Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 5 votes

Playing Hickory Golf

1167 replies to this topic

#1141 MoaningM

MoaningM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostBlade Junkie, on 29 March 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Well guys ... many thanks for the support and I'm pleased to say that your good luck charms are in full working order!

Attachment image.jpg

Weather was pretty dire, and I putted badly again, but was sufficiently in control of most other areas to record 38 points to win by five. My highlights were one chip in birdie, and holing from 50 yards with a Jigger pitch for a par on SI 3.  It was a 30-40 mph wind day and I could hardly even stand on the 1st. Widest stance and shortest back swing I can recall for a while lol. It was however a lot of fun to try and think your way round, lots of shots from 150 trying to hit it along the deck or 10 feet max in the air. Great fun! I just love Links golf ...

This is great event,  wonderful course, superbly organised, and I thoroughly recommend playing in it. MoaningM ... In the 15 years they have held the event, there has never been a Welsh winner ... Just thought you should know :)

Haha! I think i need a lot of practice To get even a sniff! Next year i definately plan to be there! Forget all this balmy 24 degrees give me them high winds and wet rainy welsh days anyday!

I even got a bit of sunnurn today! Dont get that in wales in March!

Congrats again geoff fantastic win! Must have been Tenby testing you out before! How did  aberdovey compare?

M.

#1142 stixman

stixman

Hickory Golf in the Now!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Handicap:10.6
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:13 PM

'Well batted' to the guru of Goodwood! The wind factor was not understated.
What Geoff didn't say was that the best loser only had 33 points, or 'poang', as they say in Sweden. All followed by an elegant speech, and dare I say it, the BGCS luminaries nodding sagely saying 'Hmm ,yes, definitely committe material!'
Geoff, you have been warned
Joe Powell Mock Hickory Driver
3 + 5 Mac. Custom Persimmon
Apex II,or 1968 Dynas, or Nicoll Cottons
Wilson PW
1935 Wilson R90, real deal
Chris H

#1143 Coralray

Coralray

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203449
  • Ebay ID:Coralray
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

View PostHoldenCornfield, on 29 March 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

I'm headed out this afternoon to play my first hickory round with a full complement of clubs -- two woods, seven irons, and a putter. I finally got my mid-iron re-shafted, all of the iron heads have been re-set, and all have new leather grips. It's sunny and 60* with a light breeze here, can't ask for better golfing weather than that. I've been striking the ball well lately with my vintage stuff and putting great (with the hickory putter) so I'm anxious to see if that transfers to the hickories. Oh, and first round with my new hickory bag, too, an anniversary present from my better half.

Attachment IMAG0148.jpg
Good luck to you. Your better half has good taste. I have the same Belding bag and really love it. It balances and hangs effortlessly and the skimpy appearing strap has never dug in or slipped off my shoulder. A nice oiled canvas, it should be waterproof, but I have not yet played in enough rain to test that. Lighter too by far than my all leather Mackenzie Sunday Walker. I highly recommend this simple, elegant golf bag.

Edited by Coralray, 29 March 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#1144 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:13.4
GolfWRX Likes : 544

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:00 AM

View PostHoldenCornfield, on 28 March 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Aberdovey -- I've been reading Bernard Darwin's On Golf and he mentions this course a good bit, one of his favorites I believe.

If you get the chance please post some more pics of the course and WITB for this tournament. Thanks.

I really liked the course as well. Unfortunately the weather wasn't really condusive to on course photography but here is the WITB, including a couple of clubs that Stixman fixed up for me!

image.jpg

Geo Duncan driver 12 degrees, D2
W. Jeffrey Bulldog 18 degrees, D6

Tom Stewart Driving Mashie 18 degrees
Tom Stewart Mashie Iron 24 degrees
Tom Stewart unmarked iron 28 degrees
Tom Stewart Mashie 36 degrees
Tom Stewart unmarked "Lofter" 40 degrees
Forgan Mashie Niblick 44 ?
Forgan Niblick 50 ?
George Nicoll Howitzer 56 degrees

Tom Stewart Gem Putter

I hit very few short iron shots as the emphasis was on keeping the ball as low as possible due to the wind.

I like your new bag btw. I think Joe Hollerbach was carrying one of those Belding American Classics at the WHO last year.

View PostMoaningM, on 29 March 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Congrats again geoff fantastic win! Must have been Tenby testing you out before! How did  aberdovey compare?

Thanks MM

Very similar in level of difficulty ... Greens slightly better at Aberdovey, but it was definitely the Tenby prep that helped with the shots to play in the wind!

View Poststixman, on 29 March 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

What Geoff didn't say was that the best loser only had 33 points, or 'poang', as they say in Sweden. All followed by an elegant speech, and dare I say it, the BGCS luminaries nodding sagely saying 'Hmm ,yes, definitely committee material!'

Thanks Chris! I'll keep my head down for the rest of the year ... :)

Edited by Blade Junkie, 30 March 2015 - 02:50 AM.

Spring frolics with the classic kit ...
Paul Gibson Hand Made Persimmons
2-Wood, 4-Wood, 6-Wood
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 3-PW
Ben Hogan Special BeCu 56, 60
MacGregor VIP TFP 90-1 Putter

#1145 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:04 AM

Congrats Geoff and nice looking set of clubs!

Are you playing the WHO at Carnoustie this year?

#1146 Woodridge

Woodridge

Hodet ned , ikke titte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostHoldenCornfield, on 29 March 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

I'm headed out this afternoon to play my first hickory round with a full complement of clubs -- two woods, seven irons, and a putter. I finally got my mid-iron re-shafted, all of the iron heads have been re-set, and all have new leather grips. It's sunny and 60* with a light breeze here, can't ask for better golfing weather than that. I've been striking the ball well lately with my vintage stuff and putting great (with the hickory putter) so I'm anxious to see if that transfers to the hickories. Oh, and first round with my new hickory bag, too, an anniversary present from my better half.

Attachment IMAG0148.jpg

Wonderful set-up Kev. I love the bag..it ties everything together!

Looking forward to hearing a report on your play.
Tad Moore Pall Mall Spoon
Gibson Kirkwood mid-iron
Gibson Jigger, Mashie, Deep Face Mashie
Gibson, Spade Mashie and Niblick
Tad Moore The Howitzer
Gene Reilly mallet

#1147 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192016
GolfWRX Likes : 793

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

Not much to report -- certainly didn't get my name on any trophies! Ha!

I struggled with the woods, usually the best part of my game, and shot 85. Topped a spoon into the woods on #1 and took double. Smothered the driver on #6 for another double, then smothered another one off the tee of #9 which barely managed to clear the water hazard. After pitching off the bank back into the fairway I hit my best shot of the day, a mashie from 125 into a two club wind to 15 inches and saved par. Took 4 on the 10th for my fourth straight par and thought I had things straightened out but then bogeyed the next 6 holes, including another smothered drive on #15. I did manage to finish well with a birdie at #17 and a par at the long finishing hole.

I also struggled getting the ball into the hole, but I'm going to hold the greens superintendent at least partially responsible. He clearly had malice in his heart when he set the Sunday pins. Lots of holes were set on the slope where two tiers of the green met. Grrr.

I tried something new with the course setup, playing the odd numbered holes from the men's tees and the even numbered ones from the senior tees. This gave me a yardage of about 5800 yards and kept me from having to hit very many long irons. I think I'll continue this practice, at least until the course dries out...although it kinda of felt like cheating on some holes!

I played with three guys who had never seen or hit hickories before. One was a teenager who seemed pretty fascinated by them, actually, but the other two had a hard time understanding why anyone would want to play golf with such equipment. My answer, "For fun," only seemed to leave them more confused.
"I wish to goodness I knew the man
who invented this infernal game. I'd
strangle him. But I suppose he's
been dead for ages... Still, I could
go and jump on his grave." - PGW

#1148 hollabachgt

hollabachgt

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38283
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostHoldenCornfield, on 30 March 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

I struggled with the woods, usually the best part of my game, and shot 85. Topped a spoon into the woods on #1 and took double. Smothered the driver on #6 for another double, then smothered another one off the tee of #9 which barely managed to clear the water hazard. After pitching off the bank back into the fairway I hit my best shot of the day, a mashie from 125 into a two club wind to 15 inches and saved par. Took 4 on the 10th for my fourth straight par and thought I had things straightened out but then bogeyed the next 6 holes, including another smothered drive on #15. I did manage to finish well with a birdie at #17 and a par at the long finishing hole.

I also struggled getting the ball into the hole, but I'm going to hold the greens superintendent at least partially responsible. He clearly had malice in his heart when he set the Sunday pins. Lots of holes were set on the slope where two tiers of the green met. Grrr.

I tried something new with the course setup, playing the odd numbered holes from the men's tees and the even numbered ones from the senior tees. This gave me a yardage of about 5800 yards and kept me from having to hit very many long irons. I think I'll continue this practice, at least until the course dries out...although it kinda of felt like cheating on some holes!

I played with three guys who had never seen or hit hickories before. One was a teenager who seemed pretty fascinated by them, actually, but the other two had a hard time understanding why anyone would want to play golf with such equipment. My answer, "For fun," only seemed to leave them more confused.

I've created multiple scorecards for my home course that has given me multiple course setups around 6100-6200 yards and a variety of pars. It adds quite a bit of variety to the play, especially when I can convert long par 4's into par 5's for hickory play. I will usually reserve playing a hop-scotch scorecard for solo rounds as it can get a bit confusing for my playing partners as they have no idea where I may be playing from next.

I think most hickory players come across the same reaction from others the first time. I recall playing with the Pro's son a few summers back. At 14 he had never seen a persimmon headed steel shafted driver, let alone hickory, after one swing he handed the club back to me like it was diseased. For those that don't understand the enjoyment in using the equipment, their comments will stop once you start beating them while playing hickories.

#1149 Woodridge

Woodridge

Hodet ned , ikke titte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:02 PM

View PostHoldenCornfield, on 30 March 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

Great report. 85 is a darn good score all things considered. I'm looking at around that 5,800 yard mark to start with as well. Which ball did you end up playing?
Gibson Kirkwood mid-iron
Tad Moore The Howitzer
Gene Reilly mallet

#1150 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostBella Woods, on 30 March 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

Congrats Geoff and nice looking set of clubs!

Are you playing the WHO at Carnoustie this year?

Hi Wally, not entered yet but I will see you there for sure ... Assuming you are still making the trip of course :)

2-Wood, 4-Wood, 6-Wood

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#1151 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

View Posthollabachgt, on 30 March 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

I think most hickory players come across the same reaction from others the first time. I recall playing with the Pro's son a few summers back. At 14 he had never seen a persimmon headed steel shafted driver, let alone hickory, after one swing he handed the club back to me like it was diseased. For those that don't understand the enjoyment in using the equipment, their comments will stop once you start beating them while playing hickories.

I'm pretty sure none of them broke 95, so it wasn't too hard to beat that.

View PostWoodridge, on 30 March 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

Great report. 85 is a darn good score all things considered. I'm looking at around that 5,800 yard mark to start with as well. Which ball did you end up playing?

I played the Hogan Edge ball, not because it's anything special but its a nice soft distance ball that I got a buy one/get one price on. And it feels great off persimmon, as any low compression ball will.

Edited by HoldenCornfield, 30 March 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#1152 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

Geoff:

I signed up in January as soon as the application went online. Trip
is bought and paid for - I will be there.

So I need to dedicate this year to breaking out of the 3 year funk
my game has been in (due to no practice, not playing that much and
the resulting bad attitude).

#1153 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

Way to go Geoff. Great play

#1154 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:33 AM

View Postmajic, on 30 March 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

Way to go Geoff. Great play

Thanks Tad! Interested in buying some replacement shafts btw ... Will email you!
2-Wood, 4-Wood, 6-Wood

#1155 bajadulce

bajadulce

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265040
  • Ebay ID:tenango88
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

Wow Geoff!  That is really slick!
:partytime2:  

View Poststixman, on 29 March 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

What Geoff didn't say was that the best loser only had 33 points, or 'poang', as they say in Sweden. All followed by an elegant speech, and dare I say it, the BGCS luminaries nodding sagely saying 'Hmm ,yes, definitely committe material!'
I being the furthest from even knowing what a luminary is, would second that vote! :)

Steve H
Golf, surfing, and sandwiches!

#1156 Woodridge

Woodridge

Hodet ned , ikke titte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

Well, I had a chance tonight to get out for 9 with my hickories for the first time. It was a perfect night to play, just under 60 degrees and not much wind.

I played both the McIntyre Ouimet ball and a Wilson Duo. Even while playing vintage irons, I had stuck with my Ping G25 driver, so looking down at the tiny Tad Moore spoon was pure intimidation on the first tee. I cold topped the first drive about 20 yards...nearly whiffed it. The second shot went about 125 yard and killed a bunch of worms on the way. I can't convey how awful I played the first 4 holes, in all aspects mind you.

But, standing on the 5th tee something clicked in my head about my golf swing. I definitely started to swing different, but the results were much more playable. My tee ball went from low grounders to a low draw that bordered on a controlled hook. I manage hit the last 4 fairways in the left center with decent length for me. My irons too became a low drawing shot that reminded me how I hit my MT irons as a kid. After a bad start, I played the last 5 holes in 3 bogies and 2 pars. I parred both 8 and 9 and had good chances at birdie on each hole.

All in all, a wonderful start to hickory golf for me. I hit more good shots than I expected and shrugged off the bad ones. I'm not going to win any cups, but I won't embarrass myself too badly in any case.

I wonder if anyone else found themselves making a different golf swing with hickories than graphite or steel shafts.
Gibson Kirkwood mid-iron
Tad Moore The Howitzer
Gene Reilly mallet

#1157 gvogel

gvogel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

View PostWoodridge, on 31 March 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Well, I had a chance tonight to get out for 9 with my hickories for the first time. It was a perfect night to play, just under 60 degrees and not much wind.

I played both the McIntyre Ouimet ball and a Wilson Duo. Even while playing vintage irons, I had stuck with my Ping G25 driver, so looking down at the tiny Tad Moore spoon was pure intimidation on the first tee. I cold topped the first drive about 20 yards...nearly whiffed it. The second shot went about 125 yard and killed a bunch of worms on the way. I can't convey how awful I played the first 4 holes, in all aspects mind you.

But, standing on the 5th tee something clicked in my head about my golf swing. I definitely started to swing different, but the results were much more playable. My tee ball went from low grounders to a low draw that bordered on a controlled hook. I manage hit the last 4 fairways in the left center with decent length for me. My irons too became a low drawing shot that reminded me how I hit my MT irons as a kid. After a bad start, I played the last 5 holes in 3 bogies and 2 pars. I parred both 8 and 9 and had good chances at birdie on each hole.

All in all, a wonderful start to hickory golf for me. I hit more good shots than I expected and shrugged off the bad ones. I'm not going to win any cups, but I won't embarrass myself too badly in any case.

I wonder if anyone else found themselves making a different golf swing with hickories than graphite or steel shafts.

Welcome to hickory golf.

For sure, hickory rewards a good smooth swing.  When I start to "jump" on the ball, bad things happen.

I am of the belief that hickory has made me a better swinger with modern clubs.  

Playing hickory has also made me appreciate the timeless wisdom inherent in the writings of Bobby Jones, and Percy Boomer - to name two of my favorites.
On Sundays, I play hickory

#1158 gvogel

gvogel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

I have to give a plug to Tad Moore.

Tonight I hit a new set of Star OA irons that Tad sent me back in January.  When I took them out of the box in January, my first reaction was that they were too stout for me.  I had ordered them + 1/8th inch, with regular shafts.  Well, the grips were a bit bigger than my first set of Star OA's, and also my set of Victors.  So, I thought that the shafts were firmer than I could swing.

I was in snowboarding mode in January, and then I got the flu.  Long story short, after suffering for a month I finally got some antibiotics.  I am just now getting some strength back.

I hit them tonight - in a dome - and they felt very nice.  The ball flight was very nice as well, dependent upon the operator.

The new ones have a red dot on the back, and are very slightly different from my first set.  I would say they sit very square, and they give the impression of being a bit more solid.  But, that's just my impression.

It is fun to work with a skilled club maker.  Tad knows my game, and as I have played I have been able to ask for subtle changes in my tools.

I think that we are blessed that Tad is making quality reproductions.  I know that Mike Just has his fans as well.  It is a good time to be playing hickory golf.
On Sundays, I play hickory

#1159 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 AM

I'm glad to hear you finally got to play, I know its been a long wait.  I'd say you played very well, considering its not just your first hickory round but also your first golf round of the year.

I also found myself swinging very tentatively my first time. Then like you, around the fifth hole, I decided just to cut loose and swing normally. That's when I started hitting decent shots.

The biggest difference I've found is due to the fact that I play pretty heavy swing weights in my vintage, usually progressing from D2 or D3 in the long irons to D7 or D8 in the wedges. With the Hickories, they have a high total weight but much more of that weight seems to be in the hands rather than in the head. Heck, I had to really load them up with lead tape just to get them to D0.

But if you've got hickory clubs with good swing weights, relatively firm shafts, and good grips then I don't see why you can't shoot the same scores with them as you do with vintage, especially if you play appropriate tees.

How did you like your Gibson irons?

#1160 HoldenCornfield

HoldenCornfield

I cut myself shaving...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 07:36 AM

View Postgvogel, on 31 March 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

I have to give a plug to Tad Moore.

It is fun to work with a skilled club maker.  Tad knows my game, and as I have played I have been able to ask for subtle changes in my tools.

I think that we are blessed that Tad is making quality reproductions.  I know that Mike Just has his fans as well.  It is a good time to be playing hickory golf.

+1. I hope that there will be someone to step up and take their place when they retire.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#1161 Woodridge

Woodridge

Hodet ned , ikke titte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 AM

View PostHoldenCornfield, on 01 April 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

I'm glad to hear you finally got to play, I know its been a long wait.  I'd say you played very well, considering its not just your first hickory round but also your first golf round of the year.

I also found myself swinging very tentatively my first time. Then like you, around the fifth hole, I decided just to cut loose and swing normally. That's when I started hitting decent shots.

The biggest difference I've found is due to the fact that I play pretty heavy swing weights in my vintage, usually progressing from D2 or D3 in the long irons to D7 or D8 in the wedges. With the Hickories, they have a high total weight but much more of that weight seems to be in the hands rather than in the head. Heck, I had to really load them up with lead tape just to get them to D0.

But if you've got hickory clubs with good swing weights, relatively firm shafts, and good grips then I don't see why you can't shoot the same scores with them as you do with vintage, especially if you play appropriate tees.

How did you like your Gibson irons?

Thanks Kevin

I love the irons, especially the Mashie, Deep Faced Mashie and Spade Mashie. I am just getting a feel for how far each one goes.
Gibson Kirkwood mid-iron
Tad Moore The Howitzer
Gene Reilly mallet

#1162 chapper30257

chapper30257

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7526
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Great posts in this topic. This seems to be a very dignified and respectful corner of golfwrk forums.

A few years ago I made an attempt to assemble a hickory set . I purchased several irons with the core being six matched Stewart RTJ's.
But I set the project aside when it appeared it was going to be difficult and expensive to finish the set especially the woods. I am certain with some diligence I could have completed the set, but I also decided to concentrate on the modern game.

Well, the bug never completely left and I have decided now is the time. I joined SOHG and have done a lot of research. At least about as much as you can on the Internet.

I have decided going the route of replicas will be best for me at this time. Both Tad Moore's and Louisville Golf 's offerings looked excellent .  So today I took advantage of Louisville Golf's 15% discount and ordered the full tournament set of Precisions and Jack White woods. Very excited and look forward to playing in some of the events such as Mid Pines.

Glad to see a couple of Atlanta hickory players active on here. I am between Atlanta and Macon. I will try to post some pics when the set comes in.

#1163 Woodridge

Woodridge

Hodet ned , ikke titte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:25 PM

View Postchapper30257, on 01 April 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

Great posts in this topic. This seems to be a very dignified and respectful corner of golfwrk forums.

A few years ago I made an attempt to assemble a hickory set . I purchased several irons with the core being six matched Stewart RTJ's.
But I set the project aside when it appeared it was going to be difficult and expensive to finish the set especially the woods. I am certain with some diligence I could have completed the set, but I also decided to concentrate on the modern game.

Well, the bug never completely left and I have decided now is the time. I joined SOHG and have done a lot of research. At least about as much as you can on the Internet.

I have decided going the route of replicas will be best for me at this time. Both Tad Moore's and Louisville Golf 's offerings looked excellent .  So today I took advantage of Louisville Golf's 15% discount and ordered the full tournament set of Precisions and Jack White woods. Very excited and look forward to playing in some of the events such as Mid Pines.

Glad to see a couple of Atlanta hickory players active on here. I am between Atlanta and Macon. I will try to post some pics when the set comes in.

Welcome to our slice of WRX heaven. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on playing Hickory golf once you receive your new set.
Gibson Kirkwood mid-iron
Tad Moore The Howitzer
Gene Reilly mallet

#1164 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 06:08 PM

You did not see my discounts??
Just curious.

#1165 chapper30257

chapper30257

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 06:29 PM

View Postmajic, on 01 April 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

You did not see my discounts??
Just curious.

Tad I didn't see them and I looked this morning. If I had I would have probably ordered from you. I have read nothing but the highest praise for your work and like the one piece tooling.But  15% on a full set was no small change .

Maybe I didn't look in the right place . I looked on your site and on your facebook page. I guess I should have shot you an email asking , but I didn't want to appear that I was haggling you down.

I thought about waiting for your Victor irons to become available, but I was ready to get started.

I hope the Louisville clubs will work well for me.

#1166 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 07:21 PM

Enjoy the hickory game. On my site I offer set prices. The OA's all 8 bendable made 100 % to your specs of shaft and grip are $1225.
I have some great and very popular putters and Niblicks.
You will find the game an excellent one and you will meet many good people. I hope to meet you in Mid Pines or you could even play in my event in April.

#1167 chapper30257

chapper30257

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 07:32 PM

View Postmajic, on 01 April 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

Enjoy the hickory game. On my site I offer set prices. The OA's all 8 bendable made 100 % to your specs of shaft and grip are $1225.
I have some great and very popular putters and Niblicks.
You will find the game an excellent one and you will meet many good people. I hope to meet you in Mid Pines or you could even play in my event in April.

Thanks Tad you are legend in golf equipment and the hickory world .
I look forward to meeting you and other hickory players. From what I can tell they embody the best of what the game has to offer.
Knowing me and my habits with equipment I have a feeling your clubs will make their way into my bag.

#1168 majic

majic

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 08:09 PM

We will have the " new" Victors in early June

1 user(s) are reading this topic