member when your kid is ~2 years old, and get full golf by the time they're ~10 years old.

The key that makes these deals not terrible is how much golf the "social" membership affords. Often, "social" members can play 1x per month, or in tournaments, or on Sunday afternoons, etc. If you have little kids, you have to accept that your golf time is probably limited anyway, so it's not as terrible a deal as it seems.

#16 EAWilson

EAWilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 13 March 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

That's pretty much standard practice around here. The general thinking is that you put in for membership around the time that you have your first kid, sit two years on the waiting list, get in as a "social" member when your kid is ~2 years old, and get full golf by the time they're ~10 years old.

The key that makes these deals not terrible is how much golf the "social" membership affords. Often, "social" members can play 1x per month, or in tournaments, or on Sunday afternoons, etc. If you have little kids, you have to accept that your golf time is probably limited anyway, so it's not as terrible a deal as it seems.

As far as I can tell, yes you have to be a social member first. Also, yes you are allowed to play to some extent as a social member, just not to the extent a playing membership gets you. Also note that im only 22 and not even at the thought of kids yet so for me this would be something I not only save up for eventually getting but also something that I should get ALOT of use out of once the playing days come.

#17 andyville99

andyville99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69023
  • Ebay ID:andyville99
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

As someone mentioned above, a lot of it depends on whether you actually end up living in the same spot for 15+ years.  I've been a member at 5 different private clubs over the last 26 years, and each time I thought I'd be there for a "long time" but that ended up not happening.  I've recently moved again and am researching clubs in my new locale - don't know if I'll pull the trigger or not since there are great semi-private options that abound in this area.

That's one of the problems facing the country club industry right now - the prestigious clubs want to charge big initiation fees which people who could in a lot of cases afford the $$$ just won't pay it because they can't justify it based on the likelihood of having to move in a few years.  Heck, I paid $15K to join one club and was there 2 yrs - and it was a wonderful club and I enjoyed it immensely and have no regrets...  but how many times can people repeat that?  That, plus monthly dues works out to some pretty expensive rounds of golf!

#18 ChipDriver

ChipDriver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105907
GolfWRX Likes : 754

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostEAWilson, on 13 March 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

View Postraynorfan1, on 13 March 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

As far as I can tell, yes you have to be a social member first. Also, yes you are allowed to play to some extent as a social member, just not to the extent a playing membership gets you. Also note that im only 22 and not even at the thought of kids yet so for me this would be something I not only save up for eventually getting but also something that I should get ALOT of use out of once the playing days come.

When does social membership confer?  At the time of signing?   Or sometime between sign up and 15 years?

My guess is that the wait list is allegedly 15 years before you are evaluated for a social member?  And that you would have to remain as a social member/guest for a time period before full membership confers?

#19 bcp

bcp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92383
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Absolurely!  If you have interest now and can afford the deposit, why not?  You say the deposit is refundable; therefore, you literally have nothing to lose.

#20 greg c

greg c

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160109
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

two things...the waiting list won't be 15 years for long...and you don't really seem like you know very much about the place considering you're considering a membership...why are you asking us???

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

15 years? Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic