Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Playing Hickory Golf


779 replies to this topic

#751 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

    Bella Woods

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
  • Joined: 12/06/2009
  • Location:Royal Oak, Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

For those of you that don't know - stixman won many  tournaments in the past......

Including the the 1997 Scottish Hickory Championship and 2001 Swedish Hickory
Championship, those are only the ones that I remember. Don't quit stixman.........

I bet the Swedish one was the most satisfying......

Edited by Bella Woods, 20 October 2014 - 04:59 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#752 gvogel

gvogel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

[qu

View Posthollabachgt, on 20 October 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:


Fred Muller at Mid Pines a few years ago spoke about his desire to have the whole field using originals, and while it made quite a few people in the audience squirm a bit he was right on point. Reproduction should be regulated, but never banned, and the game should highly encourage their players to migrate towards originals. How this is done I'm unsure but I'd propose much like tournaments are held with both Gross and Net categories it may be worth exploring sub-dividing the fields into Original and Reproduction classes. I like to say we are the poor mans version of vintage auto racing as we want to appreciate history by reliving it in a competitive environment. Maybe in the area of reproduction vs. original our best solution is something they already utilize.

Ben, I would second your proposal.
Ping G25 driver and fairways
Titleist AP1 irons

#753 majic

majic

    Tour Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
  • Joined: 03/11/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

This Junko is nice and quite rare. I owned a carbon steel one. Enjoyed it for years. Gibson also made them in rustless.
Thanks for the pictures of his set of Stewarts. Very late set of rustless heads. Nice

#754 stixman

stixman

    Hickory Golf in the Now!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Morecambe, rUK
  • Handicap:10.6
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 AM

Thanks Wally, I don't have any plans to go anywhere anytime soon.   :)
Joe Powell Mock Hickory Driver
3 + 5 Mac. Custom Persimmon
Apex II,or 1968 Dynas, or Nicoll Cottons
Wilson PW
1935 Wilson R90, real deal
Chris H

#755 Aussie_steeler

Aussie_steeler

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123671
  • Joined: 03/05/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted Yesterday, 04:32 AM

Nearly every time we have a hickory match in Wagga I have to look across at these in someones bag.

nicoll.JPG

I am so envious.  They are the prettiest hickory set I have ever seen. George Nicoll Precisions ( 1,2,3,4,5,5x,6,7,8)


Blade_junkie you will be pleased to know that I have stolen this one and it is hidden in my bag currently

howitzer.JPG


#756 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Joined: 07/05/2011
  • Location:South Coast, UK
  • Handicap:13.0
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted Yesterday, 04:57 AM

Very nice Darron - Lachie is a lucky guy ! Do you know what the specs are ? Lengths/Lofts/Swingweights etc etc

Not seen a hickory Z-Pinsplitter Howitzer before ... sweet club. Did he buy that at the same time as the Precisions ?

Would be interested in your observations on it's performance Darron vs your normal Niblick.

My Howitzer is reserved purely for bunker play and (some) shots around the green, depending on the lie. I find it a bit too heavy for full shots and the weight tends to send the ball further upwards rather than forwards if you swing harder.

Edited by Blade Junkie, Yesterday, 04:58 AM.

'Tis the hickory season ...
Geo Duncan Driver, Brassie
W.Jeffery Bulldog; Tom Stewart irons:
Cleek, Dr. Mashie, Mashie Iron, Jigger
Mashie, Lofter, Spade Mashie, M.Niblick
Niblick, Nicoll Howitzer, Eskitt putter

#757 Aussie_steeler

Aussie_steeler

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123671
  • Joined: 03/05/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted Yesterday, 06:03 AM

View PostBlade Junkie, on 21 October 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

Very nice Darron - Lachie is a lucky guy ! Do you know what the specs are ? Lengths/Lofts/Swingweights etc etc

Not seen a hickory Z-Pinsplitter Howitzer before ... sweet club. Did he buy that at the same time as the Precisions ?

Would be interested in your observations on it's performance Darron vs your normal Niblick.

My Howitzer is reserved purely for bunker play and (some) shots around the green, depending on the lie. I find it a bit too heavy for full shots and the weight tends to send the ball further upwards rather than forwards if you swing harder.

I will see what I can come up with on the specs. I think he has a 4 degree split in the longs and a 5 degree split in the lofted end. They have softer shafts than what we have normally played so they require a very smooth swing. ( They feel like ladies flex with my swing.) The 5x is not in the bag. It has the same head as the 5 but the loft of a 3. Not totally sure of what its intended role is.

I am sure he will give you the specs if you ask him next time an email comes through. He occasionally reads here, however I don't think he will ever post here. Ask him about the set of Stewarts he has put together. They are coming along nicely as well.

The Pinsplitter was an interesting find that was purchased separately. This club was located on  US ebay as a steel shafted niblick pretty cheaply. However someone with a very keen eye (not me) noticed that the steel shaft was stretched, crimped  and glued over the hosel. Upon arrival it was found to have the correct Nicoll hickory bore diameter and that it was reshafted to suit the new steel shaft era. It has been verified through SOHG channels and also through the Geroge Nicoll book that catalogs all models out of the Leven factory.

It is a sensational sand club for all that use it. Lach appreciates the niblick in the set as a more versatile club. However for me it is versatile from 90 yards in. The sole on this niblick makes it so playable from all lies. I have a very upright swing and I can really flight this club to suit my shot scenario. It is funny how your experience is similar to Lachs but mine is totally opposite. I have always played very heavy and wide flanged sand wedges over the years. I could comfortable put this in my modern bag and know that I have all shots inside 90  yards covered.

My confidence has gone through the roof since I managed to borrow it. The only other niblick I have ever hit that comes close is the Dominie Sander replica of Tad's.  I was always frightened of catching the leading edge and laying the turf over the ball. Now that thought doesn't enter my mind.

I am telling you Geoffrey. Between my collection of persimmon woods, blades, hickories and Lachs shed full of gear I am sure we could host you for a month of continuous golf and you would never use the same set twice. I know your itching to.

#758 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Joined: 07/05/2011
  • Location:South Coast, UK
  • Handicap:13.0
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted Yesterday, 07:14 AM

LOL - Chris and I were just discussing that Howitzer hosel on eMail ! Looked a little on the skinny side but the "provenance" seems to address all that quite nicely.

I think your usage of the club vs my/Lachie's experiences basically highlights the diference in skill level between a low handicapper and those a few shots further up the scale. You have the ability to get much more out of it than we do !


As for an Aussie trip ... hmmmm .... dammit :)

Maybe in the next year or two - got a sister in Melbourne after all !
'Tis the hickory season ...
Geo Duncan Driver, Brassie
W.Jeffery Bulldog; Tom Stewart irons:
Cleek, Dr. Mashie, Mashie Iron, Jigger
Mashie, Lofter, Spade Mashie, M.Niblick
Niblick, Nicoll Howitzer, Eskitt putter

#759 stixman

stixman

    Hickory Golf in the Now!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Morecambe, rUK
  • Handicap:10.6
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted Yesterday, 07:38 AM

Looks exactly the same as the earlier NoShok Nicoll hosel with the rubber bush assembly used to use up redundant hickory hosel blades. There were some lovely Precision 'NoShoks' offered, same blade and hosel dimension as the hickory variant. I have reshafted some in hickory myself.
Joe Powell Mock Hickory Driver
3 + 5 Mac. Custom Persimmon
Apex II,or 1968 Dynas, or Nicoll Cottons
Wilson PW
1935 Wilson R90, real deal
Chris H

#760 majic

majic

    Tour Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
  • Joined: 03/11/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Chris do you think that Nicoll Niblick was ever made in hickory? The sole is late. I want to ask Roger Hill about that. Just curious. Hosel looks awful straight to me. Not being a Nicoll guy as a Roger was I will refer to him.
Nice looking club though.
You say you have had a few no shok that would take hickory? Is the bore straight or taper?
At the transition time we had a few clubs made over here that I have seen with hickory that just are not right but the worst case is a steel head with a hosel removed and a hickory added. Geez


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#761 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Need a little help guys and gals! Been experimenting with the hickory equipmemt, managed to pull a few shafts and got a head i want to put a longer shaft in to give it more swingweight.

This is the head pulled

Posted Image

Here is the shaft

Posted Image

And here they are together, you can see they dont quite fit, i assume i can just sand away untill they fit nice and snug? Redrill the hole and pop the pin back in? Am i on the right lines?

Posted Image

One other thing, i have a couple of old hickory putters which i doubt i will ever use, are the shafts in these playable in wedges or any other irons? Or will the shafts be too light or to whippy?

Sorry for all the questions!

#762 stixman

stixman

    Hickory Golf in the Now!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Morecambe, rUK
  • Handicap:10.6
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted Yesterday, 10:40 AM

You are on the right lines, file and sand away. If the old hole doesnt match up and it probably won't, seal it with a match stick and epoxy at the same tiem you are refitting the shaft and bedding it in with your epoxy mix.. On the Maxwells it also serves to keep wet out of the spigot. Repin, peen over. file, polish and away you go.

Re putter shafts, check them against other niblicks you may have. If they seem OK, they probably are. None of this is an exact science, experience and common sense go a long way. PM me or phone 07866919333 if you need any input from me.
Joe Powell Mock Hickory Driver
3 + 5 Mac. Custom Persimmon
Apex II,or 1968 Dynas, or Nicoll Cottons
Wilson PW
1935 Wilson R90, real deal
Chris H

#763 majic

majic

    Tour Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
  • Joined: 03/11/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 AM

Nice head. Stix is right about the holes. After using a proper wood file and sand paper plug the pin hole and when glueing don't spare the epoxy. Line up your grain direction and tap home after the excess glue has come out. I then put glue back into the holes and wrap with masking tape to be sure you have coverage. After you clean the hosel and drill for pin I use aluminum welding rod 1/8 diameter you can get from welding supply shop or maybe building supplier. Much easier to use then steel or brass and works fine for hosel pin. Good luck.

#764 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 AM

You are both gentlemen and scholars, thank you both, i have been trying to tread carefully, took me quite some time to remove the old head, forgot about the pin, and then could'nt find the little blighter!

Yes the head is lovely, quite heavy as well, i put it on the swingweight scales as it is and came out at E1, so i think by the time it is on correctly and had a few wraps together with the grip i think it should come in around low to mid D's at a guess.

Ill keep you up to date how it goes, stix i may well be in touch if it all goes pear shaped :)

Thanks again

Dave.

#765 Woodridge

Woodridge

    Hodet ned , ikke titte

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
  • Joined: 10/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 PM

For a beginner, is it best to buy original hickory clubs via Ebay, Antique stores or another outlet?? From my shopping, it seems that the going rate at the antique stores near me is around $40 each for each for what are probably 'common' irons. I'd like to ease my way into hickory golf and currently have a hickory shafted mashie niblick and hickory shafted putter. I'm guessing that with a fairway wood and 4 more irons I can have a 'starter set' to get into hickory golf. My current iron looks like it was left out in the rain for 50 years or so...Is a coke bath something one would do with irons of this era or is that an obvious no no? Thanks for the help.

Spaulding Bobby Jones 3 1/2 wood
Ben Hogan Power Thrust 3,5,7,9 irons
Beckley-Ralston Chipper
H&B Louisville Grand Slam SW
Spaulding Cash In
Slicefixer

#766 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

    Bella Woods

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
  • Joined: 12/06/2009
  • Location:Royal Oak, Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Woodridge

If you are starting with a rusted iron head I would forget the coke bath and use 400 or 600 grit linen backed sandpaper and oil and gradually get rid of the rust. Then steel wool and oil and go from there...

#767 Woodridge

Woodridge

    Hodet ned , ikke titte

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
  • Joined: 10/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted Yesterday, 08:21 PM

View PostBella Woods, on 21 October 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

Woodridge

If you are starting with a rusted iron head I would forget the coke bath and use 400 or 600 grit linen backed sandpaper and oil and gradually get rid of the rust. Then steel wool and oil and go from there...

Thanks! I'll give that a go.
Spaulding Bobby Jones 3 1/2 wood
Ben Hogan Power Thrust 3,5,7,9 irons
Beckley-Ralston Chipper
H&B Louisville Grand Slam SW
Spaulding Cash In
Slicefixer

#768 Kirasdad

Kirasdad

    Kirasdad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184566
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:South Pasadena, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 281

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 PM

View PostFellaheen51, on 21 October 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Good points dbuck, not rambling in the slightest. Speaking only from my limited experience around here, I have had to undertake the process of educating myself (in a small way) on what "is" a quality classic golf club.  That education continues from reading here and elsewhere around the internets. Then I attempt to understand the value component of the equation. A case perfectly illustrated by your Mac wood example. Quality + Value = a price I'm willing to pay for x clubs.  Further influencing a purchase decision is the question of playability. I am not in the market for "wall hangers". I prefer clubs that I can take to the  course and have a reasonable chance of executing a proper golf shot. Therefore, hickory and pre-war are not in consideration.  Playability not collectability (by intent). That delves into a whole different category of clubs.  Vintage but not to vintage if that makes any sense.

View PostWoodridge, on 21 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

For a beginner, is it best to buy original hickory clubs via Ebay, Antique stores or another outlet?? From my shopping, it seems that the going rate at the antique stores near me is around $40 each for each for what are probably 'common' irons. I'd like to ease my way into hickory golf and currently have a hickory shafted mashie niblick and hickory shafted putter. I'm guessing that with a fairway wood and 4 more irons I can have a 'starter set' to get into hickory golf. My current iron looks like it was left out in the rain for 50 years or so...Is a coke bath something one would do with irons of this era or is that an obvious no no? Thanks for the help.

View PostWoodridge, on 21 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

For a beginner, is it best to buy original hickory clubs via Ebay, Antique stores or another outlet?? From my shopping, it seems that the going rate at the antique stores near me is around $40 each for each for what are probably 'common' irons. I'd like to ease my way into hickory golf and currently have a hickory shafted mashie niblick and hickory shafted putter. I'm guessing that with a fairway wood and 4 more irons I can have a 'starter set' to get into hickory golf. My current iron looks like it was left out in the rain for 50 years or so...Is a coke bath something one would do with irons of this era or is that an obvious no no? Thanks for the help.

Six clubs is a nice start. A brassie with some loft on it, say 15/16 degrees at least so you can hit it off the ground, then mid iron around 25/26 degrees, mashie 35-38, mashie niblick 44/45 and then a niblick 52-55. Those plus a putter will get you round a 5900 yarder well enough, and you'll learn to hit a lot of different shots, especially with your mashie. Then, if you really take to hickory play, you can expand from there. This is pretty much the way I went about it five years ago. Although, out if my original six, I am only still playing two. My original six were all playable, but as I got more enthusiastic about hickory play, I also got more educated about what really good players to look for and I have been gradually replacing things in my bag with top notch stuff. I have eight really good clubs now with a couple of cheapies thrown in that aren't anything to write home about, but they work for me. My initial cash outlay was about three hundred, but the brassie was half of that total, and it was my first purchase. Chris MacIntyre always told me if you find a good wood, jump on it. The guy who loaned me that brassie was generous enough to sell it to me because I hit it so well (and got down on my knees and begged, that might have helped too) That's if you consider 150.00 generous, but that is the going rate for a good authentic brassie. You can find them cheaper, but you have to be really lucky.

Ebay is probably your best bet. Bob Georgaide is as honest as they come, and Brad Gregory too. Brad does lots of work on his so the prices are higher. Bob gets them and then turns right over "as is" so better deals there. Anyone else is a crap shoot, although as you get educated and more experienced, you can find diamonds in the rough. Don't know where you live WR but the eastern US is riddled with hickory players and you might find a club show or two to attend. Those are good bets as well.

Edited by Kirasdad, Yesterday, 09:29 PM.

Set For Some Seasons/hickory version
Jackson brassie/Starr spoon
Spalding 2 iron/ Forgan mid iron
Champion mashie/Alex Ross mashie nib.
Bonnie B lofted niblick/Spalding jigger
Brass flanged no name putter

#769 Woodridge

Woodridge

    Hodet ned , ikke titte

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
  • Joined: 10/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted Today, 09:54 AM

View PostKirasdad, on 21 October 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

View PostFellaheen51, on 21 October 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Good points dbuck, not rambling in the slightest. Speaking only from my limited experience around here, I have had to undertake the process of educating myself (in a small way) on what "is" a quality classic golf club.  That education continues from reading here and elsewhere around the internets. Then I attempt to understand the value component of the equation. A case perfectly illustrated by your Mac wood example. Quality + Value = a price I'm willing to pay for x clubs.  Further influencing a purchase decision is the question of playability. I am not in the market for "wall hangers". I prefer clubs that I can take to the  course and have a reasonable chance of executing a proper golf shot. Therefore, hickory and pre-war are not in consideration.  Playability not collectability (by intent). That delves into a whole different category of clubs.  Vintage but not to vintage if that makes any sense.

View PostWoodridge, on 21 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

For a beginner, is it best to buy original hickory clubs via Ebay, Antique stores or another outlet?? From my shopping, it seems that the going rate at the antique stores near me is around $40 each for each for what are probably 'common' irons. I'd like to ease my way into hickory golf and currently have a hickory shafted mashie niblick and hickory shafted putter. I'm guessing that with a fairway wood and 4 more irons I can have a 'starter set' to get into hickory golf. My current iron looks like it was left out in the rain for 50 years or so...Is a coke bath something one would do with irons of this era or is that an obvious no no? Thanks for the help.

View PostWoodridge, on 21 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

For a beginner, is it best to buy original hickory clubs via Ebay, Antique stores or another outlet?? From my shopping, it seems that the going rate at the antique stores near me is around $40 each for each for what are probably 'common' irons. I'd like to ease my way into hickory golf and currently have a hickory shafted mashie niblick and hickory shafted putter. I'm guessing that with a fairway wood and 4 more irons I can have a 'starter set' to get into hickory golf. My current iron looks like it was left out in the rain for 50 years or so...Is a coke bath something one would do with irons of this era or is that an obvious no no? Thanks for the help.

Six clubs is a nice start. A brassie with some loft on it, say 15/16 degrees at least so you can hit it off the ground, then mid iron around 25/26 degrees, mashie 35-38, mashie niblick 44/45 and then a niblick 52-55. Those plus a putter will get you round a 5900 yarder well enough, and you'll learn to hit a lot of different shots, especially with your mashie. Then, if you really take to hickory play, you can expand from there. This is pretty much the way I went about it five years ago. Although, out if my original six, I am only still playing two. My original six were all playable, but as I got more enthusiastic about hickory play, I also got more educated about what really good players to look for and I have been gradually replacing things in my bag with top notch stuff. I have eight really good clubs now with a couple of cheapies thrown in that aren't anything to write home about, but they work for me. My initial cash outlay was about three hundred, but the brassie was half of that total, and it was my first purchase. Chris MacIntyre always told me if you find a good wood, jump on it. The guy who loaned me that brassie was generous enough to sell it to me because I hit it so well (and got down on my knees and begged, that might have helped too) That's if you consider 150.00 generous, but that is the going rate for a good authentic brassie. You can find them cheaper, but you have to be really lucky.

Ebay is probably your best bet. Bob Georgaide is as honest as they come, and Brad Gregory too. Brad does lots of work on his so the prices are higher. Bob gets them and then turns right over "as is" so better deals there. Anyone else is a crap shoot, although as you get educated and more experienced, you can find diamonds in the rough. Don't know where you live WR but the eastern US is riddled with hickory players and you might find a club show or two to attend. Those are good bets as well.

Great! Thanks so much for the detailed response. I'll check Bob and Brad out. I'm near Joliet, IL so I'll keep my eye out for any show or events that my be happening in the Midwest. I'm looking forward to posting my own hickory golf stories in the near future. By next Spring, I hope to have put together the type of set that you mention. Thanks again for the great advice!

Edited by Woodridge, Today, 09:56 AM.

Spaulding Bobby Jones 3 1/2 wood
Ben Hogan Power Thrust 3,5,7,9 irons
Beckley-Ralston Chipper
H&B Louisville Grand Slam SW
Spaulding Cash In
Slicefixer

#770 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted Today, 01:21 PM

Ok managed to move on a little today again, used an old matchstick to plug the old hole in the shaft, and sanded, and sanded and sanded, until it fit snug into the head. Applied plenty of glue popped the new shaft in and allowed it to dry. Finally added four layers (gradually built up) of underlisting in the form of friction tape and popped a new grip on. Havent as yet got as far as whipping the ends of the grip that will be for later this week.

Finally got her swingweighted in at D4 which for me is not far off perfect. :)

One last thing i need to sand down the edge where the head meets the shaft, i assume thats all ok to go ahead and do? Not going to cause any issue? I will be sealing and varnishing the shaft after.

Cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


Posted Image


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#771 Woodridge

Woodridge

    Hodet ned , ikke titte

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
  • Joined: 10/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted Today, 01:40 PM

Beautiful work. On another note, it would be great to see some more pictures of your workshop.
Spaulding Bobby Jones 3 1/2 wood
Ben Hogan Power Thrust 3,5,7,9 irons
Beckley-Ralston Chipper
H&B Louisville Grand Slam SW
Spaulding Cash In
Slicefixer

#772 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted Today, 03:45 PM

View PostWoodridge, on 22 October 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Beautiful work. On another note, it would be great to see some more pictures of your workshop.

Here ya go not the best pics, and sadly not the biggest space about 14ft by 7 ft, but a very nice little hideaway! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#773 majic

majic

    Tour Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
  • Joined: 03/11/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted Today, 04:08 PM

When taking the taper on the end of the shaft down a quality wood file will save time and do an excellent job and the surface is good for glue.
Taper the bottom end of the grip where the whipping will go with a razor blade. After whipping use a small amount of shellac wiped into whipping to help hold it. Swing weight turned out good. Coming along.

#774 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted Today, 04:23 PM

Thanks Tad, i must admit i was a bit unsure how the whipping went over the Collor of the grip without leaving a large lump. That makes perfect sense.

Ive just had to do a search for shellac! My wife then just asked me why was i looking at pages of nail polish! Eeeek how do i explain that one! :)

#775 Woodridge

Woodridge

    Hodet ned , ikke titte

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
  • Joined: 10/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted Today, 04:33 PM

View PostMoaningM, on 22 October 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

View PostWoodridge, on 22 October 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Beautiful work. On another note, it would be great to see some more pictures of your workshop.

Here ya go not the best pics, and sadly not the biggest space about 14ft by 7 ft, but a very nice little hideaway! :)

Thank you! It looks like a golfer's heaven. I love all the bag tags.

Spaulding Bobby Jones 3 1/2 wood
Ben Hogan Power Thrust 3,5,7,9 irons
Beckley-Ralston Chipper
H&B Louisville Grand Slam SW
Spaulding Cash In
Slicefixer

#776 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted Today, 05:10 PM

View PostWoodridge, on 22 October 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

View PostMoaningM, on 22 October 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

View PostWoodridge, on 22 October 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Beautiful work. On another note, it would be great to see some more pictures of your workshop.

Here ya go not the best pics, and sadly not the biggest space about 14ft by 7 ft, but a very nice little hideaway! :)

Thank you! It looks like a golfer's heaven. I love all the bag tags.

Most of those are from all the clubs ive been a member of over the years! Poor old place is bursting at the seems, needs a sort out....... One day.....

#777 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
  • Joined: 04/18/2011
  • Location:James Island SC
GolfWRX Likes : 618

Posted Today, 05:16 PM

Nah, it looks just like it should MM.

#778 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

    Bella Woods

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
  • Joined: 12/06/2009
  • Location:Royal Oak, Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted Today, 05:26 PM

Nice little shop you have there MoaningM - keep up the good work......

#779 teevons

teevons

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Joined: 10/23/2008
  • Location:California desert
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 242

Posted 51 minutes ago

Breaking bad!! Decided to play hickories today on my 65th Bday, ist hole, left of green, ouch!!
It was a niblic that I had not re shafted but put a new grip on, broke right at the grip end

Attached Thumbnails

  • broken hick niblic.jpg


#780 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

    Bella Woods

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
  • Joined: 12/06/2009
  • Location:Royal Oak, Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 35 minutes ago

teevons

Happy 65th first of all. I always think of Elton John when I type your "handle" even though I
know it is a stretch.

I have had 3 hickory club shafts break on me in the last 13 years. A Kroydon 1 iron, a Stewart
Jigger and a three iron. Usually because of not pulling the shaft and refinishing/"solidifying"....

Almost got strangled by the 1 iron on a long par 3 tee shot - it broke under the grip on the down
swing and the grip unwound around my neck (flailing head missed my head though). My fault -
never looked under the shaft which was obviously dried out etc....

Jigger and 3 iron my fault too probably - both times was hitting very hard punch shots with abruptly
stopping follow through and they broke right at the shaft/hosel line.

I learned my lesson - always pull the shaft and redo and always make sure the area under the grip is
taken care of too.

But sometimes - I think it just "happens" for whatever reason (not very often though)....

Edit: On 1 iron never looked under the grip not shaft - original grip....

Edited by Bella Woods, 33 minutes ago.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.







1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors