Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wilson Duo

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Bad9

Bad9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Anyone have a chance to try the Wilson Duo yet?

Ping Anser 10.5/Graman UL440 r flex
Ping Anser 5w/Xcaliber FW regular flex
KE4 4h&5h/Xcaliber HY regular flex
i15 5-U/AWR regular flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06
iWedge 54&58/FST Hi Rev regular flex

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 toms

toms

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45015
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

looks like a 50/50 with normal dimples.

View PostBad9, on 21 December 2011 - 10:00 AM, said:

#3 Volgolfer

Volgolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10249
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Posttoms, on 27 December 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

looks like a 50/50 with normal dimples.

View PostBad9, on 21 December 2011 - 10:00 AM, said:

Also interested in hearing opinions.  I've loved the Zip forever and this appears to be the replacement (not the C25).  Just wondering at a 40 compression if this is now too mushy....

Edited by Volgolfer, 03 January 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#4 78blades

78blades

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59589
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

I live in Portland Or and play year round. In the winter here its in the 40's with cold, thick air and little if any roll out. I got tired of losing good balls to plugging. Also I realized that I didn't need spin on the greens in the winter as I am able to stick greens with my 2i. So the 1st year the e6's came out I got them and they were a good winter ball. Then the price went up and I being cheap went to the Laddie Xtream. Last year they were 20 bux for 1.5 doz and it looks like its the same deal this year.

I have been very happy with the Laddie Xtream, but when I went into my favorite golf shop late last year they asked me to try the Wilson Duo. At first I was a little reluctant b/c its 20 bux for 1.5 doz Laddie whereas the Wilsons were 20 bux for a doz. So I decided what the heck and bought a doz of the Wilsons Duo.

I've been play'n them for about 2 weeks now and they are great! A softer feel off of the irons in particular and a little more distance compared to the Laddies for me. I believe they have a compression of 40 or 45 which is really low, but for winter golf I'd highly recommend these. I have no idea how they will preform in good weather.

#5 78blades

78blades

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59589
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:38 AM

oops; let me add a little infor. ss w/ dirver 105-108 and 6i ss 86-88.

#6 7464

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30969
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

View Post78blades, on 05 January 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

I've been play'n them for about 2 weeks now and they are great! A softer feel off of the irons in particular and a little more distance compared to the Laddies for me. I believe they have a compression of 40 or 45 which is really low, but for winter golf I'd highly recommend these. I have no idea how they will preform in good weather.

Seriously!  Sorry just had to say it...LOL But I am considering a ball change as I have been playing Srixon Z Stars for the last two years and recently got talked into trying the Srixon Q Star and really did not notice much difference at all...other than maybe the Q Star ran out a tad more on chips and ptiches around the green...but a slight adjustment in where I wanted the ball to land made that a mute point...but distance, wedge spin, driver spin, etc...seemed the same

So now I am trying to become a Wilson Staff guy (playing the Ci11 irons) and I have played the FG Tour ball in the past and found them to be very much like the Srixon Z Star but that they tend to start to yellow after a round or two like Titleist Pro V1...so based on my Q Star comparions above I am thinking maybe the C25 or Duo would meet my expectations...has anyone compared these to the Srixon balls?

:smilie_wilson:
Callaway / X Hot / 3W / PXv Pro / 44in
Callaway / Apex / 3-SW / UST Recoil F4
Odyssey / Versa #1 Wide / 35in
Callaway / Hex Chrome

#7 Old Hack

Old Hack

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171394
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostKoKo2, on 26 October 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

View Post78blades, on 05 January 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Seriously!  Sorry just had to say it...LOL But I am considering a ball change as I have been playing Srixon Z Stars for the last two years and recently got talked into trying the Srixon Q Star and really did not notice much difference at all...other than maybe the Q Star ran out a tad more on chips and ptiches around the green...but a slight adjustment in where I wanted the ball to land made that a mute point...but distance, wedge spin, driver spin, etc...seemed the same

So now I am trying to become a Wilson Staff guy (playing the Ci11 irons) and I have played the FG Tour ball in the past and found them to be very much like the Srixon Z Star but that they tend to start to yellow after a round or two like Titleist Pro V1...so based on my Q Star comparions above I am thinking maybe the C25 or Duo would meet my expectations...has anyone compared these to the Srixon balls?

:smilie_wilson:
Finally played the Duo yesterday. SS 85; HC 10; Age = Old (71). I found the Duo a bit like a Noodle Easy Distance on steroids. Putts like butter, drives like a rocket at my swing speed. But it's the irons you will work on to adjust for the distance. I normally smoothly hit it 90yds with my gap wedge. Yesterday, on an uphill 88yd shot, I jumped on the GW and the darn thing flew 115yds. That surprised me and made me think - the Duo will take getting used to. It spins better on short shots, I believe, because it is softer than anything else.The Z Stars I've always loved; great distance and green side manners. Not so with the Q. One box and gone for me. It seems a "slug" on shots under 125yds. Actually feels heavy for my SS. Give the Duo a try see what you think.  A sleeve is only going to be $5 or $6.

#8 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84151
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Best cheap ball I have ever played for short game. Strangely the cover is not that soft according to the data. But DUO literally is one hop and stop on my PW, GW, 52*, and 56* wedges. Maybe the overall ball design, with angle of decent and all, make it work so well in my short game. Spin is not the only thing that composes a short game performance; I get this ball high and it comes in for hard landing. This ball clicks for me with the four clubs I use the most at short game.

As long as any ball I have ever hit, but real distances are harder to peg. If it was a yard shorter, I would still play it for the reason mentioned above.

I have seen it buffeted in the wind. This is not the ideal wind ball. IMO, flat dimples only benefit when wind is an issue. I can live without flat dimples.

Much more consistent than the 50. That ball did some weird WHOA distance tricks at times. I did not find it entirely true on full-swing iron shots.

Better for me than the ZIP in the short game. I preferred the ZIP over the 50. I prefer the DUO over the ZIP.

DUO is one of the best cheap balls ever made. Qualified statement. Best among cheap balls.

#9 Old Hack

Old Hack

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171394

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostLOVE4LPGA, on 26 October 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Best cheap ball I have ever played for short game. Strangely the cover is not that soft according to the data. But DUO literally is one hop and stop on my PW, GW, 52*, and 56* wedges. Maybe the overall ball design, with angle of decent and all, make it work so well in my short game. Spin is not the only thing that composes a short game performance; I get this ball high and it comes in for hard landing. This ball clicks for me with the four clubs I use the most at short game.

As long as any ball I have ever hit, but real distances are harder to peg. If it was a yard shorter, I would still play it for the reason mentioned above.

I have seen it buffeted in the wind. This is not the ideal wind ball. IMO, flat dimples only benefit when wind is an issue. I can live without flat dimples.

Much more consistent than the 50. That ball did some weird WHOA distance tricks at times. I did not find it entirely true on full-swing iron shots.

Better for me than the ZIP in the short game. I preferred the ZIP over the 50. I prefer the DUO over the ZIP.

DUO is one of the best cheap balls ever made. Qualified statement. Best among cheap balls.
Well put LOVE4LPGA. A much more playable ball than Nodle, PS, SoLo. Does "float" a bit, so wind ball it may not be. Like the old Titleist Carry, the hang time gives it distance, but may hurt the wind playability. All said and done, best cheap ball on the market right now.

#10 highscoreinky

highscoreinky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29688
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

I agree that the Duo is the best ball under $35.oo that I have played.  It has replaced the Taylormade TP5 that I have played for the past 18 months or so.  Did have to make some a small adjustment on chips but this is my ball for 2013.  Already stocking up on them which is easy to do at $19.99 a dozen.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Rusty Spokes

Rusty Spokes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188704

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

FYI..Rockbottomgolf has Duos "imprint blemished"on sale@ $9.99 a dozen if you buy 3 dozen, plus shipping

#12 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

This is a good ball. Bought some to try, and these are nice.
Must admit I was skeptical, but nice alternative to play. i am
using the last of my TP Blacks. And this could become my
game ball. Goes well off the tee, nice ball flight on the irons,
and with a minor adjustment for chipping. Its good to go !!
Give this ball a test, It will surprise you !!

Seriously !!!!  Nice job Wilson !!!!

Edited by puttingmatt, 09 November 2012 - 12:17 PM.

Callaway BB Alpha 9* Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Callaway Apex Pro  5 thru PW irons
Odyssey ix  protype 9 HT Putter
Vokey 50*, 54*, & 58* Wedges

#13 Minarets

Minarets

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28043
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Love this ball.
Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
Putter: SeeMore mFGP
Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV

#14 morebeerbettergolf

morebeerbettergolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178978
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

After reading the hype I found it to be mushy and considerably shorter off the driver than the FG Tour X, RX, FG Tour, hex black, easentially everything I had in my bag. Glad I only got a dozen Ill use them for cold weather balls.

#15 7464

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30969
  • Handicap:8.0

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Well based on a few things as follows I tried the Duo balls:

1) Reading this thread
2) Desire to become an all Wilson Staff guy (just somehting fun to do equipment wise)  went back to PING (i20 irons)
3) Based on a recent trade I did at my local EW I had a $20 dollar credit so I got a dozen Duo balls

Review as follows:

This really is a very solid ball as I played a round yesterday and shot an 83 with three drives out of bounds (issue with my fade swing and I am trying some new things with my alignment)...but I found the following to be true for my game...SS Driver = 100-108, 6 iron 85-88 and I hit a high fade on most every shot:

1) Distance = I got very good distance from them...it was not anything extreme but as good if not better than any ball I have been playing lately (Z Star, Q Star, C:25, 330RX)

2) Spin = Seemed like they were low spin off the tee (hit 9 of 14 fairways...other than my 3 OB drives) but yet seemed to spin very well for me on approach shots...example; on a long par 3 I hit a five iron and the ball was within a foot from the divot.  Only thing is that they tend to roll out a bit more than I am use to with pitches and chips but I think a small adjustment to where I land the ball and this should be fine (see feel remarks)

3) Feel = They feel AWE...wait for it...SOME...off the tee, off the irons, pitching and chipping, and putting...this is a very good feeling ball

4) Durability = Hit a tree or two and once hit the cart path and the ball was still in very good shape to keep playing with...usually when I scuff a ball I throw it in a differnet pocket in my bag to use for short game practice...but I kept playing with the Duo as it showed luittle wear or scuffing

5) Price = Heck for all of what I got out of this ball (review above) for $19.99 a dozen this is a steal!

:smilie_wilson: Duo

Edited by KoKo2, 14 November 2012 - 07:35 AM.

Callaway / X Hot / 3W / PXv Pro / 44in
Callaway / Apex / 3-SW / UST Recoil F4
Odyssey / Versa #1 Wide / 35in
Callaway / Hex Chrome

#16 sui generis

sui generis

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostRusty Spokes, on 27 October 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

FYI..Rockbottomgolf has Duos "imprint blemished"on sale@ $9.99 a dozen if you buy 3 dozen, plus shipping

Thanks, Rusty. Just bought 3 doz of my favorite golf ball.
Knowledge of the Rules is part of the
applied skill set which a player must
use to play a round of competitive golf.

#17 Rusty Spokes

Rusty Spokes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

De nada and do a reveiw

Edited by Rusty Spokes, 05 November 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#18 sui generis

sui generis

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostRusty Spokes, on 05 November 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

De nada and do a reveiw

Two reviews in one!

1) Monday morning, acting on your heads up, I logged on to Rockbottom and ordered 3 dozen at $9.99 per and $9.99 for shipping. Around noon today, Wednesday, the UPS guy delivered them to my door! (Coincidentally, we are having our first snow of the winter today, so no "on course" report. Though I played the Duo all summer and like it.)

2) I opened one box and examined the first four balls and couldn't find a blemish.

So ... get 'em while you can.

#19 geoga

geoga

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40291

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

absolutely the best ball for slow swings that I have ever played. I hope they come out with yellow ones soon. not mushy and once you get used to the distance it will outperform anything else. helps me keep up with my long hitting friends.

#20 RW_Shankar

RW_Shankar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141333

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Looks like Edwin Watts also has the blems for 10.99, or 2 for 20.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 coach1775

coach1775

Coach 1775

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209689
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

I wrote a forum under here.  It's called My Wilson DUO EXP  check it out. I do need to update it as of today,  I've played the same DUO ball for four rounds and it cracked today but I mean really cracked.  Not cut, or lined I mean crackcckkkkkeeeeddddddd.

#22 Tuba

Tuba

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51854
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Duos are excellent golf balls.  You have to get used to how quiet they are off irons and putters, especially.  I live in Minnesota, 66 yrs, old, index of 6 and have played them in all types of weather since early September.  As stated above, they are long, they feel great and putting with these balls is a very good experience.  Two surprising things are how quickly they stop on the green even with mid irons and hybrids.  In the past I'd play pretty much what I'd find on the course or on deep sale at GG or Target.  Now I just play the Duo.

#23 sui generis

sui generis

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postgeoga, on 07 November 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

absolutely the best ball for slow swings that I have ever played. I hope they come out with yellow ones soon. not mushy and once you get used to the distance it will outperform anything else. helps me keep up with my long hitting friends.

I thought it was an illusion. The Duo seems longer for me, compared to the SoLo and Pinnacle Gold. I'm old and slow, too, thus I like the Duo a lot.

Edited by sui generis, 08 November 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#24 Rusty Spokes

Rusty Spokes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

View Postcoach1775, on 08 November 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

I wrote a forum under here.  It's called My Wilson DUO EXP  check it out. I do need to update it as of today,  I've played the same DUO ball for four rounds and it cracked today but I mean really cracked.  Not cut, or lined I mean crackcckkkkkeeeeddddddd.

Need some pictures

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors