Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Tips for hitting the 3 wood off of the deck

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FlyFish

FlyFish

FlyFish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19815
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:23 AM

Does anyone have any drills or tips for hitting the 3 wood off of the deck?

I just got back from another range session where I was hitting low pull fades with my 3 wood off of the deck.  Off of the tee I hit it straight or even draw it.  In fact, I draw every single other club in my bag.  

Why do I fade the 3 wood?   ;)   I know it's not the stick because I've tried several.  Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

1. Where do you position the ball in your stance?  Is it the same for off the tee?

2. A pull fade, assuming you are aligned correctly, indicates a slight outside-in path with the face open to the swing path.

3. How well do you hit your 4 iron off the deck?

Just some questions to think about...

Experiment...

#3 tmac7592

tmac7592

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20827
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

i used to do the same because i was trying to kil it and i rushed my swing causing my hips to get fast and in turn pull my arms over the top.  or  you migh be trying to come in too shallow and not allow your hands to turn over.  just relax the swing a little and take your time

#4 FlyFish

FlyFish

FlyFish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.  I hit the 3 wood fine off of the tee.  I hit it like a driver.

I'm not sure what the proper adjustments that have to be made to hit it off of the deck.  I hit my 19* hybrid fine off of the deck because I play it like an iron.

I do position the ball about an inch further back when on the deck (versus the tee) to compensate for the lack of tee height.

How much do you hit down on it?  With irons, I'm always trying to leave a divot after the ball.  This type of swing doesn't seem to work with the 3 wood off of the deck.

Where should I be aiming for on the ball?  Should I be using  a sweeping or descending blow on the ball?  Thanks.

#5 tmac7592

tmac7592

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:57 PM

first off, don;t hit down because you loose distance like that and its not consistent.  try to sweep it but swing through the ball.  let the club swing through and take the club back on the ground to promote the shallower path to the ball. make sure you dont start push/ slicing your woods off the deck from not letting your hands turn over.

and your right about your hybrid, it can be hit like an iron and i myself was contenplating going to all hybrids until i read tigers book and some stuff from david leadbetter. stick with it, in the end it will all work out.  if you have any more questions just ask

#6 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:54 PM

You mention you hit your 19* hybrid well off the deck...

I generally encourage my students to error on the side of striking it like an iron...

The ball sits on the ground just like it does with your iron, correct?

#7 FlyFish

FlyFish

FlyFish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:24 AM

View Posttmac7592, on Nov 18 2006, 06:11 PM, said:

trying to come in too shallow and not allow your hands to turn over.

I concentrated on allowing my right hand to roll over my left naturally through impact today on the range.  That straightened it out.  For some reason I was trying to hit it differently off of the deck than my regular swing and it was messing me up.  

Thanks to both you guys!

#8 bigpopper81

bigpopper81

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20237
  • Ebay ID:atcgrrb8
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:27 AM

With the woods and driver it's all about ball position, for me at least.  If I am having issues with these clubs it's because I am playing the ball too close to the middle of my stance.  My misses are similar to yours so maybe the fix might be the same as well.

#9 tmac7592

tmac7592

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:37 AM

your welcome and many people tend to change their swing with the fairways an try to kill it good luck

#10 Confiado

Confiado

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24724
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

what do you mean error on the side of the ball????

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 jdhallissey

jdhallissey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24316
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:13 AM

Keep your head down and don't top it! HEH

What I always do when I hit a 3 wood is view it like a wedge. I just try and keep behind it. I have never run into an issue with them. Maybe stop thinking about it on the range and  hit 15-20 balls without looking where they are going. Then after those balls are done take a nice easy swing at it and watch it fly.

Edited by jdhallissey, 30 January 2007 - 03:30 AM.

#12 TheBUNKY

TheBUNKY

twitter.com/TheBUNKY_1974

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6473
  • Ebay ID:Lancer74
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

What has helped me is just getting back to hitting hybrids again. There was a time last Summer where I pulled all of the hybrids out of the bag because I couldn't hit them very well. Then later on in the Summer I put them back in and also logged some long range time. During that range time I focused on hitting down on the ball with them. Almost like what you would see Natalie Gulbis do. It feels like I doing a lunge down at the ball.

After I started doing this with my hybrids and having some success, I then took the same swing to my 3 woods. Presto, it's worked so far. I am getting either a straight ball flight when I am on tempo, or the occasional hook when I really try to jump on it.

For me, it's about tempo and hitting down on the ball. For years I tried to pick the ball off of the deck with my woods. Now that I am hitting down, the ball flight I am getting is what I want.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors