Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping drivers - i20 or g20?


100 replies to this topic

#1 Jack84

Jack84

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153395
  • Joined: 01/04/2012
  • Location:London - England
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

Contemplating on buying a Ping driver this year - having never bought a Ping club before - I play off 12.  Really want an i20 for its low spin and launch - currently play the TMAG Burner 09 which launches too high.  But worried that the i20 will be too much of a club for me and so thinking of the g20 - but will this launch too high?  Other than that still thinking of the Callaway RAZR Fit.

I hit about 260 (with out carry) my miss is a push fade.  Driving is the best part of my game - so this is an important decision

Have any of you guys played one or both - and which will you choose?

Edited by Jack84, 01 February 2012 - 05:03 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 torrejuan

torrejuan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1203
  • Joined: 05/29/2005
  • Location:Nashville, TN area
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

Only tried i20, but it sounds like the G20 would be up your alley.

#3 jdemocko

jdemocko

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58013
  • Joined: 06/15/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

Last years gamer was a G15 with 7.5 degrees of loft, Diamana Whiteboard.  Now I don't know how much more low spin you can get than that set up.  This year I went with a G20, 8.3 digitally lofted head and the bone stock tour shaft by Ping.  The G20 is by far the better set up for me.  It is a fairway finder and it is long. I have never had more confidence in a driver than I have with this combo.  I cannot comment on the I 20 but the G20 is not a spinny head.

#4 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:cleveland, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

You guys are all giving up on the i20, the G15 was the winner last year this year the i20 will be the home run for ping.  I have owned the g20 it is a good driver, but hit the i20 now twice and hands down the better of the two for myself.  My spin numbers are lower with the i20 but not low low like the i15 was.  The i20 feels much better, looks better and was longer than the g20 was, hands down going to go down as the greatest Ping driver!
Callaway Big Bertha '14 KK proto
Callaway X hot 20 diamana ilima 70
Mizzy MP-54 KBS Tour 110 4-PW
Nike Tour Issue Forged 52,56,60 w/ TTDG
Cleveland 588 Mt 19 w/KBS C Taper
Seemore tour issue m1 Private Reserve

#5 Eagle006

Eagle006

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:Canada
  • Ebay ID:eagle006
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15.


#6 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:cleveland, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostEagle006, on 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15.


I know, the i20 not even close to the i15 forgivness, spin etc.  The i20 reminded me of a beefy and better looking g15.  When I tested i was like fine, but had zero expectations on liking the i20, but the rep said just hit it you will love it, I replied sure, having the bad thoughts of what I thought was a terrible driver in the i15.  But wow, once I hit it, so so much better than the TM line this year, in every aspect.  That is one awesome driver, now the key is finding the right shaft, I was not a huge fan of the PX offering in the i20.
Callaway Big Bertha '14 KK proto
Callaway X hot 20 diamana ilima 70
Mizzy MP-54 KBS Tour 110 4-PW
Nike Tour Issue Forged 52,56,60 w/ TTDG
Cleveland 588 Mt 19 w/KBS C Taper
Seemore tour issue m1 Private Reserve

#7 bellairemi

bellairemi

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5851
  • Joined: 09/08/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

I have hit both on Trackman - the i20 is noticeably lower spin and launch which does not suit me.  Before thinking your Burner launches too high, you might want to get the loft measured (the last 3 I measured were at least 1.5* higher loft than that stamped on the head) and then hit a launch monitor to demo the two Pings against each other.


View PostJack84, on 01 February 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Contemplating on buying a Ping driver this year - having never bought a Ping club before - I play off 12.  Really want an i20 for its low spin and launch - currently play the TMAG Burner 09 which launches too high.  But worried that the i20 will be too much of a club for me and so thinking of the g20 - but will this launch too high?  Other than that still thinking of the Callaway RAZR Fit.

I hit about 260 (with out carry) my miss is a push fade.  Driving is the best part of my game - so this is an important decision

Have any of you guys played one or both - and which will you choose?


#8 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:cleveland, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

View Postbellairemi, on 01 February 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

I have hit both on Trackman - the i20 is noticeably lower spin and launch which does not suit me.  Before thinking your Burner launches too high, you might want to get the loft measured (the last 3 I measured were at least 1.5* higher loft than that stamped on the head) and then hit a launch monitor to demo the two Pings against each other.


View PostJack84, on 01 February 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Contemplating on buying a Ping driver this year - having never bought a Ping club before - I play off 12.  Really want an i20 for its low spin and launch - currently play the TMAG Burner 09 which launches too high.  But worried that the i20 will be too much of a club for me and so thinking of the g20 - but will this launch too high?  Other than that still thinking of the Callaway RAZR Fit.

I hit about 260 (with out carry) my miss is a push fade.  Driving is the best part of my game - so this is an important decision

Have any of you guys played one or both - and which will you choose?

The i20 spins lower but not i15 low, and I agree the loft on all drivers needs measured, Ping you can actually pay to get them digitally lofted for a small fee, worth it for sure.  I hit the i20 in 8.5 and I almost usually always get 9 or higher in my driver, with that being said the 8.5 was perfect for me.
Callaway Big Bertha '14 KK proto
Callaway X hot 20 diamana ilima 70
Mizzy MP-54 KBS Tour 110 4-PW
Nike Tour Issue Forged 52,56,60 w/ TTDG
Cleveland 588 Mt 19 w/KBS C Taper
Seemore tour issue m1 Private Reserve

#9 FLGOLFJUNKIE

FLGOLFJUNKIE

    Hard Work Pays Off!!!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143083
  • Joined: 10/18/2011
  • Location:The Sunshine State!!!
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

View Postwoods991, on 01 February 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

View PostEagle006, on 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15.


I know, the i20 not even close to the i15 forgivness, spin etc.  The i20 reminded me of a beefy and better looking g15.  When I tested i was like fine, but had zero expectations on liking the i20, but the rep said just hit it you will love it, I replied sure, having the bad thoughts of what I thought was a terrible driver in the i15.  But wow, once I hit it, so so much better than the TM line this year, in every aspect.  That is one awesome driver, now the key is finding the right shaft, I was not a huge fan of the PX offering in the i20.

The PX Black is a brand new shaft, why are you not a huge fan already? Did you not like the numbers? I have an 8.5* coming and I couldn't love the Black 6.5 shaft more!

Edited by FLGOLFJUNKIE, 01 February 2012 - 08:33 AM.


#10 rocker40

rocker40

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97266
  • Joined: 10/25/2009
  • Location:Houston, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

The i20 looked and felt like a G15 painted black.  It is a great club.  If the face was adjustable it would be my next driver...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:cleveland, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostFLGOLFJUNKIE, on 01 February 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

View Postwoods991, on 01 February 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

View PostEagle006, on 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15.


I know, the i20 not even close to the i15 forgivness, spin etc.  The i20 reminded me of a beefy and better looking g15.  When I tested i was like fine, but had zero expectations on liking the i20, but the rep said just hit it you will love it, I replied sure, having the bad thoughts of what I thought was a terrible driver in the i15.  But wow, once I hit it, so so much better than the TM line this year, in every aspect.  That is one awesome driver, now the key is finding the right shaft, I was not a huge fan of the PX offering in the i20.

The PX Black is a brand new shaft, why are you not a huge fan already? Did you not like the numbers? I have an 8.5* coming and I couldn't love the Black 6.5 shaft more!

I liked it, felt great but my launch angle was a little high for my liking.  But I will say my dispersion was awesome with it accurate as could be, not to mention felt great, but need to get my launch angle down.The torque on the 6.0 PX black is 4.6 a little to high for me, but I do not feel I have the SS for the 6.5, the TFC stiff has a 4.1 torque

Edited by woods991, 01 February 2012 - 08:50 AM.

Callaway Big Bertha '14 KK proto
Callaway X hot 20 diamana ilima 70
Mizzy MP-54 KBS Tour 110 4-PW
Nike Tour Issue Forged 52,56,60 w/ TTDG
Cleveland 588 Mt 19 w/KBS C Taper
Seemore tour issue m1 Private Reserve

#12 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

If I go Ping this year, it will be the i20.  I was looking at an 8.5 G20 yesterday and the face looked about 2 shut.......not my bag baby.....
Ping G25 9.5, Oban Kiyoshi White 04
Titleist 913FD 15, Tour Blue
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5 Black, S400TI 56M & 60K
Scotty Studio NP2 34"

#13 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:cleveland, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostDNice26, on 01 February 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

If I go Ping this year, it will be the i20.  I was looking at an 8.5 G20 yesterday and the face looked about 2 shut.......not my bag baby.....


I agree, that i20 sits perfect.
Callaway Big Bertha '14 KK proto
Callaway X hot 20 diamana ilima 70
Mizzy MP-54 KBS Tour 110 4-PW
Nike Tour Issue Forged 52,56,60 w/ TTDG
Cleveland 588 Mt 19 w/KBS C Taper
Seemore tour issue m1 Private Reserve

#14 dalillama47

dalillama47

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11461
  • Joined: 02/08/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Anybody done any comparisons with the G & I 20's against the Rapture V2.  That thing was and still is an awesome driver for Ping.
Wishon 919 THI 10*, AXE 6+
Wishon 929 HS 18*, AXE Tour FW
searching for irons
Nike Method 003,  SS Slim 3.0
Scratch 8620 53* & 58* D/D grind

#15 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:cleveland, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

View Postdalillama47, on 01 February 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Anybody done any comparisons with the G & I 20's against the Rapture V2.  That thing was and still is an awesome driver for Ping.


The only thing I can add I had the V2 a couple of yrs ago, I feel in the limited time I got to use the i20, the i20 was actually more forgiving and I like the looks and feel of the i20 better.  As far as distance i have no idea, but I will say I do think that all of the newer driver including the V2, i never see any difference that stands out.  I always wonder all of these people who say one driver is so much longer, etc, the COR is the COR!  I will say as many will agree fitting is so key to max the potential of the club, so maybe some go longer than other becuase they got a proper fit, not sure.

Callaway Big Bertha '14 KK proto
Callaway X hot 20 diamana ilima 70
Mizzy MP-54 KBS Tour 110 4-PW
Nike Tour Issue Forged 52,56,60 w/ TTDG
Cleveland 588 Mt 19 w/KBS C Taper
Seemore tour issue m1 Private Reserve

#16 fairwayallday

fairwayallday

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119340
  • Joined: 12/24/2010
  • Location:KC
  • Ebay ID:carycat71
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

I have been able to hit the 10.5, TFC in stiff and 6.0 a couple of times and this thing feels like a cannon to me. Sooo solid. I have a pretty smooth transistion and ss of 94-96 in season.

I play a g15 with a AD DJ6 stiff now. The i20 sets up perfectly. I hope I can get it with a new VTS or ATTAS Elements.

#17 3put

3put

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65695
  • Joined: 09/14/2008
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Postwoods991, on 01 February 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

View Postdalillama47, on 01 February 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Anybody done any comparisons with the G & I 20's against the Rapture V2.  That thing was and still is an awesome driver for Ping.


The only thing I can add I had the V2 a couple of yrs ago, I feel in the limited time I got to use the i20, the i20 was actually more forgiving and I like the looks and feel of the i20 better.  As far as distance i have no idea, but I will say I do think that all of the newer driver including the V2, i never see any difference that stands out.  I always wonder all of these people who say one driver is so much longer, etc, the COR is the COR!  I will say as many will agree fitting is so key to max the potential of the club, so maybe some go longer than other becuase they got a proper fit, not sure.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've always been told the only way I'll gain more distance is to generate more clubhead speed, and I just haven't been able to make a significant increase. For what it's worth, all of the new drivers I've demoed, comparably set-up, are never more than a 5-7yrds difference.

#18 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

    We are the Old Dark Navy Blues

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44148
  • Joined: 12/18/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

View Postjdemocko, on 01 February 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Last years gamer was a G15 with 7.5 degrees of loft, Diamana Whiteboard.  Now I don't know how much more low spin you can get than that set up.  This year I went with a G20, 8.3 digitally lofted head and the bone stock tour shaft by Ping.  The G20 is by far the better set up for me.  It is a fairway finder and it is long. I have never had more confidence in a driver than I have with this combo.  I cannot comment on the I 20 but the G20 is not a spinny head.

joe, what are you hitting that beast to? I redid my standard 9.5 G20 with a x-flex Blueboard, tipped 1/2"  and it's a smooth, long boring trajectory. G20, sensational.

#19 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Anyone else notice that the "appearance" of the loft on the i20 driver is high.  In other words, the 9.5 just looked like about an 11 driver to my eye.  Strange.  Maybe because the face is square, it appears to have more loft?  Just an observation after trying it yesterday.
Ping G25 9.5, Oban Kiyoshi White 04
Titleist 913FD 15, Tour Blue
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5 Black, S400TI 56M & 60K
Scotty Studio NP2 34"

#20 TJC

TJC

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135196
  • Joined: 08/04/2011
  • Location:Colorado
  • Handicap:+0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yes I think you're right, when I had an 8 degree tour edge cb3 tour driver (2 degree open face) the face looked like it was about 12 degrees.

And I'd get the g20 with a low launch shaft, should be perfect. I don't see any need for a "players" driver except for possibly the lower spin rates, which I am willing to give up for more forgiveness

Taylormade SLDR GD AD-DI
Tmag SLDR 16.5 Speeder tour spec 6.2x
Taylormade SLDR 21 GD AD DI
Taylormade Rbladez/MB combo
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52, 56 ATV, 60
Taylormade Maranello Tour issue

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:cleveland, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostDNice26, on 01 February 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

Anyone else notice that the "appearance" of the loft on the i20 driver is high.  In other words, the 9.5 just looked like about an 11 driver to my eye.  Strange.  Maybe because the face is square, it appears to have more loft?  Just an observation after trying it yesterday.

I found the same on the one I hit, like I mentioned I never get or hit a 8.5 and that is what I was hitting and it was launching at 14 degree, not sure on what that is all about.
Callaway Big Bertha '14 KK proto
Callaway X hot 20 diamana ilima 70
Mizzy MP-54 KBS Tour 110 4-PW
Nike Tour Issue Forged 52,56,60 w/ TTDG
Cleveland 588 Mt 19 w/KBS C Taper
Seemore tour issue m1 Private Reserve

#22 Eagle006

Eagle006

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:Canada
  • Ebay ID:eagle006
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostTJC, on 01 February 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yes I think you're right, when I had an 8 degree tour edge cb3 tour driver (2 degree open face) the face looked like it was about 12 degrees.

And I'd get the g20 with a low launch shaft, should be perfect. I don't see any need for a "players" driver except for possibly the lower spin rates, which I am willing to give up for more forgiveness

I think the point is the i20 is not a 'players' driver. Though it's not as forgiving as the G20, which is freakish in that department, it is extremely forgiving in its own right and more forgiving than the G15, which no-one in their right mind would ever say was just for 'players'. The G15 was good for 24 handicappers and scratch players alike.

Edited by Eagle006, 13 February 2012 - 06:45 AM.


#23 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82440
  • Joined: 05/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

I recently just bought a ping g20 driver.  never thought of using ping before.  i am a club ho but i normally do extensive comparisons and testing before chaning equipment.  this winter I just wanted a change so went in looked at the g20 and looked nice at setup  had the store hold it and tested it 4 different days.  kind of foolish and just bought it.  very happy so far.  my other driver is a burner with diamona blue board shaft.  the g20 gets a higher launch angle without alot of extra spin.  also tested the g20 3wood.  as of now it was the best 3wood i can hit.  long and dispersion was great.  held off on buying that this winter.  plan to get a new 3wood in the spring.

#24 puttitin

puttitin

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5937
  • Joined: 09/10/2005
  • Location:Cote d'Azur , FRANCE
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostEagle006, on 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15.


Have you tested both the drivers ? Did you do this on the course? If not I would wait to do so before confirming your thoughts. But if you did confirm the i20's forgiveness,that is very good news indeed!
Driver: Ping G20 +TM RBZ 2
Woods:R7 TP # 3+5 RBZ 2  # 3+ 5
Hybrids: RBZ 2   #  4
MX-200 -Srixon i-701
Putter : Odessey White Hot Tour #1
Wedges: Cleveland CG16 : 52 + 56

#25 lawrencedc1

lawrencedc1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84594
  • Joined: 06/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostEagle006, on 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15.


I would like to here a little more on this or see something concrete.  Can this possibly be true?

Ping I25 10.5 Attas Gogo 5S
X2Hot 3 Deep 757 Speeder
Ping G25 hybrid 20*
Mizuno Mx-300 4-GW
SM2 Vokeys 54* & 60*
Bettinardi Tour Stock 5 DASS

#26 MB_Viking

MB_Viking

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96613
  • Joined: 10/15/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

View Postlawrencedc1, on 12 February 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostEagle006, on 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15.


I would like to here a little more on this or see something concrete.  Can this possibly be true?

As per the PING website, the i20 driver is more forgiving than the i15 but NOT as forgiving as the G15 or G20 drivers.

#27 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

If your miss is a hook, highly consider the i20.  It is quite forgiving.
Ping G25 9.5, Oban Kiyoshi White 04
Titleist 913FD 15, Tour Blue
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5 Black, S400TI 56M & 60K
Scotty Studio NP2 34"

#28 Eagle006

Eagle006

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:Canada
  • Ebay ID:eagle006
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostMB_Viking, on 12 February 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

View Postlawrencedc1, on 12 February 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostEagle006, on 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15.


I would like to here a little more on this or see something concrete.  Can this possibly be true?

As per the PING website, the i20 driver is more forgiving than the i15 but NOT as forgiving as the G15 or G20 drivers.


That's strange, because beruo's write up on these clubs, with info directly from Ping says otherwise in relation to the G15. Relevant passage for you below;

'In designing the i20 driver, PING utilized many of the same advances incorporated into the G20 driver, making appropriate design tradeoffs to meet the needs of better players. They made the driver more aerodynamic--something that golfers with higher swingspeeds would be able to take advantage of. Although this change lowers inertia, PING added tungsten weights to bring the MOI back up to G15 levels. It's not as forgiving as the G20 driver--but the i20 driver is much more friendly than the i15, to the tune of being 16% more forgiving across the vertical (Y) axis and 12% more forgiving across the horizontal (X). So basically, even if the G20 driver never came out, the i20 would still have been an improvement over the G15 in terms of forgiveness.'


Do you think beruo and Ping have misinformed us?

Edited by Eagle006, 14 March 2012 - 02:00 PM.


#29 Wooderson

Wooderson

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5371
  • Joined: 08/22/2005
  • Location:Alma, AR
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Having a deeper faced driver will give the illusion of more loft because the farther vertical you go the greater the distance horizontally between the lower leading edge and upper leading edge.
Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin
Ping G25 9.5* +Pos  w/Fuel TS 60s
Ping I25 3 Wood PWR 75S
Mizuno JPX 800HD 4/5 Fli Hi 6-GW
Titleist Vokey SM4 54M and TVD  58M
Ping Ketsch

#30 lawrencedc1

lawrencedc1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84594
  • Joined: 06/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Tou Shey. Data and physics aside.   I would still like to hear some tangible on course comparisons vs the G15. forgiveness wise.

Edited by lawrencedc1, 12 February 2012 - 05:28 PM.

Ping I25 10.5 Attas Gogo 5S
X2Hot 3 Deep 757 Speeder
Ping G25 hybrid 20*
Mizuno Mx-300 4-GW
SM2 Vokeys 54* & 60*
Bettinardi Tour Stock 5 DASS

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors