Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

GolfSmith?

95 replies to this topic

#1 Norboo

Norboo

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34535
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

What the  happened to GolfSmith?  They used to be reliable but now, they are so lost its isn’t funny.  I still haven’t received my refund from late December.  After several calls, long LONG wait and really crappy customer service, I chalked it up as a loss.  They just have no clue what’s going on. Can they hold my refund for that long?  Are they breaking some law by holding on to all the customers refund to gain interest?  

What a joke they became...

Edited by MrParr1Noid, 25 January 2012 - 12:01 AM.
Profanity deleted. Don't post it here.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 typhoonoid

typhoonoid

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133481
  • Ebay ID:typhoonoid
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

not gonna lie they had some killer clearance deals on clothing though

#3 Shavanni

Shavanni

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121537
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

View Posttyphoonoid, on 25 January 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

not gonna lie they had some killer clearance deals on clothing though

Killer deals that never show up.
I've been waiting on an order since September 16

#4 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1578

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

From what I understand they are on credit hold with multiple vendors and have very little cash on hand right now.  I would not recommend purchasing anything from them because if they do not have it on hand you are going to be waiting until they have funds to clear their accounts.  Its truly a mess right now.  I thought about acting on a few of their deals but honestly the crazy discounts are not worth the hassle of calling to figure out where my money or their product is...  I don't think its too smart to charge a customer until the product ships unless its a custom order for clubs.

My guess is they're running these crazy deals to get an influx of cash to make payments and are willing to make 0 profit margin just to get something.
i25 8.5- BB-6
913Fd 18- Rombax P95
S55's (4-W)- S400 TI
Vokey 50, 55, 60- S400 TI
GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#5 Ghost_Orchid

Ghost_Orchid

Golf Junkie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37491
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

Call your CC and have them get your money back.  Do a Charge Back.

I did buy my Ecco for $57 and Puma Cell Fusion for $77, not too shabby.

Edited by Ghost_Orchid, 25 January 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#6 Olson12

Olson12

#TeamJetSpeed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116028
  • Handicap:2.9
  • Ebay ID:blakewolson12
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostGhost_Orchid, on 25 January 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

Call your CC and have them get your money back.  Do a Charge Back.

I did buy my Ecco for $57 and Puma Cell Fusion for $77, not too shabby.

where/how?

#7 gallen50

gallen50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138134
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Golfsmith seems to be going down hill fast.  I used to order 90% of my clubmaking supplies from them.  For the past 9 months they have been very unreliable.  Constantly backordered with changing ship dates.  Really too bad - they used to be a very good company to do business with.

#8 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35735
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

I think what JW said is correct. It wouldn't surprise me to see a circuit city/best buy scenario with Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy. With GG's alliance with Dicks, I would guess that Golfsmith would be the one to fold.
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

#9 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34315
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostNorboo, on 24 January 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

What the  happened to GolfSmith?  They used to be reliable but now, they are so lost its isnít funny.  I still havenít received my refund from late December.  After several calls, long LONG wait and really crappy customer service, I chalked it up as a loss.  They just have no clue whatís going on. Can they hold my refund for that long?  Are they breaking some law by holding on to all the customers refund to gain interest?  

What a joke they became...

I'm waiting on a refund that they charged me 2x's the item price for, and another for eccos that never shipped but they charged me for anyway.
I need to call again.

#10 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Seems to be standard these days. Small, efficient, well run company goes big time national then adios. Sorry for your loses. Thanks for the info. Not a 'good deal' if you're not getting the product.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 smackygolf

smackygolf

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9577
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

I've been telling you guys this for months, and everyone keeps shouting me down, especially Golfsmith employees. They are trying like heck to get purchased. I know for a fact Golftown was looking at them. They are out of money, and out of options. If there is no buyer soon, they will be gone. Golf retail is disappearing. Dicks can make it because of the ridiculous margins on their apparel and shoes in the rest of the store. 60% margin on a running shirt or shoes, or less than 35% on golf hardgoods?  The sporting goods discounts are high enough to float the break-even business of golf. It's why GSmith tried to go heavy in golf apparel, but it was too late. Even the 65% margin on the store brand stuff they push so hard didn't help. Standalone golf will be gone sooner rather than later. Price compression has ended the day of golf retail being viable on a large scale. Even if you sell the same amount of units as 4 years ago, you make half as much money. No other costs have gone done--not labor, not lights, not the basics needed to function. It's a bad situation. Trust me, I've looked at every alternative, and been in meetings where you'd shudder to hear the prognosis of big companies. It's scary, and only going to get worse.

#12 henricogolfer

henricogolfer

My ball went where?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134412
  • Ebay ID:henricogolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

View Postjoeclothing, on 25 January 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

I think what JW said is correct. It wouldn't surprise me to see a circuit city/best buy scenario with Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy. With GG's alliance with Dicks, I would guess that Golfsmith would be the one to fold.

As a Richmonder who knows lots of ex Circuit City Corporate folks I can say they didn't go out of business because of price wars or bad customer service, they gobbled up property that then lost value and they were stuck in bad locations with lots of debt. They had over 100 stores that were no longer open they were paying mortgages on. Just clarifying.
Lee

#13 henricogolfer

henricogolfer

My ball went where?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134412
  • Ebay ID:henricogolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

View Postsmackygolf, on 25 January 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

I've been telling you guys this for months, and everyone keeps shouting me down, especially Golfsmith employees. They are trying like heck to get purchased. I know for a fact Golftown was looking at them. They are out of money, and out of options. If there is no buyer soon, they will be gone. Golf retail is disappearing. Dicks can make it because of the ridiculous margins on their apparel and shoes in the rest of the store. 60% margin on a running shirt or shoes, or less than 35% on golf hardgoods?  The sporting goods discounts are high enough to float the break-even business of golf. It's why GSmith tried to go heavy in golf apparel, but it was too late. Even the 65% margin on the store brand stuff they push so hard didn't help. Standalone golf will be gone sooner rather than later. Price compression has ended the day of golf retail being viable on a large scale. Even if you sell the same amount of units as 4 years ago, you make half as much money. No other costs have gone done--not labor, not lights, not the basics needed to function. It's a bad situation. Trust me, I've looked at every alternative, and been in meetings where you'd shudder to hear the prognosis of big companies. It's scary, and only going to get worse.

You are very right, commodities continue to increase in price during a recession. I was in one of those scary meetings yesterday.

#14 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
GolfWRX Likes : 1234

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

The company is poorly ran and having serious financial problems.  Stay far far away.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#15 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 736

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Ha, my last order wasn't shipped after a few weeks, shipping date wasn't updtaed......  I sent an email to customer support asking if my order was ever going to ship or if it was cancelled.  I got an email back after a few days saying it has been cancelled due to my request......  What?  

I do know that the market conditions are absolutely killing specialty big box retailers like GS.  All the high margin items can easily be had for cheaper online, and even with clubs people will save 6-10% online depending on taxes (at the very least).  Add on the fact that golf is a luxury expense and they're toast.....

#16 roll - gybe

roll - gybe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59949
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

View Posthenricogolfer, on 25 January 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postsmackygolf, on 25 January 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

You are very right, commodities continue to increase in price during a recession. I was in one of those scary meetings yesterday.

Sure look at cotton, metals, oil (transportation).  The only thing that hasn't gone up is plastic because natural gas production had a technological leap forward.  For the other commodities, well, money printing has to go somewhere...

#17 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Makes me appreciate PGA Superstore.  New one in Denver is going to close the Golfsmith a mile away.  Much better run company.  Golfsmith is like a morgue now.
Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

#18 jayzona

jayzona

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1613
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

As customer service goes in the store I am totally satisfied:  read below

I needed pronto 13 gptv in .560, the chandler,az store did not have them so they checked with the n.phx store 30+ miles away and they said they will ship and be at the store the next day, well fed.ex came and went the next day and no grips, tracking showed they shipped. The sales rep handling this said he would drive up to the n. phx location and have them is a few hours which he did and i was thankful, 6 miles the other direction was a pga superstore, GS could have told me sorry go down the road but did not....just my 2 cents on store satisfaction

#19 LBlack14

LBlack14

Say it to my face!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30664
  • Ebay ID:LBlack14
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

3 orders in 3 weeks without a hitch. Those were placed online then confirmed by phone. I don't see how folks spend $$$ then sit around for 3 weeks or better, and multiple emails and don't pick up the phone and CALL somebody.

#20 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108552
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

The GS in Highland Park, IL is staffed with really good professionals who are always willing to help.  The GS Cust Service line is always helpful when I need.  Whoever is running their website is an incompetent boob.

Callaway Optiforce - Kiyoshi Purple
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway Xhot 5-SW - Graphite Shafts
Vokey 60 degree/STX Putter

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Shavanni

Shavanni

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121537
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostLBlack14, on 25 January 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

3 orders in 3 weeks without a hitch. Those were placed online then confirmed by phone. I don't see how folks spend $ then sit around for 3 weeks or better, and multiple emails and don't pick up the phone and CALL somebody.

Being put on hold for over 30 minutes before even talking to someone is tough to deal with.
Factor in International phone rates and that's too much to deal with. I've spent enough money already.

I'll correspond via email

Edited by Shavanni, 25 January 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#22 chicgolf19

chicgolf19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151079
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

A month ago I went through hell with Golfsmith trying to get my X-18 callaway 7 iron fixed. The shaft broke at the hosel. It took them 3 times to fix it! The first time it looked fine and was good until the whole shaft twisted (came loose). Then I took it back to them, showed it to them, said ok we will fix it. Then I go to pick it up for the 2nd time. The X-18 is a bore thru and the shaft was in crooked and it was all uneven. So they did it for a 3rd time, and its good. But it shouldn't take 3 times for them to freaking fix it! They never said sorry or anything and was just plain rude. No longer going to Golfsmith for club repairs!!!

#23 chicgolf19

chicgolf19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151079
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

I agree the stock online of the womens clothing is terrible! Zappos has a better selection and they arent even a golf store!

View Postjabrch, on 25 January 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

The GS in Highland Park, IL is staffed with really good professionals who are always willing to help.  The GS Cust Service line is always helpful when I need.  Whoever is running their website is an incompetent boob.

#24 justhackin

justhackin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41180
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Well, well what a tangled web we weave!

I remember in a not to distant past everyone was bailing on local shops because they could get what they wanted cheaper at the "big boys". Then folks started buying everything online after trying it at the "big boys". If I remember correctly some here tried to tell others that the end result wasn't what any one needed..... it seems those few weren't so stupid after all!!

hackin

Edited by justhackin, 25 January 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#25 youngwaldo

youngwaldo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8465
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have grips on order and they said my CC would not be cahrged until my grips are shipped.  Sounds very fair to me.

Wk

SLDR TP 430 VC6.2 TOUR SPEC X
SLDR TP 14.5*, 19* VC7.2 TOUR SPEC X
TM TP CB 3 Iron, MC 4-6,  MB 7-PW  DGTIX
xFT 52, 56 DGTI S400
Titleist GOLO 7 Dual Balance
TOUR PREFERRED X, PROV1x

#26 krutoi

krutoi

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51767
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:n/a
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

They cancel online orders at will. Never again will I deal with their website. The people in the stores seem nice and I don't blame them for the stupid online tricks they play.
I25 9.5 (longest driver so far for me)
Ping I25 5w, G20 3w
Apex 5-pw with stiff Recoil (WOW)
I20  4 Hybrid, SLDR 3 Hbrid
Ping Gorge 56,60 or Titleist SM4's
Scotty Cameron

#27 reno

reno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109017
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

A coworker purchased a complete set of Taylormade clubs and bag ($1000+) from the local store 7 weeks ago. Payed with a debit card as credit and funds from his account still hasn't been deducted.
WOOHOO! GS given away FREE golf equipment.No wonder their going under.

#28 LBlack14

LBlack14

Say it to my face!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30664
  • Ebay ID:LBlack14
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

View PostShavanni, on 25 January 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

View PostLBlack14, on 25 January 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

3 orders in 3 weeks without a hitch. Those were placed online then confirmed by phone. I don't see how folks spend $ then sit around for 3 weeks or better, and multiple emails and don't pick up the phone and CALL somebody.

Being put on hold for over 30 minutes before even talking to someone is tough to deal with.
Factor in International phone rates and that's too much to deal with. I've spent enough money already.

I'll correspond via email

Has NEVER, I say NEVER happened to me and I've been buying from them for probably 10 yrs.

#29 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

Landon, it never used to happen to me either. But in the last six months it has happened a lot. They are going downhill fast.

#30 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

I've already spent over two hours in the phone trying to resolve one small problem. Still not fixed.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors