Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

PING CFS shaft


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mac2lad

mac2lad

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37080
  • Joined: 08/11/2007
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Do the CFS shafts play true to flex?

Can anyone compare them to KBS Tours and/or Nippon 950 GH's?

Thanks!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Nessism

Nessism

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1281

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

To me the CFS shafts are soft to flex.  They are also a medium lightweight shaft; lighter than AWT's by a slight amount.

Edited by Nessism, 27 December 2012 - 08:30 AM.


#3 nova6868

nova6868

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140033
  • Joined: 09/27/2011
  • Location:San Antonio, TX
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

What's the ball flight like? Spin? Dispersion?

I just don't know many people who have experience with these shafts. Can't decide whether to try them in a new set of i20s or not...

#4 TCMP

TCMP

    Disguised

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34660
  • Joined: 07/15/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

View Postnova6868, on 06 January 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

What's the ball flight like? Spin? Dispersion?

I just don't know many people who have experience with these shafts. Can't decide whether to try them in a new set of i20s or not...

Medium-High ballflight but without the ballooning associated with the AWT shafts. Stiffer tip section for less spin. Dispersion is really tight. Shafts play true to flex IMO. Very good shaft.

#5 Wooderson

Wooderson

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5371
  • Joined: 08/22/2005
  • Location:Alma, AR
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Are they closer to dynamic golds, rifle, or project x.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin
Ping G25 9.5* +Pos  w/Fuel TS 60s
Ping G30 3 Wood TFC419 S +Pos
Mizuno JPX 800HD 4/5 Fli Hi 6-GW
Titleist Vokey SM4 54M and TVD  58M
Ping Ketsch

#6 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    In this world not of it

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 3317

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostTCMP, on 06 January 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

View Postnova6868, on 06 January 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

What's the ball flight like? Spin? Dispersion?

I just don't know many people who have experience with these shafts. Can't decide whether to try them in a new set of i20s or not...

Medium-High ballflight but without the ballooning associated with the AWT shafts. Stiffer tip section for less spin. Dispersion is really tight. Shafts play true to flex IMO. Very good shaft.

Ah, this is not good news for me. I like the AWT. I guess I don't
swing hard enough to hit balloons with it, lol.....

#7 TCMP

TCMP

    Disguised

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34660
  • Joined: 07/15/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

View Postpivot driven, on 06 January 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

View PostTCMP, on 06 January 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

View Postnova6868, on 06 January 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

What's the ball flight like? Spin? Dispersion?

I just don't know many people who have experience with these shafts. Can't decide whether to try them in a new set of i20s or not...

Medium-High ballflight but without the ballooning associated with the AWT shafts. Stiffer tip section for less spin. Dispersion is really tight. Shafts play true to flex IMO. Very good shaft.

Ah, this is not good news for me. I like the AWT. I guess I don't
swing hard enough to hit balloons with it, lol.....

Unless it's windy, I can't hit balloons either! CFS are much better in the wind.

#8 TCMP

TCMP

    Disguised

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34660
  • Joined: 07/15/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostWooderson, on 06 January 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Are they closer to dynamic golds, rifle, or project x.

Feel of rifle with dispersion of DG. Actually, better dispersion than DG for me.

#9 nova6868

nova6868

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140033
  • Joined: 09/27/2011
  • Location:San Antonio, TX
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostTCMP, on 06 January 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

View PostWooderson, on 06 January 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Are they closer to dynamic golds, rifle, or project x.

Feel of rifle with dispersion of DG. Actually, better dispersion than DG for me.

What flex are you playing? What are your swing stats?

I'm just curious, trying to decide if I should try these in the i20 or just go straight to PX or C-taper.

#10 dpb5031

dpb5031

    Major Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
  • Joined: 10/21/2008
  • Location:Central NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Great shaft.  Lighter than DG in similar flex, but keeps spin down.  Tight and crisp feel for me with my hard stepped stiff CFSs versus my previous DG S300s.  Nice flat trajectory and great control in wind.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 Nessism

Nessism

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1281

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

They don't feel anything like Rifle's to me.  And I don't have a ballooning issue with AWT's.

#12 duffer888

duffer888

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22282
  • Joined: 11/29/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

FWIW, I don't ballon my AWTs, but they are spinner than KBS Tours for me.  If I step on the KBS, they go farther.  If I step on the AWTs, they go higher.
Callaway Razr Hawk Fubuki Tour 63
Callaway X2 Hot Aldila Tour Blue
3 Hybrid
4-GW
SW
Putter

#13 Doublebuck

Doublebuck

    Doublebuck

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57747
  • Joined: 06/11/2008
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:13 AM

Posts say they are based on ZZ65's which I love. If they are an improvement on that shaft they have my vote. No need to go elsewhere in PING.

#14 Nessism

Nessism

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1281

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

View Postduffer888, on 07 January 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

FWIW, I don't ballon my AWTs, but they are spinner than KBS Tours for me.  If I step on the KBS, they go farther.  If I step on the AWTs, they go higher.

Are you comparing both shafts in the same club heads?  If so, I'm going to pick up some KBS Tour's.;)

For what it's worth, I had both a set of G20's (with CFS's) and G10's (with AWT's).  The G20 clubs lighter, which means the shafts are lighter.  The AWT tip section in the short irons (from the head upward about 12 inches) is larger diameter.  Typically a larger diameter tip means the shaft will be tip stiff.  ZZ-65's are this way, but not CFS's.  Maybe the CFS shafts have a thicker shaft wall, I don't know.  I just know they didn't seem all that much different.  In fact, the clubs played so similar to me that I sold the G20's and kept the 10's.

Edited by Nessism, 07 January 2012 - 09:57 AM.


#15 TCMP

TCMP

    Disguised

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34660
  • Joined: 07/15/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostNessism, on 07 January 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postduffer888, on 07 January 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

FWIW, I don't ballon my AWTs, but they are spinner than KBS Tours for me.  If I step on the KBS, they go farther.  If I step on the AWTs, they go higher.

Are you comparing both shafts in the same club heads?  If so, I'm going to pick up some KBS Tour's.;)

For what it's worth, I had both a set of G20's (with CFS's) and G10's (with AWT's).  The G20 clubs lighter, which means the shafts are lighter.  The AWT tip section in the short irons (from the head upward about 12 inches) is larger diameter.  Typically a larger diameter tip means the shaft will be tip stiff.  ZZ-65's are this way, but not CFS's.  Maybe the CFS shafts have a thicker shaft wall, I don't know.  I just know they didn't seem all that much different.  In fact, the clubs played so similar to me that I sold the G20's and kept the 10's.

FWIW- I weighed the G20 CFS Stiff and G10 AWT Stiff and the G20 was 5g lighter. Hard to feel 5g static weight IMO.

IMO the CFS shafts are a great improvement over the AWT shafts.


#16 Nessism

Nessism

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1281

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostTCMP, on 07 January 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

View PostNessism, on 07 January 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postduffer888, on 07 January 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

FWIW, I don't ballon my AWTs, but they are spinner than KBS Tours for me.  If I step on the KBS, they go farther.  If I step on the AWTs, they go higher.

Are you comparing both shafts in the same club heads?  If so, I'm going to pick up some KBS Tour's.;)

For what it's worth, I had both a set of G20's (with CFS's) and G10's (with AWT's).  The G20 clubs lighter, which means the shafts are lighter.  The AWT tip section in the short irons (from the head upward about 12 inches) is larger diameter.  Typically a larger diameter tip means the shaft will be tip stiff.  ZZ-65's are this way, but not CFS's.  Maybe the CFS shafts have a thicker shaft wall, I don't know.  I just know they didn't seem all that much different.  In fact, the clubs played so similar to me that I sold the G20's and kept the 10's.

FWIW- I weighed the G20 CFS Stiff and G10 AWT Stiff and the G20 was 5g lighter. Hard to feel 5g static weight IMO.

IMO the CFS shafts are a great improvement over the AWT shafts.

5 grams in a steel shaft is significant.

I disagree that CFS are a "great improvement".  I'm not trying to be argumentative, my experience is based on owning almost identical clubs other than the shafts.  CFS are fine.  No complaints from me.  I also think AWT are good as well.

#17 CD17

CD17

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151833
  • Joined: 12/21/2011
  • Location:Surrey UK
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

I've used both, AWT Stiff in my i10s, G15s, i15, then I went to CFS Stiff in my i20s & didn't like them as much, they felt stiffer to me.

Does anyone know who makes the CFS shafts for Ping.

#18 BrianL99

BrianL99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Joined: 01/20/2012
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 874

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

I don't like KBS Shafts, so I can't give you much of a comparison, other than I think the CFS shafts are much smoother than any KBS I've tried.

I have CFS in my backup set of I20's, awesome shafts.  I played Nippon for years and I think the CFS is just as smooth as the Nippons, but more consistent, without the ballooning tendency of Nippons.

#19 JJS1978

JJS1978

    JJS1978

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84902
  • Joined: 06/06/2009
  • Location:BOSTON (North Shore)
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I play stiff flex in all my clubs except for my irons which are x stiff cfs shafts. I find that they are perfect for me. I have played x flex in other clubs but tend to lose distance. I actually gained distance on my irons with the x stiff cfs not sure why but it works for me.

#20 Nessism

Nessism

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1281

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostCD17, on 27 December 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

Does anyone know who makes the CFS shafts for Ping.

CFS is made by True Temper.  According to a few club builders that have frequency test them, CFS plays a good bit soft to flex.  The bend profile is supposedly based on the ZZ65.  ZZ65 is stiffer than CFS Stiff, but softer than CFS X-stiff.

Edited by Nessism, 27 December 2012 - 08:35 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#21 bennyblanco

bennyblanco

    doing the bull dance, feeling the flow

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129821
  • Joined: 05/30/2011
  • Location:Bay Area CA
  • Ebay ID:BenBlairGolf
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Id like to get some info re the OP's original question, comparing the CFS and Nippon 950gh in regards to feel, performance-- I'm most interested in flex comparisons between the two as they both seem to be regarded as softer, mid bend, smooth shafts. similarly, how does the lighter weight cousin-- 850gh -- compare to the 950/CFS in terms of flex. Thanks gents!
PING G25 10.5 VTS Silver
Adams F11 Ti 15 Fujikura Fuel
Nike SQ2 21.5 Prolaunch Platinum
PING Anser 23 PJX Black
PING i20 5-PW Steelfiber i95cw
CG 588 RTX Forged 50 55 60




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors