Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Eye Dominance, Eyeline and Putting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 evanleeball

evanleeball

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156697
  • Handicap:+.3
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I've searched a bit but haven't really found anything helpful. So I have two questions:                                                1. What effects can your eye dominance have on your alignment when putting?                                                            2. Where should your eyeline be while putting? Directly over the line? Inside? Outside? For a right eye dominant person. Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 delfam

delfam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121329
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

well I'm right handed left eye dominant and I haven't really thought about it and I don't think it has effected me at all. My best advice would probably be just to not think about it as I think it has little to no effect. For Putting your eyeline should always be right over the ball so I don't even think eye dominance would effect it at all.

#3 HitEmTrue

HitEmTrue

@HitEmTrue1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93756
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

There is no universal agreement on where the eyes should be.  Dave Pelz advocates the eyes over the target line, but also wants the putter to stay on that line throughout the stroke.  To accomplish this, the putter head has to close on the back swing, and open back up on the forward swing.  Stan Utley would have the eyes slightly inside the ball.  He teaches to allow the club to swing on an arc, with the club face staying square to its path.

I can't answer the eye dominance question, either.

#4 TheCityGame

TheCityGame

Chicks dig the bucket hat.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122960
GolfWRX Likes : 1727

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

in my opinion. . .that stuff doesn't matter.

YOU, personally, as a golfer, with YOUR equipment need to go figure out what a square face looks like to YOU from a comfortable putting stance. When you do that, someone might come along and say, "oh, your head is there, you must be right eye dominant."

But, the point of that stuff is just to get you to identify what square is. If you can get the ball started on the line you choose with your hat pulled over your eyes, then go for it.

That's just how I've done it. I used to putt with my head a little back and inside, but I figured out that what I thought was square wasn't; I was able to make a correction in the swing to adjust for it. But, I got a lot better when I started to put the toe down a little more and get over the head of the putter.

#5 Huntster

Huntster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146777
  • Handicap:11.3
  • Ebay ID:abraxas1971
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

This is an interesting topic as I am a lefty but play golf right handed. As an experiment I just bought a putter that is reversible and I am going to be putting left handed for the first time this weekend. I am left eye dominant and was hoping that putting left would help with my aim. I have tried putting at home and so far so good. I am using the same grip as putting right handed so it feels natural. Distance control will be something I will need to work on but we'll see.

#6 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Ebay ID:brentregis
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

http://www.golf.com/...ur-dominant-eye

this is your answer to eye dominance

*regarding eyes over ball...never have your eyes on the opposite side of the ball as your body. directly over the ball or slightly inside is ok*

#7 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98548
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostHitEmTrue, on 02 February 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

There is no universal agreement on where the eyes should be.

Best advice so far.^^^^

Want to learn more, read Geoff Mangum's "tips" section on his site.

Also, he has a downloadable e-book "Optimal Putting". Deep stuff, but very informative.

#8 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

I've always been a good putter, and have always had my eyes outside of the ball.  Right eye dominant.  Bend a lot at address, like Nicklaus/Stockton.  Go figure.  

I like to swivel my right eye under my left by spinning my head as I look at the hole, rather than turn it sideways.  Eyes are always 'parallel' with the line.  Works for me.

Agree-- there is no universal agreement.

#9 bobilishious2

bobilishious2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121647
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

The most important thing to do for eye dominance is not so much to do with how you set up over the ball but how you line up the putt.

People strongly left or right eye dominant tend to line up the putter face either left or right of where they are aiming and only experience teaches them to adjust through imapact etc.

The best thing to do is use a line on your ball but to ensure you line up the line using your dominant eye.

In your case close your left eye (keeping your dominant eye open) and with your right hand (important) point the line on the ball at the hole, then step back and use the shaft of the club to check the alignment of the line (hold the shaft in front of you and the line should trace perfectly up the shaft to the point you have selected.

From here it doesn't matter as much about eyes over, behind the ball etc. Just trust the line and let it go.

#10 evanleeball

evanleeball

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156697
  • Handicap:+.3
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Thanks guys. I really feel like my eyes were too far outside of the ball causing me to aim left. But of course, everyone is different.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98548
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

The one thing I have heard over and over (and agree with) is that the eyes should never be outside the ball.

Inside is advocated by some, and I do this myself to a small degree.

Some say put eyes directly over the ball.

But never outside the ball seems universally accepted.

Another huge variable, one I am experimenting with now, is ball position in relation to center of my stance versus more forward.

It effects the line of my putts significantly. Play with ball position in one ball increments till you find yourself rolling the ball to the hole.

If like me, you will find a big difference in where the ball goes as you move the ball forward from center.

All this relies on a repeatable and sound putting stroke of course. But these are huge variables.

Rather than being too reliant on what others do, I would suggest lots of experimentation. These are variables that all of us perceive differently.

-Dan

#12 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Ebay ID:brentregis
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:11 PM