Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

BEN HOGAN BRAND SOLD TO PERRY ELLIS INT'L

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 rgolf06

rgolf06

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19142
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

WELL.............ANY COMMENTS OR OBSERVATIONS FROM ANYBODY ?
i dont have a clue who will help them with design,anybody here know who they may hire ?
ray

Perry Ellis International, Inc. Completes Purchase of the Ben Hogan Golf Brand
Published: February 16, 2012 MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 16, 2012--       Perry Ellis International, Inc. (NASDAQ: PERY) (“the Company”) announced       that it has completed the purchase of the world-wide intellectual       property rights of the Ben Hogan family of brands from Callaway Golf Co.       (NYSE:ELY). The Company will also assume all license arrangements,       including South Korea & Japan, for apparel and accessories under the Ben       Hogan brand name.    

Ben Hogan (1912 – 1997) "The Hawk" is one of the legendary giants of       golf history with over 69 PGA Tour victories and 9 major championships.       Following his most successful season, Hogan started his golf club       company in the fall of 1953 in Fort Worth, TX. Today, the brand name       remains renowned among players and fans around the world and still       stands for the superior quality he demanded throughout his career.    

“We are extremely pleased with the addition of the Ben Hogan brand to       our current golf portfolio as it reinforces our strategic focus on our       core competency in golf lifestyle apparel. We are working to launch the       Ben Hogan brand, within major retailers looking to capitalize on the       white space on their floors and in the marketplace,” commented Oscar       Feldenkreis, president and chief operating officer of Perry Ellis       International.    

About Perry Ellis International

Perry Ellis International, Inc. is a leading designer, distributor and       licensor of a broad line of high quality men's and women's apparel,       accessories and fragrances, as well as select children's apparel. The       Company's collection of dress and casual shirts, golf sportswear,       sweaters, dress pants, casual pants and shorts, jeans wear, active wear,       dresses and men's and women's swimwear is available through all major       levels of retail distribution. The Company, through its wholly owned       subsidiaries, owns a portfolio of nationally and internationally       recognized brands, including: Perry Ellis®, Jantzen®, Laundry by       Shelli Segal®, C&C California®, Rafaella®, Cubavera®, Centro®,       Solero®, Munsingwear®, Savane®, Original Penguin® by       Munsingwear®, Grand Slam®, Natural Issue®, Pro Player®, the       Havanera Co.®, Axis®, Tricots St. Raphael®, Gotcha®, Girl       Star®, MCD®, John Henry®, Mondo di Marco®, Redsand®,       Manhattan

Edited by easyyy, 17 February 2012 - 08:05 PM.
added the press release

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Mizgoodie

Mizgoodie

golf happy! golf good!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45596
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

View Postrgolf06, on 17 February 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

i dont have a clue who will help them with design,anybody here know who they may hire ?
ray

it being perriy ellis  don't they make clothes , i bet the branding for a hogn line was in that purchase. the clubs might never happen again.. imo

#3 doublenuts

doublenuts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4154
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

View Postrgolf06, on 17 February 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

ray

" ...reinforces our strategic focus on our core competency in golf lifestyle apparel. We are working to launch the Ben Hogan brand, within major retailers looking to capitalize on the white space on their floors and in the marketplace,”

I know them for PROPER fitting clothes. When they say "36" THEY mean "35.75".

I really don't see them getting into the clubmaking biz though -it ain't their "core". But then again we have Puma.

Edited by doublenuts, 17 February 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#4 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Interesting...sad to see the Hogan brand go from being known for "forged" clubs to nothing more than a logo on clothing.

#5 bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14841
  • Ebay ID:kjam100100
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Amen to that, I wish I would have kept my Apex Edge irons, and I wish they were still in business, very good equipment overall and outstanding irons at least until those final couple of years.
KH

#6 rgolf06

rgolf06

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19142
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

i also miss the lore of the brand, the perfection associated with his name ans classy look of the signature on a blade iron.i also wonder if anyone at perry ellis really "gets it " ...because i don't think shirts,hats,clothing will be profitable at all with the ben hogan name.

View Postbosoxfan, on 17 February 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

Amen to that, I wish I would have kept my Apex Edge irons, and I wish they were still in business, very good equipment overall and outstanding irons at least until those final couple of years.
KH

#7 harmonica

harmonica

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49997
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

I would expect some severely tight creases in the pants.

Equalizer Shorts maybe?

#8 wolfpack

wolfpack

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89944
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

If they do get back to clubs... they should stick to irons, wedges, and putters.    I would buy Hogan golf shirts for sure, as long as they are classy and simple like the old Penguin brand.
Cobra Bio Cell 12* White Tie 6x3
RBZ Tour 5 Rip Beta 80X 17.5*
Ping G10 Hybrid 21* Steelfiber 80s
Ping Eye 2+ BECU 5-PW JZ stiff
TM Rac 58 Y/ Eye 2+ SW
Ping Scottsdale TR Anser T

#9 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 12,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2800

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Some may or may not remember a thread a year or two back that suggested the way to save the Hogan brand was to start with apparel and use that as a foundation to get back into clubs, at least in niche areas.

Frankly, I don't think the sale is a bad thing, seeing as how Callaway has already destroyed the brand. "Up" is the only direction left.
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
PING Anser Milled #2
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#10 scottybaseball

scottybaseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150733
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Perry Ellis is the company that has handled the Callaway apparel lines the past few years.  A Callaway rep told me this last year, but the following is a link from an article published in 2009 to confirm.

http://www.golf.com/...ay-back-apparel

Just thought it is an interesting twist in the Callaway/Perry Ellis relationship and I wonder if it will have an impact on the possibility of them bringing out a line of clubs.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 17 February 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

Some may or may not remember a thread a year or two back that suggested the way to save the Hogan brand was to start with apparel and use that as a foundation to get back into clubs, at least in niche areas.

Frankly, I don't think the sale is a bad thing, seeing as how Callaway has already destroyed the brand. "Up" is the only direction left.

I agree with your last statement.   For all those hoping Callaway would revive the Ben Hogan brand...I kept thinking that they were dreaming.   It just wouldn't make sense to put another high end brand (irons) against their own Callaway products.  Callaway is the flagship.

Edited by Skaffa77, 17 February 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#12 BC33

BC33

Golf Enthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71716
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I started playing in 1997, the year I got married.  My first players club, serious purchase was in 1999, purchased the Apex Plus, 2 through PW and a Hogan staff bag.  Played those irons through the 2004 season when I switched to the Apex FTX split combo set.  The feel of a Hogan forged iron is one of the sweetest feelings in golf.  I've got three hole-in-ones, all with Hogan irons.  I still have a set of the FTX, had a spare set that I sold two years ago.  Have played multiple sets of forged irons since then (Callaway, TM, Adams) and the Hogans still stand up.

Hogan's tour presence was a solid stable of likable pros.  Jonathan Byrd, Luke Donald ( I think?), Jim Furyk, JJ Henry, Hal Sutton, Dennis Paulson, Bernhard Langer, Steve Pate, Olin Browne and Justin Leonard.  When Callaway acquired Spalding, it was more for the ball patents of Top Flite than Hogan clubs.  I always hoped that Callaway would revive the brand, now maybe Perry Ellis can do something similar to what Puma has done, as previously mentioned.  I'm optimistic that some positive can come of this.

Still have several Hogan hats, several wedges, 2 staff bags and my Bettinardi Big Ben putter.  I would have no issue gaming Hogan and would really like to see a Hogan staffer on tour again.
TayorMade Jetspeed HL Fubuki 60
RBZ 3 Wood Ozik stock
RBZ 5 Wood Ozik stock
TaylorMade RocketBladez Tour Project X
Scotty Cameron GOLO 3
TaylorMade ATV 52, 56 and 60

#13 aceb1

aceb1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11547

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

People, they are talking about the clothing line.  Not the golf equipment ;)

#14 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

The hogan hawk golf ball was flat awesome.

#15 forgedforever

forgedforever

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68926
  • Ebay ID:crazy4huskers
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostBC33, on 17 February 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

Still have several Hogan hats, several wedges, 2 staff bags and my Bettinardi Big Ben putter.  I would have no issue gaming Hogan and would really like to see a Hogan staffer on tour again.

And here I thought I was the only crazy person left who has lots of Hogan hats left over.  Here's some of them.  

DSC03331.JPG

And, in full disclosure, I just bought 3 more new Hogan hats on Ebay within the past week.  These are the ones that read Since 1953 on the bill of the caps.  Two dark blue and one red.  

I have *gulp* three Hogan staff bags here at the house.  Two of them have never been on the course.  One is a large 10-inch bag that is great for storing a number of clubs.  The second is one of those white staff bags from the Ben Hogan Tour era.  It reads Ben Hogan Shreveport Open on the back.

#16 Ventucky Local

Ventucky Local

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124750
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

IMO Perry Ellis is on solid ground here to create a clean, classic line of clothing and spin off the equipment if necessary or license someone to make it. Some retro brand/styles have done pretty well over the last decade. Maybe PE can make something out of Hogan if they can mine the rich history available to them correctly. It would be nice to see the old logo show up on some clean, minimalist clothing to start with.

#17 dpark

dpark

5 and counting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postaceb1, on 17 February 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Correct. I talked with folks at Callaway yesterday and they confirmed it was only the clothing rights that Perry Ellis purchased. No club rights at all.
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1978 Ben Hogan Pennyback Medallions 2-E
1980 Ben Hogan Special SI Sand Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

#18 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• 7,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:7.9
GolfWRX Likes : 1548

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

View Postdpark, on 17 February 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

View Postaceb1, on 17 February 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Correct. I talked with folks at Callaway yesterday and they confirmed it was only the clothing rights that Perry Ellis purchased. No club rights at all.

Thanks for the confirmation.  Perry Ellis was never going make clubs.  Soft goods are where the profit is at.

#19 The Recreational Golfer

The Recreational Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125407

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

GolfWorld magazine reported today Eidolon Golf has entered into a licensing agreement with Perry Ellis to produce Ben Hogan golf equipment. The project is being led by Terry Koehler, once the director of marketing for the Hogan company. There is no timetable for delivering the clubs for sale, due to Koehler's desire to "get it right."

#20 illyc

illyc

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263898
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

“Our full, custom operation will be in Fort Worth,” said Koehler, who describes himself as a life-long Hogan devotee. “It’s an opportunity to maybe right some wrongs and create a great business opportunity.”

In keeping with tradition, he said, the emphasis will be on producing high-quality irons.

“We’ve got some technology developing that is going to be a major impact on the irons market,” he said. “Our focus is on building the most precise, perfected set of irons that has ever been done. We’re not going to chase these four- to six-month product cycles because it’s not good for business and it’s not good for the golfers.”

awesome to read

Edited by illyc, 12 May 2014 - 11:03 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 PutterHo

PutterHo

We all have our vices.

• 1,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67708
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

Damn …. so there goes my Wal-Mart Hogan Dry Fit golf shorts for $14.00

#22 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46727
  • Ebay ID:fisherj14
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostPutterHo, on 13 May 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

Damn . so there goes my Wal-Mart Hogan Dry Fit golf shorts for $14.00

This had no effect on clothing. That doesn't change at all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors