Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

For those who left GPS for a RangeFinder

94 replies to this topic

Poll: For those who left GPS for a RangeFinder (163 member(s) have cast votes)

You miss the GPS?

1. Yes (23 votes [14.11%])

Percentage of vote: 14.11%

2. No (140 votes [85.89%])

Percentage of vote: 85.89%

What did you buy?

1. Bushnell (84 votes [51.53%])

Percentage of vote: 51.53%

2. Bushness Hybrid (1 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

3. Callaway (20 votes [12.27%])

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

4. Leupold (58 votes [35.58%])

Percentage of vote: 35.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 phillypete

phillypete

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2261
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

View Postew25950, on 04 July 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

I recently left a SGX for a Leupold GX-3i.  So far I like the Laser a lot, and will be selling the SGX soon.  The SGX was a great unit and I never had an issue with it's accuracy at all.  I did have an issue when I looked up how much I've spent on SkyCaddie memberships since my initial SG2 though!! Needless to say, I won't be renewing again.

man, i lost my bushnell 1500 and here I was about to pick up am sgx... I'm still considering it, because I rarely play the same course more than once a month, and all the courses around here are inteligreen.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 randygolfer

randygolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56983
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

I just lost faith in my SGX - 2 rounds where having tech issues and stopped giving yardages ...... back to a book and gx4....the problem with the SGX is that its too unpredictable to use during an efficient round.

#33 plus8

plus8

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90462
  • Ebay ID:wbrancher
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

I like my Leupold GX-3 -- I had 'Freecaddie' loaded on my Droid cell phone, still do, and it is fine, but my laser pointer is so much easier way more accurate - don't have to guess at getting a more accurate distance since my Freecaddie  unit only gives you 'areas' of the green.  It really has cut strokes from my ave score.

My only kick is that I wear contacts while playing, and I would like a diopter(?) adjustment  like the Callaway one has. But other than that, I have never looked back.

#34 thejuice

thejuice

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2000
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I bought a GX-3i for me as a Father's Day present (for being such an excellent dad) and it has been so great and quick that it has easily shaved quite a few strokes off my rounds (consistently).  My playing partner can't seem to understand why I am regularly beating him which is partly because it is so quick and doesn't slow our play.

With that said, I have a Garmin S3 on order that I plan to use with the GX-3i as an experiment to see just how low I can go.  I don't have a membership to a club and like playing different courses in the Metro Atlanta area so there will be courses I don't know with blind shots and even the courses I do know won't have blind shots that would affect me.  The way I figure it...I'd have the Leupold for targets I know I am trying to acquire while I'll have the S3 for those blind shots, green shape (which would help me to determine if I need to go right at the flag), and distances to the doglegs (when needed).  I don't anticipate I would program any hazards into the S3 because I rarely play the same course within a five-six round cycle.
Callaway OptiForce 440 Diamana S+ 62
Testing: Nike CT 2.0 w/stock KK
Nike CT 2.0 3 wood
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-P KBS Tour S
Cobra Trusty Rusty 51* and 55*
PING Piper TR adjustable

#35 Wannaduck

Wannaduck

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182392
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

View Postplus8, on 08 July 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

My only kick is that I wear contacts while playing, and I would like a diopter(?) adjustment like the Callaway one has. But other than that, I have never looked back.

Doesn't the eyepiece rotate to bring it into focus?  It does on the GX3i though it's not mentioned in the manual.
I had trouble at first focusing and thought crap...then decided to see if the eyepiece rotates...and it does (a bit stiff but it was new).

#36 dahtbomber

dahtbomber

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10181

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

had a skycaddie sg5 then bought the bushnell tour v2 and never looked back.  hated paying the annual membership fee to skycaddie.

#37 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

I ditched my Skycaddie years ago for many of the reasons posted above.

I am now on my second Bushnell, I'll never go back to GPS.

Since accuracy is so meaningless to the GPS crowd, why is it you want my "number" on Par 3's?

As far as blind shots go.... I play on some of the hilliest and tree covered courses on the planet, it's very rare not to have a line for an approach shot. When I am blocked out, the "problem" can usually be resolved by either walking a few steps or by using the course provided distance things.....

I played 36 holes in the last 2 days. Since I just replayed them in my head, I can only think of 1 approach shot that was impeded by terrain. That issue was solved by shooting a greenside bunker that gave me a whereabouts number at least as accurate as a GPS......

If your golf game is at the point where you consistently need blind distances from 3 fairways over, then, yeah, GPS is absolutely the way to go.

While playing, I don't care what you choose, just play fast! I think both devices are time savers.

Oakmont has recently equipped their world class caddies with distance measuring devices...Anyone care to guess which technology was chosen.....

#38 avgjoe

avgjoe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostWannaduck, on 11 September 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

View Postplus8, on 08 July 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

My only kick is that I wear contacts while playing, and I would like a diopter(?) adjustment like the Callaway one has. But other than that, I have never looked back.

Doesn't the eyepiece rotate to bring it into focus?  It does on the GX3i though it's not mentioned in the manual.
I had trouble at first focusing and thought crap...then decided to see if the eyepiece rotates...and it does (a bit stiff but it was new).

yes.. leupolds are just harder to twist

#39 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Some good points on pros and cons etc. I have a gps and never used a lazer range finder on a golf course.

For me the benefit of the gps is help on strange courses- countered by it can be a pain if you have to feck around and do downloads etc. Some subscription plans are just a pain.

Main downside I see for a lazer is the need for line of sight for those times your in big trouble and probably need the distance help more than if your down the middle. Big up, all you need is fresh batteries and your good to go with minimal fuss

#40 TexasAg

TexasAg

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1312
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

In my opinion, Golfshot on a smartphone for $30 combined with a GX-3 is the best of both worlds.  My Skycaddie hasn't been used in a long time.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 aso2b

aso2b

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93021
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostVA_Astra, on 07 March 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Great responses guys, I appreciate the effort to post up here!

Now im trying to decide.....GX-4 or Tour Z6/Pro 1m

Not a close call -- get the GX-4.

#42 ofpiste

ofpiste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101699

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostVA_Astra, on 03 March 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Thanks for the info so far....Not helping the bank account here, I may be buying a rangefinder.

One of the things I like about the GPS is the belt clip.  Makes it easy to use, I always have it and never have to drop it on the ground....

I have seen things like the Quick Draw for the Leupold, how are you all carrying your rangefinders?

I played with a skycaddie for years then switched to a Bushnell 1600. Now i'm going back to the simplicity of the game as i found a lot of the information superfluous and both a mental and time waster on the course. I've discovered a GPS which is new in the US, but huge in Asia which is called i'mcaddie. It is lightweight, clips to your hat and Verbally gives you the distance to the Center of the green, using the same satellites that all the GPS units use. as far as additional features it can measure that huge 310 yd drive, which unfortuenaly may actually be more like 275 ;-) and is can be used in cross country horseraces! Best of all...NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES and a price of about $140, this coming from someone who payed skycaddie for years. my first skycaddie was a skycaddie 2! my game actually improved as i focused more on the execution of the swing and not the distances, of course distance is important, but if you have several numbers bouncing around in your head, hell golf is tough enough! btw; i'm a 7 at a tough club, so not great, but not bad either and with this my game has improved!

#43 ofpiste

ofpiste

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101699

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Postofpiste, on 25 September 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

View PostVA_Astra, on 03 March 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Thanks for the info so far....Not helping the bank account here, I may be buying a rangefinder.

One of the things I like about the GPS is the belt clip.  Makes it easy to use, I always have it and never have to drop it on the ground....

I have seen things like the Quick Draw for the Leupold, how are you all carrying your rangefinders?

I played with a skycaddie for years then switched to a Bushnell 1600. Now i'm going back to the simplicity of the game as i found a lot of the information superfluous and both a mental and time waster on the course. I've discovered a GPS which is new in the US, but huge in Asia which is called i'mcaddie. It is lightweight, clips to your hat and Verbally gives you the distance to the Center of the green, using the same satellites that all the GPS units use. as far as additional features it can measure that huge 310 yd drive, which unfortuenaly may actually be more like 275 ;-) and is can be used in cross country horseraces! Best of all...NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES and a price of about $140, this coming from someone who payed skycaddie for years. my first skycaddie was a skycaddie 2! my game actually improved as i focused more on the execution of the swing and not the distances, of course distance is important, but if you have several numbers bouncing around in your head, hell golf is tough enough! btw; i'm a 7 at a tough club, so not great, but not bad either and with this my game has improved!

btw; i do not work for imcaddie!

#44 Kylekoz17

Kylekoz17

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204917
  • Ebay ID:Snipperdo17
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

I definitely feel I can trust the rangefinder moreso than a gps.  Also like it more for seeing pin location.  Definitely not going back to a GPS any time soon.
Bio Cell + - D+ 72x
Nike VR Pro Ltd - Matrix Ozik 70x
Titleist 910h 19* - Matrix Ozik Altus
714 AP2 4-pw X100
Scotty Golo 5
Nike VR Forged 51, 56

#45 gigemaggs99

gigemaggs99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205529
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:gigemaggs99

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

View Postladahl, on 07 March 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

All good to know... Great thread OP.

Like i said, we often will play 36 on Saturday (quickly and in carts), so the GPS was handy for a quick peak and shoot.... But, I think this will get my game, for sure.. If nothing else, it wil help me slow down...

I am a 12HCP, so I feel like I may be embarrassed to pull out a laser, get my perfect 190 club out, and proceed to skull it....  That' smy only issue with the RF vs. GPS, the GPS was very low-key (gave you ball park distance)... Just not sure I have the "game" to be pull this thing out and hitting fat or thin shots...

I'm no pro myself 10 hcp, there is a nice CC that is close to my house when I ride my road bike I enjoy riding on the streets in and around the CC since there is less traffic. You can see a lot of the holes from the road, there is one par 3, looks to be (from the road) around 150 yards give er take. I see these 3 older gentlemen on the tee, they all have their laser ranger finders out, so I slow my pace to watch them hit, I'm a good 100 yards away so I wasn't going to distract them. Each one shoots the distance then picks their club. Three shots, one shank left about 20 yards total distance off the tee, another came up short about 100 yards short of the green, the 3rd sliced it left about 70 yards....I just kept pedaling....

Like I said I'm no pro, but have been looking into either a GPS or a rangefinder...but like the other posters I'm pretty certain I'm not consistent enough to pull all of these shots off 100% of the time. I guess it would be nice to have the guess work out of the distance, I'm just pretty certain I don't have all my clubs dialed in so perfectly that I could actually hit these yardages.

I haven't seen any driving ranges or teaching academies on the lists of courses for any GPS device, I was just thinking it would be cool to have them on a gps device, then again it sounds like a Laser Rangefinder is the answer. My question is after you hit a shot, say with your drive off the tee can you then shoot the ball to see the exact distance of your tee shot? I've never used a laser rangefinder and am amazed that they can be as accurate as everyone is describing.

Edited by gigemaggs99, 15 October 2012 - 12:23 PM.

1W, 3W, 7W.. Taylormade RBZ stage 2
Irons... Titleist DCI Gold 4-PW
Wedges... Titleist DCI Gold 52*, 56*
Putter...Odyssey Backstryke Marxman
Ball... Nike PD Soft
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/gigemaggs

#46 yoshiod9

yoshiod9

Copper? Nice...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57946
  • Handicap:6.6
  • Ebay ID:yoshiod9
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I still have my igolf neo (the original one) and it's helpful for courses I've never played.  Otherwise, the Leupold GX-1 is the mainstay in my bag.

#47 Wayneo

Wayneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56638
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

gigemaggs99, you'd go to where your drive is, turn around, and shot the ball washer, hole information post, or something close to where you tee'd off from.

#48 gigemaggs99

gigemaggs99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostWayneo, on 15 October 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

gigemaggs99, you'd go to where your drive is, turn around, and shot the ball washer, hole information post, or something close to where you tee'd off from.

Ok, cool thanks.
Ball... Nike PD Soft

#49 sharkhark

sharkhark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18121
  • Ebay ID:sharkhark
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

So... I got to ask? (I am a golf buddy gps fan) how do you guys with laser measure stuff you can't see well... Or not at all.
Let's say a pond up ahead that is blind... Or maybe a bunker you can only see part of.
When I use my gps I have layup and carry yardages of all hazards.
I myself have played with people using laser that hit good shots only to head over a knoll and hang their heads seeing they went into a hazard. Often complaining out loud that they didn't know the hazard was there... Or if they even have played before they "guessed" at missing it.

I don't understand how laser users get around these limitations. My gps takes 1 minute to start up, gives me instantaneous info at a glance to flag, front, middle, back, hazards etc etc.
Mine is preloaded with every course virtually there is in the world. My battery lasts about 3 rounds and I don't pay annual fees.

Can someone comment on how u get around these blind shots?
If your answer is... Well u have to have played the course allot.... Well that doesn't work.

#50 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

View Postsharkhark, on 17 October 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

So... I got to ask? (I am a golf buddy gps fan) how do you guys with laser measure stuff you can't see well... Or not at all.

Mine is preloaded with every course virtually there is in the world.

First, those "blind shots" are usually few and far between. I play on some of the hilliest and treed terrain on the planet, and if I have one blind approach out the past 4-5 rounds, it is easily dealt with.

But, since you asked, I'll answer.

Most blocked shots (usually blocked by a tree) can be measured by taking a few steps to the left or right to take the branches out of view.

If the view is obscured by a hillcrest or major turn in the terrain, you can go ahead and "chop" the distances, that is, find a point where you can see what you need, shoot the target, then turn and shoot your ball.

If your shot is blind and you have a GPS, even having a number, do you go up ahead to see exactly where the target is and if it's OK to hit?

Yeah, me too.

If I can only see and shoot only part of the green, or a greenside bunker, or even a 100 yard stake, I still have enough old school knowledge to calculate a distance and at least be as accurate as a GPS.

As I said, those "blind" instances on approach shots are so rare, that they're a minuscule price to pay for accurate, instant information.

You mention how your GPS has every obstacle on every course in the world.

It doesn't.

I owned a Skycaddie for a few years and had a few bunch of instances where the course just wasn't available. (Have they added Caye Chapel in Belize?). When I played it last, it was a "user measured" track with some insane inaccurate information. (The guy I was paired with had the Skycaddie, needless to say after a few holes he was looking to me for "numbers". As a side note, he was a Brit and with a push of a button, my Bushnell was able to quickly give him his information in meters.

The final GPS straw for me was a money match (aren't they all?) in Las Vegas. We were playing a course and my Skycaddie failed to mention a drainage  ditch crossing the fairway about 240 from the teebox. I hit a nice (for me a great) drive and my ball disappeared.  Yeah, the hazard was noted on the card, but dontcha think it should have been noted in my top end GPS as well?

Lost the hole. Lost the match. Lost dinner.

Switched back to laser and never looked back.

Look, this topic has been debated to death. I have no issues playing with guys who have Skycaddies. Both technologies have their merits. If your main issue is trying to get a distance from 3 fairways over, then absolutely a Skycaddie will fit your needs. If estimated FCB numbers are "good enough", then by all means fire away.

Been there, done that.

Personally, my hay is made on the golf course with approach shots. Especially those shots from 145 and in. That's where accurate information makes all the difference *for me*.

For me the ability to measure any thing, any time instantly fits *my* needs better than a GPS. (I won't even mention battery life, downloading problems, satellite issues  and screen glare).

Like I said, to each their own, but the "blind shot" and "I don't need information that accurate" arguments get tiring.

So enjoy your GPS, I promise I'll enjoy my laser, and if we ever hook up, I'll be glad to give you the correct numbers on the par 3's.

Play well.

Edited by Hateto3Putt, 18 October 2012 - 10:13 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 jshel

jshel

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17037
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

I have been a SkyCaddie guy for quite a while and have liked it. I like the ease of use and I play primarily at places where it is clear whether the pin is front, middle or back.

I did just join a different club and some of the greens are very large. Because of that, I recently bought a Laser Link Quick Shot on ebay for $40. It's great as we have the reflectors on the pins.

I wear glasses, so I don't like the idea of having to put the rangefinder up to my glasses and leaving a smear there or something. But I do like the accuracy.

I'm now trying to figure out what to do when my SkyCaddie subscription runs out. I don't think I'm going to renew. I'm considering getting a GPS that is preloaded (maybe the new Callaway or a Garmin) as I do like that when I play new courses. Then I don't have to pay a subscription or worry about loading courses on my SkyCaddie -- something I hate.

Not sure.

Edited by jshel, 18 October 2012 - 11:03 PM.

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 degrees
FW: Titleist 913 FD 15 degrees
Hybrids: Adams XTD 17; Adams A12 19
Irons: Ping G25 4-PW
Putter: Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
Wedges: Ping Gorge 52 and 58 degrees

#52 sharkhark

sharkhark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18121
  • Ebay ID:sharkhark
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostHateto3Putt, on 18 October 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Mine is preloaded with every course virtually there is in the world.

First, those "blind shots" are usually few and far between. I play on some of the hilliest and treed terrain on the planet, and if I have one blind approach out the past 4-5 rounds, it is easily dealt with.

But, since you asked, I'll answer.

Most blocked shots (usually blocked by a tree) can be measured by taking a few steps to the left or right to take the branches out of view.

If the view is obscured by a hillcrest or major turn in the terrain, you can go ahead and "chop" the distances, that is, find a point where you can see what you need, shoot the target, then turn and shoot your ball.

Play well.
...chop the distances? walk ahead...walk back..too much for me..re skycaddies missing courses and info and sattelite issues...i agree...but i own a golf buddy world...with none of those issues...if i had owned a skycaddie like you did before...i agree...i too would be using a laser...thankfully i have none of those problems...
re chopping yardages..i admit...i am lazy...i like to walk to the ball and see multiple targets in one glance...i am very lazy...i am not dedicated as yourself..i do not have the patience to shoot all these things..vs one glance at gps..so what i thought is what i guessed. if you cannot see blindly over a hill and to what is beyond...a laser cannot see it. it doesnt bend over the hill and give yardage to clear obstacles. i completely understand your point about you only playing flat straight ahead courses with no blind shots.
in my area i choose challenging courses with multiple blind shots and forced carries....i completely would agree that if i only played courses that lay everything out in front of you..that i too would have no need for a gps. i can summarize it by agreeing that we play completely different courses in our rotation...my need is not for 3 fairways over...but i do need to see that 180 yard shot to clear the pond completely blind over the 50 foot high hill....as far as walking up and chopping as you call it...just dont have that time. my courses have rules on speed of play and i use the 5 second glance at info and hit and move on...i dont have near the patience or time to walk up and down...or trying to catch a reading in windy adverse conditions. just way...too lazy on my part.

to each his own. cheers!!

#53 gigemaggs99

gigemaggs99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Garmin Approach G3 came in the mail today. The boss (wife) got off of work early so she was able to watch the kids and I was able to get to the course for twilight rates. After 3pm $10 to walk, I figured I'd be able to get 9 in for sure....

Prior to leaving for the course I loaded the newest course info and it included my local muni.

This was by far the most fun I've had on the golf course in a LONG LONG time. I haven't used a laser range finder but knowing the FCB distances, being able to move the pin for the (Red, White, Blue) different locations, was really cool. Knowing the lay-up yardages to creeks crossing the fairways, distances to carry fairway bunkers, etc...this was FUN. I'm not the best golfer out there and haven't been able to play near as much since having kids, but knowing the yardage made club selection AWESOME! Now I can pick my club and swing knowing I have the right weapon in my hands.

I was able to get all 18 in, towards the end it was harder since it was getting dark, but $10 for 18 holes in just around 3 hours walking was great for me. Our oldest son is 4, I have played 1-2 times since he was born so it's been a long while and the worse thing for me getting back is the short game/feel game around the greens. 2 weeks ago at this same course without a GPS I shot a 95. Today I shot an 86. Still have a lot of work to do and a lot of improvements, I think my score could have been better if they hadn't aerated the greens today, makes it very difficult to putt, but it was very nice to atleast have birdie putts. Once the greens are smooth I should have a better chance at rolling them in.

The 2 coolest things I've bought for my golf game so far are my Clic Gear 3.0 with SEAT and now the Garmin Approach G3.

Compared to the G5 and G6, I'm glad I went w/ the G3. I can still keep my stats (FIR, GIR, Putts, etc) on the scorecard if I want to. (which you would have to print out on your PC anyways) I can measure club distances with the G3 and do not really see why I need to keep an running average of my different clubs the way the G5/G6 say they can. I know my club yardages so I don't see why that feature is necessary.

I'm glad I went w/ the GPS over the laser, after reading here and other places my questions were answered as to exact distances. I was concerned w/ the laser being able to shoot FCB distances and how I would know for sure that I was "shooting" the pin or the bunker or the hazard etc....the GPS gives me yardages and I can plan my attack with those yardages in mind.

The biggest thing I need to do now is learn, learn to hit enough club to get to the hole. I used the Front yardage a lot today and would end up on the green but short, should have taken 1 more club. It was very nice though on other holes that in the past I knew from playing this course what I "thought" I should use and then to have the GPS yardage, then to pick the club and stick it pin high, that was NICE! :golfer:

Happy Golfing!
Ball... Nike PD Soft

#54 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

View Postsharkhark, on 19 October 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

.i completely would agree that if i only played courses that lay everything out in front of you..that i too would have no need for a gps. i can summarize it by agreeing that we play completely different courses in our rotation...my need is not for 3 fairways over...but i do need to see that 180 yard shot to clear the pond completely blind over the 50 foot high hill....as far as walking up and chopping as you call it...just dont have that time. my courses have rules on speed of play and i use the 5 second glance at info and hit and move on...i dont have near the patience or time to walk up and down...or trying to catch a reading in windy adverse conditions. just way...too lazy on my part.

Not sure if you read my post at all... I play very hilly, tough, treed courses. I think your mind is already made up as to which you prefer, and that's ok.

Like I asked before. When you have a blind approach shot: (Hitting over that 50 foot high hill) Do you go up ahead and look at where you need to bit the ball? Or do you just hit away because you have your skycaddie information?

Enjoy.

#55 Wayneo

Wayneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Great point.

I've got an SGX, an old trusty Neo, and a Leupold GX-4. Each has its benefits.

SGX - Vast library. Many hazards mapped. Helps me when I'm 3 fairways over. Yearly membership fee doesn't bother me as it's less than a dozen good balls.

Neo - small and light, and almost as useful as the SGX. No overheard views, and not as many custom points mapped, but I'm able to map them on my own via Google. Able to use on non mapped SGX courses.

GX-4 - Fantastic for Par 3's or any large green really. What surprises me the most however is that there are VERY few courses here in Ontario with reflectors on the Pins. Barely a handful from the courses I play, and some are rather high end courses. It's still very quick for me to get flag distances which are then validated as being in the right range based on the GPS numbers.

In a usual round, I figure the GPS gets about 80% use and the GX-4 about 20% for my game.

#56 Andy L

Andy L

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Let's say a pond up ahead that is blind... Or maybe a bunker you can only see part of.
When I use my gps I have layup and carry yardages of all hazards.
I myself have played with people using laser that hit good shots only to head over a knoll and hang their heads seeing they went into a hazard. Often complaining out loud that they didn't know the hazard was there... Or if they even have played before they "guessed" at missing it.

I don't understand how laser users get around these limitations. My gps takes 1 minute to start up, gives me instantaneous info at a glance to flag, front, middle, back, hazards etc etc.
Mine is preloaded with every course virtually there is in the world. My battery lasts about 3 rounds and I don't pay annual fees.

If your answer is... Well u have to have played the course allot.... Well that doesn't work.

Both have their advantages with different types of measurement.  I use GPS and my partner has a laser.  We frequently share information because the laser is best for exact distance to the pin and the GPS is better for alerting you to something you might not be able to see, as well as front, center, back and a lot of other information at a glance.  In addition to pin distance, we use the laser to measure a specific object that you wouldn't get on a GPS-- like a specific tree on the outside of a dogleg shot that I'm using as a target and want to make sure I don't hit the ball through the fairway.  Sure I should be able to figure this out on the GPS, but the laser is usually easier for when it comes to a physical target.

As far as estimating pin distance on the GPS vs exact measurement with the laser, I can almost always estimate pin distance via the GPS to less than 2-3 yards difference of the laser, provided the course either uses colored flags or pin indicator for front, center, back pin.

Edited by Andy L, 20 October 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#57 Andy L

Andy L

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

View PostWayneo, on 20 October 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Great point.

I've got an SGX, an old trusty Neo, and a Leupold GX-4. Each has its benefits.

SGX - Vast library. Many hazards mapped. Helps me when I'm 3 fairways over. Yearly membership fee doesn't bother me as it's less than a dozen good balls.

Neo - small and light, and almost as useful as the SGX. No overheard views, and not as many custom points mapped, but I'm able to map them on my own via Google. Able to use on non mapped SGX courses.

GX-4 - Fantastic for Par 3's or any large green really. What surprises me the most however is that there are VERY few courses here in Ontario with reflectors on the Pins. Barely a handful from the courses I play, and some are rather high end courses. It's still very quick for me to get flag distances which are then validated as being in the right range based on the GPS numbers.

In a usual round, I figure the GPS gets about 80% use and the GX-4 about 20% for my game.

Off topic Wayneo, but have you every played in Niagara Falls Ontario at Legends or Grand Niagara?  If not, you must go.

#58 Wayneo

Wayneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

I played Ussher's Creek last year, and Battlefield this year. I keep hearing Peninsula Lakes is better, but haven't played it. Was it really off topic, or related to GPS/Laser use somehow?

#59 theslflash689

theslflash689

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116851

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

My rangefinder has become as easy to use as my GPS. I just feel that + or - 5 yards on a gps is just too much variation. That's half a club!!!

#60 Andy L

Andy L

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

View Posttheslflash689, on 21 October 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

My rangefinder has become as easy to use as my GPS. I just feel that + or - 5 yards on a gps is just too much variation. That's half a club!!!

+/- 5 yards is no way consistent with my gps experience. 0 to 2 maybe 3 yards within course markers is normal.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors