Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cleveland Classics Persimmon

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52746
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

I apologize of this is the wrong forum.

I was wondering if there was some sort of document which listed the various Cleveland Classics Persimmon models offered during their production years.  I highly doubt if there is anything as well done as the MacGregor Catalog but something along those lines.  I own a few of the persimmon drivers and three woods but from time to time a model will popup on Ebay that I never knew existed.  I'm interested primarily in what set the models apart from each other.  For example, I've read the RC 85 was Roger Cleveland's take on the MacGregor M85.  

Thank you in advance.

Matt

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Maxwell

Maxwell

Max

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99037
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

BR - There is a club identification book out there from Golfworks. I have a copy and it has been fairly accurate and helpful. Hope this helps - Max

#3 freddiec

freddiec

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2258
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think the 4 popular models in the 80s were..

RC85,  Mahogany stained with white /black/white insert. Copy of MacGregor M85
RC75,  Similar to RC85, but had white/red/white insert, similar to Mac M75W Eye O Matic set, slighly smaller head than RC85
TC15, copy of the Armour Mac SS1W set that had the firing pin insert
RC69  Copy of the Mac 693, had a red solid insert.

There were a few other models, which were not as popular.

#4 BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52746
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Excellent!  Thank you gentlemen.

BTW - Great video!  I just love persimmon and balata.

View Postfreddiec, on 03 February 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

I think the 4 popular models in the 80s were..

RC85,  Mahogany stained with white /black/white insert. Copy of MacGregor M85
RC75,  Similar to RC85, but had white/red/white insert, similar to Mac M75W Eye O Matic set, slighly smaller head than RC85
TC15, copy of the Armour Mac SS1W set that had the firing pin insert
RC69  Copy of the Mac 693, had a red solid insert.

There were a few other models, which were not as popular.

#5 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:13.0
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

OP - good topic.

Thanks to Max and Fred for the reponses, as I had been wondering the same thing myself. I have emailed Golfworks to see if they will ship a copy of that book to the UK for me.

Visually I think I prefer the RC-85 to the others ... I would like to add one of these (and matching fairway woods) to my collection at some point!

'Tis the hickory season ...
Geo Duncan Driver, Brassie
W.Jeffery Bulldog; Tom Stewart irons:
Driving Mashie, Mashie Iron, Jigger
Mashie, Lofter, Spade Mashie, M.Niblick
Niblick, Nicoll Howitzer, Eskit putter

#6 stixman

stixman

Hickory Golf in the Now!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Handicap:10.6
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

Really helpful post by Maxwell re the I.D. guide, thanks. I've got loads of stuff on hickory but nothing on later steel shafted gear. It is on order and I await with bated breath.
Joe Powell Mock Hickory Driver
3 + 5 Mac. Custom Persimmon
Apex II,or 1968 Dynas, or Nicoll Cottons
Wilson PW
1935 Wilson R90, real deal
Chris H

#7 Maxwell

Maxwell

Max

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99037
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

I bet you won't find these Roger Cleveland persimmon woods in any club identification books. I'm fairly certain they were early Clevelands. One is a  RC53 and the other is a RC55. Both are drivers.
Max

#8 bma725

bma725

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 984
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostMaxwell, on 04 February 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

I bet you won't find these Roger Cleveland persimmon woods in any club identification books. I'm fairly certain they were early Clevelands. One is a  RC53 and the other is a RC55. Both are drivers.
Max

The RC-53 isn't particularly early. Cleveland started making their persimmon line in 1981, The RC-53 first came out in 1984.  That particular head, given that it has a bore through, is a 1985 model.  Odd thing is, that sole plate doesn't seem to fit with that head.  Both years they were made(1984 and 1985) they came with sole plates that said "The Cleveland Classic" not just "Cleveland Classic".

#9 bma725

bma725

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Figure I can add some more since I was a fairly big collector of Cleveland persimmon before getting rid of all of them a couple years back....still seem to have the pics from the Ebay auctions on my hard drive though, sorry for the crappy quality.  Most everyone has seen the RC-75, RC-85, and RC-69(3), those were really the most popular models.  But here's a couple of the lesser known heads....

AL-44....pretty cool looking graphite face insert, with the face finished the same color as the head.  This look was also done with a slightly different shape for the "Big AL" model.
PA140040.JPG PA140042.JPG PA140046.JPG

RC-945 Limited Edition....most came with a standard Cleveland Classic Soleplate, this has the rare Cleveland Limited one:
PA140030.JPG PA140032.JPG PA140027.JPG PA140034.JPG

Jumbo...Roger's take on the LFF:
PA140023.JPG PA140025.JPG PA140021.JPG

10th Anniversary Edition:
DSCF0818.JPG DSCF0819.JPG DSCF0817.JPG

#10 freddiec

freddiec

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Here is the only Cleveland persimmon I own. Its a really nice RC85. This has a factory installed Apex 4 shaft. I'm assuming it was factory installed, because the screw is still in place on the back of the neck.   I was always under the impression the models that said "The Cleveland Classic" as opposed to just "C. C" were earlier models. The heads to me always seemed a little bit bigger as well.  BMA, any idea on that?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 bma725

bma725

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

Unfortunately, Cleveland didn't really do a good job of standardizing their naming structure.  At various points in prior years they used Cleveland Classic, Cleveland Classic USA, Cleveland Classics USA, The Cleveland Classic, and The Cleveland Classic USA as their sole stamp.  In some cases they even switched the stamp for a certain line depending upon whether it was a driver or fairway wood, and if you got a custom built one all bets were off...you might even get a Cleveland Limited sole plate on a non-limited edition head just to achieve the right swing weight.  So in theory at least, the heads that are stamped The Cleveland Classic or The Cleveland Classic USA are the earlier productions...but that's not true for every model.  In some cases they were still making heads that said TCC while other models produced in the same year only had the CC.  It wasn't until 1988 when everything became Cleveland Classic USA, and then 1989 when they changed the company name to Cleveland Classics USA that all the clubs produced in a given year had the same stamp.

#12 freddiec

freddiec

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

BMA, thats some interesting information. Thanks for providing that.  Its surprising how a company would not standardize on sole plates.  The RC85 I have is one of the nicest persimmons I've ever hit, its very long and really solid, with the Apex 4 shaft, its got a great feel.

#13 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 417

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

here are few more Cleveland to have a look at, some are new ,never finished heads. A couple I really like are the Crenshaw and Bryron Nelson 68.3. One I could not find I know I have is a black Dunlevy ,made after the former long drive champion

Attached Thumbnails

• cleveland 001.JPG
  • cleveland 002.JPG
  • cleveland 003.JPG
  • cleveland 004.JPG
  • cleveland 005.JPG
  • cleveland 007.JPG
  • cleveland 006.JPG
  • cleveland 009.JPG
  • cleveland 008.JPG
  • cleveland 011.JPG
  • cleveland 012.JPG
  • cleveland 014.JPG
  • cleveland 013.JPG
  • cleveland 015.JPG
  • cleveland 018.JPG
  • cleveland 019.JPG
  • cleveland 020.JPG
  • cleveland 021.JPG

#14 Old Pro

Old Pro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149129
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Teevons,
I think the black model you reference is the Dunaway model. Black head, white six screw insert with firing pin. I have one, and I will try to post a pic ture when I can.
Keitth

#15 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

You Are right, I knew it had Dun in there!!

View PostOld Pro, on 05 February 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

Teevons,
I think the black model you reference is the Dunaway model. Black head, white six screw insert with firing pin. I have one, and I will try to post a pic ture when I can.
Keitth

#16 bma725

bma725

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

View Postfreddiec, on 04 February 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

BMA, thats some interesting information. Thanks for providing that.  Its surprising how a company would not standardize on sole plates.  The RC85 I have is one of the nicest persimmons I've ever hit, its very long and really solid, with the Apex 4 shaft, its got a great feel.

It wasn't just sole plates, it was actual product names.  For example, when it first came out in 1984, the TC-15 had a pecan finish and graphite insert with a 4 screw diamond pattern... which almost no one has seen.  For 5 years after that they produced another head called the TC-15 that most people know with a completely different shape, completely different finish and a multicolor phenolic insert rather than the graphite. In some part, I think that's what you had to expect in those days when looking at a company that was just starting out.

#17 freddiec

freddiec

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Teevons,
You've got some real beauties.  The Ben Crenshaw model is on my collector's bucket list. I've seen some really nice ones on the auction , but never bidded.  I really like your Tour Action model, the pic with 2, the one on the right looks great.   A good friend of mine, a good club pro in the mid 80s was at the PGA show and stopped at the Cleveland booth. The rep had a RC85 there that had the most beautiful stain and head, he was able to take it off the rep right there and then, and played it for a few years. It was the best one I had ever seen. They made great looking woods.

Edited by freddiec, 05 February 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#18 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

I found the Cleveland Dunaway. It was made after the Long Driving Champion in the 80's , Great looking Velocitized insert 1 3/4  face

View Postfreddiec, on 05 February 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

Teevons,
You've got some real beauties.  The Ben Crenshaw model is on my collector's bucket list. I've seen some really nice ones on the auction , but never bidded.  I really like your Tour Action model, the pic with 2, the one on the right looks great.   A good friend of mine, a good club pro in the mid 80s was at the PGA show and stopped at the Cleveland booth. The rep had a RC85 there that had the most beautiful stain and head, he was able to take it off the rep right there and then, and played it for a few years. It was the best one I had ever seen. They made great looking woods.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG

#19 weeicemon

weeicemon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 668
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

I always thought the satin finish on the Byron Nelson 68.3 Cleveland woods was one of the best, ever.

#20 Old Pro

Old Pro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149129
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Teevons,
My Dunaway model is slightly different than yours. My insert is all white, 6 screw, with the firing pin. It says "Oil Hardenned" on the toe stamp, and the crown stamp says "Dunaway" with the large D. I will try to post a pic when I get my new camera going.
Keith

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Yes, I used to have a set of those with the crown stamp also.  No telling how many different models there were of Dunaway??

View PostOld Pro, on 07 February 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Teevons,
My Dunaway model is slightly different than yours. My insert is all white, 6 screw, with the firing pin. It says "Oil Hardenned" on the toe stamp, and the crown stamp says "Dunaway" with the large D. I will try to post a pic when I get my new camera going.
Keith

#22 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Let me post these two Cleveland Classics-

The RH TC-15, and the LH TC-15 models.   The RH models have the butterfly soleplate, while the LH models were offered ONLY with the sweepback soleplate.  
Have the 1,3, and 4 models in both RH and LH
100_9033.JPG

100_9037.JPG
Note the LH model shown also has a drill thru hosel,  which was the first to be done for the LH Cleveland models.
One of the Gonzales brothers confirmed this by phone, though it's been over 20 years since I spoke to Cleveland directly.

Edited by rex235, 09 February 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#23 dalehead

dalehead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33032
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

I have a RC85 and TC15 driver and a RC69 3 wood. Nothing special so I won't bother posting pictures.

But one bit of trivia. Payne Stewart played a RC85 driver in the mid and late 80's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors