Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Classic Find -- Wilson Staff Dynapower irons


40 replies to this topic

#1 Asleep

Asleep

  • Marshals
  • 8,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397
  • Joined: 04/28/2005
  • Location:Lone Star State

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

Snapped some pics of these Dynapower irons at a local golf shop/reseller.

Love the detailing on older irons.

Attached File  DSC00252.JPG   153.08K   78 downloads
Attached File  DSC00255.JPG   59.19K   48 downloads
Attached File  DSC00256.JPG   45.42K   37 downloads
Attached File  DSC00258.JPG   43.8K   30 downloads
Attached File  DSC00259.JPG   54.26K   41 downloads
Attached File  DSC00260.JPG   96.53K   49 downloads

Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

    Major Winner

  • BST Volunteer Mods
  • 4,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
  • Joined: 10/09/2007
  • Location:Colorado Springs, CO
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Frickin' awesome - what'd they want for 'em?

Edited by Buzzkill, 10 February 2012 - 09:23 PM.

Titleist 7.5 driver
Adams 16 & 20 hybrids
Vega 4 thru PW w/RC 56 wedge
Scotty Newport
Swift X bag
Ping 8 iron - desert club
WITB Link

#3 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

    Major Winner

  • BST Volunteer Mods
  • 4,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
  • Joined: 10/09/2007
  • Location:Colorado Springs, CO
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Never mind about the price - noticed they're $225 in the pic which is pretty good.

Edited by Buzzkill, 10 February 2012 - 09:25 PM.

Titleist 7.5 driver
Adams 16 & 20 hybrids
Vega 4 thru PW w/RC 56 wedge
Scotty Newport
Swift X bag
Ping 8 iron - desert club
WITB Link

#4 freddiec

freddiec

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2258
  • Joined: 07/07/2005
  • Location:North Shore, Massachusetts, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Sweet set. Those are the "buttonback" model.

#5 bigeasybri

bigeasybri

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123267
  • Joined: 03/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Those aren't actually 40 year old clubs.  They're the re-makes of the classics that Wilson made in the early 90s.  One foolproof way to distinguish between vintage Wilson gear and remade stuff is by looking at the "Wilson" script.  If the "s" and the "o" are connected, it's vintage.  If the "s" and the "o" are not connected, it's a remake.  

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the remade stuff, it's first rate.  I game a remake 8813 putter and some of the remade 50s staff wedges.  I'd happily put this set in my bag.


#6 rex235

rex235

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Joined: 10/01/2009
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

+1

These are the early 1990s remakes of the 1970 Wilson Staff "Buttonback" Dynapower irons...

The W/S SAND WEDGE from this model year is missing a "Dynapower" stamp.. the only club without it.. in the entire W/S Dynapower series from 1957 to 1975.  

The "Fluid Feel" stamps on the sole of the irons were red in the originals, and black in the remakes.

Still consider this model as one of the best iron sets ever made....the design, number stamps, gold ribbon knurling, and  the W/S button...

....even though the remakes were RH only.....

#7 super20dan

super20dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:orange park florida
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

the 65 model is the best looking of all the staffs-makes the buttonback look plain
73 hogan apex

#8 rex235

rex235

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Joined: 10/01/2009
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

..and I wrote "one of the best"....

..All the '65 W/S Dynapower irons, including the Sand Wedge, have the "Dynapower' stamp.

but the 'Dynapower" stamp is missing from the '70 Wilson Staff "Buttonback" model.

that might be why the SW looks so "plain" ..

Attached File  100_9259.JPG   72.64K   23 downloads

#9 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
  • Joined: 04/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

That is a gorgeous set of clubs.
I'd love to pound those until something bled...
Ping g20
Titleist 910fd
Titleist 909h
Srixon ztx
Mizuno R blk ni
Odyssey xg6

#10 rex235

rex235

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Joined: 10/01/2009
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Jack-

+1....


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 Asleep

Asleep

  • Marshals
  • 8,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397
  • Joined: 04/28/2005
  • Location:Lone Star State

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

View Postbigeasybri, on 11 February 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Those aren't actually 40 year old clubs.  They're the re-makes of the classics that Wilson made in the early 90s.  One foolproof way to distinguish between vintage Wilson gear and remade stuff is by looking at the "Wilson" script.  If the "s" and the "o" are connected, it's vintage.  If the "s" and the "o" are not connected, it's a remake.  

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the remade stuff, it's first rate.  I game a remake 8813 putter and some of the remade 50s staff wedges.  I'd happily put this set in my bag.
Now see, this is why WRX works. Thanks for the education!
Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

#12 LinksterBob

LinksterBob

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177376
  • Joined: 04/25/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

I had a set of those remakes 1-SW, leather grips, awesome clubs, Ah to be young again.

#13 Arnsybill

Arnsybill

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66614
  • Joined: 09/28/2008
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

This is an informative post... I didn't know they re-issued these post 1971... I bought a left handed set from eBay... $25... 3-iron was missing... and was worried they were not the 1971 vintage... turns out they are the old ones...

Cheers,

#14 BrianL99

BrianL99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Joined: 01/20/2012
  • Location:Boston & Tampa
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1063

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the '91/'92 re-make was done for the Edwin Watts chain.  I believe he also had another set of classic WIlson's re-made, but I can't remember which they were.

#15 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

    The answer to life, the universe, and everything, is 42

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Joined: 01/12/2009
  • Location:Minnesota, USA
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 1020

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

View PostBrianL99, on 16 February 2014 - 06:18 PM, said:

If I'm not mistaken, the '91/'92 re-make was done for the Edwin Watts chain.  I believe he also had another set of classic WIlson's re-made, but I can't remember which they were.

My Maltby guide says it was the 69 Staffs

Tour Edge XCG7 Beta, VS Proto 70 X
3w TM Stage 2 Tour 14.5 RUL80 X
1 iron Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
3-PW Golden Ram TW276, Precision 6.5
Scratch 53/58, Dynamic Gold
Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1

#16 Shallowface

Shallowface

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
  • Joined: 07/18/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

The 69 and 71 remakes were in the Wilson catalog for several years in the 1990s, so I have to believe they were available through dealers other than Edwin Watts.

Watts did have a remake of the 1965 Staff in the mid 1980s that was exclusive to them.  They also had a remake set of Top Flite Bird on Ball irons available around that same time.

Edited by Shallowface, 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM.


#17 BrianL99

BrianL99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Joined: 01/20/2012
  • Location:Boston & Tampa
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1063

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

View PostShallowface, on 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

The 69 and 71 remakes were in the Wilson catalog for several years in the 1990s, so I have to believe they were available through dealers other than Edwin Watts.

Watts did have a remake of the 1965 Staff in the mid 1980s that was exclusive to them.  They also had a remake set of Top Flite Bird on Ball irons available around that same time.

As one gets older, the years seem to morph together.  You're probably right.

#18 rgk5

rgk5

    rgk5

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Hamilton, Ontario. Edmond, Oklahoma
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 351

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 16 February 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

View PostBrianL99, on 16 February 2014 - 06:18 PM, said:

If I'm not mistaken, the '91/'92 re-make was done for the Edwin Watts chain.  I believe he also had another set of classic WIlson's re-made, but I can't remember which they were.

My Maltby guide says it was the 69 Staffs

Maltby is incorrect.  The 1969 Staffs were quite different and included a choice of steel or aluminum shafts. The ones originally pictured are from 1971-72.

Edited by rgk5, 17 February 2014 - 06:07 PM.

Cobra Bio Cell Masters Edition ATX 65 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 4-wood, Aldila ATX75
R. Fowler Proto 56*, Eye 2+ LW, 61*
Trusty Rusty 50*, Wilson Staff 8802
Cobra S2 forged 5-pw, Nippon 1130 S
X2Hot 19*, ATX 65 S, A7 22* V2 S

#19 super20dan

super20dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:orange park florida
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

i swear there was a 65 reissue also
73 hogan apex

#20 Shallowface

Shallowface

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
  • Joined: 07/18/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostBrianL99, on 17 February 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

View PostShallowface, on 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

The 69 and 71 remakes were in the Wilson catalog for several years in the 1990s, so I have to believe they were available through dealers other than Edwin Watts.

Watts did have a remake of the 1965 Staff in the mid 1980s that was exclusive to them.  They also had a remake set of Top Flite Bird on Ball irons available around that same time.

As one gets older, the years seem to morph together.  You're probably right.

I have the catalogs, and I bought a set of those 1965 Staffs (don't have them anymore).


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#21 Shallowface

Shallowface

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
  • Joined: 07/18/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

View Postsuper20dan, on 17 February 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

i swear there was a 65 reissue also

Yep, around 1984.  I bought a set of them which I no longer have.

#22 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

    The answer to life, the universe, and everything, is 42

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Joined: 01/12/2009
  • Location:Minnesota, USA
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 1020

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

View Postrgk5, on 17 February 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

View PostNRJyzr, on 16 February 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

View PostBrianL99, on 16 February 2014 - 06:18 PM, said:

If I'm not mistaken, the '91/'92 re-make was done for the Edwin Watts chain.  I believe he also had another set of classic WIlson's re-made, but I can't remember which they were.

My Maltby guide says it was the 69 Staffs

Maltby is incorrect.  The 1969 Staffs were quite different and included a choice of steel or aluminum shafts. The ones originally pictured are from 1971-72.

I wasn't saying the set pictured were the 69 Staffs, I was saying the *other reissued set* referenced by Brian in his post were 69 Staffs.

Edited by NRJyzr, 17 February 2014 - 08:11 PM.

Tour Edge XCG7 Beta, VS Proto 70 X
3w TM Stage 2 Tour 14.5 RUL80 X
1 iron Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
3-PW Golden Ram TW276, Precision 6.5
Scratch 53/58, Dynamic Gold
Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1

#23 super20dan

super20dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:orange park florida
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

thanks for confemering that. i saw a set at a nevada bobs around that time. special oak rack and all. price was some where around 1000$ i think. i wanted them soo badly. tru the magic of ebay i have an original 65 set no 1-sw! they were to be my vintage playing set ....... then i discovered hogans lol
73 hogan apex

#24 BrianL99

BrianL99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Joined: 01/20/2012
  • Location:Boston & Tampa
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1063

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

View Postsuper20dan, on 17 February 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

thanks for confemering that. i saw a set at a nevada bobs around that time. special oak rack and all. price was some where around 1000$ i think. i wanted them soo badly. tru the magic of ebay i have an original 65 set no 1-sw! they were to be my vintage playing set ....... then i discovered hogans lol

Like these?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a8b7a33c6

#25 super20dan

super20dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:orange park florida
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

nope -those arnt 1965 models. the 65 is the best looking staff of the dyna fluid feel era. of course your mileage may varyPosted Image

73 hogan apex

#26 Shallowface

Shallowface

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
  • Joined: 07/18/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

One thing about the 91 remakes that I seem to recall (foggy pre-coffee memory) is that the remake part was largely cosmetic in nature.  They had the stampings, and the 69 remakes had the bullet groove, but the sole width was narrower than the originals, more like the FG51 which was the standard offering at that time.

Wilson did a remake of the 71 around 1984 that I believe was a bit more faithful when it came to sole width.  The Dynapower irons that were available from 1967-1975 had wider soles than most blades of that era.

Edited by Shallowface, 18 February 2014 - 06:27 AM.


#27 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1226

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

View PostAsleep, on 16 February 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

View Postbigeasybri, on 11 February 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Those aren't actually 40 year old clubs.  They're the re-makes of the classics that Wilson made in the early 90s.  One foolproof way to distinguish between vintage Wilson gear and remade stuff is by looking at the "Wilson" script.  If the "s" and the "o" are connected, it's vintage.  If the "s" and the "o" are not connected, it's a remake.  

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the remade stuff, it's first rate.  I game a remake 8813 putter and some of the remade 50s staff wedges.  I'd happily put this set in my bag.
Now see, this is why WRX works. Thanks for the education!
Absolutely I got my education on this also. Thanks too!!
Penna Mod 59 HM-55 stiff
4W H&B S-300
1 Iron 985 TA X-100 rebar stiff
3-9 Mac FC4000 M2 Propel 2
948 Silver Scott 55* pw murifield 20th
putter Mac JN-271

#28 super20dan

super20dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:orange park florida
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

got a full set of 65 staffs at flea market for 14$ today. now i can extend one set to my length and leave the other set stock
73 hogan apex

#29 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
  • Joined: 04/18/2011
  • Location:James Island SC
GolfWRX Likes : 957

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Pics please SD

#30 super20dan

super20dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:orange park florida
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

they need cleaning and polishing real bad -pics to come . i posted a 65 pic a few posts above for those who dont know whats diff that year from other fluid feel era staffs Posted Image

73 hogan apex

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.







0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors