Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 3 votes

Bourbon

535 replies to this topic

#91 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138522
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'm trying to get my hands on a bottle of the Antique Collection... I haven't seen it in stores around here, and i think I missed the release by 2 months.

I'm actually finishing a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel... it was $25 dollars and is amazing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#92 Jbird33

Jbird33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154081
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Yes to all of it....Flame away, but I might even drink a little  Tennessee Whiskey every now and then too.

#93 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I've got a bottle of Pritchard's Double Barrelled, which is made in TN. It's a bourbon, but they make a TN Whiskey as well...

Jack Daniel's is too sweet for my tastes.

#94 mflores

mflores

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38844
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Just finished some Blantons - unique but a favorite

No Pappy released in the Chicagoland area yet - I hear in the next 2 weeks though

The Four Roses barrel strength runs $60 a bottle by me - is that worth it? Does it compare to anything as far as taste?

Anyone have any experiences with the E Willams single barel stuff - good bang for the buck?
SLDR Accra Tour Z LS
TEE XCG7 15 Black Tie
2007 Burner TP 5 wood
Titleist 714 AP2 PXi 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Golo N7
Vokey Forged 50, 54R & 60K

#95 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Evan Williams Single Barrel = good.

I haven't had Four Roses barrel strength... the single barrel is amazing for the price, so I assume the barrel strength is also pretty good.

#96 itw419

itw419

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34050
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I got a bottle of Evan Wiliams Single Barrel and love it.  The liquor store by my house bought the whole barrel. I also really like Buffalo Trace lately.  How much is a bottle of Pappy?  The more reasonably priced bottle not the 23 year.
RBZ Tour Miyazaki Kusula White 61x
Taylor Made R9 4 wood stock 70x
ClevelandHalo 22*&Adams Super LS 19*
Titleist AP2 710 5- PW X100
Vokey 52*&56* MacGregor 60*
Nike Method Drone Belly

#97 JBent9610

JBent9610

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24311
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostMyherobobhope, on 08 November 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

I'm actually finishing a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel... it was $25 dollars and is amazing.

I just tried this for the first time tonight and I completely agree with you, amazing! I never thought anything would beat Woodford for around the same price, but this is at least equal to, if not better, than Woodford. Great stuff!

#98 Cruisers

Cruisers

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113765
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postmflores, on 08 November 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

No Pappy released in the Chicagoland area yet - I hear in the next 2 weeks though

I've heard this is released around Thanksgiving.  How do you know where to get it?

Scratch that...read further back in the thread.  Chasing it down is NOT fun :angry:

Edited by Cruisers, 20 November 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#99 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Pappy is a challenge... I actually finished off a bottle of 10 year 107 proof last Sunday... shared it with some buddies. We had a cigar and bourbon day while the wives were baby-showering... it was great.

Still have an opened bottle of 13 year rye and an unopened bottle of 12 year bourbon.

I will finish them soon... I've decided not to hoard bourbon any more.

#100 mflores

mflores

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38844
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Pappy was released today in Chicagoland - I grabbed a 12 year, 15 year and 20. Most store I visited were down to a few bottles - the rye went the quickest.

SLDR Accra Tour Z LS
TEE XCG7 15 Black Tie
2007 Burner TP 5 wood
Titleist 714 AP2 PXi 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Golo N7
Vokey Forged 50, 54R & 60K

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#101 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

View Postmflores, on 23 November 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Pappy was released today in Chicagoland - I grabbed a 12 year, 15 year and 20. Most store I visited were down to a few bottles - the rye went the quickest.
You are lucky.  In the San Francisco Bay Area, I know of at least one store that has a lottery system and with others it's a waiting / call list and always limit one per customer.

#102 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I was at a store when they released their pappy.. I decided to skip it this year.. I have a bottle of 12 that's only had a few drams poured from it.

Dont get me wrong.. it's all good stuff, but now days.. it's coming from similar places... Some will scoff at the "Buffalo Trace", but it's no different than PVW..

I have some of both in my cabinet. I like Woodford for everyday pours.

I also homebrew, and love craft beer more than bourbon, and I'll say.. Heaven Hill barrels taste amazing for most beers, better than most, and in some cases, better flavor than PVW.. I did have a scotch ale aged on 23 PVW that was stellar last week.

Edited by FATC1TY, 24 November 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#103 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

View PostFATC1TY, on 24 November 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

I was at a store when they released their pappy.. I decided to skip it this year.. I have a bottle of 12 that's only had a few drams poured from it.

Dont get me wrong.. it's all good stuff, but now days.. it's coming from similar places... Some will scoff at the "Buffalo Trace", but it's no different than PVW..

I have some of both in my cabinet. I like Woodford for everyday pours.

In terms of coming from the same place, it is and it isn't... there are only a few actual distilleries in KY, and most bottlers buy lots of barreled bourbon. I believe Pappy still has their own recipe made, and the newest bottles are the initial run from Buffalo Trace. They still have a master bottler who picks the barrels, and the age their bourbons significantly longer.

That said, there are LOTS of amazing bourbons being made right now... Pappy has become a fun quest, but not a necessary bottle in your cabinet.

My goal for next year is to make it to the Four Rose's distillery in time to pick up there 13 and 18 year old bourbons. Their single barrel bourbon is amazing, however.

I don't think Woodford is worth the money, personally... the double oaked is awesome, the regular stuff is OK.

There are lots of fun bourbons to try. I'm pretty excited about the bottle of Double Oaked Pritchard's that I'm going to open next (need to finish my bottle of Pappy Rye first).

#104 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

I actually enjoy a Booker on the rocks.. I like my drink neat, but Bookers is a fun bourbon to sip on and enjoy over the course of the evening. A bit hot, but man it's so flavor packed.

The hunt for Pappy will be fun, but it's more fun to find a pour that you enjoy, regardless of the name. I'm big into craft beer, and I brew myself.. The chase is fun, but getting something you enjoy regardless of price and name is worth it.

I agree though, Four Roses Single barrel is really nice. Helluva drink.

#105 sefus12

sefus12

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92725
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostFATC1TY, on 27 November 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

I actually enjoy a Booker on the rocks.. I like my drink neat, but Bookers is a fun bourbon to sip on and enjoy over the course of the evening. A bit hot, but man it's so flavor packed.

The hunt for Pappy will be fun, but it's more fun to find a pour that you enjoy, regardless of the name. I'm big into craft beer, and I brew myself.. The chase is fun, but getting something you enjoy regardless of price and name is worth it.

I agree though, Four Roses Single barrel is really nice. Helluva drink.

Agreed about Booker's.  Having a glass of that one (I prefer neat, but that's how I drink all good bourbon) is a treat.  I live in Louisville, KY and finding Pappy's is damn hard around here.  I have had the 15, 20, and 23 (15 being my favorite, then 23, then 20) but have yet to find a bottle of the rye.  It's on my to-do list, but I'm afraid I may have to wait until next year to get it done.

Nike CT 2.0 w/Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
TM Rocketballz Tour 13*
Titleist 913h 17* w/D+ 92s
TM Rocketbladez Tour w/KBS Tour S
Odyssey Rossie FB1
Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges

#106 Jbird33

Jbird33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154081
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

I usually drink my Bourbon on the rocks, too, but the first time I had a pour of Booker's, I drank it like I did everything else....You won't forget that experience all that easily.  Wow.  Hot is a good description.  Table whiskey for me is Bulliet or Knob Creek, and it's a lot hotter than those two.

#107 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3629
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostFATC1TY, on 07 December 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

I'm pretty partial to Woodford myself. Splash of Coke, and call it a drink.

Been having a cough lately, so a nice woodford hot toddy has really helped me settle down and sleep. Don't laugh!!

Got a bottle of 1792, and while it's good, it's not as good as Woodford, to me.

I'm a Woodfords fan too. Either on the rocks or with a spash of water. MMMMMMM.

#108 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostJbird33, on 28 November 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

I usually drink my Bourbon on the rocks, too, but the first time I had a pour of Booker's, I drank it like I did everything else....You won't forget that experience all that easily.  Wow.  Hot is a good description.  Table whiskey for me is Bulliet or Knob Creek, and it's a lot hotter than those two.
If you can track down George T. Stagg, try that.  142 proof baby!

#109 Mi-Golfer

Mi-Golfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56273
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I've always wondered - due to Pappy's relative scaricity do bars ever serve it by the glass? I image it would be cost prohibitive to say the least.

#110 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostMi-Golfer, on 30 November 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

I've always wondered - due to Pappy's relative scaricity do bars ever serve it by the glass? I image it would be cost prohibitive to say the least.

You can find it in bars... especially in Louisville (or any Bobby Flay restaurant, for some reason).

Cheapest I have ever found was $1 / year (15 year was $15, 20 was $20)... and it's a great restaurant as well (Seviche).

I've seen it upwards of $40 some places.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#111 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

Takin' dumps and shakin' rumps

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Handicap:+0.9
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

I'm a big Buffalo Trace fan, I've got some Knob that I'm working my way through but it's just not quite doing it for me.

I'll have to try the Pappys that everyone seems to be so fond of.
Stuff n' things....
2014 Silo Ridge Club Champion

#112 daco81se

daco81se

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52866
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Glad I found this thread, as I'm looking for some options for trying new Bourbons, been a scotch drinker for years but been drinking more Bourbon lately, mostly JD Black (I know, Tenn. whiskey but still), looking for something different, not a Crown drinker but have bought several bottles of Crown Reserve, like it, but just TOO smooth, not any bite, same with Gentlemans Jack.

Had some Jefferson's Reserve last week and it was perfect, smooth but alittle bite and a great taste. It would be my new drink except its just a tad too expensive ($55 for 750 ml) and hard to find (nobody around here carrys it)  so I'm looking for something that tastes as close to that as possible.

Thought I'd see how the Woodford compares, and then the Knob Creek. Anybody that has tried the Jefferson's have any recommendations for something that is closest to the Jeffersons?

#113 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Lots of places around atlanta.. well.. not LOTS, but I see it if you look for it, will sell by the glass. One of my favorite places to eat has a 23year pour for $27 I think.. High, but hell.. if you can't find it and want to try it.

#114 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• 5,414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63615
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 556

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Pappy's must be good.  My local shop says they've "ordered" it every week for a long time, and last got it 3 years ago, LOL
Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
WITB Link

#115 Mi-Golfer

Mi-Golfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56273
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

View PostMyherobobhope, on 30 November 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

You can find it in bars... especially in Louisville (or any Bobby Flay restaurant, for some reason).

Cheapest I have ever found was $1 / year (15 year was $15, 20 was $20)... and it's a great restaurant as well (Seviche).

I've seen it upwards of $40 some places.

That's great, I'll keep asking - who knows unless you ask right?

Edited by Mi-Golfer, 03 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#116 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

View Postdaco81se, on 30 November 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

Glad I found this thread, as I'm looking for some options for trying new Bourbons, been a scotch drinker for years but been drinking more Bourbon lately, mostly JD Black (I know, Tenn. whiskey but still), looking for something different, not a Crown drinker but have bought several bottles of Crown Reserve, like it, but just TOO smooth, not any bite, same with Gentlemans Jack.

Had some Jefferson's Reserve last week and it was perfect, smooth but alittle bite and a great taste. It would be my new drink except its just a tad too expensive ($55 for 750 ml) and hard to find (nobody around here carrys it)  so I'm looking for something that tastes as close to that as possible.

Thought I'd see how the Woodford compares, and then the Knob Creek. Anybody that has tried the Jefferson's have any recommendations for something that is closest to the Jeffersons?

There are lots of great cheaper bourbons out there right now.

If you are a costco member, their bourbon is dirt cheap and awesome.

Four Roses Single Barrel is always good.

Old Forester Signature is the best bourbon / dollar.

Bulleit is great.

Stick to bottles under $30 and you will find at least one that you like...

Honestly, I think Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve are over-priced... Woodford Reserve double oaked is great, though.

#117 daco81se

daco81se

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostMyherobobhope, on 03 December 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

There are lots of great cheaper bourbons out there right now.

If you are a costco member, their bourbon is dirt cheap and awesome.

Four Roses Single Barrel is always good.

Old Forester Signature is the best bourbon / dollar.

Bulleit is great.

Stick to bottles under $30 and you will find at least one that you like...

Honestly, I think Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve are over-priced... Woodford Reserve double oaked is great, though.

Thx for the recommendations, I'm going to try them, just got on the local liquor store site and since they have Old Forester in a 250 ml I'm going to pick up some tomorrow along with a 750 of Bulleit, will be a good test (I'll let you know what I think). If either is close to the Jeff Res., I'll stop there, if not I'll try the 4 Roses this weekend.

As I stated, the JR is the first whiskey I've drank and said wow, that's really darn good. In additon to JD, G/mans, Crown Res, I've had Weller, Dickel, and I believe Knob Creek a while back and enjoyed them, but not like the JR.  I've also had Makers Mark, quite a bit as my neighbor always had it, I could tell it was a good whiskey, just not my cup of tea (whiskey).

#118 daco81se

daco81se

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Tried Bulleit, not a fan, had a medicine type of taste to me, not for me, I'll try a few of the others mentioned though.

#119 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Well, hopefully you enjoy Four Roses... it's probably my favorite of the bunch.

#120 80footputt

80footputt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87949
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Scored a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, primarily due to the positive comments in this thread.  Outstanding bourbon!  My new go to brand as it's reasonably priced ($33 Ohio) and is truly well crafted.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors