Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 5 votes

Bourbon


1215 replies to this topic

#1021 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Hello

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 558

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

 kalamazoo, on 09 May 2018 - 05:45 AM, said:

 Shifty242, on 08 May 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

 kalamazoo, on 07 May 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Questions for the Pappy fans...is it worth all the trouble or should I just quit trying with the raffles?

In my opinion it is NOT worth the trouble. In Texas the likelihood of finding any PVW or BTAC at msrp is nearly impossible. They can be found at stores where they have been marked up significantly by the owners. I don't hold it against them. I'm just not going to be the customer who buys it at that price.

Question: in Michigan are you playing a raffle to buy at msrp? Or just to buy at whatever price the liquor store says?

If you like wheated bourbons, then there are many other options that are (1) readily available and (2) reasonably priced. Save your money and try it in a bar someday...

I'm sure it's marked up some, but the raffles are as close as I'm going to get to buying it at msrp. The Mega Bev chain of stores hosts them every year in my area.

Yeah I'm just on like a 8 year waiting list for some PVW.  I'm sure I'll never get to try it outside of at a bar when I'm feeling frisky and just got paid.

G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#1022 thaar

thaar

    Best 3-putter in town!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
  • Joined: 08/09/2012
  • Location:Centennial, CO
  • Handicap:Ugh
  • Ebay ID:thaar
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

 Shifty242, on 08 May 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

 kalamazoo, on 07 May 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Questions for the Pappy fans...is it worth all the trouble or should I just quit trying with the raffles?

In my opinion it is NOT worth the trouble. In Texas the likelihood of finding any PVW or BTAC at msrp is nearly impossible. They can be found at stores where they have been marked up significantly by the owners. I don't hold it against them. I'm just not going to be the customer who buys it at that price.

Question: in Michigan are you playing a raffle to buy at msrp? Or just to buy at whatever price the liquor store says?

If you like wheated bourbons, then there are many other options that are (1) readily available and (2) reasonably priced. Save your money and try it in a bar someday...

PVW is stupid hard to get these days, but my store doesn't mark it up. We do have a lottery for rare whiskeys every year though where one can get lucky. Before bourbon got super popular, I was fortunate enough to score a couple bottles for a few years, so I do think it's worth it. I guess it really depends on how much of an inconvenience the raffles are.

I would agree with a previous post about finding it at a bar. There are a few bars in Denver that carry it, though it isn't cheap. Right when bourbon started to get popular, I think I paid $45 for a glass of 23yr. Now it's probably double that.
Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

2

#1023 pappaf2

pappaf2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1096

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

 pappaf2, on 09 May 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

 TitleistHOG, on 08 May 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

 pappaf2, on 08 May 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

New bar opened in my area recently. They have Pappy at the bar, $70 a pour.

What year?  20 would be worth it...from what I have heard

Not sure, my brother in law texted me about it.

It was 15 year
We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

3

#1024 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 537

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

 pappaf2, on 09 May 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

 pappaf2, on 09 May 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

 TitleistHOG, on 08 May 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

 pappaf2, on 08 May 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

New bar opened in my area recently. They have Pappy at the bar, $70 a pour.

What year?  20 would be worth it...from what I have heard

Not sure, my brother in law texted me about it.

It was 15 year

$70 a pour for the 15 year is a HARD PASS. $70 for any of them is.
Long Live Nike

4

#1025 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 537

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

 TitleistHOG, on 08 May 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

 third-times-a-charm, on 07 May 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

 TitleistHOG, on 06 May 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Tried Widow Jane the other day.  It was really good.

Anyone heard if Blood Oath Bourbon?

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

NAS means no age statement, NDP is non-distilling producer. Both of those things together = garbage whiskey. Just how it is these days.

Any bourbon without an age statement is generally less than 4 years old and with all the hype around bourbon these days there are new brands popping up left and right from big and small companies, and theyre just sourcing their whiskey from guys like MGP in Indiana and slapping a label on it - and charging $100 for it. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, here's a bourbon photo:

Posted Image

Edited by third-times-a-charm, 11 May 2018 - 08:56 AM.

Long Live Nike

5

#1026 Turbsinthebunk

Turbsinthebunk

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403044
  • Joined: 11/16/2015
  • Location:Missouri
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy".  That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

6

#1027 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 537

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

 Turbsinthebunk, on 11 May 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy".  That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Funny about the Bourdain thing. Chefs like him and Sean Brock of Husk fame really set the bourbon world on fire. Now it's a literal dumpster fire.
Long Live Nike

7

#1028 pappaf2

pappaf2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1096

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

 Turbsinthebunk, on 11 May 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy".  That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.

Edited by pappaf2, 11 May 2018 - 03:57 PM.

We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

8

#1029 Turbsinthebunk

Turbsinthebunk

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403044
  • Joined: 11/16/2015
  • Location:Missouri
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

 pappaf2, on 11 May 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

 Turbsinthebunk, on 11 May 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy".  That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.

Sorry...didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I was trying to say that they seemed to know what they were talking about. I think Old Forester is great. I like to get opinions from people that are in it everyday. I don't have a great deal of experience with higher priced bourbons. I have some Angel's Envy and Woodford Double Oaked at home which I think are good but don't think they justify the higher price over some of my favorites like Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 or Old Forester.

9

#1030 pappaf2

pappaf2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1096

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:59 PM

 Turbsinthebunk, on 11 May 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

 pappaf2, on 11 May 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

 Turbsinthebunk, on 11 May 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy".  That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.

Sorry...didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I was trying to say that they seemed to know what they were talking about. I think Old Forester is great. I like to get opinions from people that are in it everyday. I don't have a great deal of experience with higher priced bourbons. I have some Angel's Envy and Woodford Double Oaked at home which I think are good but don't think they justify the higher price over some of my favorites like Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 or Old Forester.

Don't feel bad at all, I was just curious. There is so much bourbon out there it's hard to know it all. I am certainly of low knowledge on the high priced stuff, there's too much good cheap stuff for me to worry about it!

We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#1031 fsusp

fsusp

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95166
  • Joined: 09/25/2009
  • Location:Florida
  • Ebay ID:fsusp
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

 Turbsinthebunk, on 11 May 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

 pappaf2, on 11 May 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

 Turbsinthebunk, on 11 May 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy".  That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.

Sorry...didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I was trying to say that they seemed to know what they were talking about. I think Old Forester is great. I like to get opinions from people that are in it everyday. I don't have a great deal of experience with higher priced bourbons. I have some Angel's Envy and Woodford Double Oaked at home which I think are good but don't think they justify the higher price over some of my favorites like Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 or Old Forester.

Spot on!

I agree!  Tons of solid bourbons at affordable prices!
Cobra F8+ w/Rogue Silver extra stiff
Cobra F8+ w/Rouge Silver extra stiff
TM SLDR 5 wood Diamana 80 gram extra stiff OR Srixon U45 4 iron w/Rouge Silver 70 gram stiff.

Srxion 565 4-7 irons, 765 8-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
                           OR
United SSB1s. 4-PW. Shimada tour mid stiff.

Vega wedges, 50, 54.
Titleist Vokey 58/12 D grind.
Xenon Kutlass or SGC Norwood or Edel or Dave Curry Big Oak Havana

11

#1032 Hilltopper413

Hilltopper413

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 289885
  • Joined: 01/02/2014
  • Location:Kentucky
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

 third-times-a-charm, on 11 May 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

 TitleistHOG, on 08 May 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

 third-times-a-charm, on 07 May 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

 TitleistHOG, on 06 May 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Tried Widow Jane the other day.  It was really good.

Anyone heard if Blood Oath Bourbon?

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

NAS means no age statement, NDP is non-distilling producer. Both of those things together = garbage whiskey. Just how it is these days.

Any bourbon without an age statement is generally less than 4 years old and with all the hype around bourbon these days there are new brands popping up left and right from big and small companies, and theyre just sourcing their whiskey from guys like MGP in Indiana and slapping a label on it - and charging $100 for it. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, here's a bourbon photo:

Posted Image

I hate that mindset.  Donít lump all bourbons in a category together.  Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage.  Some are not.  Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together.  The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon.  The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr.  Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price donít hesitate to grab a bottle.

Edited by Hilltopper413, 13 May 2018 - 08:53 PM.


12

#1033 Hilltopper413

Hilltopper413

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 289885
  • Joined: 01/02/2014
  • Location:Kentucky
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

 pappaf2, on 11 May 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

 Turbsinthebunk, on 11 May 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy".  That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.

Old Forrester is a good bang for buck bourbon, as is Bulleit.  Some of my favorite ďbang for your buckísĒ are Weller Special Reserve, Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond, Old Fitz Prime, and Old Grandad 114.

13

#1034 TitleistHOG

TitleistHOG

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1878
  • Joined: 06/25/2005
  • Location:Warner Robins, GA
  • Handicap:5.3
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

 Hilltopper413, on 13 May 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

 third-times-a-charm, on 11 May 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

 TitleistHOG, on 08 May 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

 third-times-a-charm, on 07 May 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

 TitleistHOG, on 06 May 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Tried Widow Jane the other day.  It was really good.

Anyone heard if Blood Oath Bourbon?

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

NAS means no age statement, NDP is non-distilling producer. Both of those things together = garbage whiskey. Just how it is these days.

Any bourbon without an age statement is generally less than 4 years old and with all the hype around bourbon these days there are new brands popping up left and right from big and small companies, and theyre just sourcing their whiskey from guys like MGP in Indiana and slapping a label on it - and charging $100 for it. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, here's a bourbon photo:

Posted Image

I hate that mindset.  Don’t lump all bourbons in a category together.  Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage.  Some are not.  Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together.  The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon.  The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr.  Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price don’t hesitate to grab a bottle.

I found a bottle of Blood Oath 4 2018....so I grabbed it.

14

#1035 thaar

thaar

    Best 3-putter in town!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
  • Joined: 08/09/2012
  • Location:Centennial, CO
  • Handicap:Ugh
  • Ebay ID:thaar
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

I'll have to keep an eye out for Blood Oath. Thanks for the suggestion, HillTopper!

Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

15

#1036 Hilltopper413

Hilltopper413

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 289885
  • Joined: 01/02/2014
  • Location:Kentucky
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

 TitleistHOG, on 15 May 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

I found a bottle of Blood Oath 4 2018....so I grabbed it.

Awesome!  Let us know what you think.

16

#1037 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

 kalamazoo, on 09 May 2018 - 05:45 AM, said:

 Shifty242, on 08 May 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

 kalamazoo, on 07 May 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Questions for the Pappy fans...is it worth all the trouble or should I just quit trying with the raffles?

In my opinion it is NOT worth the trouble. In Texas the likelihood of finding any PVW or BTAC at msrp is nearly impossible. They can be found at stores where they have been marked up significantly by the owners. I don't hold it against them. I'm just not going to be the customer who buys it at that price.

Question: in Michigan are you playing a raffle to buy at msrp? Or just to buy at whatever price the liquor store says?

If you like wheated bourbons, then there are many other options that are (1) readily available and (2) reasonably priced. Save your money and try it in a bar someday...

I'm sure it's marked up some, but the raffles are as close as I'm going to get to buying it at msrp. The Mega Bev chain of stores hosts them every year in my area.

By all means, keep playing the lottery. That could be an awesome payoff if you manage to win. Otherwise, you can shop on the secondary market.There are quite a few Facebook groups where bourbon is sold and traded and you can also try bottlespot.com. As always, proceed carefully...

Edited by Shifty242, 16 May 2018 - 08:13 PM.


17

#1038 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 537

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

 Hilltopper413, on 13 May 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:


I hate that mindset.  Don't lump all bourbons in a category together.  Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage.  Some are not.  Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together.  The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon.  The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr.  Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price don't hesitate to grab a bottle.

Sorry, but I can't agree. Blood Oath is horrible, terrible whiskey but that's what's good about something subjective - especially for the companies who make it - is that there's always going to be someone who likes it and defends it.

I will say this - it is NOT worth the retail price of $100 which makes it a hard pass. That blend of second-hand whiskies they tossed in there that they proofed down to make palatable should not be sold for over $40. It's pure marketing and novelty.

If you want something good with a high proof - look for a Four Roses private selection from a local store, or a 1792 Full Proof private pick. Even the single barrel shelf versions of those bourbons will be miles better.
Long Live Nike

18

#1039 tips09

tips09

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458556
  • Joined: 03/12/2017
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:41 PM

Oh crap I can't believe I just discovered this thread. This is going to be bad news. Anyways I usually like to stick with budget friendly bourbons and occasionally mix in a nicer bottle every now and then. For me personally my favorite budget friendly bourbons are Knob Creek and 1792.  Any suggestions for similar flavor profile that I can try out? Doesn't have to be super cheap but I don't need a bottle of bourbon eating into my green fee money.
Titleist 915 D2 10.5* Motore Speeder VC 6.2 TS S
Cobra Fly Z 16* Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 S
Cobra King Utility OL Black 18* Recoil 780 ES F4
Srixon Z765 4-pw Project X 6.0
Nike VR Forged Raw 50* 54* DG S400
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* KBS Tour V
Odyssey White Hot RX #2
Srixon Z Star

19

#1040 ousuxndallas

ousuxndallas

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473518
  • Joined: 06/30/2017
  • Location:DFW
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:longhornswin
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:52 PM

Subscribed.  I've had plenty of Pappy, and while it's a nice bourbon, I don't think it's worth a nice driver or set of irons.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#1041 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

    Lefty with occasional game

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Joined: 12/29/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 1031

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:49 PM

Does anyone know if Weller is available in Michigan? It seems like a good alternative to chasing pappy
Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F7 16* w/ Aldila RIP Beta 80s
Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
TP Mills Trad II roundneck

21

#1042 kalamazoo

kalamazoo

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132012
  • Joined: 06/30/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

 1puttTUT, on 19 May 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

Does anyone know if Weller is available in Michigan? It seems like a good alternative to chasing pappy

Weller couldnít be LESS available in Michigan. Itís ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesnít have the inventory space for that.

Apparently thereís never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.

22

#1043 Yanki01

Yanki01

    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
  • Location:Corpus Christi, TX
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 2519

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

well....if you're ever in Texas you could very well find some on the shelf for retail.
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S Nippon WV115
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G


WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

23

#1044 HackerDave

HackerDave

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Joined: 06/06/2008
  • Location:Michigan & Hilton Head SC
  • Handicap:13.5
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

 kalamazoo, on 21 May 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

 1puttTUT, on 19 May 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

Does anyone know if Weller is available in Michigan? It seems like a good alternative to chasing pappy

Weller couldn't be LESS available in Michigan. It's ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesn't have the inventory space for that.

Apparently there's never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.

Up until about 3 weeks, you could find Eagle Rare everywhere.  Suddenly there is not a bottle to be found near me.  Grabbed a couple when I was at the lake this weekend, but it really is amazing how hard some of these are to find.

Here's the kicker.  Went into a local store with my son.  They usually have a nice selection.  Low and behold they have EH Taylor on the shelf....marked up to $80 a bottle!   My buddy bought me a bottle here in MI for $42 two weeks ago.  He also tried to sell my son a double rye for $58...and it was on the shelf at Kroger for $32.  I will never step foot in that store again.

I have never seen Weller on a shelf anywhere.  Our club had a few so I gave it a try.  Very nice but I wouldn't lose my head over finding a bottle.   It is getting disappointing when you visit a store and they have the same bottles on the wall every week.   You know the good stuff is hidden in the back for a select few.

Edited by HackerDave, 21 May 2018 - 02:46 PM.


24

#1045 thaar

thaar

    Best 3-putter in town!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
  • Joined: 08/09/2012
  • Location:Centennial, CO
  • Handicap:Ugh
  • Ebay ID:thaar
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

 Yanki01, on 21 May 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

well....if you're ever in Texas you could very well find some on the shelf for retail.

What are your thoughts on Balcones? I've been trying to see if my buddy in Houston will make a pitstop to grab me a bottle next time he flies out here...

Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

25

#1046 Yanki01

Yanki01

    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
  • Location:Corpus Christi, TX
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 2519

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

 thaar, on 21 May 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

 Yanki01, on 21 May 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

well....if you're ever in Texas you could very well find some on the shelf for retail.

What are your thoughts on Balcones? I've been trying to see if my buddy in Houston will make a pitstop to grab me a bottle next time he flies out here...

Have never tried it before.
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S Nippon WV115
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G


WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

26

#1047 kalamazoo

kalamazoo

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132012
  • Joined: 06/30/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

 HackerDave, on 21 May 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

 kalamazoo, on 21 May 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

 1puttTUT, on 19 May 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

Does anyone know if Weller is available in Michigan? It seems like a good alternative to chasing pappy

Weller couldn't be LESS available in Michigan. It's ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesn't have the inventory space for that.

Apparently there's never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.

Up until about 3 weeks, you could find Eagle Rare everywhere.  Suddenly there is not a bottle to be found near me.  Grabbed a couple when I was at the lake this weekend, but it really is amazing how hard some of these are to find.

Here's the kicker.  Went into a local store with my son.  They usually have a nice selection.  Low and behold they have EH Taylor on the shelf....marked up to $80 a bottle!   My buddy bought me a bottle here in MI for $42 two weeks ago.  He also tried to sell my son a double rye for $58...and it was on the shelf at Kroger for $32.  I will never step foot in that store again.

I have never seen Weller on a shelf anywhere.  Our club had a few so I gave it a try.  Very nice but I wouldn't lose my head over finding a bottle.   It is getting disappointing when you visit a store and they have the same bottles on the wall every week.   You know the good stuff is hidden in the back for a select few.

Itís getting silly isnít it?! Hopefully itíll become like the craft beer market and supply will meet demand. The bourbon market today reminds me of the beer market 3-5 years ago...nowadays you can waltz into some rundown gas station and buy Blacknote.  

All we can hope for is BT increasing production and people gettIng so sick of secondary prices that they STOP paying them and the hype will die down.

27

#1048 thaar

thaar

    Best 3-putter in town!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
  • Joined: 08/09/2012
  • Location:Centennial, CO
  • Handicap:Ugh
  • Ebay ID:thaar
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:39 PM

The problem is that beer can be made in less than 2 months...good bourbon, not so much. Hopefully the distilleries are taking note and increasing production like you said though.
Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

28

#1049 Kyle M

Kyle M

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33100
  • Joined: 06/27/2007
  • Location:Western New York
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

I grabbed a bottle of Eagle Rare a few days ago. A nice bourbon. My go to is Blantonís but there was none to be found. Also scored a bottle of Wellerís Antique 107 yesterday. That gets opened on Sunday. On a side note - how is Michterís?

29

#1050 Shifty242

Shifty242

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499598
  • Joined: 04/19/2018
  • Location:ATX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

 Yanki01, on 21 May 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

well....if you're ever in Texas you could very well find some on the shelf for retail.

Happily confirmed.
There is no shortage of Weller Special Reserve, Antique 107 or the 12 year in the central Texas market


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors