Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

RIP Phenom 50 vs Beta 60

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rbilramz

rbilramz

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123836
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

I am about to order my new driver (RBZ 9.5 FWIW) and cannot decide what shaft to order.  I always liked the RIP Beta 60 (stiff) and thought that would be the one to order.  Now Aldila is offering the Phenom as an improved version of the Beta.  I like the idea of a lighter shaft, but was wondering how it would perform compared to the Beta 60.

Has anyone had a chance to hit the Phenom 50?  All of your feedback would be GREALTY appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Mr. Maxfli

Mr. Maxfli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95135
  • Ebay ID:n/a
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm awaiting a review as well. Aldila told me they'll be available beginning of next month. Easyyy had a 50g stiff he was going to test and report back on. Easyyy, you out there man? We need a review :clapping: .

#3 markheardjr

markheardjr

Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:tourguyd
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

I have played a Beta 60x and 80x as well as Phenom 50x proto. The Beta's were not my cup of tea. They felt hingey to me and the shaft lag coupled with my swing lag was just ugly!  :black eye: I played the Alpha 60x for almost a year but the tip just felt so dead to me. I wanted to like the Beta to get a little action but the profile was just too far off for my swing style.

The Phenom holds up to my lag swing MUCH better and the timing was there. I didnt' get that stuck feeling on the downswing. The ballflight was what I wanted. Mid trajectory with lower spin for that tour like floater trajectory. It's was super light but felt pretty stable. Not as beastly as the Alpha. I'd play the Phenom 60x or 70x. The 50x was a tad light. Even if I had higher swing speeds I just didn't feel comfortable with the club, felt like I lost feeling of where the head was. A 60x or 70x would be great. Imagine a slightly higher launching Rip Alpha with way less boardy feel. Maybe comparable to a Kai'Li feel if the Alpha is comparable to a Ahina feel.

#4 rbilramz

rbilramz

Advanced

• 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123836
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Easyyy, have you had a chance to play the Phenom 50 yet?

#5 keith723

keith723

Major Winner

• 1,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16361
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

View Postmarkheardjr, on 14 February 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

I have played a Beta 60x and 80x as well as Phenom 50x proto. The Beta's were not my cup of tea. They felt hingey to me and the shaft lag coupled with my swing lag was just ugly!  :black eye: I played the Alpha 60x for almost a year but the tip just felt so dead to me. I wanted to like the Beta to get a little action but the profile was just too far off for my swing style.

The Phenom holds up to my lag swing MUCH better and the timing was there. I didnt' get that stuck feeling on the downswing. The ballflight was what I wanted. Mid trajectory with lower spin for that tour like floater trajectory. It's was super light but felt pretty stable. Not as beastly as the Alpha. I'd play the Phenom 60x or 70x. The 50x was a tad light. Even if I had higher swing speeds I just didn't feel comfortable with the club, felt like I lost feeling of where the head was. A 60x or 70x would be great. Imagine a slightly higher launching Rip Alpha with way less boardy feel. Maybe comparable to a Kai'Li feel if the Alpha is comparable to a Ahina feel.

I agree with this - the Phenom is really a highly improved Beta.  Produces the mid trajectory that is very good with lower spin.

I have an extra SF TP head laying around - a nice Phenom 70 may be the ticket!

BTW - I have the TM TP Phenom 80-S in my R11S TP 4 wood and it is one of the better FW shafts I've ever played.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors