Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

NewGen's Gamers "Bomb & Gouge" Edition V2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
740 replies to this topic

#601 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132640
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Get my mindset down: it's just another round of golf anyway.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#602 Cameron Circle T

Cameron Circle T

The Doc

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9050

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostNewGeneration, on 24 May 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

I've got a few kinks to work out and I am focusing on the swing right now so I can not worry about it later.
Today I plan on putting a lot. I know it's too swing focused right now but this is my off season, high school golf is my competition season and by this upcoming season I won't be worried about my swing..
I like working on my shortgame, but I'm taking this one step at a time.

You'll always be worrying about your swing. You won't necessarily always be making big changes, but no ones swing is always 100% consistent. There is a reason so many guys on tour have their swing coach at so many tournaments. Bad habits just creep in, and they're hard to diagnose and eliminate completely without an extra pair of eyes sometime. If you spend your time trying to perfect your swing, then chipping and putting, then your course game, then work on tournaments, you'll be in your 20's before you have any real golf experience...

You really can't teach someone how to play in tournaments. Sports psychologists attempt to teach you a frame of mind so that you dont mind f*** yourself on the course, but even they will tell you, you can't be taught something in theory that you don't put into practice very often....Play lots of rounds walking, and play lots of crappy tournaments - anything you can find. Your physiologic responses to pressure will slowly diminish, particularly once you learn to get yourself out of trouble, because I can guarantee you, s*** will go sideways at some point in a tournament, and the difference between finishing well and DFL is knowing how to get yourself out of that.

Just what my 16 years of competitive golf and 19 years of playing golf (I'm older than the "Jr." in mod squad would suggest) has taught me. Take it for what it's worth to you.

Edited by Cameron Circle T, 24 May 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#603 Redpro

Redpro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107190
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Easier said than done, but when one is sticking with one swing and not looking to improve then I guess it might.. I'm trying to get my swing to the consistency / quality of a tour swing... Then I'll pitch, putt, and play more.
[/quote]

Comments like this keep me coming back to read NewGen's blog for the entertainment value.
[/quote]

Same here. It's more like a teen drama than a WITB. But it's fading fast . . heck, he seems to be having fun with himself.

#604 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostNewGeneration, on 24 May 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

I've got a few kinks to work out and I am focusing on the swing right now so I can not worry about it later.
Today I plan on putting a lot. I know it's too swing focused right now but this is my off season, high school golf is my competition season and by this upcoming season I won't be worried about my swing..
I like working on my shortgame, but I'm taking this one step at a time.

If you want to play college golf, this should be your main competition season.

#605 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm playing Atlanta tournaments this summer.. People on here make me seem so clueless.
I post here 99% from my IPhone, which is on me whenever I'm not playing golf, I know golf isn't over night but I think I'm doing pretty well after only one year..
I'm going to work hard this summer with everything, I'm not unable to play in tournaments right now, I'm shooting the same scores, but if I work harder chipping and putting and just keep working with my coaches on my swing I'll go low a lot faster.
You have to have a good swing to play golf, shortgame is not the only element. I know it's important but they're equally important. I'm doing both, but full swing is what I am currently working on.

#606 Team Ping

Team Ping

Coldplay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44776
  • Ebay ID:thkbh
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

I work harder chipping and putting and just keep working with my coaches on my swing I'll go low a lot faster.

Going low isnt all skill. Going low is a mindset, one that not many people have. I dont care who you are, but if you get 2 under and start thinking, youll loose it. No coach can TEACH mental toughness. You have to learn that on your own. Tournament rounds arent "just another round" cause every pro would take it deep if it WERE just another round. The example of Stratton is great, he gets the ball in the hole.

Going low involves skill, but thats only about 49 percent of the equation. 49% skill, 49% mentality, 2% luck
Titleist 910 D3 Voodoo XNS7
Titleist 910 Fd RIP Gamma
Titleist 906f2 V2
Titleist 660 3-PW Tour Issue X100
TVD 54, 60 TOur Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless 2.5

#607 Jtraskal

Jtraskal

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108368
  • Ebay ID:jtgolf12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

I did my process the exact opposite of you. I started out with no swing coaches and just learned how to play golf and have fun. This will be my 4th summer playing golf and Ive got my self about as far as I can with no real instruction. Ive managed to learn how to play golf to my style and I've came up with a way to chip and putt that fits me. In this short time I've gotten down to a 5 handicap and ill be the first to admit there is no way I lower that at all without a coach. But I think most of these posts are right... Its almost more important to know HOW to PLAY golf rather than SWING a golf club. (btw I think my swing is awful Posted Image)

#608 ckay

ckay

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14808
  • Ebay ID:birdies_and_eagles
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Just checked out your vid...nice swing man.  Keep it up.
Taylormade R1 V2 Tour Spec 7.2
Taylormade RBZ 17.5* Diamana Shaqx
Adams Pro Black 20* Ozik Altus
TM R9 TP B 4-PW X100
WITB Link
34/350 Odyssey ProType 6
51/55/60 588 Raw Custom Grinds

#609 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

View Postckay, on 24 May 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Thanks. I hate my swing. There is so much wrong with it.

#610 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 1943

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostNewGeneration, on 24 May 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Not bad.... Nothing a good swing coach can't fix.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#611 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

I actually like my swing, I've worked really hard to get it and I'm always complimented for it, but my old coach is taught a release, like Luke Donald does, and I love that, it lets me relax my wrists and feel smooth, and the new coach doesn't want my hands turning like that... I'm going to quiet the release, but getting rid of it would KILL me.
My buddy took a video of me teeing off today and I like what I'm doing with my swing, but the release after impact is essential to me.
I played a bit today, my favorite shot was after a terrible drive that I hit low heel, I had 250+ to the hole, lined up and hit a high soft 4 wood that flew onto the green and stopped within 20 feet.. Haven't hit a shot that pure in a while..

#612 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

I know my left foot came up, that seems to happen with my driver sometimes.

#613 elay95

elay95

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131883
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

How many GIR do you have on average in 18 holes? just wondering.

#614 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postelay95, on 24 May 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

It's been a while since I have kept track of it..

#615 elay95

elay95

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostNewGeneration, on 24 May 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

View Postelay95, on 24 May 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

It's been a while since I have kept track of it..

You should start. it's the stat that'll show you how well you're really hitting it. and how many more times you need to get up and down. realistically if your hitting 9 greens and getting up and down around 50% of the time then you're shooting 74-78. It really will show you how bad your short game is. Not pointing you out or anything in saying that.  But when I started keeping track I thought I had a decent short game, then realized I only got up and down about 25% of the time... That's where you can really lower the scores. I've hit 3 greens and shot even before... around the greens is where you can really cut the strokes down.

#616 elay95

elay95

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Wait do you keep track of putts? you can just figure your GIR's from there

#617 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Oh yeah, I have done it before, but usually my rounds are quick 9 holes in between hitting chipping and putting.
Soon I will start getting very organized, tomorrow is my last day of school, then I get a summer of golfing, need to get some nice shirts, because it's going to get hot this summer..
Have 2.5 dozen TP3's too.. Looking good from right here.
I rolled my coach's TM Ghost Spider CS with a fat grip... I was rolling it really smooth, I might pick up a Ghost putter, than insert seems to put a nice roll on the ball, and they all feel really soft.

#618 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostNewGeneration, on 24 May 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

View PostNewGeneration, on 24 May 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I actually like my swing, I've worked really hard to get it and I'm always complimented for it, but my old coach is taught a release, like Luke Donald does, and I love that, it lets me relax my wrists and feel smooth, and the new coach doesn't want my hands turning like that... I'm going to quiet the release, but getting rid of it would KILL me.
My buddy took a video of me teeing off today and I like what I'm doing with my swing, but the release after impact is essential to me.
I played a bit today, my favorite shot was after a terrible drive that I hit low heel, I had 250+ to the hole, lined up and hit a high soft 4 wood that flew onto the green and stopped within 20 feet.. Haven't hit a shot that pure in a while..

Best thread on wrx!

To be honest your progress is excellent but a few other items need to be adjusted!
Good luck this summer.

#619 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

[/quote]

Best thread on wrx!

To be honest your progress is excellent but a few other items need to be adjusted!
Good luck this summer.
[/quote]

HA I actually laughed at that, today was the last day of school and I went straight to the course, hit a few shots, putted and chipped for a while, then left. I've realized that I'm going to have to hit the course at around 7 to not burn to death, and then go home around 10-12 and swim (laps) and then relax until it's around 6 to go back to the course, mid day heat in Georgia is hotter every year..

I think my swing alone, is good enough to take me into the 70's, but I have to learn to chip and putt very well.

I also learned today, that it's impossible to hit a large amount of balls when it's this hot with no shade and not start hitting terrible shots.

Looking at a new putter pretty hard in the pro-shop.. Belly putter was a quick fix, but I need to switch back and let my coaches teach me how to putt.

#620 DGolferx15

DGolferx15

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131440
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Dude stick with the belly putter if you had your first rounds in the 30's with it dont fix what aint broke!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#621 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

I've been rolling a short putter better recently, I'm going to keep the belly, but I want a short one too, the belly has shown me how to make a good stroke, and how it feels, as Hambone1 said it did for him too, so now when I have a short putter in hands, I can make a better stroke than I could before.

#622 ochowie

ochowie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176584
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostDeerslayer, on 24 May 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

NG,  I will throw my 2 cents into this conversation. I think there are some very good and valid recommendations for you in this thread. I think KGLefty touched on it pretty well. If I were advising you, it would definitely to spend less time pounding balls and more time developing your "game"
Stratton's car is a has guzzling machine. He drives 15 miles to school every day and 15 miles back. He never asks for gas money and he doesn't get an allowance. He will tell you, his job is playing golf. Though he spends a ton of time practicing, he breaks it up and spends as much time around the practice green as range and almost as much time too on the course playing. Nearly always when he is playing, there is something riding on it as well. Every time he plays, there is pressure, I have no doubt that this helps him in tournament play.  You have heard that pressure is having $5 in your wallet and making a $20 bet.   There is something to that. I am not saying go out and gamble, but go out and put some meaning or pressure behind your play and work. Have chipping and putting contests with others, it doesn't have to be for money, but it should be for something. A LOT of the time you can watch Stratton on the range and he is hitting it horrible (his standards) and he will go tee it up 5 min later in a tournament and not miss a shot.  This is focus.  He isn't obsessed with what his swing or positions in his swing are, he is possessed with getting the ball in the hole. Worry less about your swing and work on developing "your game"

Wait I'm confused by this post and I am going to try and tread carefully. But are you saying that you (more or less) encourage Stratton to hustle people on the course for his gas money?

#623 Mikey K

Mikey K

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136112
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

View Postochowie, on 25 May 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

NG,  I will throw my 2 cents into this conversation. I think there are some very good and valid recommendations for you in this thread. I think KGLefty touched on it pretty well. If I were advising you, it would definitely to spend less time pounding balls and more time developing your "game"
Stratton's car is a has guzzling machine. He drives 15 miles to school every day and 15 miles back. He never asks for gas money and he doesn't get an allowance. He will tell you, his job is playing golf. Though he spends a ton of time practicing, he breaks it up and spends as much time around the practice green as range and almost as much time too on the course playing. Nearly always when he is playing, there is something riding on it as well. Every time he plays, there is pressure, I have no doubt that this helps him in tournament play.  You have heard that pressure is having $5 in your wallet and making a $20 bet.   There is something to that. I am not saying go out and gamble, but go out and put some meaning or pressure behind your play and work. Have chipping and putting contests with others, it doesn't have to be for money, but it should be for something. A LOT of the time you can watch Stratton on the range and he is hitting it horrible (his standards) and he will go tee it up 5 min later in a tournament and not miss a shot.  This is focus.  He isn't obsessed with what his swing or positions in his swing are, he is possessed with getting the ball in the hole. Worry less about your swing and work on developing "your game"

Wait I'm confused by this post and I am going to try and tread carefully. But are you saying that you (more or less) encourage Stratton to hustle people on the course for his gas money?

Not hustle, just a friendly challenge....

#624 PINGWRXforeme

PINGWRXforeme

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117189
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

9 seconds over the ball before commitment. Let the swing thoughts go and let the unconscious mind do the swinging. We got a playing partner to address the ball and swing, he shot 32 for 9 hole. My lowest round ever was played in 2.5 hrs. Didn't have time to think. Try it in a practice round.

#625 ochowie

ochowie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostMikey K, on 25 May 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

View Postochowie, on 25 May 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

Not hustle, just a friendly challenge....

Again, I am going to tread carefully so someone can tell me if I'm out of line. That said, I don't consider it a friendly challenge when one person is playing to fill his car up with gas.

Edited by ochowie, 25 May 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#626 Mikey K

Mikey K

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136112
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postochowie, on 25 May 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

Again, I am going to tread carefully so someone can tell me if I'm out of line. That said, I don't consider it a friendly challenge when one person is playing to fill his car up with gas.

He might have been kidding, but I think he trusts his son to know what he is doing and make sure he knows that if he loses the deal, then he will be walking home. Helps him learn how to control himself under pressure. Which will make him (might make him) perform better in tournaments.

#627 PINGWRXforeme

PINGWRXforeme

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117189
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Breck doesn't seem that tough on Stratton. Make him play for gas money? Really?
I'm just glad that New gens WITB turned into nothing about his clubs! I'm sure he is too.

#628 ochowie

ochowie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostPINGWRXforeme, on 25 May 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

Breck doesn't seem that tough on Stratton. Make him play for gas money? Really?
I'm just glad that New gens WITB turned into nothing about his clubs! I'm sure he is too.

I would guess you're right and I think it was a joke. With that said, I have contributed more than my fair share to derailing this thread and will stick to only comments about the WITB.

#629 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

It's cool, I enjoy sharing my progress, I'll get a few new clubs here and there and post pics, (like the hand ground Scratch wedge by Jeff McCoy)

And I am probably going to have a new putter pretty soon here. I have it pretty easy, I love my life, my only responsibility is to pass my classes and get good at golf is how I see it, I am not yet good enough to play for any money, a 15 handicap isn't bad for playing 1 year though.

I worked alot at the range today, found a new ball position for my driver I'm going to work with (further forward) to help me not hit down on the ball so much and have more room for the lag to decrease before impact.

I was doing better than I ever have from 160 and in while practicing on the range, especially from 100 in, didn't putt well on the practice green, (it's been recently punched) and I chipped well but the ball wouldn't stop on the punched green.

I really need to add lead tape to my driver, I had it cut down to 44.25" and it's only C8 swingweight, (yikes) I want it around D1.

Also still hunting for a scratch wedge head in 58 to pair with my newly aquired 53.. Put my KBS tours in them and I'd be set.

#630 ochowie

ochowie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostNewGeneration, on 25 May 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

It's cool, I enjoy sharing my progress, I'll get a few new clubs here and there and post pics, (like the hand ground Scratch wedge by Jeff McCoy)

And I am probably going to have a new putter pretty soon here. I have it pretty easy, I love my life, my only responsibility is to pass my classes and get good at golf is how I see it, I am not yet good enough to play for any money, a 15 handicap isn't bad for playing 1 year though.

I worked alot at the range today, found a new ball position for my driver I'm going to work with (further forward) to help me not hit down on the ball so much and have more room for the lag to decrease before impact.

I was doing better than I ever have from 160 and in while practicing on the range, especially from 100 in, didn't putt well on the practice green, (it's been recently punched) and I chipped well but the ball wouldn't stop on the punched green.

I really need to add lead tape to my driver, I had it cut down to 44.25" and it's only C8 swingweight, (yikes) I want it around D1.

Also still hunting for a scratch wedge head in 58 to pair with my newly aquired 53.. Put my KBS tours in them and I'd be set.

I've been thinking about ordering up some Scratch wedges as well. I'm wondering if they would do a set PW-GW-56-60 and if that would make sense. I'll be interested to hear how you like your custom set.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors