Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Playing Hickory Golf

• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#331 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:14.8
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

OSR

When numbered hickory sets were introduced they generally had #8 (Niblick) as the most lofted club, with #9 as the putter

So as a "conversion" to say more modern irons, I reckon "+2" is what they generally play, so your 4 iron is effectively the same loft/club as a classic 6 iron, the 5 is a 7 and the 6 is an 8.

For shorter shots you would want a Mashie Niblick or Niblick (#7 or #8 of numbered), though the loft range can be significant on these. The popular Tom Stewart irons had Niblicks that could range from 46 to 57 degrees, all at the whim of whoever commissioned the club! Good gapping in a starter set might be a Brassie at 14 degrees, and irons at 25,35,45,55 and a putter. That would give you 6 clubs that would get you round most courses quite nicely ...

Off the tee, I would recommend a Brassie ("2-wood") with 12-15 degrees of loft and maybe 42" length, or alternatively alot of people like to hit a long iron, which might be 38.5-40" long and have loft 18-25 degrees.

Spring golf :
Wood Bros Texan Driver, 3W
Golden Ram Tour Grind 1-SW
(Vibration Matched)
Acushnet Bullseye Heavy Blade
Mmmmmmmm 1-Iron !!!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#332 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

oldschool:

Glad to see you enjoyed your hickory club round. And when you get a full set "tweeked for you"
its even more fun - I bet you would be pleasantly surprised in play/scoring.

I agree with Geoff - should be about 2 clubs (number wise) difference - loft for loft on irons
not much difference at all. I would normally cover 130 yards with a hard mashie niblick or back
off a spade mashie - but you just have to experiment.

I agree with Geoff also on the wood headed club - I would start with either a spoon or a brassie
(13 to 16 degrees), however the driving irons come in handy too........

Bottom line is - I would forget about (for now) what the club says on it, and concentrate on spacing
the lofts of your irons to cover more shots etc.

Edited by Bella Woods, 16 January 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#333 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Geoff, Bella,
  Thanks for your input.  I agree with the 2 club difference.  It was a cold round and soft fairway conditions yesterday and I didn't take that in consideration.  I will be on the lookout for a wood in the 13-15 * range.  And also for the more scoring clubs.  Hopefully my quest will be swift.

Randy

#334 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Geoff:

You have had a busy last few months.........

Great looking set of woods and irons you have acquired! Looks like you are in for
quite a golfing year in 2014, it will be a lot of fun for you testing and tweaking those
(will be expecting big things on the course from you this year with your new set
as well).

I met Scott Patrick at Mid Pines a few years ago - very knowledgeable guy on the old
hickories (and a good player too).

I really like the bulldog wood, and that is a great natural swingweight on the spade mashie.

Very nice set of clubs - congratulations!

#335 gvogel

gvogel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

The Vermont hickory players just announced that they are moving their championship to the fall and replacing the June event with a two day 4-ball.  They also do a number of one day events through the summer.

The Vermont players really have their act together!

Practice with AP2's,
play with AP1's

#336 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Actually passed on a round of golf today so I could take my 3 hickories to the range and really test them out.  Found them to be more consistent when I chocked up a good bit and didn't go after them with my normal transition.  Also had to adjust my modern swing with respect to turf interaction.  Certainly more of a shallow swing and either pick it clean or just take a sliver of turf.  Still, when I flushed one it felt like pure sex.  As good a feel off the club face as any modern club.  Can hardly wait to get back in the country and look for clubs.

#337 stixman

stixman

stixman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Handicap:10.6
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

DSCF1917.JPG DSCF1918.JPG
The Hickory season is fast approaching and I thought I would share some of the common issues that arise about woods.
First up are two matching woods, driver and brassie, made by Gibson (thanks, Tad) under the R H de Montmorency brand and assembled/ sold by Jim Sherlock...all the bells and whistles for a highly playable pair of clubs. Shafts are good, so no work there and they weigh in at D4 which I wasn't expecting.
Look at the driver tho'. There is some serious denaturing of the persimmon which will require cutting out and replacing with a pegged insert. Drivers tended to be the least played because of the difficulty so the previous owner must have been some player!

The second pair are Jack White Gullane autographs which came to me with shot shafts and swing weights of C3. The shafts have been replaced with new hickory and the driver had the lead back weight gouged out, the port enlarged and the lead repoured to bring it up to D2, which the new shafts will manage just fine. Same process to be done to the spoon. I much prefer pouring lead back weights to the practice of using lead epoxy mix in drilled holes under the brass plates

It is this sort of work that increases the cost of fully playable hickory woods, and while you might be lucky enough to get something mint off Ebay, there is usually a snag somewhere in putting originals straight into play.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1915.JPG

Spring Playing Set
Titleist 983K Driver, 906F2 5 wood
1967 Dynapowers, Wilson R90 SW (real)
Putter- Ping Anser 85029
Chris H

#338 majic

majic

Advanced

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Stix a couple things.  Over here I find woods like that have suffered from someone letting their kids whack things other then golf balls and he faces get damaged.  Nice Jack Whites also made by Gibson & Co.  Shame usually nice original shafts.  Tad

#339 stixman

stixman

stixman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Over here it is playing in rain or heavy dew and not doing basic sealing against the elements; maintenance stuff. The shafts on the Whites had been cut down for kids.
Spring Playing Set
Putter- Ping Anser 85029
Chris H

#340 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

For me - part of the fun is "customizing/fixing" them up for play,
some clubs more costly than others in time/materials.

Some clubs are just a fluff and buff.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#341 stixman

stixman

stixman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Bella Woods, on 16 February 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

For me - part of the fun is "customizing/fixing" them up for play,
some clubs more costly than others in time/materials.

Some clubs are just a fluff and buff.

I would regard it as risky to use a wood without regluing the shaft and rewhipping. Old thermo-labile animal glue degrades over time and becomes brittle. I've seen a few heads fly off into impenetrable rough and even, in Sweden once, into a pond. This was a shame since it was his first shot with it, on the first tee, with a gallery......funny, but a shame! (Torslanda 2001)

Edited by stixman, 17 February 2014 - 11:27 AM.

Spring Playing Set
Putter- Ping Anser 85029
Chris H

#342 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Stixman:

I agree (and learned the hard way about 11 years ago) - I no longer play any newly acquired
hickory club without taking the shaft off and re-epoxying it and doing whatever else it needs.

The learning "experience" was in spring 2003, I was hitting a Kroydon 1 iron just acquired on a
205 yard Par 3 - the club broke under the grip on the downswing and I just missed getting conked
on the head with the head of the club (and almost got strangled by the grip to top it off). The
clubhead never got close to hitting the ball - so I lost a stroke to boot.

The fluff and buff would be for putters (and some niblicks) - I have only had one
putter that I had to take the shaft off to get ready for play (an old H & B).

#343 Kirasdad

Kirasdad

Kirasdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184566
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

I hit my Bonnie Bee niblick once, and the shaft didn't break - it split, right down the middle of the shaft. It actually felt like a good strike (more on that in a bit) but when I held my finish I suddenly realized that the half of the shaft that the club head was still attached to was drooping down toward the ground, while the other half, with a point as sharp as a rapier was pointing to the sky. Weird as can be.

The ball ended up six inches from the hole. The shaft died a hero.

Try doing that with a steel shafted wedge.
Set For Some Seasons/vintage version
Toski persimmon driver and 5 wood
Ben Hogan Apex II 4-9
Macgregor 11 iron FCW 6
Macgregor SW FCW 12
Macgregor Ironmaster putter

#344 stixman

stixman

stixman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

Bella,

When you did the autopsy on your 1 iron did you find the seller had lengthened the shaft ?  You get this a lot on Ebay (and other auctions if the truth be known) and commonly the two sections of wood are joined by a thinner piece of dowelling, cosmetically OK but functionally rubbish!
I lengthen mine using a diagonal splice with 5 inch long faces, epoxied AND pinned. This is so strong I can safely extend by 6 inches. Safety is a very important factor on my 80 sets of rental clubs. I worked this out for myself, and one day I found a club that had come from the Forgan workshop lengthened in exactly the same way, but using pegs rather than steel pins.
Spring Playing Set
Putter- Ping Anser 85029
Chris H

#345 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

Stixman:

Autopsy result - the shaft was really dried out under the grip, club had not
been lengthened. Now I either re-grip them, or remove old grip to be put back on
and make sure the portion of shaft under the grip gets stained/sealed like the
rest of the shaft.

I also use the diagonal slice method (as opposed to drilling a small hole at the
end of the shaft and inserting the extension). But I have only epoxied them - no pins.
3 inches is the most I have had to lengthen any club. But I do it that way even if
only adding 1/2" in length to the club.

Do you put the pin in the middle of the extension you have added? Re: The slice faces
the direction of the shot - so the pin is facing down at the ground in the middle of
the length added? Same size as a hosel pin?

Its nice to know that Forgan used the same method......

#346 stixman

stixman

stixman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

Bella Woods, on 18 February 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

Stixman:

Autopsy result - the shaft was really dried out under the grip, club had not
been lengthened. Now I either re-grip them, or remove old grip to be put back on
and make sure the portion of shaft under the grip gets stained/sealed like the
rest of the shaft.

I also use the diagonal slice method (as opposed to drilling a small hole at the
end of the shaft and inserting the extension). But I have only epoxied them - no pins.
3 inches is the most I have had to lengthen any club. But I do it that way even if
only adding 1/2" in length to the club.

Do you put the pin in the middle of the extension you have added? Re: The slice faces
the direction of the shot - so the pin is facing down at the ground in the middle of
the length added? Same size as a hosel pin?

Its nice to know that Forgan used the same method......

Two pins, one either end of the splice. The splice is oriented exactly as you describe, i.e. like the splice on a scare neck wood.
Spring Playing Set
Putter- Ping Anser 85029
Chris H

#347 majic

majic

Advanced

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

Bella and Stix I have found this method to be the only way to make an extension.  Our friend Roger Hill fist sowed me this years ago and he uses two small screws.  I have never used a screw but I can see the benefit in the alignment at the time of gluing.  I have used small hose clamps to hold and clamp into position the splice. After the epoxy sets I remove the clamps and clean the shaft.  I have never had a spice break.
Tad

#348 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

stixman, on 18 February 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

Bella,

When you did the autopsy on your 1 iron did you find the seller had lengthened the shaft ?  You get this a lot on Ebay (and other auctions if the truth be known) and commonly the two sections of wood are joined by a thinner piece of dowelling, cosmetically OK but functionally rubbish!
I lengthen mine using a diagonal splice with 5 inch long faces, epoxied AND pinned. This is so strong I can safely extend by 6 inches. Safety is a very important factor on my 80 sets of rental clubs. I worked this out for myself, and one day I found a club that had come from the Forgan workshop lengthened in exactly the same way, but using pegs rather than steel pins.
Would be great to see a picture of your splice on the shaft?

Edited by teevons, 18 February 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#349 bajadulce

bajadulce

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265040
  • Ebay ID:tenango88
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

John's Bonnie Bee niblick, Wally's 1 iron, and the head that flew into a Sweedish pond are great stories! :)  I've only had one head fly off and that was a brassie that broke around the neck probably because I didn't know better nor how to remove a shaft from a wooden headed club at the time.  This was the original 90+ year old animal glue as mentioned.  Lesson learned.

When you splice these shafts, do you use a jig or a miter saw for these cuts?  Just curious what angle these cuts are and how long of a splice is sufficient.  Is this just by feel and varied?  I would think a thin dowel + a diagonal splice might even be better?  Hard to drill a hole in a truncated surface tho.
Steve H
Golf, surfing, and sandwiches!

#350 majic

majic

Advanced

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

I am with Stix on the length of the splice.  3-5 inches depending on the length of extension but any extension over 2 inches i go longer then shorter.  I just never was good at drilling the holes or the holes for the screws but i have not had any issues.  Good shafting long cure epoxy and a good fit.  I use either a sander with the angle devise or a saw so I can cut both angles the same.  You will find the correct angle. Tad

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#351 bajadulce

bajadulce

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265040
  • Ebay ID:tenango88
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

What's the difference between a St.Andrews shaft bend and a Carnoustie one?  Tried finding the answer via google, but got nowhere.
Steve H
Golf, surfing, and sandwiches!

#352 stixman

stixman

stixman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

The St Andrews bow is a convex warp in the shaft of a putter, typically. It is fashioned so that the grip aims to the centre of the blade. It's purpose is to help limit the degree to which the putter blade 'turns over' in the stroke, and keeps the blade on line. It is easy to DIY (or undo if you don't like it!)

The Carnoustie bow is not something I'm familiar with, I hope it isn't a concave bow because that has no use whatsoever.
Spring Playing Set
Putter- Ping Anser 85029
Chris H

#353 stixman

stixman

stixman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Have a look at Persimmon Golf Today to see what our Blade Junkie has been up to.
Spring Playing Set
Putter- Ping Anser 85029
Chris H

#354 okesa

okesa

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127405
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

'Struth,another 9-handicapper claiming 15!

#355 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

LOL Okesa!

Alas, much as I'd love a single figure handicap, my 40-odd competition scores over the last two years have me stuck at 15 (14.8). Hoping to improve on that this year ... I had a 9 hole session with my Goodwood pro at the end of January and he said I was a single figure ball-striker but my decision making (club selection,. where to hit it etc) was lousy ... when he called the shots I went round in about +2 or +3 for that nine (I forget exactly). I just need a good caddy who will work for free :)

I suppose if I was a football (soccer) team I'd be Arsenal - pretty to look at but no end product!

Just back from 3 weeks in the States, and am jetlagged to hell after a whole day at work with no sleep on the plane last night, so will post a bit more tomorrow about my AZ/CA golfing experiences !

Spring golf :
(Vibration Matched)
Mmmmmmmm 1-Iron !!!!

#356 okesa

okesa

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127405
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Blade,sleep tight,that course looked stupendous,if I'd been playing there it would have sounded like a flock of woodpeckers!

#357 Aussie_steeler

Aussie_steeler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123671
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Didn't recognise you Geoffrey without your tweed

Swing looks tighter than last time I saw you. Good work

#358 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

okesa, on 24 March 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Thanks Blade,sleep tight,that course looked stupendous,if I'd been playing there it would have sounded like a flock of woodpeckers!

I didn't manage to hit a redwood but there were plenty of resounding echos elsewhere lol.

If you ever get the chance people, that is one course that sets up great for persimmon/blades or hickory.

http://www.northwoodgolf.com/

Aussie_steeler, on 24 March 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Didn't recognise you Geoffrey without your tweed

Swing looks tighter than last time I saw you. Good work

Thanks Darron ! Had 15 lessons in January ... focussed on getting better rotation in the hips and shoulders, and getting less "armsy and handsy". Feels a lot better now! My iron shots can be very precise when I get all the alignment right (still have a tendency to set up aiming way right and thinking it is straight :) )

I hear Lachie has found himself a sweet set of hickory Nicoll Precisions - hope you chaps are getting lots of hickory golf in down there at Waggawagga GC !
Spring golf :
(Vibration Matched)
Mmmmmmmm 1-Iron !!!!

#359 Aussie_steeler

Aussie_steeler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123671
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

Blade Junkie, on 24 March 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

Thanks Darron ! Had 15 lessons in January ... focussed on getting better rotation in the hips and shoulders, and getting less "armsy and handsy". Feels a lot better now! My iron shots can be very precise when I get all the alignment right (still have a tendency to set up aiming way right and thinking it is straight :) )

I hear Lachie has found himself a sweet set of hickory Nicoll Precisions - hope you chaps are getting lots of hickory golf in down there at Waggawagga GC !

I have had a golfing break for a few months. Fishing and a new job has been more enticing than a very dry and hot summer.

Once Lachie gets the nicolls in his possession I think we will be back into some hickory action

#360 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

Had been hoping to play in the Welsh Hickory Championship next weekend but forgot to enter in good time and now it is fully subscribed and I am relying on someone dropping out, which is unlikely.

Anyway, it got me wondering who else is planning on playing hickory events this year and which tournaments will you enter ?

Spring golf :
(Vibration Matched)
Mmmmmmmm 1-Iron !!!!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors