Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wilson Staff Duo

74 replies to this topic

#1 CopeSteelers

CopeSteelers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67001
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

So I got a free sleeve two ball sleeve from a sales guy and he was saying the sale rep said it was high 30 something compression.  I told him there is no way and he laughed and said its true.  

I just checked and it's 40 and a two piece.

Anyone at all play these even as their cold weather ball?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84151
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

There is core compression and there is overall (whole ball) compression. Manufacturers know the core compression because they design and make the balls. Not so often they report overall compression.

I'd go by a report from an independent lab. Usually that is a rated overall compression (they test the whole ball).

Scientific Golf Ball Testing

Scroll down for text and pictures about compression measuring.

View PostCopeSteelers, on 28 February 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

So I got a free sleeve two ball sleeve from a sales guy and he was saying the sale rep said it was high 30 something compression.  I told him there is no way and he laughed and said its true.  

#3 Demo1

Demo1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48402
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

I've played this ball for two separate 9 hole outings, and I like it.  66 yrs. old, 85 mph swingspeed.  For me, it felt good in 45 degree weather and also in 68 degree weather.  I think it plays as advertised.....low spin off the driver, soft feel.  Wedge shots to the green seem to hit and stop(I don't spin the ball that much).  It rolls very true on putts.  For golfers like me, I think this is a great ball.

#4 78blades

78blades

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59589
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

For me its a great winter ball. I used to use Laddie Xtrems, but the Wilson DUO is better. I'm curious to see how they preform for me in the good weather. If nothing else they will work great with my persimmons woods when I play them.

My driver ss is 105 mph and 6i is 85 mph and I get pretty much my summer time distances with the DUO and they feel really nice off of the irons. I would highly recommend these balls.

#5 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:14.8
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Guys where are you finding these?   I've checked Walmart , Target , golf galaxy and Dicks.  Nobody has the duo ?

Ping G30 SF Tec 10* Tour 65
Ping K15 3w
Exotics Trilogy 20*/26* hybrids
Ping K15 5i-SW
Ping G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

#6 Demo1

Demo1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48402

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

I picked them up at Academy Sports.  You can probably get them at an Edwin Watts if you have one close.  They are also available online at places like TGW, Edwin Watts, Budget Golf, etc., but I know that adds shipping costs.

#7 philsRHman

philsRHman

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100923
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

I got a dozen to try out and I don't think they're built for a fast swing speed. My driver SS is 115 and when I hit the DUO it feels like a badmitton birdie or a wiffle ball or something really light and hollow. They actually fly far, but I couldn't get past the feel and the idea that the ball just flutters out wherever it wants to. I don't know if it's the result of really low spin plus compressing it a ton. I found that the low-SS versions of the Bridgestone balls also fly far and they told me it's because the ball compresses so much on impact with my swing that it's not imparting much spin and therefore flies farther.

#8 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Posterock9174, on 03 March 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Guys where are you finding these?   I've checked Walmart , Target , golf galaxy and Dicks.  Nobody has the duo ?

Sports Authority is the only nationwide chain I have seen that carries the entire Wilson line.

#9 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostLOVE4LPGA, on 29 February 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

There is core compression and there is overall (whole ball) compression. Manufacturers know the core compression because they design and make the balls. Not so often they report overall compression.

I'd go by a report from an independent lab. Usually that is a rated overall compression (they test the whole ball).

Scientific Golf Ball Testing

Scroll down for text and pictures about compression measuring.

Correct. The overall compression is all that matters considering you hit the entire ball and not just the core.

Can't say enough good things about the data that GBS.com/GBT.org provides. Unfortunately, the Duo has not been tested by them yet. They usually release an update with new;y tested balls every spring.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ta/page__st__30

#10 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:14.8
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hmmm don't have a sports authority or Edwin around us.  Dicks has the 50 ELite so maybe they will get some of the duo's in

Ping G30 SF Tec 10* Tour 65
Ping K15 3w
Exotics Trilogy 20*/26* hybrids
Ping K15 5i-SW
Ping G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 10of14

10of14

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101496
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

10 HCP with a driver swing speed of 102.  I tried this ball today.  Playing conditions were 75 degrees, sunny yet damp fairways. I decided to test two balls today; Wilson Duo and TM Penta3

I was directed to these when asking for low spin off driver, yet adequate spin and feel with irons.  .  First tee at the course is a straight on 398 par 4.  The TM was average length for my swing with a slight fade.  The Wilson was a bomb...straight and long!

Next hole; same results.  I agree with one reviewer that it (Duo) is a soft, yet unique feel.  However, the results for me were very solid off the tee and will go as far as saying quite long.  I have mixed reviews for irons and wedges.  With full shots it hit, one hop and stopped for me...excellent!  With half or short feel shots it was average.  It didn't have the stopping ability I wanted.  As for the putter..very good.  

This ball was a great surprise for me and I will now eliminate the TM Penta 3.  I will now compare the Duo against others, including Bridgestone, Sxiron and the Wilson Ci this spring and will post my results.

#12 funghow

funghow

DR of Oriental Medicine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20181
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

20 buck online somewhere, seems like a good ball for me

#13 borker

borker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115758
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

The only thing about this Duo is I have a tough time seeing where they fit into their lineup. Looks like a waste of resources other than to have a ball with regular looking dimples compared to the flat pan ones.

So let me get this straight for Wilson Staff balls:

They have the C:25 which I thought replaced the Zip 302. But the Zip is still in production and can be found at a bargain price of$15/dz compared to $22/z for C:25. Then they have the D:25 which is the 2-piece distance version of the C:25. Then they have the Fifty Elite as their super soft ball but then come out with the Duo that is now even softer. Yet they still have the Fifty Elite for those that can tell a 10 compression difference (50 for the Elite and 40 for Duo).

My guess is the :25 line is flopping and the Duo is put out to pick up sales that were hoping to go to the C:25 ball even though the Duo is 2-piece it is already getting better reputation. I would also guess that a "trio" will be out next as a 3-peice if the Duo continues to sell well. They will move away from the "either you love em of hate em" pan dimples they have been trying to use to differentiate themselves with.

Ping i/20 8.5 Project-X Black 6.5
Callaway Steelhead III 3w Uniflex Steel
Bridgestone J36 Combo 3-PW DG X100
Nicklaus Dual Slot wedges 52 & 58
Ping Scottsdale TR Tatum Putter 34"

#14 kazooblue

kazooblue

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172473
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

I tried them last weekend and I was impressed with them Hit them a little better than the tp3 and they had just a little less spin than the e5 overall a good ball. I want to test them when its over 65 degrees out here in michigan. My swing speed is 80-83mph they feel good off the putter as well.

#15 Steel Dillo

Steel Dillo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85795
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Just ordered 6 of the 2 ball packs for considerably less than a regular 12 pack would cost.

Really looking forward to giving these a try. Huge distance with soft feel is my holy grail for a golf ball.

#16 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Also BIG FIVE SPORTING GOODS chain carries the Duo.

View Poststorm319, on 04 March 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

View Posterock9174, on 03 March 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Sports Authority is the only nationwide chain I have seen that carries the entire Wilson line.

#17 Agent Jim

Agent Jim

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130281
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Holy crap are these balls soft! I have just been chipping them around before my round tomorrow. They are making a cast club feel like hitting the sweet spot of a forged iron. It is like hitting a marshmallow.
Ping I25 8.5 PWR75 45.25"
Maltby KE4 ST-F 14 & 18
Maltby KE4 Tour 19 Aldila NVS 85
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Snake Eyes Forged 56/SC Cali Fastback
Callaway Supersoft Yellow
WITB Link

#18 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Duo replaces the 50 and 50 Elite.

View Postborker, on 12 April 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

The only thing about this Duo is I have a tough time seeing where they fit into their lineup. Looks like a waste of resources other than to have a ball with regular looking dimples compared to the flat pan ones.

So let me get this straight for Wilson Staff balls:

They have the C:25 which I thought replaced the Zip 302. But the Zip is still in production and can be found at a bargain price of$15/dz compared to $22/z for C:25. Then they have the D:25 which is the 2-piece distance version of the C:25. Then they have the Fifty Elite as their super soft ball but then come out with the Duo that is now even softer. Yet they still have the Fifty Elite for those that can tell a 10 compression difference (50 for the Elite and 40 for Duo).

My guess is the :25 line is flopping and the Duo is put out to pick up sales that were hoping to go to the C:25 ball even though the Duo is 2-piece it is already getting better reputation. I would also guess that a "trio" will be out next as a 3-peice if the Duo continues to sell well. They will move away from the "either you love em of hate em" pan dimples they have been trying to use to differentiate themselves with.

#19 Steel Dillo

Steel Dillo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostSteel Dillo, on 24 April 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Just ordered 6 of the 2 ball packs for considerably less than a regular 12 pack would cost.

Really looking forward to giving these a try. Huge distance with soft feel is my holy grail for a golf ball.
Ok it's official. I have a new ball.

Long - check
Soft - check
Bite - check
Durability - check

I got my order in Monday & played yesterday in 85* temps. I was worried it would be squishy & short in higher temps, but boy was I wrong. They were definitely not just a cold weather ball.

I hit drives with the Duo, ProV1x & e7 on the same hole 6 times (rotating order I hit them in) & all but once was the order the same. There was about 8 - 12yds difference in distance between them. The e7 was the shortest, followed by the 1x in the middle & the Duo the longest. The 1x beat the Duo once by around 6 yds.

I was impressed around the green also. Very good off the putter unless you like balls that are loud off the face. Had a couple of 2 hop & stop chips also.

You owe it to yourself to try this ball.

#20 kazooblue

kazooblue

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172473

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

I finally played a full round with the duo today and I was impressed by its quality. I really never used any wilson since the double ti  I can now say that i may be gaming this ball this summer. It was long, soft off the irons, and decent spin from the wedges, putter feel was great too. I shopt 85 with it today but the first 9 was ok I wasnt playing that well. But on the second 9 is where the ball shined as well as my game too. I had three birdies on the back 9 and the ball performed very well.

So now I think I have a new ball and it is very comparable to the e5 by bridgestone even though the spin from the wedge is better on the e5 I like the cost and how it performs as a 20.00 dozen ball I can deal with the less spin.

Edited by kazooblue, 09 May 2012 - 11:00 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 newjedi

newjedi

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26091
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

I tried these out today along side my current gamer the Star XV.  For me I have found my budget ball now if only Wilson will offer them in Yellow.  I have 105 swing speed and the XV and Duo were neck and neck all day.

#22 borker

borker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115758
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostLOVE4LPGA, on 01 May 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

NO it doesn't. Where did you get that?

Wilson website still lists the 50 in their lineup. No mention by Wilson ANYWHERE about the Duo replacing anything. The Duo is a branch off of the FG Tour design with normal dimples. Although I DO suspect the hardpan dimple design that is associated with the Staff balls of recent past will die eventually as I don't think they are good sellers for Wilson as they'd like (I have had many comments about how the Staff balls I use look weird to them). I actually like the pan dimples as they sparkle in sunlight making my ball easier to find and stand out from partners balls after drives.

So in future it MAY look like the Duo replaced the 50 but not currently. In fact, I just saw my local Wal-Mart get 50 Elites in stock  for $12.86/dz
Ping i/20 8.5 Project-X Black 6.5
Callaway Steelhead III 3w Uniflex Steel
Bridgestone J36 Combo 3-PW DG X100
Nicklaus Dual Slot wedges 52 & 58
Ping Scottsdale TR Tatum Putter 34"

#23 Beatupfender

Beatupfender

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146717
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Does anyone know if Wilson plans on manufacturing these balls in yellow?

#24 ronniemac

ronniemac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177174
  • Ebay ID:Mangydecrepit
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostCopeSteelers, on 28 February 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

http://www.golfdiges...-balls#slide=25 Silver rating on the the hot list.

#25 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

In fact, I just saw my local Wal-Mart get 50 Elites in stock  for $12.86/dz.

To answer your own question to me, that is your first clue, but I don't want to come off as snarky. 50 Elite and ZIP are in major liquidation mode. No major OEM is "producing" golf balls to see them sell for a buck each.

- You can retail pick up the ZIP for $24 two-fer packs at any World Wide Golf (Golf Mart, Robert Dunn) and | or Sports Question Authority stores.

- Same stores sell the 50 Elite for $13 a box.

- You can Internet buy the ZIP for $20 per box, or the ELITE for $10 per box, here at this Internet golf gear liquidator:

http://www.budgetgolf.com/

Ask your local store manager where they get these. "Good buy" and "special purchase" are the polite, insider ways of saying, "we got approached to buy a ridiculous quantity at a price that was so attractive because even at $10 a box we make some money."

Wilson is one of the best major OEMs for supporting product into its liquidation cycle. They have done this for years. An entry on the web site is not an indication it is in PRODUCTION. The marginal cost of adding an entry to an existing PHP | Java | HTML web site is ... nothing.

i like your thinking about the dimples. That is very astute. "Replacement" in this context is about SHELF SPACE and PRICE POINT, not the technical minutia.

DUO is the current Wilson Staff ball in the $20 space.

View Postborker, on 15 May 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

View PostLOVE4LPGA, on 01 May 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

NO it doesn't. Where did you get that?

Wilson website still lists the 50 in their lineup. No mention by Wilson ANYWHERE about the Duo replacing anything. The Duo is a branch off of the FG Tour design with normal dimples. Although I DO suspect the hardpan dimple design that is associated with the Staff balls of recent past will die eventually as I don't think they are good sellers for Wilson as they'd like (I have had many comments about how the Staff balls I use look weird to them). I actually like the pan dimples as they sparkle in sunlight making my ball easier to find and stand out from partners balls after drives.

So in future it MAY look like the Duo replaced the 50 but not currently. In fact, I just saw my local Wal-Mart get 50 Elites in stock  for $12.86/dz

Edited by LOVE4LPGA, 19 May 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#26 Frankie Lob Wedge

Frankie Lob Wedge

Charlie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130943
GolfWRX Likes : 507

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostSteel Dillo, on 03 May 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

View PostSteel Dillo, on 24 April 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Ok it's official. I have a new ball.

Long - check
Soft - check
Bite - check
Durability - check

I got my order in Monday & played yesterday in 85* temps. I was worried it would be squishy & short in higher temps, but boy was I wrong. They were definitely not just a cold weather ball.

I hit drives with the Duo, ProV1x & e7 on the same hole 6 times (rotating order I hit them in) & all but once was the order the same. There was about 8 - 12yds difference in distance between them. The e7 was the shortest, followed by the 1x in the middle & the Duo the longest. The 1x beat the Duo once by around 6 yds.

I was impressed around the green also. Very good off the putter unless you like balls that are loud off the face. Had a couple of 2 hop & stop chips also.

You owe it to yourself to try this ball.

I always love Wilson balls like the 50/50 off the irons. I will have to try the Duo.  The Pro V1x is a long ball.  I have had Wilsons beat it too.

#27 newjedi

newjedi

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26091
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

I posted on their facebook wall and they said not at this time.

View PostBeatupfender, on 15 May 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

Does anyone know if Wilson plans on manufacturing these balls in yellow?

#28 Airmick

Airmick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83629
  • Handicap:14

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

These balls are available at Big 5 Sporting Goods.
Cobra ZL 10.5 Blur
Burner 09 4 thru PW
Cleveland 52 56 58
Anser 2
Chrome Yellow

#29 Steel Dillo

Steel Dillo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Well I'll continue pimpin' these balls because I hit the longest drive of my life yesterday.

It's not impressive compared to most WRXers, But I hit one 297yds on a 346yd par 4. Couldn't believe it.

Still impressed with the distance, feel & bite for a ball at this price point.

BTW, Academy Sporting Goods was clearing out their yellow 50 Elites for less than $10 a box.

#30 Tuba

Tuba

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51854

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

I just played the Duo the past two days.  They are a good 15-20 yds further on the driver for me and sometimes more.  I am looking for my ball in places I had never considered before.  It stops close to the ballmark and it even putts nicely.  I'm not telling anybody around here about it, though.
I had to hunt all over for a dozen and found them at Sports Authority.  They had tons of balls on the shelves, but only two dozen of these left.  One dozen now.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors