Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My Rocketballz golf ball review

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hehateme

Hehateme

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133784
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Me- Currently playing at a 3.2, SS 110- irons Callaway X forged with rifle 6.0.

I decided 2012 was going to be my new golf ball year or, rather, my new CHEAP golf ball year. My typical ball is either PV1X or the combo of B330/B330s. Late last year I started playing the E6 and found that for a $26 ball it was fantastic. 95% of the performance of the premium ball for $26. Another of my cheapER balls is the TP black, which is a fantastic ball for $29.00.

Well, Richards (dicks) sent me a $20 gift certificate a couple weeks back so I went to buy new cheap balls and decided to go for the Rocketballz golf ball. Since it was so new there is very little in the way of reviews online, so for $6 + tax I went for it. Friday we played one of the shorter public courses in town, 6500 yards and pretty open with large greens, an old school layout if you will. Anyhow, lets get to how the Rocketballz ball played. Solid off of the driver and every bit as long as my premium balls, so an A+ for distance. Very little side spin so they were straight off the driver as well. Long and mid iron play was also solid if not a little clunky, but distance was good and the ball was straight. I give that portion of my ball test a solid B+ just because the feedback off the irons was clunky and harsh. Maybe I need to hit the ball in the club face?? Short Iron approaches into the green, say from 160 yards in which is usually a hard 8 iron for me, gave good spin with some backspin if struck well. The greens were firm which inhibited back spin a little. But, the balls performed well from these distances. A solid A grade here. From 100 yards in the ball performed equally as well as from 150 yards in but again with less spin than I am accustomed too. I would give the ball a B from 100 yards in because I generally like to spin or one hop stop the ball from here.

Where the ball REALLY showed it's cheapness (my word) is on partial shots and chip shots around the green. On short sided or downhill shots the lack of performance really showed. I found myself having to hit to the fat part of the green all day fearing that I would short side myself, which hurt my score. Even long chips from around the green, say 20 to 30 yards with the 58* wedge refused to check up and almost always rolled out. Performance with the putter was good.

If the E6 is a 10 then this ball is a 6. Maybe I expected too much but with the way the E6 and TP black perform, for basically the same money, I won't spend any coin on this ball in the future. I can only imagine what would happen if the greens were hard and rolling at a 12!

Edited by Hehateme, 11 February 2012 - 11:02 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 haydos

haydos

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100389
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

So these don't seem to be a rebadged burner TP ldp??

I found that ball fairly good around the greens and was wondering how the RBZ compared.

Thx for review.

#3 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:14.8
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Anyone know the compression rating of this ball?
I'm a slower swinger (85 mph with driver) and wondered if I should take my valentines day gift back for a different ball.
Ping G30 SF Tec 10* Tour 65
Ping G30 3w
Exotics Trilogy 20*/26* hybrids
Ping K15 5i-SW
Ping G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

#4 diabolo

diabolo

Pilam oculis capta

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99939
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

A friend gave me a sleeve of these today and I have to say that my experience was similar to yours. Decent ball but there are better at its price range.
TM R1 v2, Motore Speeder VC 6.2 S
TEE CB3 3/15, UST TourSPX VTS Silver 6S
Bridgy J40 3H, UST TourSPX VTS 75HS
Bridgy J40 CB 4-PW, Recoil Proto 110 F4
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6
Scor 50/54/58, DG Spinner

#5 Hehateme

Hehateme

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

haydos- I never played the burner ball so I can't comment on that.

erock9174- Take them back unless you are a higher handicap that just plays pretty much anything. The Bridgestone RX series, I think, is for swing speeds at 85 mph. I played them and like them. They were great for my irons but they were a little to soft for my driver.

If I could summize, the RBZ is a good distance ball.

Thanks for the replies

Edited by Hehateme, 13 February 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#6 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13233
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

OP: I played the Burner TP LDP last season and your RBZ experience sounds similar. Great ball,  but lacking the greenside control of a urethane ball. Insanely straight on tee and iron shots - erock might need that over greenside control.

#7 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Yeah to be honest guys, with my slower swing I'll usually take anything long and straight off the tee.  I have played ProV's and Tour I(s) from time to time and to be honest don't really see anything different than my normal Noodle Easy Distance or Q Stars around the greens or on approaches.  I always chalked that up to me not having a high enough swing speed to compress the ball.  Although Titleist's site pretty much says compression doesn't really mean anything and that even the slowest swings compress a ball just as much as faster swings.  

The only ball I ever really saw a difference in approach spin was the e6.  Everybody raves about them on the forums but they would hit and just skip off greens for me.  
I am not saying I can juice the ball back but normally when I strike an iron decent I can make it stop somewhat.  

I was thinking about maybe taking them back and trying the new NXT Tour S or the DT Solo.
Ping G30 3w
Ping K15 5i-SW
Ping G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

#8 Flyersby99

Flyersby99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60877
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

How would you compare the old Burner TP LDP to these?  I know they are not urethane but the Burner TP for me was a great all around ball.  Seems that the new RBZ though do not spin as much around the greens as the old Burner TP's?  Can you comment on this?

#9 golfiest

golfiest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 155933
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

I second you on the e6 I played it for 3 years on and of but this ball just sucks, it never hold a green.
I stopped playing them last season and now I am looking for a similar straight ball but with better stopping characteristics around greens.

By the way this rocketballz review is exactly what a TM said about the ball, good from tee to green but around greens or inside 100 it falls apart.

erock9174, on 13 February 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

Yeah to be honest guys, with my slower swing I'll usually take anything long and straight off the tee.  I have played ProV's and Tour I(s) from time to time and to be honest don't really see anything different than my normal Noodle Easy Distance or Q Stars around the greens or on approaches.  I always chalked that up to me not having a high enough swing speed to compress the ball.  Although Titleist's site pretty much says compression doesn't really mean anything and that even the slowest swings compress a ball just as much as faster swings.  

The only ball I ever really saw a difference in approach spin was the e6.  Everybody raves about them on the forums but they would hit and just skip off greens for me.  
I am not saying I can juice the ball back but normally when I strike an iron decent I can make it stop somewhat.  

I was thinking about maybe taking them back and trying the new NXT Tour S or the DT Solo.

#10 Hehateme

Hehateme

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

Flyersby99, on 14 February 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

How would you compare the old Burner TP LDP to these?  I know they are not urethane but the Burner TP for me was a great all around ball.  Seems that the new RBZ though do not spin as much around the greens as the old Burner TP's?  Can you comment on this?

I never played that ball so I can't comment on it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Decided to take the RBZ's back for some DT Solo's.

Think for my swing speed it was the right move.  Too bad its Feb and I cant play.  lol
Ping G30 3w
Ping K15 5i-SW
Ping G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

#12 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 464

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

So I just bought these because I figure it's 45* here in Columbus, my game is anything but finely tuned right now so I wanted to try something new that may perform better in cold than a ProvX.  I was totally shocked by these balls.

I really liked then.  Liked them enough that I'm give them a run in better weather to maybe play them more regularly.  Off the driver these things are great.  Long, straight, etc.  Off the mid to long irons I had no issue with them.  Hit a 5 iron on a par 3 from about 195 and it one hop stopped about 3 feet from the pin (missed the putt... FAIL)... That's when I was really jaw dropped by these balls.  Frozen greens, cold, heavy air, and a 5 iron still stops about 3 feet from its mark.

Wedge play was not quite as good as a pro v, but still not bad.  Better than the old NXT (haven't played the new ones).  I did have some one hop check shots from the fairway with chips/pitches.  The ball seemed to roll out a little more than normal.

Overall I was impressed with the ball.  Will definetly give them a go again
XHot 10.5 Diamana S+ 62x5ct X Stiff
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400
Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48*
Titleist Vokey SM 54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - CS

#13 BirdieRoll

BirdieRoll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148279
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Can anyone comment re the softness off the putter and/or compression figure? I'm gaming the Diablo Tour now, but the lack of feel off the flatstick has me looking at other options.

I prefer a soft feel like an AD333 off the putter but I have no stopping power with it so I'm looking at 3 piece balls.

Thanks.

#14 ladahl

ladahl

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119561
  • Handicap:8.1
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I have playing these in cold weather... Really liking it for this time of year...  Took about a round to figure out how it rools out, etc..
BB 10.5* Kiyoshi Gold 65 04
Callaway Big Bertha 16* Kiyoshi Gold
Callaway XHP2 20* & 23* F3 95S
Callaway Apex 5-A TT DG TI X100 SS
Odyssey Japan White Damascus Xi #9
MD2 54 T/S & 58 T/S/U/C MD2 TI S400
WITB Link

#15 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1378

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

I just bought my second dozen of the RBZ balls this weekend (after losing three of them in water hazards on Saturday, yikes!). The ball I've most recently played for an extended period of time was the HX Diablo Tour back during last winter and into this spring. Over the summer I switched around various balls (Wilson Duo, Titleist NXT S, Titleist DT Solo, Taylormade TP5 tour ball) and now I'm ready to settle down and play the same ball for a few months. But I decided to give the Rocketballz a try because I found a dozen on sale for $22.99 at Target (how's that for a reason).

I think the HX Diablo Tour rolls a bit better off the putter and also flies a bit higher tee to green. But it also get beat to heck in no time at all with Callaway MD grooves and the occasional tree and cartpath. Hex dimples just can't stand much abuse IMO. In every way except (maybe) putting and having lower flight the RBZ seems very, very similar to the HX Diablo Tour. Same distance, same spin on full shots, same spin on shorter shots. And they typically cost the same.

So I'm sticking with the Rocketballz for this winter and spring. I played 18 holes with one RBZ ball yesterday and if I look really close I can make out one sort of flattened dimple edge. But it's ready for another round, no problem. And that's playing brand new X-Forged irons and MD groove wedges, all on about their fifth round of play. Those clubs would destroy an HX Diablo Tour in 18 holes for sure.

Plus I really like the cool green double-digit numbers. Easy to spot my ball as I walk up to it. And since they don't sell Taylormade balls in my club's proshop I never have to worry about someone else playing a ball with the same green numbers!

#16 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

thanks for the review. ive seen these around the course but never played one. i think ill stay away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors