Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Junior's using Belly Putters?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82440
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Curious what juniors out there are using belly putters.  Also curious what they believe the younger generation's perspective is on using it?

My daugther is in process of testing one.  

Wonder if its just becoming popular with the older generation or if it also starting to become popular with juniors.

Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 thaus7

thaus7

The more I practice the luckier I get... my swag factor is 0.12

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119805
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

I've been seeing more and more kids in tournaments using belly putters. After Keegan Bradley's win, the high school golf season started to begin and to me, it seemed to explode in the amount of kids using them.

#3 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

so it sounds like juniors don't have the same "cruch" perspective that some of the older ignorant generation?

#4 thaus7

thaus7

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postgolfnut-2X, on 02 March 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

so it sounds like juniors don't have the same "cruch" perspective that some of the older ignorant generation?

I would say many juniors still think they are like a crutch, but once they try it and like it they are quick to forget their previous words.

#5 Golfnole3

Golfnole3

These pretzels are making me thirsty

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124935
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

A few months ago I was REALLY interested in a belly putter, now I really don't like them. I've tried them and they don't work for me. I know that doesn't sound like a reason to not like them, so here goes: As much as I like Keegan Bradley, Bill Hass, and Webb Simpson I just think that it is cheating because you're anchoring the club to your body. Best of luck to your daughter in finding the right putter for her!

#6 Par Fore

Par Fore

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49091
  • Ebay ID:barneys6
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostGolfnole3, on 02 March 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

A few months ago I was REALLY interested in a belly putter, now I really don't like them. I've tried them and they don't work for me. I know that doesn't sound like a reason to not like them, so here goes: As much as I like Keegan Bradley, Bill Hass, and Webb Simpson I just think that it is cheating because you're anchoring the club to your body. Best of luck to your daughter in finding the right putter for her!

The thing is, It's not cheating.  Cheating implies that something is against the rules and as of right now a longer putter is perfectly legal.  I think that juniors are starting to learn with a long putter, not switch to a long putter and there us nothing wrong with that.  It is legal for play and I think should be looked at as a viable putting method until it becomes illegal or non-conforming

#7 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127152
  • Ebay ID:aaronwilson1995
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

I think tere a crutch , but only belly putters I think that the Barron takes a little more effort than the belly and may be harder than a regular putter . ( I might be biase but my 14 year old brother uses the broom)

#8 Golfnole3

Golfnole3

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostPar Fore, on 02 March 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

The thing is, It's not cheating.  Cheating implies that something is against the rules and as of right now a longer putter is perfectly legal.  I think that juniors are starting to learn with a long putter, not switch to a long putter and there us nothing wrong with that.  It is legal for play and I think should be looked at as a viable putting method until it becomes illegal or non-conforming
I understand what you're saying but to me it seems like its cheating, just in my own view its cheating. Say the USGA and R&A ban the belly putter, us juniors that play the regular putter would have the experience of it and wield it more confidently.

#9 titleistfan69

titleistfan69

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92233
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

i also experimented with the belly putter but felt that on real long puts it was really hard to get a feel thus ended going back to a regular length putter. But don't get too dependent on it just in case they ban it.

#10 thaus7

thaus7

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

View Posttitleistfan69, on 03 March 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

i also experimented with the belly putter but felt that on real long puts it was really hard to get a feel thus ended going back to a regular length putter. But don't get too dependent on it just in case they ban it.

I had the same worry when I was trying it out.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

How can you just recently go from REALLY wanting a belly putter, testing it, then deciding its cheating after it didn't work for you?

If you think its cheating why would you try it in the first place?

I am still in the process of testing mine, long time short putter user.  Though I wouldn't do anything in the game that I thought was cheating or against the rules.

#12 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

had same concerns about long puts. years ago tried one in a store and didn't have the feel for lags.

found by experimenting with making them heavier (>= 400 grams) the additional weight made the lag puts go longer and offset the reduced feel which made me come up short on the lags.

something to try.

thanks for feedback.

#13 Golfnole3

Golfnole3

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

View Postgolfnut-2X, on 03 March 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

How can you just recently go from REALLY wanting a belly putter, testing it, then deciding its cheating after it didn't work for you?

If you think its cheating why would you try it in the first place?

I am still in the process of testing mine, long time short putter user.  Though I wouldn't do anything in the game that I thought was cheating or against the rules.
Its like the Ernie Els mentality about belly putters in the reverse.

#14 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

i am still testing new belly against my short stick :

1. my sbst short stick is better on short putts since face angle translates more error than path.  because of the arc if its not timed correctly it will miss on the belly.

2. lag puts short stick seems more favorable since wrists provide more feel for long lags.  testing adding weights > 400g that seem to help make the lag puts longer with the reduced feel.

3. the belly can be good for somethat that plays competitively, has learned to manage nerves, and yips 3 foot putts.  having said that pros make 99.9% of these an amateurs probbly make 99.5% so its not an issue.

4. for short putts taking the right wrist out is advantages for the belly but similar effect as using my left hand low grip on my short stick.

logically the advantage seems to the short stick, but still need to test and try several rounds with it.

#15 sonomaca

sonomaca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131290
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Fourteen year-old Guan Tianlang just qualified for Masters, beating the rest of Asia's best amateurs.  He was using a belly putter.  If USGA and R&A don't ban belly putters this year, they'll never be able to do.  We'll see more and more top juniors go to the long putter.

It's now or never.

#16 NoobOutTheSand

NoobOutTheSand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203645
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Im 16, and playing as a junior for my highschool at a 3 handicapper. I've beening using a Dart 43'' Belly putter for about 6 months, it has been a big game charger for me.

#17 tommyrobson

tommyrobson

Junior Golfer

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184764
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Im 16 almost 17

and use a broom occasionally when I lose any putting skill
Taylormade RBZ 9.5*
Cleveland Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
Cleveland Classic 18* w/ Matrix Ozik
Ping S57's w/ S300
Kenny Giannini G2 Chubby
Ping Gorge 52, 56, SM4 60

#18 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

I have a nome belly, Ive only played 2 rounds with it in the 3 months Ive had it.  Some days it is stupid easy and others I wont touch the cup from 2 feet.  It certainly is not the "pick it up and instantly make more putts" putter people make it out to be.  You have to put in just as much work with it like a normal putter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors