Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Question about shafts in Ping irons.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 buteman

buteman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153613
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:04 AM

Has anyone ever had to make a decision regarding what type of steel shafts to choose in a set of Ping irons ( Project X or CFS ) ?
I've had a couple of opinions one pro and the other con regarding the Project X,,the negative opinion on the Project X shafts was that they were not worth the additional $173.00 over the Ping CFS shafts.
It's possible I may be asked when I go for my Ping fitting what type of shaft I would like in my irons,,,,I'm a senior golfer and my swing speed is around 93 mph.
Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tomg1969

tomg1969

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37110
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

When you go for the fitting you should have an opportunity to try both shafts and they will probably produce pretty different results. Both shafts are very good as long as they are a good fit for you.
Project X has a very different feel and people usually either love it or hate it. The CFS shafts are a little more "middle of the road" and in my opinion will be a good fit for a larger percentage of golfers.

#3 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 961

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Of course, which shaft you select is a choice open to you.  Usually this choice is based on performance or maybe feel differences noted during a fitting session involving hitting some demos.  

CFS is getting rave reviews these days.  Unless you just flat out fall in love with Project X I doubt you will find them worth the money.

#4 pingman1

pingman1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6229
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

I am a senior golfer, as well, and the stock CFS in my G20's works great for me. The PX felt too stiff for me, they were 5.0 flex and did not feel as good as the CFS.

#5 the seanna

the seanna

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26147
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

If you try project x and like them get them quick. There being discontinued very soon.  Found out yesterday from a very legit source... Titleist has already taken them off there upgrade offerings..

#6 buteman

buteman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

View Postpingman1, on 08 January 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

I am a senior golfer, as well, and the stock CFS in my G20's works great for me. The PX felt too stiff for me, they were 5.0 flex and did not feel as good as the CFS.
Thanks for you reply, nice to hear from a fellow senior golfer and especially one who has the Ping G20's. I have some questions, I hope you don't mind. How long have you been playing Ping clubs ? when did you get the G20's and why did you choose that particular model ?
I told the fitter that I really liked the G20's with the graphite shaft, he said the G20's were just a excellent golf club but after observing my swing when he helped fit me for a driver his recommendation was to stay with a regular flex steel shaft.
I would be interested in your opinion of the G20's overall,,,do you have 4-gap wedge in your irons ?

Regards, buteman.

#7 buteman

buteman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

View Postthe seanna, on 08 January 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

If you try project x and like them get them quick. There being discontinued very soon.  Found out yesterday from a very legit source... Titleist has already taken them off there upgrade offerings..

Thanks for your reply,,,seems rather strange ( to me anyway ) that a shaft that has arrived and has had ( for the most part ) rave reviews is being discontinued. If that is the case then I would suggest that there must be some underlying issues with that equipment.
I do know that I was told by the Ping club fitter that the additional cost of the PX shaft over Ping's CFS shaft was qite simply not worth the money at all.

Regards, buteman.

#8 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 961

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

Project X isn't going away, there is a second generation model coming.

G20 has a 45 degree PW, so you should plan your wedges accordingly.  If you want to use a 54-56* SW, then a Gap wedge is recommended (U-wedge is 50*).  Another choice is to use a 52* wedge along with a 58*.  It depends on your personal preference.

In terms of graphite for a senior, I like this idea.  If you liked the light weight feel and don't mind paying the up charge, then get them.

#9 pingman1

pingman1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6229
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

View Postbuteman, on 08 January 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

View Postpingman1, on 08 January 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Thanks for you reply, nice to hear from a fellow senior golfer and especially one who has the Ping G20's. I have some questions, I hope you don't mind. How long have you been playing Ping clubs ? when did you get the G20's and why did you choose that particular model ?
I told the fitter that I really liked the G20's with the graphite shaft, he said the G20's were just a excellent golf club but after observing my swing when he helped fit me for a driver his recommendation was to stay with a regular flex steel shaft.
I would be interested in your opinion of the G20's overall,,,do you have 4-gap wedge in your irons ?

Regards, buteman.

I have been playing PING since 1973. I got the G20's last November and love them, I just like the G series, I have played them all.... G5, G10, G15 and now G20. I have 6-LW. See sig.

#10 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Ping's new CFS shaft is outstanding.  I opted for the stiff flex, hardstepped one time in my S56s.   The feel, ball flight and distance I am getting is the best I've ever experienced in a set of irons.  It is my understanding that Ping engineered and then tested this shaft extensively to ensure optimal performance in their irons.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 buckI

buckI

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91171
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

At a fitting, the fitter should have you hit a lot of shafts.   They may start with CFS but also have hit Project X, KBS, Nippon, etc.  The numbers and your ball flight will help you decide.  I would. Not limit myself at all going into a fitting.  If the fitter doesn't try a lot, move to a different fitter.  good luck on the search.
Ping G25  10.5* - TFC Tour stiff
Ping G25 4 Wood - TFC Tour Stiff
Ping i15 20/23 - UST Axivcore stiff
Ping I3+ 5, S59 6-pw
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish
Ping Tour W - 52* & 58*

#12 square

square

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25048
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Buy graphite shafted Ping irons.

View Postbuteman, on 08 January 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

Has anyone ever had to make a decision regarding what type of steel shafts to choose in a set of Ping irons ( Project X or CFS ) ?
I've had a couple of opinions one pro and the other con regarding the Project X,,the negative opinion on the Project X shafts was that they were not worth the additional $173.00 over the Ping CFS shafts.
It's possible I may be asked when I go for my Ping fitting what type of shaft I would like in my irons,,,,I'm a senior golfer and my swing speed is around 93 mph.
Thanks.

KZG VC-420 Nippon 950 steel shaft
KZG VC-F  17* Nippon 950 steel shaft
JPX Fli-Hi 3-6 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping S56 7-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
Titelist Bullseye Standard Blade putter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors