Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

COBRA HS9/ACCUFLEX CREATION REVIEW!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MBA-J

MBA-J

Mr. November

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 805
  • Ebay ID:ballyscientific
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

CANNON!!!!!!!  

Note:  Points based on 5 pt. scale...  

Player Profile:  
Name - Classic  
Location - Springfield, VA, USA  
Age - 27  
Handicap - 4.9  
SS (Driver) - 114 mph  
Avg. Distance (Driver - Total)  287  
Ball - Precept U-Tri Tour  

Test Location:  Bradford Creek Golf Club, Greenville, NC  
Sea Level:  2 ft. above  
Temperature:  66* F

INTRODUCTION:  

Although I am relatively new to the game of golf (6 years,) I have NEVER used a driver clubhead that was larger than 405cc.  In addition, although I post at a number of golf discussion boards, I've never been an owner or user of a premium exotic shaft.  Nevertheless, both aspects of my golf game changed on Saturday, October 7, as I finally hit my new baby, the 9* Cobra HS9 X with the Accuflex Creation 65 shaft, stiff flex.    

APPEARANCE:  

The Cobra HS9 clubhead has an aesthetic that suggests high performance.  From the DEEP, WIDE face, to the careful placement of weights in the sole, the club appears very modern, yet functional.  The application of the carbon composite to both the crown and the sole carefully contrasts well with both the gold "snake" alignment aid and the polished sole plate.  While I'm not a fan of polished soleplates, for some reason, I cannot see the sole at address (sarcasm.)  The club, in X trim, displays a square clubface with less toe protrusion than the sister club, the Cobra X Speed.  The omnipresent Cobra scallops are not distracting at all, as their placement is  well hidden by the carbon composite crown.  

The Accuflex Creation shaft looks like a Fujikura Vista Tour with a sun tan.  The dark gray ion finish (in 65 trim, 80 trim has copper ion finish) blends well with the clubhead.  In my driver, the Creation graphics are pointed down and are invisible in the playing position.  The white text "PRO TOUR ONLY" adds a nice touch.  

Classic Rating:  4.75

FEEL/SOUND:  

All Cobra drivers are notoriously known for one thing:  they are LOUD!!!!!!  The HS9 is no exception, as all strikes on the clubface emit a tone that is noticeably more pronounced than my Titleist 905T, and are downright intrusive when compared to my 983K.  I erroneously imagined the sound to be slightly muffled due to the present of carbon composite materials, but the engineers at Cobra somehow applied a Rockford Fosgate Punch amplifier in the clubhead to make this club LOUD.  Nevertheless, I noticed that the sound varied on different regions of the clubface.  Square hits produced the loudest "TING/BANG," while slightly off-center hits yielded a lower pitched "tink."  This club, given repetitions, allows the golfer to know EXACTLY where the ball was hit.  The feel, while different, was impressive and conducive to improvement.  

Given my lack of familiarity with the feel of different shafts, I was hesitant to compare and contrast the feel of the Accuflex Creation with shafts that I know:  UST ProForce V2 86 and Aldila NV 65.  The butt of the Creation is thicker in diameter than the NV, but smaller than the V2.  Those of us who wear size Medium gloves will not have to go and get a drastically more narrow grip (.600) with this shaft.  During the backswing, the shaft is MUCH easier to load than both the V2 and NV, even at the 65 gram weight.  I have a moderate tempo with a HARD TRANSITION, and the shaft felt more smooth and stable than both the V2 and NV throughout the swing.  The shaft has a smooth, pronounced kick through the impact area that is both different and appealing.  This shaft truly feels "buttery" and unlike anything I've EVER hit in my life.  

The Lamkin Crossline grip that came with this club sucks.  Point blank.  A Golf Pride Tour Velvet .600 is waiting.  But who cares about grips????  

Classic Rating:  5.00  

PERFORMANCE:

I am flat-out dumbfounded.  At my handicap level and driving ability, I'm not supposed to hit high, flat bombs that get up quickly, flatten, travel downrange, descend on the optimum angle, and release 7-14 yards, dead straight.  It's not supposed to happen.  The 10.5* Titleist 905T with Aldila NV 65 had a low launch angle with spin that resulted in a ball flight that launched low, climbed quickly, and descended quickly with little release.  The 9.5* Titleist 983K with UST ProForce V2 86 had a low launch angle with little spin that resulted in a low ball flight that released EARLY.  Nevertheless, the 9* head, REGARDLESS of IMPACT LOCATION, produced a high launching, hot ball flight with LITTLE SPIN!  The HS9 clubhead is flat out AWESOME.  Cobra's marketing team has captured the true essence of the equipment that they advertise:  this driver has a hot face that produces long golf shots.  The 905T required a tee height that is considered low by today's standards.  As a result, I could use 2 1/4 in. tees for all shots around the course, including the driver.  HOWEVER, the Cobra HS9, while performing well at that tee height, becomes an ANIMAL with a 3" tee.  A slight adjustment in the tee height gave me an average of 14 more yards in carry and 10 yards in release (as measured by Pinseeker 1500!)  The best shots gave me the best results; however, intentional mishits gave me performance that was EQUAL TO THE DRIVER THAT I REPLACED.  I do not know why I have not played a "forgiving" driver until this point.  I have, until now, left TONS of performance "on the table."  Driving the ball should NOT be this easy.    

If moving the ball left to right is your goal, stay AWAY from my setup.  I usually draw the ball off the tee for additional roll, but my "draw move" produces a straight shot.  Cobra advertises the club as having a 0.5-1.0* open clubface, and it definitely shows.  There is NO draw bias in this club, similar to the Cobra XX Speed driver.  Draws were possible, but hooks were not.  In the same vein, I could not easily slice this club.  I have to get up early in the morning to slice the ball, but with this club, I might as well stay in the bed.  It won't slice it.  I don't know if it's the AccuFlex Creation's spin reduction qualities, or simply my discovery of a truly "optimum" golf club, but this thing is SPECIAL.  The shaft takes EVERYTHING you can throw at it, as even at the 65 gram weight, I CANNOT overpower it.  This is a GREAT golf club in every aspect.  

Classic Rating:  5.00  

CONCLUSION:  

What more can I say?  Obviously, this driver works great for ME and MY GOLF GAME.  The clubhead, although exotic in looks, is "money" in performance.  The shaft, although exotic, is WORTH EVERY PENNY.  Cobra has made a truly unique club that unfortunately, due to big-brother Titleist and big name competition from Callaway, TaylorMade, and PING, will not get much play in the $399.00 driver market.  However, those that actually TRY the club will either be surprised by the performance, or have their predetermined expectation of success totally realized.  Yank that stock YS in favor of the AccuFlex Creation, and you MAY have an experience similar to those expressed in the previous text.  

But be careful, as this experience caused me to spend even MORE MONEY:  I bought a Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R on Saturday, and I might dip down into the money market to buy an AccuFlex Creation 80 for my 906F2, as well as an ICON for my Baffler Pro.  You HAVE BEEN WARNED!  

There are two morals to this story:  Titleist and FootJoy aren't the only premium products in the Acuschnet camp, and there are companies other than Fujikura, Matrix, and Mitsubishi that can build truly premium golf equipment.  My visor goes off to both Cobra and AccuFlex for creating and distributing truly outstanding golf products.  We as golf consumers are much better off with the availability of your products in our market.  

Classic Overall Rating:  4.97  

Pics to Follow - Still Formatting...

TaylorMade SLDR 430 TP 10.5 Driver
Callaway X2 Hot 15, 19 FW
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW Irons
Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Titleist SC Newport II Pro Plat Putter
Slazenger Raw Distance Feel Ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 IMAGOLFER

IMAGOLFER

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

Nice review!

Its always great to hear stories about people so excited about a new club!

#3 MCCA

MCCA

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Very nice review, you are did on with regards to this driver being very long. I'm a 7 hcp and play a fade so i purchased the 10.0 HS9 and thinking of making a shaft change. I have never hit the tee ball longer or straighter..

mcca

Edited by MCCA, 08 October 2006 - 08:39 PM.

#4 Warszawa

Warszawa

Only at GolfWRX!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14403
  • Ebay ID:wgcordie
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

Solid review. The longer the review the better!

#5 leeux

leeux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16519

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:28 AM

Very nice and detailed review, I have had my eyes on HS9 since it came out and so far have only heard good things about it. Tough to get them at a reasonable price here in Germany though...bummer

#6 nick5003

nick5003

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10365
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

Thank you for the great review. I love my HS9 and agree that it is easily the longest club that I have ever hit. The Harrison Striper J shaft which I have in mine (I know it isn't a expensive shaft, but I'm a college kid) makes for a great combo.

#7 Sakman

Sakman

@ryansako

• Marshals
  • 5,711 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1687

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

Great review! Looking forard to the pics.

#8 Mitchell

Mitchell

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2251
GolfWRX Likes : 1241

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

Glad to see my former driver worked out well for you- thought you would like it!
R510tp 10.5* VTS silver 7sx
TEE CB2 16.5*V2 fwy 95
3-pw Titleist 962b w/ s400
Vokey TVD 56m & proto 60v s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

#9 ubergoober

ubergoober

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4005
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:25 PM

Does anyone know what custom shafts can be ordered from the factory?

#10 martineli69

martineli69

http://juanmartinhoyos.blogspot.com

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9701

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:31 AM

Can anyone tell me the specs of the Accuflex Shaft or point me in the right direction? I have the HS9 X 9.0* with a diamana 73 S and its the straightest driver I've ever hit, but is not longer than my Speed X and I think is because I get too much spin...
Any thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 MatrixcMan

MatrixcMan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1138
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

martineli69, on Oct 13 2006, 08:31 AM, said:

Can anyone tell me the specs of the Accuflex Shaft or point me in the right direction? I have the HS9 X 9.0* with a diamana 73 S and its the straightest driver I've ever hit, but is not longer than my Speed X and I think is because I get too much spin...
Any thoughts?

Which Accuflex shaft ?

#12 p_haun

p_haun

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8788

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

martineli69, on Oct 13 2006, 09:31 AM, said:

Any thoughts?

Contact Jody (on this site) and he will help you out.  Very nice guy.  His username is accuflex

#13 larryd3

larryd3

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4957
  • Ebay ID:ldavisstew

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

Great review.  I have this shaft in play now with a tour r5 head and it's awesome.  Amazing shaft, smooth feeling yet really explosive, hard to describe.  Right now I'm comparing to similar head with a matrix code 6 shaft.  I've only had the creation for a couple of days and on the course for 1 round but at this point, I like it better than the code 6 shaft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors