Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 3 votes

Jones Sports Company Golf bags Pics!!!

231 replies to this topic

#31 TMAGplayer1

TMAGplayer1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132997
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

I love it, Oregon grown! What course are they playing in Oregon?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 RWEEKS

RWEEKS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14880
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

View PostLeftRev, on 15 December 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

View PostRWEEKS, on 15 December 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

I am not familiar with the Jones Sports Company either.  Any background would be appreciated.

Great looking bags!

Jones garnered a good market share in the high school and college team business at one time in there history...offering durable, minimalist type bags with team logos.  You could order a variety of colors and even request certain top divider options.  My Jones bags [ I still have] have lasted a very long time.  I found a profile of the company on the internet but am not sure when it was written:

"Since 1971, Jones Golf has focused on making golf bags that enhance the  golfer's experience - bags that address the player's needs so precisely  and dependably, that they become almost invisible, requiring no wasted  thought or effort. For two generations of golfers, Jones Golf bags have  set the standard for what a golf bag should look like and how it should  function. These classic bags, often custom embroidered for country clubs  and college teams, continue to be the choice of golfers who want their  bag to be more than advertisement for a brand of clubs. Jones Golf  prides itself on its defining bag traits, such as intuitive pocketing  that places everything right where a golfer needs it."

I hope this helps introduce Jones to our younger members who have never heard of the company.

Rev.

Thanks for the information......

Ray

#33 gshlaven62

gshlaven62

Rookie

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47500

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

Still have 1 Jones bag in the garage, that holds all the nostalgia gear.  Got the color all wrong when I ordered it.  Might have to take another chance and get the 21st century version!  Great to hear these are coming back...

#34 3wiggle

3wiggle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9216

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

I used these bags thru HS & College days as well. Yes it was THE bag. It's very coincidental to see this thread, I kept the last one I used in the attic & just dug it out cleaned it up last week. Navy Blue w/white trim. It has the club I worked at the time embroidered on the side 'Oak Cliff CC'. It cleaned up real well. The corduroy material is tough and shows little wear & the trim is still bright after the '409' did it's magic.  The bonus find. a Titleist *384 tour 100*   & a persimmon Hogan 4 wood with the speed slot in the toe. I seriously think I will use this bag next time out.

#35 Bob57

Bob57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103973
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

The original Jones bags were very nice.  Few features but well made.  These just look cheap like someone put a strap on a plastic tube.  For many years many colleges used the old Jones bag instead of the Ping ..

#36 golfprojoe

golfprojoe

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119109

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Sold the jones bag for several years, 1986 thru early 90's  in our shop, had logoed for high school and club members. I saw an ad a few years ago online and ordered 6 bags for carry rental sets,these unfortunately were not very good. They were about 2 inches shorter than all others and no matter how the strap was adjusted the clubs tilted down and fell out. I still have one of the early ones and hopefully these will be as good.

#37 SUBPARJ

SUBPARJ

Advanced

• 496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59375

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

My first high school bag was Jones, and then we went to PIng..back then I thought that was great, but now I wish I had that bag back

#38 LeftRev

LeftRev

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

The Lemman family has been 'amazed', overwhelmed and very grateful for the email response by GolfWRX members to the news that they are resurrecting Jones Golf bags!  

Richard, your post in the Tour and Pre-Release Equipment Forum recalled to many of us earlier days of golf...with a Jones bag thrown over our shoulder.  Others have been introduced to Jones for the first time.  Thanks for your personal input.

I'm sure that the Lemmans are committed to producing the same high quality Jones Bags that we used in the past.  I'm looking forward to purchasing one of the Players' Series bags when they are available.

Thanks to so many of you WRX members who have offered encouragement to the family as they prepare to relaunch an 'Icon'!

Rev.

#39 ragin cajun

ragin cajun

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72378
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

View PostLeftRev, on 19 December 2011 - 09:28 PM, said:

The Lemman family has been 'amazed', overwhelmed and very grateful for the email response by GolfWRX members to the news that they are resurrecting Jones Golf bags!  

Richard, your post in the Tour and Pre-Release Equipment Forum recalled to many of us earlier days of golf...with a Jones bag thrown over our shoulder.  Others have been introduced to Jones for the first time.  Thanks for your personal input.

I'm sure that the Lemmans are committed to producing the same high quality Jones Bags that we used in the past.  I'm looking forward to purchasing one of the Players' Series bags when they are available.

Thanks to so many of you WRX members who have offered encouragement to the family as they prepare to relaunch an 'Icon'!

Rev.

This has really gotten me into getting a new bag even though I didn't need one, or want one, but now I think that I may.  I think that's what makes this site so great, a good product can be recognized and get noticed.  Thanks for letting us know about them and thanks to the other members for providing a little history to the younger crowd.  

A few question though, most I am sure will be answered along with details closer to release date:

What are they made out of?  Looks like a leather type material,but I could be wrong.  Someone earlier mention corduroy.
Others mentioned custom divider options, with this be available?
Would like to know a full options list as well as specs and pricing, though again I'm sure I'll have to wait.  I just don't want too, lol.

#40 pga43

pga43

GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 6,429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123025
GolfWRX Likes : 1322

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

View Postragin cajun, on 19 December 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

Rev.

This has really gotten me into getting a new bag even though I didn't need one, or want one, but now I think that I may.  I think that's what makes this site so great, a good product can be recognized and get noticed.  Thanks for letting us know about them and thanks to the other members for providing a little history to the younger crowd.  

A few question though, most I am sure will be answered along with details closer to release date:

What are they made out of?  Looks like a leather type material,but I could be wrong.  Someone earlier mention corduroy.
Others mentioned custom divider options, with this be available?
Would like to know a full options list as well as specs and pricing, though again I'm sure I'll have to wait.  I just don't want too, lol.

Genuine, imitation leather (aka, vinyl).

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 LeftRev

LeftRev

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

All the Jones bags I've owned [with a similar look to the new black 'Players Bag' shown in the photos were made out of nylon.  Honestly, after 10 years with two red Jones nylon bags, the nylon was still without wear but the sun had faded the red color.  LOL  After that much usage, I decided that wasn't much to complain about.

#42 Doublebuck

Doublebuck

Doublebuck

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57747
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:06 AM

Rev.

So...who owns the company (Jones) now? Even the Facebook stuff is confusing. When will they have a Jones website up with details...any idea?

#43 JOHN GOLIA

JOHN GOLIA

On the Bubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3757
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

As I said before. Loved those Bags.
   Must have one again Now!!!!!

#44 LeftRev

LeftRev

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

View PostDoublebuck, on 20 December 2011 - 01:06 AM, said:

Rev.

So...who owns the company (Jones) now? Even the Facebook stuff is confusing. When will they have a Jones website up with details...any idea?

Here is part of the email I received from Matt Lemman regarding the reintroduction of the Jones Bag:

My dad, my brother, and I recently purchased the rights to Jones from McKennon.   We are very excited about it as well.  We'll have an updated website in the  near future.  And we will also be at the PGA show in booth #1611.  

That sounds to me like the ownership has changed hands from McKennon to the Lemmans.

#45 Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones

Jones Sports Co.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151349

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

My name is Matt Lemman and I'm the President of Jones Golf Bags.  

Hope this answers a few questions...

-Our bags will both retail in the $120-$130 range
-The Jones Original will be made with Ballistic Nylon and Vinyl.  
-We will offer (Jones Original) black/white, red/white, grey/white, green/white, navy/white as our first run of colors.
-The Players Series, Matt Black will be all Ballistic Nylon.  ALL BLACK.
-We will offer different colors of the Players Series bag in the future.
-Embroidery will be offered in the future as well, as we are still in the process of college licensing.  

Be sure to tell your local golf shop to order our bags!

Spread the word, Jones Golf Bags are back!

#46 drifter12

drifter12

Major Winner

• 1,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137555
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

great info and thanks for the update! that matte black players bag sounds awesome, once more detailed photos are available please do share them! i like an old version my buddy has, and from the sounds of it these new and improved versions will be a must-have for me :)

View PostDoctor Jones, on 20 December 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

-We will offer (Jones Original) black/white, red/white, grey/white, green/white, navy/white as our first run of colors.
-Embroidery will be offered in the future as well, as we are still in the process of college licensing.  

Ping G25 10.5
906F4 15.5
TEE XCG7 19 Black Tie 7M3.1
MP-15 4-PW C-Taper Lite
MP-T4 52/58
NP2 Notchback

#47 astamm8

astamm8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47696
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

Are the bags rigid? Will they stand up when full of clubs? Are there full length club dividers?

Thanks

#48 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:13.0
GolfWRX Likes : 335

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

I saw a nice bag on eBay recently, which was described as a "GJ Original Vintage Relaunch".

Vintage  re-make of a classic & iconic golf bag - single strap, three way  divided 7.5 inch top, classic Jones Sport bottom and "step down" top  design.  Combination of 900 denier nylon in black, and crisp white synthetic leather trim.  31" in height, iconic split ball pocket with  small valuables sleeve and full ball pocket.  Cris-cross handle, and  adjustable well padded single strap.  Nothing you don't need on this  bag.  Fits 14 clubs

I've attached a few pics I downloaded from the listing.

Is this one of your new ones Doctor Jones ?

They look really great I reckon!

GJ0.jpg

GJ1.jpg

GJ2.jpg

GJ3.jpg
'Tis the hickory season ...
Geo Duncan Driver, Brassie
W.Jeffery Bulldog; Tom Stewart irons:
Driving Mashie, Mashie Iron, Jigger
Mashie, Lofter, Spade Mashie, M.Niblick
Niblick, Nicoll Howitzer, Eskit putter

#49 jwo

jwo

Major Winner

• 1,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30639
  • Ebay ID:nitrofanatic
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

View Postpga43, on 15 December 2011 - 09:17 PM, said:

They were "the Bag" before Ping bags became the carry bag of choice for high school & college golf teams.

Greg

Yes they were. Still have a blue and white one somewhere.
try outs are ongoing
PING G15 15* Project X black
PING I15 20*/ TFC 800 s
Titleist 735cm 5-pw s300/AP2 712 4 iron
Vokey TVD M 52*/Ping Tour W 56-60
Ping 1/2 craz-e cb 36"

#50 stickman

stickman

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1581
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

Definitively going to get one as long as the price is reasonable.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 blopar

blopar

blopar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4327
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

Sorry to be a heretic, but the Mackenzie retro bags have both Jones and  
    McKennon (whoever owns whom) beat off the map in terms of panache, styling,
    balance and construction !!

#52 bldolat

bldolat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116598
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

They had the best straps also!

#53 Seve0992

Seve0992

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11450

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

Sweet looks.  I hope they are reasonably priced... and a stand would still be a nice option.

#54 Doublebuck

Doublebuck

Doublebuck

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Thanks so much for this update and clarification. I wish you and your new company all the best.

#55 Doublebuck

Doublebuck

Doublebuck

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Doc, it would be great for the members here if you could post some pictures as your company moves forward. Looks like you have a great following on Golfwrx. If you have the inclination take a look at what Machine Putters have done here on line showing their creations, process and providing updates. Just a couple of cents worth.

#56 dfreshley

dfreshley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15027
  • Ebay ID:dfreshley
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

View PostBlade Junkie, on 24 December 2011 - 08:34 AM, said:

I saw a nice bag on eBay recently, which was described as a "GJ Original Vintage Relaunch".

Vintage  re-make of a classic & iconic golf bag - single strap, three way  divided 7.5 inch top, classic Jones Sport bottom and "step down" top  design.  Combination of 900 denier nylon in black, and crisp white synthetic leather trim.  31" in height, iconic split ball pocket with  small valuables sleeve and full ball pocket.  Cris-cross handle, and  adjustable well padded single strap.  Nothing you don't need on this  bag.  Fits 14 clubs

I've attached a few pics I downloaded from the listing.

Is this one of your new ones Doctor Jones ?

They look really great I reckon!

Attachment GJ0.jpg

Attachment GJ1.jpg

Attachment GJ2.jpg

Attachment GJ3.jpg

I would buy this one today if it was available... classic simplicity and understated function...Exactly what I want in a simple carry bag  :idhitit:

#57 Drexel64

Drexel64

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26433
  • Ebay ID:Temple67

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

I had a a Jones bag my Freshman year of College, the team switched to ping for my sophmore year. I must admit
the jones bag was bullet proof!

#58 LG123

LG123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147733
  • Ebay ID:plusgolf

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

Can't wait to buy one to use the bottom plastic piece as my golf club punching bag as I did as a Jr. golfer.  Time to stock up on duct tape.

#59 ssp

ssp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80259
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Back in the day ... it was the only bag to have.  I will order one when available.  I might even start walking again ... Notice in the pictures the proper technique for carrying a bag (IMHO).

#60 Steelhead

Steelhead

Advanced

• 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3852
  • Ebay ID:Runwild
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

View PostTMAGplayer1, on 16 December 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

I love it, Oregon grown! What course are they playing in Oregon?

One of the pics is Big Meadow GC (Black Butte) for sure! Cool bag. Gotta have one.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors