Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New ball for a mid handicapper?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MikeRK

MikeRK

Sir Stroke-A-Lot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151075
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

Im new here so if I did something wrong...be gentle please. :)

I decided to look for a new golf ball to play. I currently use Titelist ProV1's. They are expensive and they are high compression golf balls. My current swing speed is really not a good match for them. I use them because they play so well around the greens. They stop, they putt softly and they will back up if you need them to.

But I need a little more distance and am willing to sacrifice a little control to get it. I need a 6 iron to get 150 yards (5 years ago I could hit my 7 iron 150). My drives are OK, but my irons are getting a bit weak.

I did a ton of research looking for a ball that would give me a few extra yards, but not be as hard as a rock doing so. Everything I read led me to one particular ball. Almost without exception this ball came up in the discussion, and the reviews on it are almost too good to be true. And...

It is a Top Flite. Posted Image

It is the Top Flite Gamer V2. It is a 3 piece ball and it is supposed to play very much like the ProV1 around the green, but be longer off the irons. So I got a dozen.

I have a space behind my office that I can shag balls in. I teed up a Titelist this morning and hit a solid feeling 8 iron and watched it fly as I am used to. Then I teed up the Top Flite and hit a very similar shot. The Top Flite had a higher trajectory, flew 10 yards farther and rolled another 5. The Titelist stopped dead in its tracks when it landed (as it is usually does).

Anyone here ever try these Top Flite Gamers? If so...what is your opinion?

I will play a full round with them this week, hopefully they will give me back a little of what father time has taken away. Posted Image

Mike

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 cb24

cb24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142533
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

these are the balls a lot of people love on here if they arent going for the premium balls.  I havent playe them, but maybe one day I will slum it and try them out :)

#3 Cal54

Cal54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97707
  • Handicap:18

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

View PostMikeRK, on 14 December 2011 - 11:39 AM, said:

I decided to look for a new golf ball to play. I currently use Titelist ProV1's. They are expensive and they are high compression golf balls. My current swing speed is really not a good match for them. I use them because they play so well around the greens. They stop, they putt softly and they will back up if you need them to.

But I need a little more distance and am willing to sacrifice a little control to get it. I need a 6 iron to get 150 yards (5 years ago I could hit my 7 iron 150). My drives are OK, but my irons are getting a bit weak.

I did a ton of research looking for a ball that would give me a few extra yards, but not be as hard as a rock doing so. Everything I read led me to one particular ball. Almost without exception this ball came up in the discussion, and the reviews on it are almost too good to be true. And...

It is the Top Flite Gamer V2. It is a 3 piece ball and it is supposed to play very much like the ProV1 around the green, but be longer off the irons. So I got a dozen.

I played the gamer v-2 and liked them but started playing burner tps and get more distance with driver and irons. Putting is a little more clickish but adjusted to it. Played my best games with the burner tps and Dicks has had some great deals on them.

I have a space behind my office that I can shag balls in. I teed up a Titelist this morning and hit a solid feeling 8 iron and watched it fly as I am used to. Then I teed up the Top Flite and hit a very similar shot. The Top Flite had a higher trajectory, flew 10 yards farther and rolled another 5. The Titelist stopped dead in its tracks when it landed (as it is usually does).

I will play a full round with them this week, hopefully they will give me back a little of what father time has taken away. Posted Image

Mike

Edited by Cal54, 14 December 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#4 suwdawg

suwdawg

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105294

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

V2 is  a good one to ry also try the diablo tour as well. Of course these type of balls aren't going to be as good around the green but if your looking for distance they may help you. For me the diablo tour is good ball for me this time of year and I save a few bucks as well for my mid cap game its fine.

#5 marte

marte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149323
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

hI mikeRK

Fine 1st post.

Thinking of trying the V2 next season-hearing good things about it here.  Do you know what your Swing Speed is?  I'm 85-90.  If you have a chance will you be doing a little driver distance testing...ProV vs V2...hit them both on the course....several shots with each on the same hole and then compare distance.  If you do  sure would like to hear about YOUR results.  I'd like to know, if, in real life, slower SS (if you have one) actually get more distance with a lower compression ball like the V2  than the ProV.  So far hearing from a few high SS on another thread, some saw no distance gain and others just a few yards, with driver,  between the "distance" and "tour" balls,  So am interested to know if slower SS find a difference between the 2.  I'm looking for a few extra yards also.  Play well this week.

#6 Agent Jim

Agent Jim

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130281
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 464

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

I really like them. here is a good deal on them

http://www.golflandw...-Golf-Ball.html
Ping I25 8.5 PWR75 45.25"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5
Adams Super LS 17 & 22
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Cleveland 588 RTX CB/SC Cali Fastback
Callaway Chrome Yellow
WITB Link

#7 Desert Golf

Desert Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25707
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

I too am a short hitting (225 driver) 150 yard 6 iron mid handicap (11) and I play the Bridgestone E5's.  The urethane cover gives me good greenside control and the 2pc construction gives me a bit more distance.

I haven't tried the Topflights but they are probably a good fit for your/our game.
R9 Supertri 10.5 Accra AC65 M3
Titleist 904f Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX
Mizuno MX25
Odyssey Black Tour #5

#8 Golfo5

Golfo5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103586

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Mike

Hi Mike,

I tried all three piece balls (Gamer V2, Burner TP, Diablo Tour, E6, E7, Vapor Speed, NXT Tour..) and a lot of urethane balls and 2-piece balls.
Gamer V2 is a very good and long all around ball (my fav. ball). Looking for max. distance you could give Bridgestone E7 (103 compression) a try.

Another very very long ball is the Callaway Diablo 2009 (not the newer Diablo HX). Only 66er compression, that means very soft feeling with irons but explosive off the driver.
I like the ball in cold weather. It is a 2-piece ball and won 2010 in an european contest (robotest) over  30 balls. So every time a good try with ss < 95 mph.

Best / longest urethane balls for slower ss: Taylormade TP Red LDP (little bit hard to find, because it is an older ball) and Wilson FG Tour.

Edited by Golfo5, 15 December 2011 - 02:19 AM.

#9 MikeRK

MikeRK

Sir Stroke-A-Lot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

Wow, some great advice here. Much appreciated. It seems as though I have more than one possible direction for my quest to follow. That is great! I love having choices.

I can certainly hit a few of each ball off the tee during my next round and let you guys know if I really gain any distance with the driver.

I am fairly happy with my driver distance (sure I wish it was more but it is adequate) but was really looking for a little pump in my irons.

Of course, what I really need is a ball that will follow the path I envision on my putts. Not the path I actually strike, the one I see. :lol:

#10 Golfo5

Golfo5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103586

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

View PostMikeRK, on 15 December 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

Wow, some great advice here. Much appreciated. It seems as though I have more than one possible direction for my quest to follow. That is great! I love having choices.

I can certainly hit a few of each ball off the tee during my next round and let you guys know if I really gain any distance with the driver.

I am fairly happy with my driver distance (sure I wish it was more but it is adequate) but was really looking for a little pump in my irons.

Of course, what I really need is a ball that will follow the path I envision on my putts. Not the path I actually strike, the one I see. :lol:
When you compare the distance, you should know that higher compression balls and most of urethane balls need more temp.
So a lot of guys here, have their fav. summer and winter balls...

Very cold.. Cally Diablo 09-)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Rudd

Rudd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131349
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

Been following this post...
Thanks for the feedback that you guys have provided to the op!
I moved back to GA last year, and now that I get to play in the winter I have been trying so many different balls. Bridgestone B330 and the Pentas just do go as far, but the darn DT Solo and Burner LDP go a mile...;)

Going to grab some of the Callway Diablo 09 at PGS SS or GS today. Great info guys, Thank You!

Edited by Rudd, 15 December 2011 - 07:18 AM.

#12 MikeRK

MikeRK

Sir Stroke-A-Lot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

OK, several rounds in with the Gamer. All results below are based on my game...your mileage may vary.

It does not fly any further than the ProV1's I was using. Not even a couple of yards.

It does not fly any straighter than the ProV1's I was using. ( I hit a pretty straight ball though)

It does not stop as quickly as the ProV1's I was using.

It putts fine, no issues with feel.

It does not feel all that different off the club face. (Irons or driver)

It costs less than half what the ProV1 costs new.

I bought a couple more dozen to give the ball a really fair shake. So far I have not seen any reason NOT to play this ball, but I admit I like the way the Titelist plays on shorter shots better.

Well worth a try at least.

Mike

Edited by MikeRK, 20 December 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#13 teekaywhy

teekaywhy

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20805
  • Ebay ID:pipedream77
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

I used to play V1s all year round until I found a Gamer V2 in the woods a few weeks ago....while looking for a lost V1.  Ironic...isn't it?

temps were in the low 50's.  not bad but not shorts weather either.
Played the Gamer V2 for about 6 holes and was thoroughly impressed.  

It's not a pro v1 as far as green side spin.  on 80 yard low puch spinners, it would hop once or twice and stop whereas the v1 stops and backs up.  
Off the putter it felt good.  somewhat clicky but not like rock flites of old.
off the driver, no real distance gain.  didn't notice any real difference in roll out...maybe 5 yds.  but then again i'm a high spin player off the tee so i don't get much release on any ball.  

Overall, i am making the gamer v2 my winter ball.  no doubt.  can't beat the price either.  

Anyway,

Mike

#14 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Here is what you do.  Go to your local Target store, where they have clearanced out Srixon Z Stars for $19.99 and stock up.  It is a tour ball with lower compression and a Urethane cover.  Will perform with the best balls on the market and is very durable.
Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

#15 MikeRK

MikeRK

Sir Stroke-A-Lot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

I will look, but our season is 12 months long here, we seldom see golf balls on clearance.

Thanks for the tip!

#16 marte

marte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149323

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

MikeRK...thanks for posting your test results.  I'm a little surprised you saw no distance increase with V2.  Maybe your SS is fast enough to hit ProV ok.    Do you know what your SS is... or... approx how far you hit driver?   I'm trying to relate your results to ss and then compare your ss/driver distance to mine...

It seems faster swingers 100+ mph see no or very little distance gain... cheaper "distance" ball vs. "tour" ball.  Maybe you fall into this category.  I'm 85-90mph ss and hit driver 220-230 on average and am going to give  V2 a try this summer.

Edited by marte, 23 December 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#17 MikeRK

MikeRK

Sir Stroke-A-Lot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

My average driver strike goes about 220-230.  I dont swing very fast.

I was also surprised that I saw no distance increase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors