Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hogan irons

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 INWOOD1953

INWOOD1953

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117426
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

mollieduke, on 21 December 2011 - 02:02 AM, said:

Bought some new Apex Edge irons 3 years ago  only because they were so cheap . They soon replaced my Mizzies in the bag and have been there ever since. Pity they are no longer in production  .

I've played so many Hogans, But even tho the Apex Edges are a little bulky, they don't feel it at all. A nice balanced feel and the ball comes off the face great!!  

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

I played Hogans for years ... but ... when Callaway bought them ... they (IMO) pretty much destroyed what made the brand great.

#33 dpark

dpark

5 and counting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

bobfoster, on 29 December 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

I played Hogans for years ... but ... when Callaway bought them ... they (IMO) pretty much destroyed what made the brand great.

Doesn't mean you still can't play Hogans...

I recently picked up a set of Apex PCs 2-PW with Apex 4 shafts in excellent condition for $75 shipped. Been playing them for the past couple of months. Spent more to have L/L/L adjusted and new grips put on than I paid for the clubs.

I agree that it is a shame what Callaway but don't let that keep you from playing some really great (classic) clubs! It is amazing the great irons you can get at bargain basement prices these days...
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1978 Ben Hogan Pennyback Medallions 2-E
1980 Ben Hogan Special SI Sand Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

#34 BUNKERRAKER

BUNKERRAKER

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72504
  • Ebay ID:chase4621
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

In the process of building a set of "82 Apex II right now just need some time off work to get them adjusted and assembled!

#35 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

dpark, on 29 December 2011 - 08:20 PM, said:

I recently picked up a set of Apex PCs 2-PW with Apex 4 shafts in excellent condition for $75 shipped. Been playing them for the past couple of months. Spent more to have L/L/L adjusted and new grips put on than I paid for the clubs.

I agree that it is a shame what Callaway but don't let that keep you from playing some really great (classic) clubs! It is amazing the great irons you can get at bargain basement prices these days...

Actually ... I switched to Mizzy as soon as Cally bought Hogan (Callaway, IMO, is the Borg of golf ... it just "assimilates" everything. Hogan clubs were made by people that genuinely cared about making superlative forged irons ... Cally just wanted the brand name.)

Mizzy is what Hogan used to be.

#36 Moniteur

Moniteur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44506
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

I use my FTX's during the winter season. Love the irons, but the shaft (apex 4) is too soft and baloons the ball for me, so therefore they are nice in the winter  time, when I can't swing as fast. Will probably reshaft them at some point and use them as a backup set.

#37 SteveDave

SteveDave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78826
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

I made the same switch to Titleist at that point

#38 Shoebottom

Shoebottom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152649

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

'97 cavity backed edges with the graphite shaft all the way!!! I have been playing the 3-E ever since and have had no reason to change. In my opinion, the low irons Hogan has are the easiest ones i have hit. The 3 and 4 wail the ball with more accuracy than the ping zings and the new Nike sling shots from my experience. There is an intangible appeal to Hogans. I have hit late 80's models and also been impressed by their simple elegance.

What i like about the Hogan clubs is the balance they provide from any shot. Since all the club heads are forged as a set they compliment one another very well. Same effortless swing swing every time.
Love the older Hogans.

Edited by Shoebottom, 31 December 2011 - 08:51 AM.

#39 fvhowler

fvhowler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27372
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Over the years I've played the the BH-5, Edge CFT, Apex Edge and now the Apex FTX.  Obviously a Hogan loyalist.  The FTXs will be in the bag for awhile.  Still hoping Cally sells the brand name and another manufacturer re-establishes the brand on tour where it belongs.

#40 super20dan

super20dan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

add me to the list of hogan believers. bought a old set of apex irons at flea market and hit them very well. as good as most game improvment irons i have owned . aswsume irons and have a simple elegance you dont see anymore

73 hogan apex

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 HoganApex99

HoganApex99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157951

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

bobfoster, on 29 December 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

Actually ... I switched to Mizzy as soon as Cally bought Hogan (Callaway, IMO, is the Borg of golf ... it just "assimilates" everything. Hogan clubs were made by people that genuinely cared about making superlative forged irons ... Cally just wanted the brand name.)

I've heard and read that Callaway was interested in Top Flite balls, and that the Hogan brand just came along with it.
I had my Hogan Apex '99 shafts replaced by Callaway a few years ago. They still had Apex 4's; that's what I went with. Last fall my 7 iron head flew off at the range. The shaft broke off at the hosel. Callaway gave me a free replacement of the shaft, with free shipping both ways. I always liked their service. Funny, they sent a card with a trade-in/trade-up offer on it in the box with my Apex. Made me chuckle! Great service, but I'll stick to my '99 Apex blades (I know they are '98-'01 vintage, I just like calling them '99 due to an internet article I read on how they were designed. The article was written by the designer. Epon forgings, too!)

Hit 'em straight!

#42 HoganApex99

HoganApex99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

HoganApex99, on 28 January 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

bobfoster, on 29 December 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

I've heard and read that Callaway was interested in Top Flite balls, and that the Hogan brand just came along with it.
I had my Hogan Apex '99 shafts replaced by Callaway a few years ago. They still had Apex 4's; that's what I went with. Last fall my 7 iron head flew off at the range. The shaft broke off at the hosel. Callaway gave me a free replacement of the shaft, with free shipping both ways. I always liked their service. Funny, they sent a card with a trade-in/trade-up offer on it in the box with my Apex. Made me chuckle! Great service, but I'll stick to my '99 Apex blades (I know they are '98-'01 vintage, I just like calling them '99 due to an internet article I read on how they were designed. The article was written by the designer. Epon forgings, too!)

Hit 'em straight!
CORRECTION!!!  Endo forging, not Epon. Those are clubs...

#43 HoganApex99

HoganApex99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

By the way, I just bought my third set of Apex '99 blades. Two have Apex4 shafts. The latest set has Rifle 6.0 flighted (heads are in near new condition -- great deal on ebay recently for $145). Very elegant looking set up with step-less shafts and gold and black shaft bands. I will post soon about the differences between the two shafts. I believe they will perform similarly, but I expect some differences.

I also have '88 Redlines with Apex4 in great shape, 2003 Apex blades with Apex4, and a set of Grinds with Apex3. I picked up the Grinds at a Goodwill. I was passing by on my way to the range and saw Hogans in the window. I went in and asked, "how much are those clubs in the window?" $40 later... The heads are in great shape.

So, now it's 6 sets. Too many? They don't make these clubs anymore. The '99's are my gamers. They feel so good to me! Also, I am used to their offset. The 2003's seem to have too much offset in the mid to high irons for me -- I hook the crap out of them. I am researching this. I hit the Redlines at the range. They felt different than the '99's. I need to adjust the lies and lofts and play them at the course to make a determination about them. I know they have a great reputation. The Grinds feel sweet, but with the regular shafts, I'll keep them as clubs for guests who play with regular shafts.

I haven't tried everything more current out there, but I try as much as I can in the shops, at the range from friends, and club members. I haven't found anything that feels as good to me as the '99 blades. I love the way the ball comes off the face -- so sweet, so pure. Even amongst the other Hogans that I've tried, this is my favorite. Don't buy them on ebay. Leave them for me!

Hit 'em straight!

#44 Gollum_X

Gollum_X

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67339
  • Ebay ID:nurexcristian

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

I play the BH Apex Edge with PX Flighted 5.0 on them and luv 'em as the first day :man_in_love: :man_in_love:  I put in play the BH alternatively with a set of MC-102. Both the sets had been bought with very low amount of cash. The cost of the two sets together does not equal the price of a first class driver with a good aftermarket shaft... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I feel a bit lucky to have found these amazing sets :clapping: :clapping:

I luv the touch the feel of the BH and I totally agree with ones who say that Callaway has ruined one of the gretest brand on the market...

Edited by Gollum_X, 28 January 2012 - 02:12 AM.

#45 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67065
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

HoganApex99, on 28 January 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

So, now it's 6 sets. Too many?

You can never have to many sets of Hogan irons.
I was contemplating getting another set and then having them copper plated.
There's just something about Hogan irons, it's indescribable. Puring a Hogan 1 iron is the closest you can eve feel to what it would be like to be a god.

#46 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Ebay ID:brentregis
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

99 apex forged blades with apex 4 shafts here. been playing them since '03. fell in love with the new mizuno's and am retiring the hogans, but they will never leave my hands.(holding the clipboard now)

#47 bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14841
  • Ebay ID:kjam100100
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

I played Apex Plus for years and they were some of the best irons I have ever owned.  Saw a set that was in great shape last weekend at a sale, almost pulled the trigger but 200 seemed a little more than I could justify.  They were great irons.
KH

#48 GolfAddictions

GolfAddictions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174360

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

I play the Hogan GCD Edge Midsize irons with Apex 4 black steel shafts.  Love 'em!
Titleist 910 D3
Titleist 910f
Titleist 910h
Titleist AP2 712
Vokey CC 52 56 60
Ping Karsten B60

#49 Shug Wy Tee

Shug Wy Tee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115463
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Still game the Apex every once in a while, and still some of the best feeling irons

#50 Tgunn137

Tgunn137

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97538
  • Handicap:9

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

I had a set of BH 5's and Apex plus. They were great irons and I wish  still had them.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 dhl28

dhl28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25150
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

I wish hogan would be revived and start producing classic looking irons. I can only wish.

#52 jeffrey r

jeffrey r

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83556
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Tgunn137, on 27 April 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

I had a set of BH 5's and Apex plus. They were great irons and I wish  still had them.

Keep your eyes open.  Within the past few months, I picked up an excellent set of BH-5's (non-offset) from 3balls for about $60, and a mint set of forged 2006 Apex Edge from global golf for about $100--LH no less.  

Didn't need them per se, but that is $160 total for two sets of irons that can hold their own with any recent irons in their class.  And the forged Hogan Apex Edge are stunning GI irons.  Glad to have them in the arsenal.
Ping G25 12*, TFC R
TM Burner TP 17.5* 5w, 75R
Cobra TRail+ 19* and Ping G25 23* Hybrid
Ping G15 Irons 5-UW, CFS S
Ping i5 and Eye 2 54* and 58*
Odyssey MXM-V #9HT Putter 34"

#53 double-d

double-d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60002

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

I played the BH-5's for 4 years with the Apex Steel Shafts.   Really nice looking clubs, I recently changed to R11s for more forgivness and a higher ball flight for me, but really liked the BH-5's and the Hogan Company.   Had my only hole in one with a BH-5 7 iron... so will probably always remember that set.    They look and feel the same as one of the Older callaway X sets, can't remember what #, maybe 15s?

#54 jeffrey r

jeffrey r

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83556
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

double-d, on 27 April 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

They look and feel the same as one of the Older callaway X sets, can't remember what #, maybe 15s?

BH-5's are essentially the Callaway X-14's with a different hosel.  'Non-offset' are the X-14 Pro Series, 'offset' are the X-14.

Edited by jeffrey r, 27 April 2012 - 11:09 AM.

Ping G25 12*, TFC R
TM Burner TP 17.5* 5w, 75R
Cobra TRail+ 19* and Ping G25 23* Hybrid
Ping G15 Irons 5-UW, CFS S
Ping i5 and Eye 2 54* and 58*
Odyssey MXM-V #9HT Putter 34"

#55 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

play Hogan Apex IIs, along with mizuno

played hogan apex pc, redlines and now the apex IIs. used Hogans for about 15 years solely.

crisper feeling than mizzies, the apex IIs are a tad lighter than my mp67s heads, or so it feels such to me.
I love hogan clubs, always have i guess. I like that the ones from the 1980's have a bit bigger head and are considerably more forgiving than 1970 era blades. still, you need decent mechanics to effectively use the longer irons on their blades. The short irons, most anyone can enjoy them, but the 5 iron down pose problems for most.

I especially like how the ball is framed by the hogan apex club head. To JP, it seems so easy to know where to hit on the ball with theses clubs. I love the lack of offset and the minimal bounces.

they are so cheap now, it is a great time to experience them. I mean, for $100 you can own one of the purest forged blades ever made.

Edited by Jack Pearsall, 27 April 2012 - 11:29 AM.

Titleist 909DC 9.5*
Taylormade 300 Series 15*
Srixon ZR-UTI 18*
Srixon Z-TX 3-PW
Odyssey XG #3
Zodia 52*, 56*

#56 txgolfer45

txgolfer45

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127216

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I have an set of Apex Plus irons as backups to my TM Tour Preferred CB's.  The Apex Plus are solid and very playable.  Only reason I switched was because I went through a club fitting session and determined a different shaft was needed.  Decided to buy new instead of reshafting the Apex Plus irons.

#57 barbajo

barbajo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175828

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

txgolfer45, on 28 April 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

I have an set of Apex Plus irons as backups to my TM Tour Preferred CB's.  The Apex Plus are solid and very playable.  Only reason I switched was because I went through a club fitting session and determined a different shaft was needed.  Decided to buy new instead of reshafting the Apex Plus irons.

Similar story here -- have a set of Apex Plus ('99-'00 vintage) with Apex 4 shafts.  Love those clubs!  Picked them up on eBay for 80 bucks - had some of my best rounds with them.  Wife got me $$ for new clubs for Christmas - got fit for some MP-59's -- love those too, keeping the Hogan's as a backup set.  

Great, great golf clubs - holding out hope that Perry Ellis somehow decides to get Hogan back into the equipment game.  Think they'd have an anxious, eager market ready to buy first class equipment!

#58 Andy M.

Andy M.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172161

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

I play Hogan Apex Plus.  I wanted those since I first saw them around '99.  Finally got a set of ebay for $100 a couple years ago.  I do love the MP-59s, but I think I'll play the Hogans till they break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors