Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 1 votes

Ernest Sports - ES-12 - "Launch Monitor" - Overview

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SteveDave

SteveDave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78826
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

I recently received a ES12 from Ernest Sports and wanted to give those who are not familiar with it a quick overview.  It works very well into a net (I haven't tried it at a range yet) .. take a look at the video...  I still want a FlightScope X2 but for my basement and $ this little device is pretty good to practice consistency and to get an idea of distance.  That Swingbyte looks cool too..  I wonder if combining the data from both may yield cool reference points.

Video-

here is their website
  //www.ernestsports.com

and Facebook
  www.facebook.com/Ernestsports

Edited by MrParr1Noid, 18 October 2012 - 09:29 PM.
Hot links directing traffic away GolfWR are not allowed.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 fsusp

fsusp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95166
  • Handicap:0.7
  • Ebay ID:fsusp
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

That looks cool.  I would love to hear a review down the line...  Good luck.
TM SLDR 430 w/Fubuki alpha 60 stiff
TM SLDR 3 w/Fubuki 70 and 5 w/Kaili 80
TM 4i Speedblade w/Program 95 stiff.
AP2s. 4-GW w/Steelfiber i110 stiff.
Titleist SM5 57*
Edel or Dave Curry Big Oak Havana

#3 hwnstyle21

hwnstyle21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62273
  • Ebay ID:hwnstyle21

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Good vid to showcase the functionality. Seems like a good tool to help dial in your club distance.

#4 rdmcdaid

rdmcdaid

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92647
  • Handicap:5.1
  • Ebay ID:canuckgolfnutrobert
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Looks like a good product, I emailed asking for availability at the beginning of the year before they were for sale on their website. Unfortunately, I am in Canada and they are not shipping/selling north of the boarder at this time.... Maybe they need a distributor up here? lol

Edited by rdmcdaid, 07 February 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Ping G30 9.0 Tour 80X
Ping G30 14.5 Tour 80X
Ping G30 18.5 Motore Speeder VC8.0S
Ping S55 4-PW DGTI S400
SM5 50F,56M,63T Black S400
SC Golo 3

#5 goplutus

goplutus

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85097
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Does this essentially just track ball speed and use assumed loft characteristics of the club to determine distance?  For example, if you put in PW, would it give you the same distance for any ball hit a 100 MPH regardless if the PW was 45 or 47*?

#6 SteveDave

SteveDave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

View Postgoplutus, on 07 February 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Does this essentially just track ball speed and use assumed loft characteristics of the club to determine distance?  For example, if you put in PW, would it give you the same distance for any ball hit a 100 MPH regardless if the PW was 45 or 47*?

That is my understanding.

#7 HisAirness

HisAirness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41091
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostSteveDave, on 07 February 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

View Postgoplutus, on 07 February 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

That is my understanding.
Well, then it is only another swing or ball speed measuring device.

#8 hckymeyer

hckymeyer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127753
  • Ebay ID:hckymeyer
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Does this take in to account ball spin?  Just curious because I'm a slicer.  If I hit a drive with a 20 or 30 yd slice is it giving me distance based my ball speed with a straight flight or can it take into account side spin?

#9 TCMP

TCMP

Disguised

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34660

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

How is your distance properly calculated without spin? For instance. I can hit a big pull-cut with a high ball speed and see it drop out of the air on the range due to excessive spin. If I hit this same pull-cut on this device would it say I hit it further because of the increase in ball speed?

#10 SteveDave

SteveDave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

No spin is calculated.  I would imagine that a big hook or slice wouldn't yield accurate numbers.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 TCMP

TCMP

Disguised

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostSteveDave, on 22 February 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

No spin is calculated.  I would imagine that a big hook or slice wouldn't yield accurate numbers.

So if I hit it dead straight with optimum trajectory (or the units calibrated trajectory window) then I should see accurate numbers? There is a huge carry and carry+ roll descrepency between a low ball hitter with a certain ball speed and a high ball hitter with the exact same ball speed.

#12 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 945

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostTCMP, on 23 February 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

So if I hit it dead straight with optimum trajectory (or the units calibrated trajectory window) then I should see accurate numbers? There is a huge carry and carry+ roll descrepency between a low ball hitter with a certain ball speed and a high ball hitter with the exact same ball speed.

that's the biggest issue I see with this.  If you swing 107 with a ball speed of 162 under perfect launch conditions (ie 14* and 2300 spin) you can easily be carrying it farther that a low launch guy with low spin or a high launch guy with high spin .. ... even if they have higher ball speeds than you
Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Rapture V2 4w 17*, 660TR Kamo X
Ping G25h 20* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping s55 5-PW. Aldila Tour Proto 125 X
TVD M sm2 53* & 59*,  64.07 sm2
WITB Link

#13 fonetic

fonetic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99223
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Sounds tempting.  Especially at the price point.  You can find anything in that range that does what this does.

The lack of consideration of spin is concerning since it would be impt when hitting shots into a net to understand how the ball is reacting.

But, if you're on the range and can see your ball, it's a nice thought to have "someone" tell you how far you just hit that last straight shot.

Just out of curiousity, is the machine just taking into account your swing speed and iron and then giving you a distance off of that?

#14 TCMP

TCMP

Disguised

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

View Postfonetic, on 14 March 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Sounds tempting.  Especially at the price point.  You can find anything in that range that does what this does.

The lack of consideration of spin is concerning since it would be impt when hitting shots into a net to understand how the ball is reacting.

But, if you're on the range and can see your ball, it's a nice thought to have "someone" tell you how far you just hit that last straight shot.

Just out of curiousity, is the machine just taking into account your swing speed and iron and then giving you a distance off of that?

All this thing is doing is measuring the ball speed. It is using all calculations for the rest (distance etc.)

It doesn't measure launch angle, spin, or any impact or downrange data. Its a ballspeed monitor that uses a predetermined window for trajectory to calculate distance. There are lots of cheaper devices that do the same thing. (without the ipod, droid interface etc.)

#15 erwintrace08

erwintrace08

Consistently Inconsistent

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71398
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

The same company has another product with Ball Spin, but $6495!  I was at the range yesterday, and someone had it!  Crazy.

http://www.sportsent...ight/index.html

Titleist 913 D3 RIP & 3W Phenom
Titleist 914 AP2s PW-4 DG300
Titleist Vokeys 52* 56* 60*
Titleist SC SS Newport

#16 Poser

Poser

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144057
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

View Posterwintrace08, on 31 March 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

The same company has another product with Ball Spin, but $6495!  I was at the range yesterday, and someone had it!  Crazy.

Not the same company but, yea the GC2 is really nice and about the best you can get for the price.  Buddy of mine has it for his golf simulator and its awesome.

#17 dwboston

dwboston

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51575
  • Ebay ID:dwboston1
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

View Posterwintrace08, on 31 March 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

That's the launch monitor Titleist uses at their demo days.  It's pretty accurate.
Titleist 910 D2 12*, GD AD DI 70S
Titleist 910F 17*, GD AD DI 80S
Titleist 910H 21*, Aldila DVS 90S
712 AP2, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4
SM4 52, TVD-K 56,60 Recoil Proto 125 F4
MannMade Custom TEN12, 34"

#18 zzlangb

zzlangb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144881
  • Ebay ID:solo_breakaway
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

I recently purchased this product and I have been very happy with it.  I've compared the accuracy against my laser rangefinder as well as my gps and had good results, typically only a couple of yards variance with all clubs down to the wedges.  I'm not sure if my placement is correct for the wedges with the launch angle etc.  I really like the interface with the iPhone and think that is what really seperates this product from other similar items out there.

#19 golferlaird

golferlaird

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64154
  • Ebay ID:golferlaird
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

There are two discount codes for it... $12 OFF

ES12  or  MYTPI

#20 hotcello

hotcello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108364
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

I have one of these as well but strangely it does not work well for me.
I usually hit my 8 iron about 150 to 158 yards and I have used this device on the range several time including today and the maximum distance I can get out of this is about 135. I have sent this back to them to test out but they said it was perfectly fine and sent me back a new one anyway.
Just today I was practicing at the range and I use my bushnell to zap the 150 sign to make sure it is 150 and I hit a 8 iron landed pass the sign but the machine read 137.
I have try putting the ball in different positions but it all comes out lot less than actual distance.
It's perfect to practice with thinking you are hitting shorter than you really are, it will make you feel better on course...... I guess!
BTW, I have a Zelocity as well although the ball speed is the same the distance calculation is way off. Zelocity is much more accurate.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

Never settle!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

View Posthotcello, on 27 November 2012 - 01:48 AM, said:

I have one of these as well but strangely it does not work well for me.
I usually hit my 8 iron about 150 to 158 yards and I have used this device on the range several time including today and the maximum distance I can get out of this is about 135. I have sent this back to them to test out but they said it was perfectly fine and sent me back a new one anyway.
Just today I was practicing at the range and I use my bushnell to zap the 150 sign to make sure it is 150 and I hit a 8 iron landed pass the sign but the machine read 137.
I have try putting the ball in different positions but it all comes out lot less than actual distance.
It's perfect to practice with thinking you are hitting shorter than you really are, it will make you feel better on course...... I guess!
BTW, I have a Zelocity as well although the ball speed is the same the distance calculation is way off. Zelocity is much more accurate.
Hey,
What model is your Zelocity?

#22 slowswing

slowswing

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131714
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

Not all irons have the same loft. A burner 2.0 iron vs a mp 52 would be + - 4 degrees per club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors