Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Under Armour ColdGear (EVO vs. "non-EVO")


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lchang

lchang

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53955
  • Joined: 04/17/2008
  • Location:San Carlos, CA
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Does anyone know the difference between Under Armour's EVO ColdGear vs. their regular ColdGear?

e.g., http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1210354  vs. http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1215483


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 misterlau

misterlau

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113603
  • Joined: 08/27/2010
  • Location:NY
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

i've never seen the EVO in person, but it looks like they're saying it's two layers; with a softer inner layer and a smoother outer layer.  The regular UA gear is just a single layer and feels the same on the inside and outside.

#3 asong77

asong77

    Try reading the rules, you shankapotamus!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34343
  • Joined: 07/11/2007
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

 lchang, on 20 February 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Does anyone know the difference between Under Armour's EVO ColdGear vs. their regular ColdGear?

e.g., http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1210354  vs. http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1215483

You'll find your answer if you check out the customer reviews on UA's website for each respective model. For example, excerpt from one reviewer:

"I've been buying UA for years and the EVO line was made to be thinner, lighter, and warmer than the original coldgear. After wearing it a couple times I would say it is thinner and lighter but not warmer. I still recommend this as a good base layer, but I just wish these were as warm as they used to be in previous years."

#4 lchang

lchang

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53955
  • Joined: 04/17/2008
  • Location:San Carlos, CA
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

 asong77, on 21 February 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

 lchang, on 20 February 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Does anyone know the difference between Under Armour's EVO ColdGear vs. their regular ColdGear?

e.g., http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1210354  vs. http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1215483

You'll find your answer if you check out the customer reviews on UA's website for each respective model. For example, excerpt from one reviewer:

"I've been buying UA for years and the EVO line was made to be thinner, lighter, and warmer than the original coldgear. After wearing it a couple times I would say it is thinner and lighter but not warmer. I still recommend this as a good base layer, but I just wish these were as warm as they used to be in previous years."

I saw that, but he seemed to be the only one with that opinion.  I was hoping to see if anyone on here had actually tried it themselves.

Edited by lchang, 21 February 2012 - 11:09 PM.


#5 asong77

asong77

    Try reading the rules, you shankapotamus!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34343
  • Joined: 07/11/2007
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

 lchang, on 21 February 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

 asong77, on 21 February 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

 lchang, on 20 February 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Does anyone know the difference between Under Armour's EVO ColdGear vs. their regular ColdGear?

e.g., http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1210354  vs. http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1215483

You'll find your answer if you check out the customer reviews on UA's website for each respective model. For example, excerpt from one reviewer:

"I've been buying UA for years and the EVO line was made to be thinner, lighter, and warmer than the original coldgear. After wearing it a couple times I would say it is thinner and lighter but not warmer. I still recommend this as a good base layer, but I just wish these were as warm as they used to be in previous years."

I saw that, but he seemed to be the only one with that opinion.  I was hoping to see if anyone on here had actually tried it themselves.


Ahh, ok, gotcha. Also from the UA website:


WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COLDGEAR AND EVOCOLDGEAR?
Coldgear keeps you warm but EVO is the next generation in Coldgear.  It is softer on the skin with an ultra-brushed interior trapping more warmth and it's flat-lock stitching lays flat against the skin to prevent chafing.


By the way, here's the same mock for $10 less...but other colors. The charcoal looks fine though...you won't look like Skittles:

http://www.underarmo...ELAID=967251003


#6 itsernst

itsernst

    Digital Genius & wanna be golfer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132882
  • Joined: 07/12/2011
  • Location:San Diego, California
  • Ebay ID:itsernst
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

If the cost is much more, I'd say stick with the OG Coldgear.  My lady can vouch that I am sick with Under Armour fever and the cold gear is warm enough if the "cold" weather here in San Diego but cools off nicely if it warms up.

#7 asong77

asong77

    Try reading the rules, you shankapotamus!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34343
  • Joined: 07/11/2007
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

 lchang, on 21 February 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

 asong77, on 21 February 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

 lchang, on 20 February 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Does anyone know the difference between Under Armour's EVO ColdGear vs. their regular ColdGear?

e.g., http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1210354  vs. http://www.underarmo...s/en/pid1215483

You'll find your answer if you check out the customer reviews on UA's website for each respective model. For example, excerpt from one reviewer:

"I've been buying UA for years and the EVO line was made to be thinner, lighter, and warmer than the original coldgear. After wearing it a couple times I would say it is thinner and lighter but not warmer. I still recommend this as a good base layer, but I just wish these were as warm as they used to be in previous years."

I saw that, but he seemed to be the only one with that opinion.  I was hoping to see if anyone on here had actually tried it themselves.

I forgot to mention...if you want the WARMEST base layer out there, I would highly recommend and suggest the UA Cold Gear Metal...the thing is much warmer than the regular Cold Gear. It has some decent heft to it without being restrictive (the side panels near the underarm area are thinner and stretchy and allows for a great range of motion). If you go with the Metal gear, I would suggest you size up one size, as they tend to run a little smaller. I own three of them and they're awesome for any cold weather activity. I believe UA discontinued it but you can still find them online.  For example:

http://www.mackspw.c...tem--i-UND4592S
http://www.toughweld...l-tactical-mock
http://www.baseballp...metal-mock.html

I can't vouch for any of the above links but even at the full price of $80, I think it's still worth it, if you need extreme warmth and mobility.


 itsernst, on 21 February 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

If the cost is much more, I'd say stick with the OG Coldgear.  My lady can vouch that I am sick with Under Armour fever and the cold gear is warm enough if the "cold" weather here in San Diego but cools off nicely if it warms up.

Haha, I know what you mean...there are times when I have to stop myself and get redressed to avoid wearing UA EVERYTHING! Even my socks and underwear are Under Armour...  

Speaking of UA underwear...I wear only the UA moisture-wicking short jock and just for the hell of it, I inquired via an email to UA customer service about a free replacement, as the jocks were a few years old and the waist band of my jocks were sagging and very loose. I think it was mainly because their guarantee was so bold..."Our Mission is clear: Make All Athletes Better. If you're not 100% satisfied with your gear, exchange or return it for a full refund. Anytime. Any reason. Guaranteed."  

In any case, after seeing that claim on their website, I wrote them an email (again, not expecting anything) and to my surprise and delight,  they replied with a return form and told me to send them back for a free replacement. So I took all 10 pairs of UA jocks and sent it off. About two weeks later, I had 10 brand-new pairs of jocks in my hands.

Did I take advantage of the situation? Perhaps. Will I lose sleep over it? Absolutely not. Obviously, the waist band starting to sag after a few years is just normal wear and tear and not a defect, but in all honesty, I went onto the UA website with the intent to purchase new jocks, but then saw their bold statement about the "anytime for any reason guaranteed", and I must say, they completely lived up to that high bar and expectation. For that reason alone, I will continue to buy UA gear, even if they command a premium price.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors