Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 5 votes

Playing Hickory Golf

1593 replies to this topic

#1591 MoaningM

MoaningM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:38 AM

View Postteevons, on 11 August 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

Kirasdad did not ask me about changing weight in the Wilsonian, I think he was asking Tad in particular what his opinion was

What I have found out about hickory woods are the woods with no inserts have defrormed faces from play or are soft from age. Installing a fiber insert makes them play much better and more consistent.

I am in process of reshafting and installing inserts in several woods right now. I have changed SW on several of my players using several different options, see attached pics. I use the tungsten weights, discs,   the eaisiest is cutting the lead rope I have, just drill a small hole and epoxy the rope in, very easy
I am not a fan of poring lead, it is very toxic and you really have to work fast

Tim, as ever you do some fantastic work,

I have a couple of woods which i quite fancy the idea of putting inserts into. How easy is this to do? What sort of tools are required, and where can get inserts from? Do you buy other clubs dismantle and re-use? Can you use inserts from differing era's ie steel shafted era, and would they be allowed to be used in competitive play?

sorry for the 100 ?'s season is coming to an end and im gettingitch hickory/persimmon fingers now :)
cheers

MM

#1592 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
GolfWRX Likes : 711

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

View PostMoaningM, on 24 August 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

View Postteevons, on 11 August 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

Kirasdad did not ask me about changing weight in the Wilsonian, I think he was asking Tad in particular what his opinion was

What I have found out about hickory woods are the woods with no inserts have defrormed faces from play or are soft from age. Installing a fiber insert makes them play much better and more consistent.

I am in process of reshafting and installing inserts in several woods right now. I have changed SW on several of my players using several different options, see attached pics. I use the tungsten weights, discs,   the easiest is cutting the lead rope I have, just drill a small hole and epoxy the rope in, very easy
I am not a fan of poring lead, it is very toxic and you really have to work fast

Tim, as ever you do some fantastic work,

I have a couple of woods which i quite fancy the idea of putting inserts into. How easy is this to do? What sort of tools are required, and where can get inserts from? Do you buy other clubs dismantle and re-use? Can you use inserts from differing era's ie steel shafted era, and would they be allowed to be used in competitive play?

sorry for the 100 ?'s season is coming to an end and im gettingitch hickory/persimmon fingers now :)
cheers

MM
Dave, putting an insert in a club takes some patience. In the old days before power tools the clubmaker just used a wood file to edge out the insert. I use a router on heads that did not have an existing insert. If you watch the youtube video  that Louisville golf shows how they make a persimmon wood they have a template machine that makes the insert  space. I am sure Tad Moore  has ideas also since he is currently making inserts in his hickory woods.
I have insert material I have acquired over the years from clubmakers that sell off their old  material. Tad Moore and Bella have  fiber insert material I am sure they would send to you.
Old Golfworks clubmaker Maltby books have detailed pictures and information on how to make your own insert. I do not think there is anything in the rules of hickory play about insert material, UK might ?? Using old insert materiel should work fine.
Basic tools are files, drill for making screw holes if you want screws attaching, you dont have to. It is wise to use a template for making new insert in face., Use 24 hour shafting epoxy, not quick epoxy since face is being impacted.
Take an old persimmon wood you dont care about to practice with first before you attempt it on a nice hickory head
I contacted Rob Ahlschswede former president of the hickory association regarding inserts and he said there is no rule regarding insert material since from the beginning the clubmakers used many types of insert material, leather, wood, metal etc,

Edited by teevons, 24 August 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#1593 MoaningM

MoaningM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:26 AM

Cheers Tim, i have maltby's book ill have to take a look,

It might be a little out of my skill level, but will give it a go ! Watch out fingers and thumbs!

Cheers again

Dave

#1594 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted Yesterday, 06:46 AM

I look at putting an insert into an old head as a way to extend the life of the head.
A tasteful insert put into a driver looks like it was there from its start.
I have seen many nice old heads with cracked and damaged faces. One of which almost a complete face plate to make a repair.
I am sure someone in 1925 would do the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors