Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How To Clean White Shoes Using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 asong77

asong77

Try reading the rules, you shankapotamus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34343
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

I see a new thread asking about how to clean and make white golf shoes look white/new again every so often, and most of you already know and employ this but here's some before and after pictures. The secret ingredient of course, is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser...it truly works magic.

For those who never heard of it or never tried the Magic Eraser, it is simply amazing. They run about a dollar a piece, and you can find them pretty much anywhere...supermarkets, drug stores, etc. They look like a little block of squishy white foam, and you can cut them up in any size you need. All you do is wet them, squeeze out the excess water, and then scrub away...the caked-in dirt and stains will come out right before your eyes...it's like...well...magic.

What I do is cut them in half...one for each shoe. They will pretty much self-destruct as you use them, but one block is enough to clean one pair of shoes. They will remove any mark or stain, but obviously, they won't do anything to scuffs or already peeling leather. They even clean and whiten the white rubber sole, the fabric tongue of the shoe, and also removes the shoe lace stains around the eyelets too, as you'll see in the after pictures.

Here they are on Amazon: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - 8 pack on Amazon

Prior to using the Magic Eraser, I clean the shoes with warm water, Dawn liquid dish soap, and/or a Scotch Brite Non-Scratch sponge or soft brush, and while it makes the shoes a little cleaner, it certainly doesn't make them white again.

Anyway, here's a 5 year old pair of the original Adidas Powerbands that I haven't worn in over two years. These are the before pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 asong77

asong77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

After pictures using just warm water, soap, and a soft brush. A little better but still not very clean nor white:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 asong77

asong77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Finally, after pictures using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Not sure if you can tell with the pictures, but they are a brilliant white...they look almost brand-new again. The black marks you see at the toe of the shoes are scuff marks and the leather peeling, and that can't be cleaned, but I'll try to cover it up later tonight with some leather cleaner and maybe white shoe polish.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 KCbogeyfree

KCbogeyfree

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63752
  • Ebay ID:aklfra
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Wow, never thought of using the magic eraser.  I've just been using leather upholstry sheets for automotive.  Do you think the magic eraser would be safe on all colors?  I don't know what the composition of erasers are but know my wife loves them for tough areas in the kitchen.  Thanks very much for the info and the pics.

#5 golfsurfbike

golfsurfbike

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117014
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

great idea! I hadn't thought of that.

#6 LeftHandLeads

LeftHandLeads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131296

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for posting and for showing all of the pics!  The results look great and I'm going to go get some today to use on my white shoes.

-JG

#7 asong77

asong77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

KCbogeyfree, on 29 February 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Wow, never thought of using the magic eraser.  I've just been using leather upholstry sheets for automotive.  Do you think the magic eraser would be safe on all colors?  I don't know what the composition of erasers are but know my wife loves them for tough areas in the kitchen.  Thanks very much for the info and the pics.

The composition of the Magic Eraser is melamine foam and here is the Wikipedia entry for it: Melamine foam

I haven't used it on any other colors but you can always try testing a small area first. All I know is that it makes virtually anything white again...walls, bathroom and kitchen surfaces, obviously leather, etc.

#8 leftypga

leftypga

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18924
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

KCbogeyfree, on 29 February 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Definitely safe on other colors.  I used the Magic Eraser to recondition the leather wraped stearing wheel on my car after a few years of the oils from my hands getting in there and it looks and feels almost like new.  It also works well so spot clean spots on the leather seats.  Just don't go nuts with the scrubbing. BTW steering wheel is black and seats are light grey.
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour, Fujikura Pro 73
Nike VR Pro LTD, Speeder 757
Ping Rapture DI, Motore Speeder TS 9.8
Nike VR Pro Blades, KBS Tour V
VR Pro 54, Toe Sweep 58, KBS Tour V
Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance, 37"

#9 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Good results but how did you chew up the toes so badly?  I'll bet they are from riding power carts.
Cobra Bio Cell 9.5*, PJX R
Ping I20 15*, stock R
Cobra R. Fowler Proto 56*, #1 of 1600
TM Spyder Daddy Long Legs
Ping Eye 2 4-pw, ZZ Lite, Green Dot
Adams A7 22*, Proforce V2 S

#10 asong77

asong77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

rgk5, on 29 February 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Good results but how did you chew up the toes so badly?  I'll bet they are from riding power carts.

A combination of things, I suppose...don't think it was the power cart, as I walked the vast majority of my rounds with them.  First of all, they're five years old and one of my first Adidas shoe purchases...and I pretty much abused them. Didn't clean them after a round (or ever at all), tossed them around, dragged my toe on non-grass surfaces, etc.

I have so many pairs of still unworn, brand-new, in-the-box Adidas shoes (Powerband 3.0, Adipure, Tour 360 ATV), in addition to the 3 pairs that I rotate through during the season (another pair of 360 4.0s, and two different color pairs of Adipures), that I'll probably never wear those old Powerbands again.

I might just be a hoarder...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59182
  • Ebay ID:sl1429
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Also work on the new white driver heads!:good:

#12 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

Just be sure that you don't scrub too hard with them. They are really abrasive, which is why they clean so well. If you rub them on your walls in the same spot, you'll remove the paint and start wearing into the drywall.

#13 yoshiod9

yoshiod9

Copper? Nice...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57946
  • Handicap:6.6
  • Ebay ID:yoshiod9
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

FATC1TY, on 29 February 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

Just be sure that you don't scrub too hard with them. They are really abrasive, which is why they clean so well. If you rub them on your walls in the same spot, you'll remove the paint and start wearing into the drywall.

Exactly what I was going to say.  The Magic Eraser is VERY abrasive... don't over-use it or scrub too hard.

#14 ck800

ck800

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116146

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

I usually use a Clorox Bleach Pen, combined with either a really soft toothbrush and/or a white rag.  Gets the job done.  On white at least.

#15 mccjud

mccjud

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74451
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Nice work & thanks for the post! I used them on my four year old Footjoy all white boas last gear & they ended up looking mint. One guy at this tournament I played in asked where I got my "new shoes" & what type they were.

Magic eraser is the best for white shoes, although I haven't dared to use them on my classics yet. Anyone done that on their nice leather shoes?

#16 asong77

asong77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

SteveL1, on 29 February 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

That's interesting...and no damage at all to the head?

Yeah, I was tempted to scrub hard to make the work faster, but a few light strokes worked just as well. It'll be interesting to see the long-term affects of constantly using them, if any. I think I will experiment with the above Powerbands as my guinea pig...

ck800, on 01 March 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

I usually use a Clorox Bleach Pen, combined with either a really soft toothbrush and/or a white rag.  Gets the job done.  On white at least.

Another interesting idea...I will have to give the pen a try too...much easier to tuck into my golf bag...

I tried polishing the Powerbands using white/neutral Adidas shoe polish to try to cover up the cracked, peeling leather but it didn't work at all. I did order a leather color touch-up/repair kit from Amazon, so I will try that next. This is what I bought: Leather Color Touch Up Kit.

I'm going to try the Magic Eraser on my white belts now, and will take some before and after pictures too.

#17 FLGOLFJUNKIE

FLGOLFJUNKIE

Hard Work Pays Off!!!

• 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143083
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

I would die if the magic erasers didn't exist.

#18 FLGOLFJUNKIE

FLGOLFJUNKIE

Hard Work Pays Off!!!

• 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143083
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

SteveL1, on 29 February 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

YES they do!!!!!!

#19 asong77

asong77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Update: So as previously mentioned, I order the Liquid Leather Touch-Up kit from Amazon (mainly as an experiment) here: Liquid Leather Touch Up Kit from Amazon

The kit is kind of ghetto and low budget, not that I expected much for $6.45. It comes with 7 little bottles of leather touch up paint, vinyl adhesive, an extra bottle to mix paint colors, a plastic spatula, cheap brush, a foam block, and some different colored vinyl and fabric patches (to repair major cuts and gouges), and very basic instructions. Here is the kit:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Below are the after pictures using the white color touch-up paint on the Powerbands from earlier in this thread. It came out ok...if you look closely, you can tell that it's there, but I suppose it's better than the leather scratches and scuffs. The paint itself is pretty thick and gooey...you're supposed to use a few drops of water...and I did so and made the viscosity similar to White-Out. When the paint dried, it looks pretty sturdy, but we'll see how it holds up to cleanings and whatnot.

I didn't do a very comprehensive and detailed job with the touch-up (which you can obviously tell from the below pictures, lol), and I'm sure if I took more time and used a better brush, I would get better results. Like I said earlier, I don't really care about this particular pair of shoes, so I kind of rushed it a bit. I probably wouldn't try this my my newer and higher-end shoes like my Adipures or ATVs or Tour 360 4.0s, but if I did, I would obviously try to do a better job...

After photos:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 JayAreOhh924

JayAreOhh924

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151017
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

+1 for the magic eraser. We ringed up our walls pretty bad when moving and it got rid of the black marks and such. Only problem was the white paint on the walls was a flat sheen and it sort of polished them to a semi gloss kinda sheen. Much less noticableg than the black but I still know its there.

Ps: we tried warm water, soap and a wash cloth before trying Mr clean and nothing worked at all. Great product.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Steve o

Steve o

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53261
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hey, the Mr Clean MagIc Eraser is MONEY :swoon: :busted_cop: Just used one on a pair of Ecco's and they look like new.It lasted a lot longer than I expected it to as well. I am trying to get two pair clean on one pad.
Taylor Made R9 10.5
Taylor Made RBZ Hi Launch 17degree
Taylor Made RBZ Stage2 19degree
Ping G- their so old I am not sure
Bettinardi BHB1-C Hogan
Puglielli 56 & Taylor Made ATV 60

#22 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

haha I hate the magic erasers and have written them off for this reason.. the first time, my wife, used them she rubbed the paint straight off the wall in 4 or 5 spots... we had recently refinished our basement and were putting all of the furniture back downstairs.. the stairwell is a inch and a half more narrow than a normal doorframe so we banged the walls quite a bit with the leather furniture (crazy the difference an inch makes).... anyways i came home to bare dry wall in 4 or 5 spots lol.. had to repaint the hallway
XHot 10.5 Diamana S+ 62x5ct X Stiff
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400
Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48*
Titleist Vokey SM 54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - CS

#23 mmack067

mmack067

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78804
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

I see a couple people saying that it DOES work on white driver heads, but just want to make sure nobody else has had issues with it before I give it a go. Hear of any disasters?
Titleist 913 D2 - Oban Kyoshi Purple 65X
Callaway XHot Pro - Project X pxv 6.5
Titleist 910H 17 - Project X 7.0
Titleist 712CB 4-PW - X100
Vokey SM4 50*, Vokey CC 54*, 58*
2012 Scotty Cameron Select Newport

#24 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

All it is is a melamine foam block. You can order a dozen or more on ebay for much less than a brand name Magic Eraser. Just search for melamine foam.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors