Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 5 votes

Playing Hickory Golf

1405 replies to this topic

#1381 Kirasdad

Kirasdad

Kirasdad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184566
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

Squeezed in 9 yesterday at my home course which at a little over 6000 yds is perfect for hickory. 41, which is a decent score, but the frustrating thing (it is ever thus in golf of course) is how well I struck it. I was either on or within a pace of 8 greens, but then there is the ever present triple out of a bunker where the score goes to pot.

"Oh for a muse of fire and flanged niblick to ascend the steepest bunker face..."
Wm Shakespeare (on taking three to get out of the nasty pot bunker on the devilish 7th at at the Stratford CC)

Set For Some Seasons/hickory version
J. Black 13 degree Spoon/T. Vaughn spoon
Forgan mid iron/Trueline Special mashie
WE Webb mashie nib/Alex Ross mashie nib.
Bonnie B lofted niblick
Brass flanged no name putter

#1382 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 1092

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

Kdad,
  Am sure The Old Bard would have paid more than a penny to get out of such a theatre as a devilish pot bunker.  
   Well done on the Four One.

#1383 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192016
GolfWRX Likes : 916

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostWoodridge, on 20 May 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

I had a chance to take my new Pall Mall driver out for a spin the other day. My bride enjoys riding around in a golf cart and watching me play (in that order). After a couple of practice swings, I hit a low drive off the first tee. Not my best swing, but I was happy with how the driver felt and the grip Tad uses is amazing. I continued to slash the ball around and ended up with a double bogey. Have made a few a few swings now, I hit a beautiful drive (for me) on the 2nd hole....a 225 yard draw. That's the shot I was hoping to get when I bought the driver. I hit the ball much better than I scored due to my putting. Unfortunately, I may have to set my Gene Reilly putter aside and look for something that fits me better or at least something that I don't have to manipulate to keep square. Overall, it was a fun evening. I'm very, very happy with the driver and looking forward to getting out again later this week.

Speaking of getting out, I think I might play in a June WI group outing in addition to the Heart of America. What are everyone else's tournament plans?

Woody, I'm glad your enjoying the new driver. It makes a big difference when you have a quality teeing club. If you want a great hickory putter you already know the guy that makes the best.
"I wish to goodness I knew the man
who invented this infernal game. I'd
strangle him. But I suppose he's
been dead for ages... Still, I could
go and jump on his grave." - PGW

#1384 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostKirasdad, on 21 May 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Squeezed in 9 yesterday at my home course which at a little over 6000 yds is perfect for hickory. 41, which is a decent score, but the frustrating thing (it is ever thus in golf of course) is how well I struck it. I was either on or within a pace of 8 greens, but then there is the ever present triple out of a bunker where the score goes to pot.

"Oh for a muse of fire and flanged niblick to ascend the steepest bunker face..."
Wm Shakespeare (on taking three to get out of the nasty pot bunker on the devilish 7th at at the Stratford CC)

That's good shooting, John. Glad to hear you're hitting it well. Dayton is coming up soon.

#1385 HoganApexBlades

HoganApexBlades

...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249580
GolfWRX Likes : 438

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostWoodridge, on 20 May 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

I had a chance to take my new Pall Mall driver out for a spin the other day. My bride enjoys riding around in a golf cart and watching me play (in that order). After a couple of practice swings, I hit a low drive off the first tee. Not my best swing, but I was happy with how the driver felt and the grip Tad uses is amazing. I continued to slash the ball around and ended up with a double bogey. Have made a few a few swings now, I hit a beautiful drive (for me) on the 2nd hole....a 225 yard draw. That's the shot I was hoping to get when I bought the driver. I hit the ball much better than I scored due to my putting. Unfortunately, I may have to set my Gene Reilly putter aside and look for something that fits me better or at least something that I don't have to manipulate to keep square. Overall, it was a fun evening. I'm very, very happy with the driver and looking forward to getting out again later this week.

Speaking of getting out, I think I might play in a June WI group outing in addition to the Heart of America. What are everyone else's tournament plans?

Woodridge and I are planning to go to this event, anybody else from IL or WI want to join us???

'61 Hogan Power Thrusts 2-9 (ProFit)
'74 Hogan Apex 2-E (Apex 3)
'87 Hogan Apex PC 1-SW (Apex 4)
'87 Hogan Apex PC 2-E (Apex Extra 4)
'61 MacGregor Tommy Armour V.F.Q. 2-D.S. (Pro-Pel #1)
CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS!

#1386 Woodridge

Woodridge

Det er en del av jakten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

Looking forward to it Alan!

On another note, I was browsing ebay and came across Luckystix counter balance grip caps for hickory clubs. Has anyone experimented with these? I'm not qualified to change my grips, so they aren't something for me, but was curious about the rest of you.

http://www.ebay.com/...sd=311351950161
Tad Moore Pall Mall Driver
Tad Moore Pall Mall Spoon
Gibson Mid-Iron (Special, Kirkwood-Australia)
Gibson Mashie
Gibson Deep Faced Mashie (GH Waldon-Monmouth Golf Club)
Gibson Spade Mashie-The Jove (Cyril Fryer-City of Newcastle GC)
Gibson Jigger (AB Jeffry)
Gibson Dreadnought Niblick (A Loth-Golf D'Ormesson, Set 0)
Tad Moore The Howitzer

#1387 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
GolfWRX Likes : 434

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

Geeez   I did not see what the weight is of cap. My counter balance I would want is no less the 50 grams but then you need a heavier head? My modern putters I make have heavy head and a lot of counterbalance at least 2 inches above your hands

#1388 Coralray

Coralray

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203449
  • Ebay ID:Coralray
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:54 PM

View PostAndOh, on 29 April 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

Hi all
Finally got my Stewart playset together and have played 4 nine hole rounds with it so far. I feel IŽm getting to know the different "personalities" of the clubs and IŽm also getting better at actually putting some power in the swing without the ball going offline. Heck, on some holes IŽm hitting basically the same clubs/lofts as with my modern set.
I hit my irons quite high normally and that is no difference with the hickories but that means I loose some length in the wind, so I need to become better at keeping the ball down.
Played best ball/worst ball over nine holes yesterday evenings and came in at 2 over my Hcp for the best ball and 6 over for the worst ball so I must say I felt rather satisfied. I think I lost most shots putting (greens not great yet) since it takes some getting used to the different feel of the putter and also how to align it - misses with this putter are mostly to the right of the hole.

Anyway - Here are some picture. I was hoping someone could help me put a name on two of the clubs. One is 31* loft but with no name or number and the other is 41* with a rather small head. Same here - no name or number, but not a mashie or mashie niblick.
There is also a close up of my mashie. I havenŽt seen one like it. It has a rounded back and lots of stampings as youŽll see. Great feeling club :)
The woods: a Macgregor 33 Brassie and Spalding Autograph spoon. Great feeling woods!
The putter is a Mills Ray model

All the clubs have firm to stiff shafts and all seem to have decent swing weights.
Attachment Inline2.jpg
Here is the un-named 31* back and front. It does have a scored face but scores are almost totally worn down.
Attachment 31* front.JPG
Attachment 31* back.jpg
Here is the un-named 41*. Punch dot face. Wider sole than for instance the mashie.
Attachment 41* back.JPG
Attachment 41* front.jpg
Here is the Mashie. It is in very good shape with a nice scored face.
Attachment Mashie back2.jpg
Attachment mashie front.jpg
And finally the woods and putter :)
Attachment woods+putter.jpg

Any info on the un-named ones would be highly appreciated :) As would info on the mashie
Cheers!
Andy

I'm guessing the 31 is an Iron and the 41 is a Jigger.

#1389 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:13.4
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:20 AM

View Postmajic, on 22 May 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

Geeez   I did not see what the weight is of cap. My counter balance I would want is no less the 50 grams but then you need a heavier head? My modern putters I make have heavy head and a lot of counterbalance at least 2 inches above your hands

The ones on the eBay listing are 26g
Spring frolics with the classic kit ...
Joe Powell DSP-J4 Driver
Paul Gibson 4-Wood, 6-Wood
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 3-PW
Ben Hogan Special BeCu 56, 60
MacGregor VIP TFP 90-1 Putter

#1390 Woodridge

Woodridge

Det er en del av jakten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

Play 9 last night and it was beyond a struggle. My tee balls on 10 and 11 were poor and so bogies weren't unexpected, but I made a double on 12 from the prime position in the middle of the fairway. It was then that I met my Waterloo. Standing on the the 13th tee, I felt like I needed a solid par to turn my round around. 13 is a par 3 that was playing around 195 yard into the wind. It was a bit much for the mid-iron which is longest iron I have in my bag and a full spoon was too much. I tried to hit a 'baby' spoon and hit 3 hooks OB in a row. I just couldn't convince myself that it was the wrong shot ( or make a better swing)...Finally, I blocked one into the green-side bunker and then proceeded to catch my bunker shot thin and hit that OB. I finally holed out in 13 strokes. My highest score on a hole since my pre-teen days.

Gibson Mashie
Tad Moore The Howitzer

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#1391 Coralray

Coralray

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203449
  • Ebay ID:Coralray
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostWoodridge, on 23 May 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Play 9 last night and it was beyond a struggle. My tee balls on 10 and 11 were poor and so bogies weren't unexpected, but I made a double on 12 from the prime position in the middle of the fairway. It was then that I met my Waterloo. Standing on the the 13th tee, I felt like I needed a solid par to turn my round around. 13 is a par 3 that was playing around 195 yard into the wind. It was a bit much for the mid-iron which is longest iron I have in my bag and a full spoon was too much. I tried to hit a 'baby' spoon and hit 3 hooks OB in a row. I just couldn't convince myself that it was the wrong shot ( or make a better swing)...Finally, I blocked one into the green-side bunker and then proceeded to catch my bunker shot thin and hit that OB. I finally holed out in 13 strokes. My highest score on a hole since my pre-teen days.
I have done similar. And I rarely have any luck with partial or lessened fairway wood shots. You might want to look for a nice Stewart Cleek. I have a Jack White Sunningdale with a 39.5" shaft that gets the ball up nicely from fairway lies and is superb off a tee. It will fill that gap between Mid-Iron and Spoon. Or maybe look for a Bulldog, mine has a deep face and five wood loft and is more versatile than my spoons, able to dig the ball from deep rough.

#1392 Woodridge

Woodridge

Det er en del av jakten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

View PostCoralray, on 23 May 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

I have done similar. And I rarely have any luck with partial or lessened fairway wood shots. You might want to look for a nice Stewart Cleek. I have a Jack White Sunningdale with a 39.5" shaft that gets the ball up nicely from fairway lies and is superb off a tee. It will fill that gap between Mid-Iron and Spoon. Or maybe look for a Bulldog, mine has a deep face and five wood loft and is more versatile than my spoons, able to dig the ball from deep rough.

Thanks! I have been thinking about a Bulldog and will check into it.
Gibson Mashie
Tad Moore The Howitzer

#1393 ebeer

ebeer

Swing Hickory!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286500
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

I favor a long iron, even if the result is intentionally short, rather than backing off a wood.  I have hard time controlling length with brassie/spoon when trying to hit a green, so for me it's best to play an iron to front side and look for solid chip-putt combo for par.

That said, there are several irons to fit the bill (low lofted 2 iron, cleek, mashie iron, or 1 iron).  The bulldogs are positively beautiful, I just love that compact chunky looking head.  I have a beauty bulldog, but as I favor irons it just never sees any play.
Hickory golf, homebrew, and surfing

#1394 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

I think these shots are ones we have to consider the course. Longer irons are versatile if you do not have to carry a bunker or some other trouble. A bulldog or baddy wood is excellent for hitting a high shot as well as one out of a bad lie.
I have and typically carry one or the other. All around you cannot beat the lofted wood. The original " hibrid"

#1395 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

Geez my iPhone did it again. A baffy wood

#1396 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:13.4
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

+1 on the Bulldog. I also carry a Tom Stewart Driving Mashie which I find very versatile for long par 3s and long approach shots. Mine is 39.5" and loft 18 degrees.
Spring frolics with the classic kit ...
Joe Powell DSP-J4 Driver
Paul Gibson 4-Wood, 6-Wood
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 3-PW
Ben Hogan Special BeCu 56, 60
MacGregor VIP TFP 90-1 Putter

#1397 Kirasdad

Kirasdad

Kirasdad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Play 9 last night and it was beyond a struggle. My tee balls on 10 and 11 were poor and so bogies weren't unexpected, but I made a double on 12 from the prime position in the middle of the fairway. It was then that I met my Waterloo. Standing on the the 13th tee, I felt like I needed a solid par to turn my round around. 13 is a par 3 that was playing around 195 yard into the wind.

Normally I favor woods, but in hickory in terms of controlling the ball, especially off a tee, then I believe a long iron is a more consistent way to go. I am a low ball hitter so I prefer a 24 degree mid iron that I can manipulate with punch shots and stingers to a driving iron or cleek. I also think in hickory play we need to take a different view of scoring in that bogey is not at all a bad score, and can in some instances be looked at as if it were a par. Also, how we score. A 195 yard par three into the wind is a b***ch of a hole in hickory. You try and hit the spoon hard to get there and you get a snap hook or a balloon ball that goes 170. Ok maybe I bunt a driver, but the tempo on the "bunt" is so lovely that I hit it over the green anyway, perhaps into the nasty pot bunker or gorse and I end up with a quad. You can't force things in hickory. A nice back in the stance low or mid iron to within easy chip/pitch distance of the hole means either a very satisfying par, or at worst a confidence restoring bogey and you are back in the groove again. It took me two or three years to switch my thinking from modern golf to more of an auld approach.

My 2 (maybe even 3 ) cents.
Bonnie B lofted niblick

#1398 Woodridge

Woodridge

Det er en del av jakten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostKirasdad, on 23 May 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Play 9 last night and it was beyond a struggle. My tee balls on 10 and 11 were poor and so bogies weren't unexpected, but I made a double on 12 from the prime position in the middle of the fairway. It was then that I met my Waterloo. Standing on the the 13th tee, I felt like I needed a solid par to turn my round around. 13 is a par 3 that was playing around 195 yard into the wind.

Normally I favor woods, but in hickory in terms of controlling the ball, especially off a tee, then I believe a long iron is a more consistent way to go. I am a low ball hitter so I prefer a 24 degree mid iron that I can manipulate with punch shots and stingers to a driving iron or cleek. I also think in hickory play we need to take a different view of scoring in that bogey is not at all a bad score, and can in some instances be looked at as if it were a par. Also, how we score. A 195 yard par three into the wind is a b***ch of a hole in hickory. You try and hit the spoon hard to get there and you get a snap hook or a balloon ball that goes 170. Ok maybe I bunt a driver, but the tempo on the "bunt" is so lovely that I hit it over the green anyway, perhaps into the nasty pot bunker or gorse and I end up with a quad. You can't force things in hickory. A nice back in the stance low or mid iron to within easy chip/pitch distance of the hole means either a very satisfying par, or at worst a confidence restoring bogey and you are back in the groove again. It took me two or three years to switch my thinking from modern golf to more of an auld approach.

My 2 (maybe even 3 ) cents.

Thanks. I'll take all the advice that I can get get! You and others are definitely correct, the play was to hit the mid-iron short and pitch up. But, coming off of a bad double bogey, I made a poor choice and compounded it with a bad swing. I do agree that bogey isn't a bad score, especially for me.
Gibson Mashie
Tad Moore The Howitzer

#1399 chapper30257

chapper30257

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7526
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

Congrats to  our own Hollobacght. He won the World Hickory Match Play beating some of the best hickory players in the game. He beat Jeremy Moe in the final.
Way to go Ben!

#1400 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

Congrats, Ben!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#1401 Kirasdad

Kirasdad

Kirasdad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

Congratulations Ben!

I have had the pleasure of playing in a tournament with Ben and he has serious game. This won't be the last we hear of him, many more to come.
Bonnie B lofted niblick

#1402 Woodridge

Woodridge

Det er en del av jakten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:18 AM

Nice job Ben!!
Gibson Mashie
Tad Moore The Howitzer

#1403 AndOh

AndOh

Hooked on hickory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50201
  • Handicap:8,7
  • Ebay ID:Andyoh976
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

View PostCoralray, on 22 May 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

View PostAndOh, on 29 April 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

Hi all Finally got my Stewart playset together and have played 4 nine hole rounds with it so far. I feel I´m getting to know the different "personalities" of the clubs and I´m also getting better at actually putting some power in the swing without the ball going offline. Heck, on some holes I´m hitting basically the same clubs/lofts as with my modern set. I hit my irons quite high normally and that is no difference with the hickories but that means I loose some length in the wind, so I need to become better at keeping the ball down. Played best ball/worst ball over nine holes yesterday evenings and came in at 2 over my Hcp for the best ball and 6 over for the worst ball so I must say I felt rather satisfied. I think I lost most shots putting (greens not great yet) since it takes some getting used to the different feel of the putter and also how to align it - misses with this putter are mostly to the right of the hole. Anyway - Here are some picture. I was hoping someone could help me put a name on two of the clubs. One is 31* loft but with no name or number and the other is 41* with a rather small head. Same here - no name or number, but not a mashie or mashie niblick. There is also a close up of my mashie. I haven´t seen one like it. It has a rounded back and lots of stampings as you´ll see. Great feeling club :) The woods: a Macgregor 33 Brassie and Spalding Autograph spoon. Great feeling woods! The putter is a Mills Ray model All the clubs have firm to stiff shafts and all seem to have decent swing weights. Attachment Inline2.jpg Here is the un-named 31* back and front. It does have a scored face but scores are almost totally worn down. Attachment 31* front.JPG Attachment 31* back.jpg Here is the un-named 41*. Punch dot face. Wider sole than for instance the mashie. Attachment 41* back.JPG Attachment 41* front.jpg Here is the Mashie. It is in very good shape with a nice scored face. Attachment Mashie back2.jpg Attachment mashie front.jpg And finally the woods and putter :) Attachment woods+putter.jpg Any info on the un-named ones would be highly appreciated :) As would info on the mashie Cheers! Andy
I'm guessing the 31 is an Iron and the 41 is a Jigger.
Hi Coralray
Thanks for your input. I´ve also become quite sure about the 31* being an iron - especially after getting a "new" 3 iron with the same shape and size but with clear stampings saying 3 iron. The 41* being a jigger I´m not so sure about. I have, after reading your post, compared it to a friends 2 Stewart jiggers and the shape (and loft) is wrong. I´m leaning more towards previous suggestions about it being a lofter. It most certainly lauches the ball high :)
Kindly,
Andy
MacGregor brassie, Spalding spoon
8 Tom Stewarts
Mills putter

#1404 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

Numbers and names are not always fit what you think they might be. You could have thee mashies all different loft, deeper faces and soles made by the same maker. Not set standards back then.

#1405 hollabachgt

hollabachgt

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38283
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

View Postchapper30257, on 23 May 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Congrats to  our own Hollobacght. He won the World Hickory Match Play beating some of the best hickory players in the game. He beat Jeremy Moe in the final.
Way to go Ben!

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations, It was a wonderful week in Philly.  

The article on the SoHG website was a little unclear and I feel I should point out that Jeremy and I tied for second in points qualifications.  Jeremy and I played a sudden death playoff for the right to face Claus Muehlfeit (Switzerland) in the final. Its an interesting note that in the first 2 years of this event the championship match has included 2 American and 2 Swiss players. Of course the real story of the week was 14 year old Grayson Giboney, who finished 7th after loosing 3 of his 5 qualifying matches by the narrowest of margins 5 points to 4. As the reigning Washington State Hickory Open champion, it's great to see a new generation of players enjoying hickory golf at such a high level.

#1406 Kirasdad

Kirasdad

Kirasdad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

Beating Jeremy, however it takes place, is an accomplishment, Ben, but thanks for the update.

Now you can make a little money on the side by endorsing MacGregor Popular irons in the next Wee Nip!

(FYI for hickory newcomers, that's the SoHG Magazine)

Edited by Kirasdad, 26 May 2015 - 10:27 PM.

Bonnie B lofted niblick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors