Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How are PGA tourney pairings done?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 highdraw69

highdraw69

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22243
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

Kind of a 2-part question for the experts out there: how are the PGA tour pairings put together for each tournament? I've seen that the European tour recently clearly creates buzz by putting marque players togethers (i.e. Tiger, Donald and Rory). I thought that the PGA had a somewhat random selection process where players were in groups (like winners/non-winners/rookies) then randomly selected. However, for this week I see that Tiger is with his buddy Arjun Atwal, which doesn't seem that random (although Philly Mick is with Kevin Na -- and it's hard to see Phil requesting that pairing). So, do players get to pick their professional playing partners this week ahead of the cut, or is the Pebble pairing process random for everyone?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Sing Golfer

Sing Golfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126977
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

I am not sure if it still works the same way, but in the book "Bud, sweat and tees" it goes through the changes in pairings Rich Beem had once he won, and then once he won a major.

It was something like:

A - major winners and marque names
B - tour winners
C - everyone else

Of course, there must be plenty of discretion but I think that was the basic template.

The USGA doest he US Open and they have some interesting ones. There was a "***** pairing" one year. I can't remember who was in it though (Scott Hoch most likely).

#3 highdraw69

highdraw69

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22243
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostSing Golfer, on 10 February 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

I am not sure if it still works the same way, but in the book "Bud, sweat and tees" it goes through the changes in pairings Rich Beem had once he won, and then once he won a major.

It was something like:

A - major winners and marque names
B - tour winners
C - everyone else

Of course, there must be plenty of discretion but I think that was the basic template.

The USGA doest he US Open and they have some interesting ones. There was a "***** pairing" one year. I can't remember who was in it though (Scott Hoch most likely).

yeah, i was thinking they had these type of categories they used, but for Tiger to get paired with Atwal this week (and to have Notah in the group behind him) just seems to be no chance for that to be random -- which made me wonder if the pairings are put together differently for this event because of the size of the field and the pro-am format? or maybe Tiger hasn't played there in 10 years and said "i'll come back if i get to pick my professional playing partner" and they said ok?

Edited by highdraw69, 10 February 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#4 wendlan9

wendlan9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108051
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm sure they catered to Tiger with his pro and am partner. He got paired with Romo one of the best am players in the field so that he wasn't slowed down in his rounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors