Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping G20 Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sean J B

Sean J B

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141747
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Thinking something over and wondering if anyone has any experience of doing something similar.

Currently play I15 irons up to 4 iron and a G20 hybrid (20* loft supposed 3 iron replacement).
My current hybrid is basically a 2 iron replacement, I'll hit it a good 25 yards more than my 4 iron, which is fine, I don't mind that gapping at that end of my bag, I can choke down on the hybrid, hit high cuts, etc to take some off it.
But I'm now thinking of replacing the 4 and maybe even 5 iron, I play to around 6 and hit my long irons quite consistently, but I am in love with the G20 hybrid, it's so easy to hit it feels like cheating :-)
Now if I'm to replace the 4 and 5 irons I would want the distance to be equivalent to my current setup, so I'm thinking about steel shafts and same length as the irons they'd be replacing.
Anyone done this, any positive or negative feedback appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jeffrey r

jeffrey r

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83556
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

I play three G15 hybrids, 20*, 23* and 27*, replacing my 3, 4 and 5 irons.  I play the AWT steel shaft (the same shaft as my G15 irons) in the 23* and 27* hybrids, and love it.  They are a great segue between my graphite shafted woods and 3 hybrid on the one hand, and my 6-GW steel shafted irons on the other hand.  And yes, like you, I find the G15/G20 hybrids so easy to hit as well--they are gamechangers for me.  I know they have their detractors, but I think they are great.

I can't say I even noticed the length of the shafts, I bought them used pretty cheap from globalgolf, which seems to always have a decent selection of steel shafted G15 hybrids (I am LH, but they have RH as well).

Good luck.
TM R9 Supertri TP 10.5*, X-Con 5 R
Cobra Bio Cell 17.5* FW
Cobra Baffler T-Rail+ 22* Hybrid
Ping G25 Irons 4-UW, CFS S
TM Tour Preferred 54* and 58* Wedges
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2 CM Putter

#3 Sean J B

Sean J B

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
I play AWT shafts in my irons so it would make sense to get these.
They're not a stock option seemingly, but presume I can custom order the G20 hybrid with steel AWT shaft, anyone know for sure?

#4 Lemonde

Lemonde

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161181
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostSean J B, on 24 February 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Thinking something over and wondering if anyone has any experience of doing something similar.

Currently play I15 irons up to 4 iron and a G20 hybrid (20* loft supposed 3 iron replacement).
My current hybrid is basically a 2 iron replacement, I'll hit it a good 25 yards more than my 4 iron, which is fine, I don't mind that gapping at that end of my bag, I can choke down on the hybrid, hit high cuts, etc to take some off it.
But I'm now thinking of replacing the 4 and maybe even 5 iron, I play to around 6 and hit my long irons quite consistently, but I am in love with the G20 hybrid, it's so easy to hit it feels like cheating :-)
Now if I'm to replace the 4 and 5 irons I would want the distance to be equivalent to my current setup, so I'm thinking about steel shafts and same length as the irons they'd be replacing.
Anyone done this, any positive or negative feedback appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Agree with the cheating part. Very easy to hit. Not the prettiest but who cares. And I am a tm driver and iron guy. Have the 20 and 23 in the xstiff tour graphite shaft
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 Aldila Tour Green X
Adams XTD 17 Hybrid Fubuki X
Cleveland Mashie 20.5 Miyazaki  X
Adams CMB 5-GW C Taper S
Mizuno T4 56/13 & 60/8
Ping Zing TR

#5 Sean J B

Sean J B

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Yeah they're not pretty but they sure start to look better when you have a lot of confidence with them.
Think the offset has a lot of people thinking that they'll hook it off the charts, but that shouldnt be the case, I play with a draw but I can cut my 20* no trouble at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors