Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Switching from interlock to overlap grip

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MC21

MC21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163555
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

I've recently started playing golf again after a 4 year layoff. I had only used the overlap grip when I was younger and playing junior and tournament golf, but when I started playing again this past month I decided to give the interlocking grip a try. My grip was terrible though and fundamentally incorrect, and I believe that is why the interlock felt best. I have corrected my fundamentals now, or so I think, but I have switched from the interlock back to the overlapping grip that I grew up with.

My issue has been that my right pinky often slides out of the overlap on the follow through, and my right hand is barely holding onto the club at finish and has slid down the grip. I also do not feel as sound at the top of my back swing. I've attached some pictures of my current grip, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

One of the issues I'm trying to work on is not squeezing the life out of the club during my swing because I really struggle to release the club when doing this, but I do not think that this is the cause. My grip pressure is probably a 4 on a scale of 1-10. I still am able to strike the ball well even when my grip slides during follow through, but I know that this is not supposed to happen and isn't an issue I ever ran into when playing juniors. Thanks for any help.

Also, I know that my overlap is more of an inter-lap, but when I place my right pinky solely over my left index finger I do not feel comfortable or that I have control of the club. I wear a mens cadet large, so hand size is average to above-average I'd suppose.

Attached Thumbnails

• grip.jpg
  • grip 1.jpg
  • grip 2.jpg

Edited by MC21, 20 February 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 B5G4B

B5G4B

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94562
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Ever try a 10 finger grip?

#3 MC21

MC21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

B5G4B, on 20 February 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

No i haven't, always was an overlapper when I was younger and have only messed around with overlapping and interlocking since I started playing again.

#4 Blues Golfer

Blues Golfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40921
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

The underside view looks fairly neutral...the top view looks strong.  Not sure which you actually swing with.  But the important part is not REALLY whether you interlock or overlap, it's how you bring the face to the ball and release through impact.  Without knowing the quality of your impact, ball flight pattern, and trajectory, it's a little tough to tell what you want or need.

I have never found the trigger index finger (spread away from from right hand) helpful.  Some people do, I do not and I have tried.  Just a personal observation.

Losing your grip is not so serious after impact...but I recommend looking at your impact and release to figure out if making it stronger, or weaker, gives you more club control through impact.  Observe the shaft lean and the wrist position at impact as well.  They may hold other clues to better impact.

#5 tdogg21

tdogg21

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165253
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

B5G4B, on 20 February 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

I would give that one a try.  I grew up with the interlocking grip, but due to a life of other sports, by the time I was a teenager, my pinky wasn't straight anymore.  that caused an issue when interlocked that caused a lot of pain by the end of the round.  I then tried the overlap, but didn't feel I had the control and I had a similar issue with my fingers sliding.  so I went to the "baseball" grip and haven't looked back.

#6 rightlefty

rightlefty

Just trying to be helpful

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64056
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

I have just swtched from an overlap to an interlock. Here is what I have found, It is much easier to hook the ball with an overlap grip and much easier to cut, or fade the ball with an interlock grip

#7 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

I grew up with interlock, played overlap for 4 years, and went back to interlock.  With either I had trouble with my right hand, similarly to what you describe.  It took me years to figure out that the real problem was mainly with the size of the grip in my right hand.  I significantly reduced the taper in the grip by putting 3 wraps over the shaft, and putting 3 more in just the right hand area.  I have found a lot of people who like less taper in the grip, and especially like the bigger size in the right hand.

#8 MC21

MC21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

I've worked on my grip since those pictures after some more research, closed the gap between my right thumb and index finger and balanced out the strength. I've since switched back to and overlap and it feels much better. Like someone else had previously said, I dislocated my pinkie a couple years back sliding to the inside part of home plate and catching the catchers foot. I now have a funky shaped pinky and I think that it can be uncomfortable at times.

#9 Cicero

Cicero

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41303
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Try looking at your grip size.  I just went to midsize grips (from standard), and my hands don't slide around like they used to.  Well, not on the driver anyway.  I haven't changed the grip on the irons yet, and the grip still moves around some.

#10 Capecodder19

Capecodder19

Advanced

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124394
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

I agree w the grip size people.

Take the club in your left hand, grip it normal. If your ring finger is squished into your heel pad your grips are too small. The finger should barely touch, or be just slightly away from your heel pad.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors