Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My Taylor Made RBZ 3-wood review

40 replies to this topic

#1 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi all,

So thanks to "my peeps", I was able to demo the new Taylor Made RBZ 3-wood (stock stiff) on the course during this past weekend.  The weather was phenomenal here in San Francisco, and the course (TPC Harding Park) is in outstanding shape.  This made for an excellent demo over several days... off the tee, off the fwy, and out of light and deep rough as well. This is NOT an Editor's review of the RBZ.  Just mine.

I'm pretty much as unbiased as it gets with the 3-wood, of all the clubs in my bag.  I currently game a 15* Diablo Edge Tour w/ NV75 stiff.  Prior to that, I was using a Sonartec 15* GS Tour w/ stock stiff shaft, as well as a 15* FT fwy w/ Speeder 757 stiff.  And prior to that it was a Titleist 906f2 & Taylor Made 200 Steel (my trusty for quite a while).  So basically, I have NO allegiance to one particular brand... is the point I'm trying to make.  Whichever works for me, regardless of brand, is what I bag when it comes to the 3-wood.

Just a little about myself as well: I'm a 6 handi that at times can show flashes of brilliance (-2 through 9 holes) and at time show flashes of being a hack (+8 through 9).  Distance has never been an issue, more accuracy/control than anything else.  

Also, during this testing, I used the same ball, the Pro V1X (my ball of choice).

Pros:  
- The RBZ sets up behind the ball really well.  
- The white head/black face really frames the ball quite nicely in every situation.  
- The larger head will inspire confidence for many (although I'm quite use to my DET profile).  
- The head/shaft combo is well balanced, even with a stock XCon5 stiff being in there.
- High launch!  Off the tee, fwy and rough.  You name it.
- Great, unique sound at impact!  You'd think you'd KILLED the ball.

Cons:
- Stock stiff shaft is not (in my opinioni) well suited for higher swing speed players.
- Higher spin.  For me.

Overall:

Well (sorry for the wordiness, I'm trying my best), for ME, the RBZ did not give me the "magical 17 yards) longer than my gamer.  But that's just for me.  I had a good friend hit it while on the course, and for HIM, it WILL give him 17 more yards easily.  He's a much slower swing speed, and I've seen him hit a 3-wood.  He can bare get the thing off the ground.  He's an older gentleman, and a good golfer too.  With the RBZ in his hands, he made "magic".  So much so, that he was ready to break out his wallet right then and there to buy it from me.  LOL...  No joke though.  I'd never witnessed him hit a 3-wood so HIGH, and so long with a nice gentle draw.

But back to me.....  LOL...

For me, the RBZ was at times shorter than my gamer and at times 5 yards longer than my gamer, so bascially a bit of a wash from the "pure distance" point of view.  Case in point, off the tee, I was 15 yards longer than the RBZ, but I attribute that to having a much better shaft in my gamer, suited for me, than the XCon5, which I spun a lot.

Off the fwy, the RBZ begs to hit a little draw with.  It just BEGS to.  I can hit a draw or a cut with my DET, and I like that a lot.  My cut with my DET is about 5 yards behind the draw with my RBZ, mainly due to the higher spin and much higher trajectory of the RBZ.

Out of the rough, the RBZ just GLIDES through it.  I'm not kidding.  I flushed several and hit a few behind, and the sole helps the club just glide right through it.  Very similar to my DET.

The sound at impact is very powerful.  TM got this right.  It's a higher pitched sound, but a real pleasing one (at least to me).  It won't be confused with a 906f2, but not much will for that matter.  BUT, the sound is very sweet.  

Trajectory:  HIGH!  Did I say HIGH, I meant "can scale tall buildings with a single leap HIGH!"  Seriously, if one could couple this head with a low spin shaft, it JUST might borderline on "ludricrous".  Maybe even a Fujikura Motore F3 80, Diamana Blueboard 83, or NV75 would do the trick.

I'm going to bet that the RBZ Tour fwy will be special, given the heavier weight and smaller profile. I did find that I prefer the smaller profile of my DET, for what it's worth.

I think TM will do really well with those that struggle to elevate their current 3-wood, or those that hit more of fade and want to turn that bad boy into a draw.

Hope you've enjoyed this (and I haven't put you to sleep yet).

Cheers!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4664

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Terrific job Golfware. Thanks for the thorough and unbiased review. :-)
Hey...be nice.

#3 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostSean2, on 18 January 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

Thx for the kind words.  Yeah, when it comes to the 3-wood, it usually had the longest tenure in my bag as good ones are hard to come by, at least for me.  I'll use any brand provided it works for me.

#4 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

View Postgolfware, on 18 January 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Thx for the kind words.  Yeah, when it comes to the 3-wood, it usually had the longest tenure in my bag as good ones are hard to come by, at least for me.  I'll use any brand provided it works for me.
I hear what you're saying. I'm closing in on 57, and my SS probably isn't the fastest. I'll be taking a good look at the 17º RBZ 3-wood (HL version). To me this would be a bit easier to hit off the fairway, and I wouldn't lose too much off the tee, as opposed to the 15º, which I might find a tad more difficult to hit off the fairway.

Edited by Sean2, 18 January 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Hey...be nice.

#5 DarkStewie

DarkStewie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114621
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think a lot of stock 3 wood shafts aren't stiff enough for a high SS player. If only I could get past the white head...

#6 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostSean2, on 18 January 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

I hear what you're saying. I'm closing in on 57, and my SS probably isn't the fastest. I'll be taking a good look at the 17 RBZ 3-wood (HL version). To me this would be a bit easier to hit off the fairway, and I wouldn't lose too much off the tee, as opposed to the 15, which I might find a tad more difficult to hit off the fairway.

For what it's worth, my buddy (who's an older gentleman) is probably in his late 60's/early 70's.  He hit the 15* like it was nothing off the fairway.

#7 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postgolfware, on 18 January 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 18 January 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

I hear what you're saying. I'm closing in on 57, and my SS probably isn't the fastest. I'll be taking a good look at the 17 RBZ 3-wood (HL version). To me this would be a bit easier to hit off the fairway, and I wouldn't lose too much off the tee, as opposed to the 15, which I might find a tad more difficult to hit off the fairway.

For what it's worth, my buddy (who's an older gentleman) is probably in his late 60's/early 70's.  He hit the 15* like it was nothing off the fairway.
I'll check that out too. Thanks!
Hey...be nice.

#8 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• 9,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 3044

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thank you for taking the time- I enjoyed the read.

I look forward to testing the tour head.

#9 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yeah, me too.  I'm looking forward to the RBZ Tour with a heavier shaft.  That might be the "bees knees".

#10 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Oh, and don't let the R11 TP headcover fool you.  That is in the back-up bag right now.  My gamer is a Razr Hawk Tour/Speeder 652.  LOL....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 wolfpack

wolfpack

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89944
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Nice review.
Cobra Bio Cell 12* White Tie 6x3
RBZ Tour 5 Rip Beta 80X
V-Steel 7 Wood Rombax 75X
Ping Eye 2+ BECU 4-PW JZ stiff
TM Rac 58 Y/ Eye 2+ SW
Ping Scottsdale TR Anser T

#12 scratch72

scratch72

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5131
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Golfware, You said you found the trajectory to be very high but Golf Digest Hot list panel thought it was a little low for them. Now Im really confused but thanks for the review.

#13 whatsthecourserecord

whatsthecourserecord

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6716
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Good read.  Thanks for your time.
Xhot 9.5* open setting D+ 72X
TM Stage 2 14.5* Oban Revenge 8X
Adams Super DHY 18* Ozik White HX3X
Ping I20 3-P CFS X with cushin
Ping Rustique 52 Cally Xforged 58 S400
Scotty Select Newport 2

#14 keithrichards

keithrichards

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104260
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I am sure many have already heard this but supposedly Tour Van guys say that the toughest club to get out of a Tour Players bag is the 3-wood.  Great review.....
Adams 9015d 9* F6M2 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5 Tour Green stif
PING Rapture DI stock stiff
Nike Covert Tour Pro 21 KK stiff
PING s55 4-pw KBS Tour stiff
PING Anser 54/60 DG Spinner

#15 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

View Postscratch72, on 18 January 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Golfware, You said you found the trajectory to be very high but Golf Digest Hot list panel thought it was a little low for them. Now Im really confused but thanks for the review.

Well, those guys may have been smoking something (for medicinal purposes only of course).

I have varying handicaps hit it, from myself (6), to a current Div. IA collegiate golfer, to an older "weekend warrior".  And they all hit it higher than their "gamer".

#16 bldolat

bldolat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116598
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the review.

#17 Johnny T

Johnny T

GolfWRX True Temper Test Panel

• 1,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77624
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Nice write-up...and thanks for the comparison pics!
Callaway Big Bertha V - Tour AD DJ-6
Callaway X Hot Pro - PXv
Nike Covert Tour - Kuro Kage 80
Titleist AP2 714 - Modus3 130
Nike VR Forged 54/58 - S400
Odyssey Versa #2 WBW

#18 grant_the_tank

grant_the_tank

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37931
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Great review and pics. I'm wondering how this will compare the the Mizuno MX-700 fairway. That 3-wood had a large head at 190cc, was easy to launch high, and coupled with the right shaft was a bomber. I believe Jonathan Byrd still bags one. Would be fun to try an RBZ with my old R9 fairway shafts.  Doh! Only the RBZ driver is adjustable. Too bad.

Edited by grant_the_tank, 18 January 2012 - 08:07 PM.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* Fubuki ZT 60x
Cobra AMP 15* AD DI 70x
Cobra AMP 19* AD DI 80x
Callaway X-Prototype 4-PW PX 6.0
Callaway X-Forged 52* & 56*
Odyssey Versa Metal X Milled #7

#19 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1261

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for the review.  I cannot wait to try this thing out.  It better be good with all the hype it is getting...

#20 XHILR8N

XHILR8N

Tree Trimmer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75653
  • Ebay ID:mytight95
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

Really hoping these are what thy are made out to be.  J plan on puttin the driver, fairway and hybrid in the bag this year.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Green Valley

Green Valley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106187
  • Ebay ID:tlaureto
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

great post thank you for the feed back!

#22 Golfwolf

Golfwolf

Major Winner

• 2,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2884
  • Handicap:13.7
  • Ebay ID:lonewolf8074
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

Nice review, thanks for that. I also play a DET 3W which I like very much but it has the stock shaft in R flex. I am thinking about the RBZ 3W, the X-Con shaft could be a good fit for me.
Callaway Big Bertha 10.5
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25 hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54/58
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

#23 johnny5gti

johnny5gti

RAIDER NATION

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101453
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:22 AM

Great review! Another local wrxer near me!

#24 Qegurezi

Qegurezi

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29176
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

Nice info. The RBZ with a heavier stiffer tipped shaft would be interesting for you, the RBZ Tour with a suitable shaft maybe even more so.

#25 andef

andef

Go Pack Go!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97237
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

Great review! You would probably have been  better off with the RBZ Tour though, as the stock shaft on that is a XCon 7.
Can't wait to try it, hopefully I'll get a change to hit it with shafts in the 80 gram range.

#26 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Thx!  If you go into your demo expecting a 17-yard gain, you may be disappointed, actually quite disgusted.  But if you go into your demo just wanting to get a higher ballflight and experience that sweet feel, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.  The FEEL is real sweet, IMHGO.  

Yes, I'm looking forward to trying it with a heavier shaft and the RBZ Tour.  I'm willing to be that will be THE GOLDEN TICKET to the Chocolate Factory.

#27 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• 7,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
GolfWRX Likes : 1642

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

Great review, thanks. The RBZ line might be the what finally pushes me to own a white club, but it looks deeper than I want in a FW. How was the RBZ off the deck vs the DET in terms of playability? Sounds like the higher spin and launch made it easy to elevate.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*, GD DI-7x
TEE CB5 15*, Fujikura Rombax P95
TEE CB Pro-h 21*
Callaway X-Prototypes, DG
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

#28 Robbky40

Robbky40

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105149
  • Ebay ID:Robcarla
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

To me it sounds as though you lost distance because the ball flight was too high. Now I am curious, how will this club perform with a ADDI 7s or even an 8? I am killing my R11 3 wood but the shaft has made a big difference in performance but not distance.

View Postgolfware, on 19 January 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Thx!  If you go into your demo expecting a 17-yard gain, you may be disappointed, actually quite disgusted.  But if you go into your demo just wanting to get a higher ballflight and experience that sweet feel, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.  The FEEL is real sweet, IMHGO.  

Yes, I'm looking forward to trying it with a heavier shaft and the RBZ Tour.  I'm willing to be that will be THE GOLDEN TICKET to the Chocolate Factory.

#29 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 1488

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Can't wait to test this guy out again my new Nike VR Pro Limited 3 wood.  Can't imagine it's better.  If it is I will be STUNNED.  The nike is a MONSTER.  And it's amazing how great it is off the tee and the deck.  Perfect combo.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#30 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostPuppetmaster, on 19 January 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

Great review, thanks. The RBZ line might be the what finally pushes me to own a white club, but it looks deeper than I want in a FW. How was the RBZ off the deck vs the DET in terms of playability? Sounds like the higher spin and launch made it easy to elevate.

To be candid, I still feel as though my DET is easier to hit off the deck than the RBZ.  I don't hit larger-headed 3-woods off the deck that well.  And yes, the face is deeper than the DET.  I also noticed that first thing.  This isn't to say that it's HARD to hit the RBZ off the deck, as it wasn't.  But I did find that, for me, the DET was easier.  And for me, it was easier to work the DET as well.  The RBZ begs to hit a little draw (altough I could overcook that a bit too due to the higher spin).

Hope that helps...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors