Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Oban Composites- Interview w/ Victor Afable, President


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 easyyy

easyyy

    Founder & Still a Ho

  • Rules Official
  • 11,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1
  • Joined: 03/01/2005
  • Location:Detroit
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 2440

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

We thank Victor Afable the President of Oban for sitting down with GolfWRX. We found out on Tuesday that Pete Sanchez formally of Fujikura and also TMag has recently joined Oban Composites.

Oban Composites designer, manufacturer and marketer of high-performance graphite shafts sold worldwide. Oban Composites offers the Devotion, Revenge, Kiyoshi and Tour Prototype series. The Tour Prototype V430, made in Japan, combines four axis aerospace materials with Oban's unique shaft design to provide consistent feel, maximum performance, and distance.

Here is the interview-



in WRX we TRUST
richard@golfwrx.com


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#2 Hifade

Hifade

    Life's REAL short now.

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26
  • Joined: 04/07/2005
  • Location:Right here
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

Vic's a long time friend of mine and a great guy. OBAN makes one of the highest quality products in the business. I wish him continued great success. Nice to hear Pete Sanchez has joined him. Pete's another great guy with a rich history in the business. Good move Vic (and Pete). Talk to you both soon.

Cardo

Edited by Hifade, 29 January 2012 - 08:26 AM.

PING G30 9* - Aldila Rogue Black 110
TOUR EDGE Exotics XCG7 FW - Excalibur Tour
ADAMS 20* Original Peanut - Excalibur Tour
CALLAWAY 3-W APEX - Original Satin PX
PING Anser Milled 0
CALLAWAY Slate MD2 54* / 58* - Original Satin PX
TITLEIST PROV1X - 00's
UNDER ARMOUR Apparel
FOOTJOY Shoes

2

#3 willpeoples

willpeoples

    THE WILL PEOPLES!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53003
  • Joined: 04/05/2008
  • Location:Western North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:The_Tour_Van
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Agreed, they are great shafts, the devotion is one of the best shafts out there for low launch.

3

#4 DTown3011

DTown3011

    #DTown3011

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59636
  • Joined: 07/05/2008
  • Location:Colorado
GolfWRX Likes : 487

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

What would be OBAN's high launch, low spin shaft in the 50-60g range?
GBB 10.5° Speeder Evo 665 TS
X2Hot Pro 17° Diamana Kai'li 70
X-Hot Pro 20° Tour AD DI-85
Apex UT 21° Tour AD DI-95
Apex 5-PW KBS Tour Matte Black Protos
MD2 Tour Grind 52/56/60 TI S400
Metal-X Milled Versa #7 Tank @ 38"

4

#5 fireguyfrank58

fireguyfrank58

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94350
  • Joined: 09/13/2009
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Ebay ID:vegeta5658
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Oban shafts are by far the best I have ever hit! The kiyoshi has absolutely transformed my drives into high launching low spinning bombs! Those guys are doing something right!  They have earned my loyalty. The combo of my 8.5 SF 2.0 TP and Kiyoshi X stiff will be in my bag for a long longtime.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

5

#6 willpeoples

willpeoples

    THE WILL PEOPLES!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53003
  • Joined: 04/05/2008
  • Location:Western North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:The_Tour_Van
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostDTown3011, on 29 January 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

What would be OBAN's high launch, low spin shaft in the 50-60g range?


The kiyoshi, or the tour proto mach 4, the kiyoshi is like the new and improved proto.  They make a 55g one too, the kiyoshis are great shafts.

6

#7 Towelieeee

Towelieeee

    You're a towel!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95444
  • Joined: 09/28/2009
  • Location:Citrus Heights, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

What are the specs for the revenge? I never bothered to find out; I like the color and the performance of it though. Thinking about building a driver with one
Ping Rapture V1 10.5* w/ Whiteboard 73x
Ping G15 18.5* w/ Prolite fairway X
Ping G10 21* w/ Oban Revenge S
Ping i15 4-W w/ PX satin 6.0
Ping Tour S 52* & 56*, Eye 2 60*
Ping Anser 2 Pat. Pending Black satin

7

#8 willpeoples

willpeoples

    THE WILL PEOPLES!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53003
  • Joined: 04/05/2008
  • Location:Western North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:The_Tour_Van
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

I think its like mid launch low spin, its an OK shaft.  Not their best IMO.

8

#9 jmlGOLF

jmlGOLF

    IIWII?

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97882
  • Joined: 11/03/2009
  • Location:Illinois
  • Ebay ID:jmlgolf2010
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

I have the Kiyoshi in my R11 and can't say enough good stuff about it. It's a super smooth shaft and just fits perfectly with my swing. Will or anyone else  have any opinion  about the Revenge hybrid shaft? I might be putting one in a TM 2011 Rescue.
SLDR 12* - Matrix White Tie
Callaway XHot Pro 3wood - Oban Devotion
Callaway XHot Pro 5wood - Project X
Titleist 712 AP2 - KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade TP Kia Ma Monte Carlo
Titleist SM4 54* & 58*

9

#10 ^m9

^m9

    ᕦ(_*)ᕤ

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2090
  • Joined: 06/30/2005
  • Location:Vancouver, BC
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Absolutely love OBAN shafts.  As smooth feeling as any mitsu/GD shafts I tried during my fitting, if not smoother.  Devotion is killer for me.  Interested in the Kiyoshi purple/black.


PING G30 LS TEC 10°-ping tour 65x
TITLEIST 915F 15°-aldila rogue black 70x
CALLAWAY XR 19º 22° -aldila tour blue & green 85x
PING i5 5-PW -kbs tour s+
VOKEY SM4 50°F 54°M 58°S -dg spinner
CAMERON 2014 SELECT NP2 -heavy option


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest


Hi there. Wondering why this box is in your way from continuing to read down this awesome thread? Just join for free and you will never see it again.




10

#11 DTown3011

DTown3011

    #DTown3011

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59636
  • Joined: 07/05/2008
  • Location:Colorado
GolfWRX Likes : 487

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

View Post^m9, on 31 January 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

Absolutely love OBAN shafts.  As smooth feeling as any mitsu/GD shafts I tried during my fitting, if not smoother.  Devotion is killer for me.  Interested in the Kiyoshi purple/black.


I'm really interested in the Kiyoshi myself, particularly for the woods.  Has anyone tried a Devotion or Kiyoshi hybrid shaft?
GBB 10.5° Speeder Evo 665 TS
X2Hot Pro 17° Diamana Kai'li 70
X-Hot Pro 20° Tour AD DI-85
Apex UT 21° Tour AD DI-95
Apex 5-PW KBS Tour Matte Black Protos
MD2 Tour Grind 52/56/60 TI S400
Metal-X Milled Versa #7 Tank @ 38"

11

#12 256ctf

256ctf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123278
  • Joined: 03/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

Anyone compare Oban devotion & ad-di :)
Which one easy to load & smooth
Thx!

12

#13 ^m9

^m9

    ᕦ(_*)ᕤ

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2090
  • Joined: 06/30/2005
  • Location:Vancouver, BC
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

View Post256ctf, on 31 January 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Anyone compare Oban devotion & ad-di :)
Which one easy to load & smooth
Thx!

Yes.  I hit both in similar weights/flexes.  Quite similar feel, both easy to load and smooth through impact.  I would have to say the Devotion is *slightly* more stiff feeling in comparable flex (as though it doesn't seem to kick as much as the AD-DI), however I got waay less spin with the Devotion, a better launch angle, as well as a better landing angle.  This was all on a Trackman, so I'm not "visualizing" this.

Remember, everyone loads shafts differently and their transitions are different.  For me, nothing beat out the Project X Tour Issue and Oban Devotion.  Those 2 gave me the best numbers by far.  I absolutely hated the RIP.  Felt like crap and I didn't like the bend profile.  The fitter said that it's the least popular shaft he fits people into.  He mentioned to me that a recent fitting session for a CPGA pro got the best numbers with the MFT Ahina.  The pro couldn't believe it, but the Trackman doesn't lie.  That's another great feeling, low spin shaft.

Hope that info helps.

^m9

PING G30 LS TEC 10°-ping tour 65x
TITLEIST 915F 15°-aldila rogue black 70x
CALLAWAY XR 19º 22° -aldila tour blue & green 85x
PING i5 5-PW -kbs tour s+
VOKEY SM4 50°F 54°M 58°S -dg spinner
CAMERON 2014 SELECT NP2 -heavy option


13

#14 camaro02

camaro02

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119662
  • Joined: 01/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostjmlGOLF, on 31 January 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

I have the Kiyoshi in my R11 and can't say enough good stuff about it. It's a super smooth shaft and just fits perfectly with my swing. Will or anyone else  have any opinion  about the Revenge hybrid shaft? I might be putting one in a TM 2011 Rescue.

have the revenge in a 20* cobra dws. its a good shaft but i still prefer px

14

#15 czastrow

czastrow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79464
  • Joined: 04/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 412

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

victor is awesome. For pushing and selling and gaming his product, he sent me the one and only OBAN apron.. Posted Image

G30 LS
RFX
J15cb
J15
Anser

15

#16 256ctf

256ctf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123278
  • Joined: 03/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

View Post^m9, on 31 January 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

View Post256ctf, on 31 January 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Anyone compare Oban devotion & ad-di :)
Which one easy to load & smooth
Thx!

Yes.  I hit both in similar weights/flexes.  Quite similar feel, both easy to load and smooth through impact.  I would have to say the Devotion is *slightly* more stiff feeling in comparable flex (as though it doesn't seem to kick as much as the AD-DI), however I got waay less spin with the Devotion, a better launch angle, as well as a better landing angle.  This was all on a Trackman, so I'm not "visualizing" this.

Remember, everyone loads shafts differently and their transitions are different.  For me, nothing beat out the Project X Tour Issue and Oban Devotion.  Those 2 gave me the best numbers by far.  I absolutely hated the RIP.  Felt like crap and I didn't like the bend profile.  The fitter said that it's the least popular shaft he fits people into.  He mentioned to me that a recent fitting session for a CPGA pro got the best numbers with the MFT Ahina.  The pro couldn't believe it, but the Trackman doesn't lie.  That's another great feeling, low spin shaft.

Hope that info helps.

^m9
Thank you ! It helps:) i

16

#17 ^m9

^m9

    ᕦ(_*)ᕤ

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2090
  • Joined: 06/30/2005
  • Location:Vancouver, BC
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Post256ctf, on 01 February 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

View Post^m9, on 31 January 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

View Post256ctf, on 31 January 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Anyone compare Oban devotion & ad-di :)
Which one easy to load & smooth
Thx!

Yes.  I hit both in similar weights/flexes.  Quite similar feel, both easy to load and smooth through impact.  I would have to say the Devotion is *slightly* more stiff feeling in comparable flex (as though it doesn't seem to kick as much as the AD-DI), however I got waay less spin with the Devotion, a better launch angle, as well as a better landing angle.  This was all on a Trackman, so I'm not "visualizing" this.

Remember, everyone loads shafts differently and their transitions are different.  For me, nothing beat out the Project X Tour Issue and Oban Devotion.  Those 2 gave me the best numbers by far.  I absolutely hated the RIP.  Felt like crap and I didn't like the bend profile.  The fitter said that it's the least popular shaft he fits people into.  He mentioned to me that a recent fitting session for a CPGA pro got the best numbers with the MFT Ahina.  The pro couldn't believe it, but the Trackman doesn't lie.  That's another great feeling, low spin shaft.

Hope that info helps.

^m9
Thank you ! It helps:) i

Excellent!

PING G30 LS TEC 10°-ping tour 65x
TITLEIST 915F 15°-aldila rogue black 70x
CALLAWAY XR 19º 22° -aldila tour blue & green 85x
PING i5 5-PW -kbs tour s+
VOKEY SM4 50°F 54°M 58°S -dg spinner
CAMERON 2014 SELECT NP2 -heavy option


17

#18 cadman88

cadman88

    Advanced Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,043 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114210
  • Joined: 09/02/2010
  • Location:Buffalo / Rochester, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Here is some additional info on the Oban line of shafts..


Devotion 6 04 Flex / 255 CPM / 3.6 Torque
Devotion 7 04 Flex / 251 CPM / 3.5 Torque

Revenge 6 04 Flex / 254 CPM / 3.6 Torque
Revenge 7 04 Flex / 254 CPM / 3.5 Torque

Kiyoshi 65 04 Flex / 259 CPM / 3.5 Torque
Kiyoshi 75 04 Flex / 261 CPM / 3.1 Torque

Devotion 6 05 Flex / 267 CPM / 3.6 Torque
Devotion 7 05 Flex / 265 CPM / 3.5 Torque

Revenge 6 05 Flex / 266 CPM / 3.6 Torque
Revenge 7 05 Flex / 264 CPM / 3.5 Torque

Kiyoshi 65 05 Flex / 269 CPM / 3.5 Torque
Kiyoshi 75 05 Flex / 274 CPM / 3/1 Torque


Ping G30 LS 10.5° with Tour AD BB 6x
Taylormade JetSpeed Tour Issue TS 14° with Tour AD BB 7x
Taylormade JetSpeed Tour Issue 18.5° with Tour AD BB 7x
Mizuno MP-H4 4-PW with Dynalite Gold XP X100
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Satin 52° / 12s (stock)
Taylormade ATV 56° (stock)
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Satin 60° / 14c (stock)
Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 35"

18



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors