Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Craft beer Drinkers Unite!

• Please log in to reply
647 replies to this topic

#211 itsernst

itsernst

Digital Genius & wanna be golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132882
  • Ebay ID:itsernst
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

So...thanks to friends in high places, I was able to procure a case of Russian River Salvation.  Brewed and bottle once a year in limited supply, this is a semi stout, meaty ale.  I had limited knowledge of it and had my first one last night.  Taste was fantastic...coffee, malty, while still maintaing characters of a smooth ale.

Enjoyed a second one today while brewing my first batch.   We will see how my first go around ends up.  Using cascade hops to make a West Coast style Pale Ale.

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#212 JBent9610

JBent9610

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24311

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

The pumpkin beers are showing up now and this year's batch seems to be better than last. Just for the record, I don't have much of a sense of smell, so I have to have my wife do the smell tests for me. She usually then takes a sip and makes a face like I gave her the most god awful stuff ever. With that said...

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin ale - two years ago, this was my favorite. Last year, too much of a spice. This year, good pumpkin and spice.

Southern Tier Pumking - this stuff is everywhere this year and I usually have a hard time finding it. This year's batch seems like a good balance with the pumpkin and the spices, but my wife says it smells strong of nutmeg.

Hoppin Frog Double Pumpkin - this was my favorite last year, as it has a strong pumpkin taste and good spices. This year's batch seems even better. I can't taste the cinnamon very well, but my wife can. The pumpkin is definitely present and the other spices aren't overpowering. My wife had a small drink of it and said she might be able to drink it...and she loathes beer. The nice thing is I drive about a mile from the brewery everyday for work, so I can stop there if needed.

I haven't seen Dogfish Head Punkin Ale yet. The first year I had it, 2009, it was unreal. The past two years have been milder on the flavors, especially the brown sugar. Still, I look forward to it each year.

#213 wickster

wickster

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142589
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

I can't believe I only now just found this thread! I guess I spent too much time searching the BST. Great replies here all around. I'm way into the hops and my all-time favorite is Dogfish Head's 90 Minute. I tried some great beers this summer and if you're a fellow hop-head you should check these out:

Oscar Blues Deviant Dale's IPA (16oz cans @ 8%)
Troeg's Perpetual IPA (like West Coast Greenflash but less expensive)
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA

#214 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Good choice on IPA's wickster, except for the Deviant Dales!!!

Oscar Blues makes some good beers, but I just can't stand the summit hops in the DD's. It's an onion/garlic bomb! I love both of those flavors, but not in my beer.

Hoptimum is good, but I wore it out too fast. I have a few left in the fridge I can't even bring myself to drink.

#215 IronOrr

IronOrr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187570
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

Oooooh...such an awesome thread!

I'm a beer freak. I went to Siebel Institute in Chicago last spring, and I'm now actively trying to find brewing jobs.  Kinda hard since I live in Germany right now, but I'll be back in the Kansas City area come winter. Hopefully Boulevard will be hiring!

Anyway, lots of awesome stuff mentioned already.  I couldn't make a top 10 or a top 5 list if I tried.  Way too many options and awesome beers.

My desert island beer though?

Orval, hands down, no question.

Looking forward to some good banter here.

#216 sefus12

sefus12

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92725
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Anyone in the Louisville/Lexington, KY area needs to find West Sixth IPA in cans.  Awesome IPA from a start-up here in KY.  Be sure to check out Against the Grain (in Louisville) and Country Boy and West Sixth (in Lexington) if you have the time.  All great new breweries.
Nike CT 2.0 w/Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
TM Rocketballz Tour 13*
Titleist 913h 17* w/D+ 92s
TM Rocketbladez Tour w/KBS Tour S
Odyssey Rossie FB1
Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges

#217 Shrapnac

Shrapnac

Cinderella Story

• 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199518
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Been digging stuff in cans a lot more recently. Six Point does several that I really like.

I encourage anyone to pick up some Boulder Brewing Company Hazed and Infused. Really tasty hoppy IPA but it's on the lower end of the alcohol scale and really drinkable.

I have one bottle of Dogfish Head 120 Minute left collecting dust in my basement right now. Saving that for something special.

I also have a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias down there too that's about 2/3 empty. That one comes out very rarely.

Gonna have to go pick up some stuff from my "beer guy" this week. Now I'm craving something hoppy enough to take paint off walls.

#218 thaar

thaar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm sure many of my favorites have already been listed, but...

Breckenridge Small Batch 471 Double IPA
Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
Pliny the Elder IPA
Odell's 5-Barrel IPA
Bells 2-Hearted IPA
Bells Oberon

Apparently I like IPA's lol.

Odell's is one of the best brewery's out here in Colorado, in my opinion.  I really haven't had a beer I haven't liked from them.  Fortunately, we are surrounded by a lot of great ones.  I do miss Bells from back in Michigan thought quite a bit.

#219 WVP

WVP

Major Winner

• 2,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113828
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostIronOrr, on 28 August 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

Oooooh...such an awesome thread!

I'm a beer freak. I went to Siebel Institute in Chicago last spring, and I'm now actively trying to find brewing jobs.  Kinda hard since I live in Germany right now, but I'll be back in the Kansas City area come winter. Hopefully Boulevard will be hiring!

Anyway, lots of awesome stuff mentioned already.  I couldn't make a top 10 or a top 5 list if I tried.  Way too many options and awesome beers.

My desert island beer though?

Orval, hands down, no question.

Looking forward to some good banter here.

Is that a tattoo of hops? Pretty hardcore!

I think that Orval is up there with anything else once you really explore the depth of it. Very interesting beer. I had the pleasure of visiting Orval around 3 years ago. Now with two young kids it's hard to imagine getting back to Belgium anytime soon.

Glad to have finally stumbled into this thread!
Cobra Bio Cell - 9.5 - PXv Tour 52
Exotics CB5 - 16.5 - Fubuki Tour
Adams XTD - 19 - Fubuki AX350
Mizuno JPX825 - 4-GW - Project X
Mizuno JPX - 54/58 - Project X
Odyssey #9 White Ice

#220 IronOrr

IronOrr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostWVP, on 30 August 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Is that a tattoo of hops? Pretty hardcore!

I think that Orval is up there with anything else once you really explore the depth of it. Very interesting beer. I had the pleasure of visiting Orval around 3 years ago. Now with two young kids it's hard to imagine getting back to Belgium anytime soon.

Glad to have finally stumbled into this thread!

It is! I told you I was a beer freak!

Orval is on my short list to see before we leave Europe. We've been to Cantillon, so if I leave and don't see any other breweries here, I'll feel my life is complete. We found a great Belgian beer market about 2 hours west of us, so I stock up every few months.  We are bringing back about 5 racks of Orval when we return.

I do miss the US craft breweries though. Amazing selection.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#221 crapula

crapula

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114016
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

View Postitsernst, on 11 January 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

View Postjgonz69, on 24 December 2011 - 12:17 AM, said:

+1

Scuplin is one of the finest IPA's money can buy.  Living in San Diego, I am proud to be in craft beer mecca.  I can't throw a rock without hitting a great bar with a ton of microbrews.

When you can go to your local 7-11 and pick up a 6 of stone IPA, you know you are in good hands.

I just tried Sculpin over the weekend when I was in san diego at yardhouse.

Awesome beer. I miss Marin County (the other home of home brews).
Adams Super LS 9.5*    Titleist 913F 15*
Adams Super Hybrid 17*
3-PW Wishon 555M 21* - 48*
SM4 52, Yonex 60
Odyssey Metal X
Srixon Yellow XV or Prov1x

#222 WVP

WVP

Major Winner

• 2,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113828
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Sipping on a Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin. I was able to grab a case of Pumking a few weeks ago so I am set for the season....

Anyone from Pittsburgh going to the Big Pour this Saturday? I'll be at the first session. Playing golf on Friday and temperatures are dropping so it's looking like a great weekend!
Cobra Bio Cell - 9.5 - PXv Tour 52
Exotics CB5 - 16.5 - Fubuki Tour
Adams XTD - 19 - Fubuki AX350
Mizuno JPX825 - 4-GW - Project X
Mizuno JPX - 54/58 - Project X
Odyssey #9 White Ice

#223 itw419

itw419

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34050
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

I was at Shorts Brew Pub this past weekend. It was as fantastic as it always is. I tried a couple new beers that are draft only. My favorite was a called Mmm Kay. It is a heavily hopped lager and was awesome. I wish Shorts was closer to home.
RBZ Tour Miyazaki Kusula White 61x
Taylor Made R9 4 wood stock 70x
ClevelandHalo 22*&Adams Super LS 19*
Titleist AP2 710 5- PW X100
Vokey 52*&56* MacGregor 60*
Nike Method Drone Belly

#224 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Been doing more brewing than drinking, but I've hit some good seasonals lately.

Really enjoying the simple yet tasty Tumbler from Sierra Nevada.. Great brown ale for the cooler nights..

Pumking is drinking pretty good, as it DFH Punkin this year too!

#225 leadfoot_mf

leadfoot_mf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138024
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

just had a mikkeller 1000 ibu beer   it was a little bitter lol.

#226 leadfoot_mf

leadfoot_mf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138024
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

fatc1ty have you had any burnt hickory yet http://www.burnthick....com/main.html#  some good stuff.  also you ever make it out to red hare for tastings?

#227 Onewaggle

Onewaggle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178862
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

Odell's 90 shilling is my go to when I'm not drinking my own.

View Postthaar, on 30 August 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

I'm sure many of my favorites have already been listed, but...

Breckenridge Small Batch 471 Double IPA
Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
Pliny the Elder IPA
Odell's 5-Barrel IPA
Bells 2-Hearted IPA
Bells Oberon

Apparently I like IPA's lol.

Odell's is one of the best brewery's out here in Colorado, in my opinion.  I really haven't had a beer I haven't liked from them.  Fortunately, we are surrounded by a lot of great ones.  I do miss Bells from back in Michigan thought quite a bit.

#228 yumbrownies

yumbrownies

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123129
  • Ebay ID:djy2712
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostFATC1TY, on 13 September 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

Been doing more brewing than drinking, but I've hit some good seasonals lately.

Really enjoying the simple yet tasty Tumbler from Sierra Nevada.. Great brown ale for the cooler nights..

Pumking is drinking pretty good, as it DFH Punkin this year too!

Ooh, I almost forgot about Tumbler. (Those stubby Sierra Nevada bottles are my favorites for homebrew, too...) Fall/winter is probably my favorite seasonal beer time--pumpkin beers, tasty brown ales, and then winter warmers. Twisted Pine here in Boulder did a fun pumpkin brown last year that I'm hoping makes a reappearance. It tasted and smelled like pumpkin pie, and at the brewery they served it with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

#229 Bushwickite

Bushwickite

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136250
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

Heady topper by the alchemist brewery. Pretty much cash and carry in Vermont, no real distribution.

Founders
Russian river
3 Floyd's
Six point
Cigar city
Allagash

#230 Mulligan26

Mulligan26

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28075
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

I'm drinking a dogfish head 90 minute right now... It has vaulted itself right up to my favorite beer. I also like the Sierra Nevada torpedo extra IPA. Stone arrogant bastxxx. Sam Adams has some limited brews that are excellent.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#231 yumbrownies

yumbrownies

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

Had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker tonight; very solid DIPA. And a Dogfish Head Punkin ale too. On the light side for a brown, but very tasty.

#232 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Ironically, as the heavier beers hit, the pumpkin and fall beers, like browns, and porters, and stouts head out...

I'm enjoying some lighter summer-ish beers!

New Belgium Peach Porch Lounger is a great Saison w/ Brett.. Funky beer, but man it's tasty, and easy to drink..

#233 rogera13

rogera13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204391

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Awesome thread! Awesome Beer's! There is a place I would like to give a shout out to. Several throughout the southeast and Texas. Many in Florida! World of Beer!!! Walking through the doors you hear the angels sing! Member of the beer club. Every trip in I have a different beer with each order! They also do a lot of events! Including a couple golf scrambles! If you find one near you, you will not be dissapointed! If not hope for one! They are growing like crazy!   Website with locations  http://wobusa.com/

Mine is a couple miles from several favorite courses. They don't serve food but always have a list of menus of local places that will deliver in!!

#234 mflores

mflores

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38844
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

A couple of recent purchases turned out real good

Awesome - Three Floyds MunsterFest - best fall beer I've tasted
New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest - very balanced and a great beer as well

Not sure how many have tried New Glarus brewery - its definitely producing great beers. They make a summer wheat called Dancing Man which was outstanding
SLDR Accra Tour Z
TEE XCG7 15 Black Tie
2007 Burner TP 5 wood
Titleist 714 AP2 PXi 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Golo N7
Vokey Forged 50, 54R & 60K

#235 IronOrr

IronOrr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

Finally got to try Russian River Blind Pig.  Some friends visited us here in germany and brought a few bottles of Blind Pig and Pliny.

I've had Pliny before but these bottles were less than 2 months old.  So fresh, so much hop character.  Pretty amazing.  Nice change from lager, lager, lager.

3 months left in Germany...need hops.

#236 Scott@84

Scott@84

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 960
  • Handicap:+.3
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

Bought a couple of cases of Victory's Headwaters Pale Ale and also Sly Fox Phoenix Pale Ale for tailgating. Both are pretty solid.
Taylormade SLDR UST Attas 5 GoGo 6
Taylormade SLDR 15* UST Attas5 GoGo 7
Taylormade SLDR 19* Attas RK100X
Taylormade TP MC 4-PW UST Recoil 125
Taylormade Japan ATV 52, 56, 60
Taylormade Crusader Stand Bag

#237 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Last night I popped open a Bruery White Oak.. It's a wheatwine aged on bourbon barrels. Man it was really good.. Big beer at 11.5 or 12% I think.

Then moved to a bottle of Cigar City Marshal Zhukov.. That was a helluva stout, guys.. So thick, so roasty, and above all.. balanced. I'm glad I have more, because it was so good.

I've got a good stash of some good fall beers lined up, as the weather is turning here in Georgia..

#238 itw419

itw419

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34050
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Just picked up a six pack of Bells This One Goes to 11 Ale. It's a limited release imperial red ale with an 11% ABV. Really solid beer. Pretty smooth without the alcholol taste a lot of higher ABV beers have.
RBZ Tour Miyazaki Kusula White 61x
Taylor Made R9 4 wood stock 70x
ClevelandHalo 22*&Adams Super LS 19*
Titleist AP2 710 5- PW X100
Vokey 52*&56* MacGregor 60*
Nike Method Drone Belly

#239 yumbrownies

yumbrownies

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Has anyone tried Odell's The Meddler yet? I was in Ft. Collins recently but didn't get a chance to stop in there.

#240 mflores

mflores

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38844
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - This is beer is a must . Amazing brew here, with an incredible flavor and smell. Kind of vanilla smell and taste at first then the bourbon flavor kicks in. Also has heavy chocolate tones and a fair amount of coffee.

I grabbed a 4 pack last weekend  - limited release but well worth the chase.

SLDR Accra Tour Z
TEE XCG7 15 Black Tie
2007 Burner TP 5 wood
Titleist 714 AP2 PXi 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Golo N7
Vokey Forged 50, 54R & 60K

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors