Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Do Driver heads wear out?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 3 putt Charlie

3 putt Charlie

3-Putt Charlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139105
  • Ebay ID:thejoffe
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

I go to the driving range at couple times a week and after I practice some short game and iron shots.  I love to just pull out my driver or three wood and go after it.  I know it's probably not great for my game, but I probably hit my driver 200 times a week.  My questions is: should I be concerned that I will reduce the performance of my driver or shorten it's life?

I have heard of long drive high swing speed guys who cave-in the face of their drivers.  My SS is only 105-110, so that is not an issue.  Any engineer types know?
Thanks

J40 430/9.5*/ahina70S
TEE CB3/13*//Wishon 949mc/18*
Adams A12/19*/VTS Silver S
Bridgestone J33 Combo 4-PW
Scratch raw metal 1018 D/S 52 & 58
Ping Redwood Anser, 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Jc0

Jc0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119066
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

No. Drivers will wear out but it takes a long time. The main thing is the age. I have a 120 mph swing speed and used the same driver for 3 years before I saw any real change in distance and it was just a few yards.  Bigger threat to your driver is sandy range ball. Driver faces aren't that thick so wear from sand and large nicks to the face could potential cause an issue, but probably not. As for fairway woods I've never seen one ware out, only major face failure.

#3 Stretch

Stretch

#golfwrxproblems

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106949
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Short answer, you'll probably get tired of it and buy another driver long before it ever "wears out". The two main ways a driver gets out of spec are a flattening of the bulge and roll radii or the development of tiny cracks in the edge welds between the crown, body and face. Neither are common unless there was a manufacturing defect or you're banging away at 130 mph or so.

For a much more comprehensive answer, see here:

http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__4291999

#4 3 putt Charlie

3 putt Charlie

3-Putt Charlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139105
  • Ebay ID:thejoffe
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostStretch, on 27 February 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Short answer, you'll probably get tired of it and buy another driver long before it ever "wears out". The two main ways a driver gets out of spec are a flattening of the bulge and roll radii or the development of tiny cracks in the edge welds between the crown, body and face. Neither are common unless there was a manufacturing defect or you're banging away at 130 mph or so.

For a much more comprehensive answer, see here:

http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__4291999

Thanks...great link
J40 430/9.5*/ahina70S
TEE CB3/13*//Wishon 949mc/18*
Adams A12/19*/VTS Silver S
Bridgestone J33 Combo 4-PW
Scratch raw metal 1018 D/S 52 & 58
Ping Redwood Anser, 34"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors