Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

garmin approach g6

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#31 dgn

dgn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81898
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

View Postmotofrog, on 22 February 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

I picked up a G6 at golfsmith monday so it is released. It's my first so no comparison.

How do you like it so far?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 motofrog

motofrog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144795
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

I really like it, it is a good size, very bright and user friendly. It locks on super fast i even get signal in my basement.

Just got the Zagg invisibleshield screen protector from amazon today (it's for the Garmin Edge 800 but as has been stated its the same size)

I was thinking about getting the Edge silicone skin case for it but passed as I like the thin size and it will slide in and out of packets easier without the cover. The back is already rubberized anyway.

Haven't been able to play a round yet. Hopefully Friday.

#33 motofrog

motofrog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144795

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

View Postgolffreaksimon, on 22 February 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

View Postmotofrog, on 22 February 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Anyone know why the garmin site has the G6 listed as not conforming toi USGA rules but the G5 is

I am not sure where you saw that G6 is not conforming to USGA. I check on FAQ and it shows all Approach series are compliant with USGA.

https://support.garm...b-000000000000}

That's good to see I was a little worried about it but I don't play in USGA competitions as I suck at the moment but I plan on getting better and like the option.

I saw it was not conforming when I compared the G6 to the G5 as seen in this link, if it works.

Garmin comparison

#34 dgn

dgn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81898
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

View Postmotofrog, on 22 February 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

I really like it, it is a good size, very bright and user friendly. It locks on super fast i even get signal in my basement.

Just got the Zagg invisibleshield screen protector from amazon today (it's for the Garmin Edge 800 but as has been stated its the same size)

I was thinking about getting the Edge silicone skin case for it but passed as I like the thin size and it will slide in and out of packets easier without the cover. The back is already rubberized anyway.

Haven't been able to play a round yet. Hopefully Friday.

That's good to know.  It seems like many GPS units don't show up well in bright sunlight.  Sounds like the G6 may have addressed that!

#35 emo

emo

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77946
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

there are a couple of good reviews on the garmin g6 at amazon.com if anyone is interested

#36 The Golfing Boy

The Golfing Boy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153201
  • Ebay ID:becksports14
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

The g6 is very small and mobile, but the screen is wonderful.  Love this unit GLWU.

#37 bosgolfer

bosgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29417

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Anyone try to add your own points on a course?  I was thinking of upgrading from the G5 just for that purpose.

#38 Gingerista

Gingerista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167937

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

Any comments on a comparison between the G6 and the SGXw? I was happy with GolfShot, but I can't use it in tournaments. I jumped on the SGXw because of the accuracy of being "course walked".

If they were the same price and there was no membership fees, would there be any advantage to go with the G6 over the SGXw?

#39 Funkey

Funkey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40781
  • Ebay ID:megolfen2
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

UPS is bringing mine today.  Looking out the window as we speak.  Review to come in a few days.

#40 emo

emo

Tour Winner

• 635 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

i took my garmin g6 out for the first eighteen holes today and it worked flawless. this unit was very easy to sync and keep score  by far my best purchse in the last five years.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 JustTheTips

JustTheTips

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139036
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

here is where the G6 is marked as noncompliant.  Garmin comparision I don't think that FAQ has been updated since the G6 was released. I think the G6 is illegal and violates 14-3/16 because of the club tracking ability that was added.

View Postmotofrog, on 22 February 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

View Postgolffreaksimon, on 22 February 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

View Postmotofrog, on 22 February 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Anyone know why the garmin site has the G6 listed as not conforming toi USGA rules but the G5 is

I am not sure where you saw that G6 is not conforming to USGA. I check on FAQ and it shows all Approach series are compliant with USGA.

https://support.garm...b-000000000000}

That's good to see I was a little worried about it but I don't play in USGA competitions as I suck at the moment but I plan on getting better and like the option.

I saw it was not conforming when I compared the G6 to the G5 as seen in this link, if it works.

Garmin comparison

#42 Linkkingx

Linkkingx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121288

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Can anybody expand on the scorecard aspect of the G6?  I currently use Golfshot and love how it automatically uploads my stats to the website and emails out scorecards.  Does the G6 save all of your stats and can they be downloaded to a computer?  How does this work, do they have a program that is installed on the computer?

Basically I'm just curious about the stat tracking features compared with Golfshot.  I"m contemplated either getting the Garmin S1 watch and keeping Golfshot to use as a scorecard, or just getting the G6 and losing Golfshot altogether.

Thanks

#43 Tedfroop

Tedfroop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172791

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostJustTheTips, on 19 March 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

I think the G6 is illegal and violates 14-3/16 because of the club tracking ability that was added.

No, it is allowed if you read the decision.  Yardage is public information which makes the club selection feature just like a note in a yardage book about how far you hit each club.  It only becomes illegal if you tell everyone what club you are hitting.

Linkkingx,  have a look at the S3...

Edited by Tedfroop, 04 April 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#44 pencilholder

pencilholder

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37726
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Got my G6 from Amazon on Thursday and took it out today for a round.  Easy to use, no problems reading the screen on a very bright day (with a 12 noon tee time, no less), and I had about 60% of battery left after the very slow 5 1/2 hour round.  Accurate distances too.  Just a simple, straightforward GPS that fits easily into my pocket.

#45 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82440
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

bought my daugther the skycaddie to complement by bushnell.  had problems with it plus it was slow screen to screen and difficult to use.  returned it for garmen 6.

very compact unit that can easily clip or fit in pocket.  can't wait to test on the course this week.  very easy touch screens.  looks very easy to use.

curious if anyone knows the accuracy of the garmens for back, middle, front green locations.  heard they can be off quite a bit like all gps but haven't seen any tests.  i will find out soon with my bushnell 1500 which i love, she just has problems still shooting the flags.

i went with skycadde with the thought of more expensive and more complicated so thought it should be better but in this case i think simpler and faster is better.  just curious about the accuracy tests.

Question - assume because my fingers are larger with the smaller screen it takes a few seconds to move the pin to the location i want.  Is there any easier / faster ways to get it more accurately like using a tee or stylus versus my finger.  i recalibrated but still the same.  Not saying it doesn't work just precision not as close with big fingers.

#46 mwmgolfx

mwmgolfx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294277
  • Handicap:6

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Accuracy issues are not with GPS but how accurately the courses are computed from satelite images.  If the company doing the mapping is not careful, it'll put the green in wrong or measure it incorrectly.  That's where 99% of the errors I've seen with GPS units come from.  A golfing buddy has the G6 and except for one hole where they had the green in the wrong place, it was very accurate.  And he loves it.  Small easy to use, mostly very very accurate.  We compared it with laser and my SGX that I know is good on a known course.

It's fast, small, easy to use with no subscription.  To be honest, if I didn't already have my GPX (and have had it for years), I'd switch.  It's that good.  Whether it'll stand-up for long term and extensive use is another question.  My buddy has gone thru 2-3 units where they just started having problems after 2-3 years.  My sky caddie is several years old now with literally hundreds of rounds on it.  

The garmin is an excellent choice and very very good unit.

#47 tbowles411

tbowles411

Sandra Gal is German from the nose up...

• 17,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1266

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

I owned the G3 and now own the G6.  It's much easier to use and not to mention the size difference.  As soon as I play with it more, I'll post a review, but so far so good.

#48 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

i am going to use the garmen g6 first this weekend.

testing it outside i already like it better than my wireless skycaddie.  it's just so much easier to use and its quick.  my skycaddie was so slow as i changed views.

i will shoot the distance too with my bushnell and compare.  just learned about a feature that not only tracks your distance but you select the club and it will store it for that club and keep your averages.

#49 FatChance

FatChance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50630

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have used my G6 for a couple rounds and am very happy with it.  I had been using an original iGolf Neo (had to pay to download courses) which worked OK but the G6 is much better (color, faster, more options, etc.).  The only issue is due to the touch screen.  I have tried a couple carrying holsters (Bodyglove, etc.) but the sensitive touch screen changes the view whenever I put it in or take it out and I have to go back to the screen view it had when I put it in the holster.  I have since gone to using the belt clip holder provided with the unit and it works fine.  I always worry about the security of such a holder but it has been secure and easy to use.

Edited by FatChance, 17 April 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#50 Dasenergi

Dasenergi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78093
  • Ebay ID:Dasenergi420
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

The g6 for me is the best out. It's small fast and light. The sgx hasn't even been turned on since I received the Garmin. I have tested the yardage against my laser and I have only seen one error and that hole has 2 greens they switch up. I don't even worry about it anymore and haven't had any other issues with yardages +/- 1 yard. The size and weight is great and I don't feel it in my pocket while swinging which is a must.

I highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade.

Edited by Dasenergi, 18 April 2012 - 05:13 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:9.1

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Can anyone compare this to the UproMx? I like having the actual course shots/views in promode and wonder how the "sketches" of each hole are.
TM SLDR 10.5 - Adlila Tour Blue TX
TM RBZ 14.5* - Aldila Tour Blue TX
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Cleveland RTG 52*/56*/60*
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#52 Solutions Etcetera

Solutions Etcetera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33999
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

You can see good examples of the hole drawings on the Garmin site. While the photos on the uPro are cool, I find many courses tough to see due to poor contrast or hidden in shadows. The Garmin illustrations are easier to read.

#53 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:9.1

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

And on the plus side I imagine it might be quicker to load and take up less battery power to process the "cartoon" sketches. I can see a lot of positives in terms of power savings by not processing the aerial photos all of the time.
TM SLDR 10.5 - Adlila Tour Blue TX
TM RBZ 14.5* - Aldila Tour Blue TX
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Cleveland RTG 52*/56*/60*
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#54 Antnee94

Antnee94

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162839
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'm still using the original garmin device that they made for golf logix. i love that one. I also downloaded the golf logix app for iphone. impressed with all the scoring and tracking data, but the original garmin device is superior.

this review/thread was very helpful to me. i'm going to  stick with my dinosaur like device until garmin makes a newer version.
Titleist 913 D2, D+
15/19 TM RBZ FW, Fujikura Rombax Type X
Adam Idea A12 Hybrid (21), D+ HY92
Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
Vokey Spin Mill, 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60
Nike Method 001, 33i

#55 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

love my small garmin 6.  unfortunately in the middle of last round the yardages went crazy.  Not even close - like 200 yards off.  Turned it off then on and still the same.

Tried again this morning and still the same.

Anyone know how reboot / reset the unit so the gps gets corrected?  I have full power and full gps also.

#56 kitsoasis

kitsoasis

fried chicken

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38807
  • Ebay ID:kitsoasis
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

got mine today, charged it and updated all the courses so it'll be good to go on friday morning when i play, can't wait to try it out!

not sure why our units in Australia get the carabina instead of the belt clip? i guess it looks alright though

Posted Image

#57 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

View Postkitsoasis, on 02 May 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

got mine today, charged it and updated all the courses so it'll be good to go on friday morning when i play, can't wait to try it out!

not sure why our units in Australia get the carabina instead of the belt clip? i guess it looks alright though

Posted Image

A strong suggestion!  Do NOT leave the device on your bag prior to teeing off on the first hole.  GPS devices have a way of "growing legs" - if you know what I mean.

#58 todd_i

todd_i

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55756

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Rather than renewing my skycaddie, I jumped ship and moved to the Garmin G6.   I've used it for a few rounds, and it seems good, but I'm still getting used to some of the differences.

One area that I'm hoping can be optimized is the scoring.  Maybe I'm missing some config options.

1. It can score for up to 4 people.   But, I typically keep only my score.  If I am in a group of 4, we typically do it on a score card so all can have access to it.   But, with the G6, inputting score is a two step process: select golfer then input score. Can I tell it to forget about golfers 2-4, and just go right to the score input?

2. How can I get a summary view of all all the holes in the round?  Skycaddie has a nice view for this, where is will show your score on each hole, or your + / - relative to par on each hole.   It also make it easy to see if I missed inputting score on a hole.   On the G6, I have to scroll through each hole to see the score, there is no complete round view.

Has anyone found any better solutions to the above issues?

#59 emo

emo

Tour Winner

• 635 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

View Posttodd_i, on 20 May 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Rather than renewing my skycaddie, I jumped ship and moved to the Garmin G6.   I've used it for a few rounds, and it seems good, but I'm still getting used to some of the differences.

One area that I'm hoping can be optimized is the scoring.  Maybe I'm missing some config options.

1. It can score for up to 4 people.   But, I typically keep only my score.  If I am in a group of 4, we typically do it on a score card so all can have access to it.   But, with the G6, inputting score is a two step process: select golfer then input score.    Can I tell it to forget about golfers 2-4, and just go right to the score input?

2. How can I get a summary view of all all the holes in the round?  Skycaddie has a nice view for this, where is will show your score on each hole, or your + / - relative to par on each hole.   It also make it easy to see if I missed inputting score on a hole.      On the G6, I have to scroll through each hole to see the score, there is no complete round view.

Has anyone found any better solutions to the above issues?

you can view the rounds by pushing the on and off half way. let me know   if help

#60 golfnut-2X

golfnut-2X

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

i love the new g6.  unfortunately it pops off the belt clip frequently.  any suggestions?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors