Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Simulator

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Basketofgolf

Basketofgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144259
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

Ok. So I am looking into buying a golf simulator for my home. I have only looked into the P3ProSwing Golf simulator mostly because of the lower price. I do not want to spend more than $5,000 and I do not want to spend $300 on some cheap simulators. If I could get some reccomendations or reviews on the P3ProSwing that would be great.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ROH1

ROH1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129958
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

I am also interested.  Looong winter last year and snow in October doesn't bode well for CT.  Anyone have any info on this outfit?

http://www.sportsent....com/index.html

I like the idea of getting both club and ball data.  7k tho.

#3 jagmanjoe

jagmanjoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125444

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

I would suggest you check the Ottawagolf.com site.  They have several recent threads on simulators for under $5K and under $2500.  For starting out, upgrading from the P3Proswing or Optishot Dancin Dogg, the next step would be along the lines of the GSA PX2 or Protee.  The price factor is a wide variable depending on what you have already and what you want.  If you can use your existing computer, it saves you money ( a reasonably fast processor and a video card with at least 1 gig of on board memory are important ).  Also, are you planning to hit into a net or do you want to hit into a screen where the image is projected - that can change the cost considerably, even within the screen used and projector for that.  There are inexpensive ways to go with all of this that will be adequate for starting out for many people or more expensive ways.

Also, there is a lot of talk about the way the spin of the golf ball is measured by some of these units.  Personally, if you want to use the practice range feature on these more and not as interested in the golf courses, depending on how good you are, the basic PX2 type would be a good way to start without the cameras that detect launch angle, etc as they add considerable initial expense and can be added later.  The basic mat provides a lot of information relative to the face angle, swing speed, ball speed, etc.  I would try that first and then look into setting up separate cameras to look at your swing itself before the launch angle type add on cameras.

As to that Sportscent link, Foregolf and FullSwing just announced yesterday that they were merging.  I don't know about what the site is showing but what it has to offer will probably be changing and I sure would not want to invest thousands of dollars into something that is about to be discontinued.

Where do I get my knowledge from,  I am newly involved in accessories for some of these setups.  I would be happy to help and offer suggestions in any way I can.  Also, right now these companies are hurting from slow sales and are striking deals directly with individuals at prices significantly lower than their advertised ones.  Once you decide on what you are really interested in, be sure you are comparing apples to apples and call the companies to see just what kind of a deal they are willing to strike with you.  Oh, and if you have some handy abilities, you can save quite a bit.  I know that the GSA - Golfsimfactory sells its circuit board and software separately where you can build your own base for it and mount it - not nearly as difficult as it sounds and, I have some prototype base housings that I would sell very reasonably as I have been designing some for them.  I would also be happy to provide assistance relative to ways to set things up on a lower cost basis - just providing info for free to help anyone interested.  With that particular base unit, other add ons including the launch angle camera, golf courses, etc are available through them.  My business is geared more toward hitting surfaces for the less expensive golf simulators like the Dancin Dogg.  But, with all the research I have done, my knowledge gets into the more expensive units as well.

If you are willing to sacrifice the picture perfect looking setup and start with a perfectly adequate setup, in my view, you can save a lot (it can be done for under $3,000 with a good initial unit that you can add on to).  I will be happy to walk you through what I have learned and set up in my garage area.  If you want a showcase setup right out of the box, so to speak, that is great as well but just be prepared to spend $7,000  to $10,000 or more.

#4 Redman

Redman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122710
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

How about Optishot. See it advertised a lot and they say it's the price of a new driver. Anyone have experience with it. Is it accurate? Looks good on TV but that is TV after all.

#5 skafchin

skafchin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17118
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

You should check out Foresight Sports out of San Diego. The GC2 is amazing and doubles as a launch monitor and they have some amazing products. A bit more expensive, but well worth it, especially if you can put up a net in your garage etc. If you are going to do it, you might as well do it right!

http://www.foresightsports.com/

#6 bvmagic

bvmagic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9740
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

Don't have any firsthand knowledge of these simulators mentioned but someone posted a review of the optishot here recently that I read.

http://www.golfwrx.c..._1#entry3755897

#7 jagmanjoe

jagmanjoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125444

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

View PostRedman, on 04 November 2011 - 10:24 PM, said:

How about Optishot. See it advertised a lot and they say it's the price of a new driver. Anyone have experience with it. Is it accurate? Looks good on TV but that is TV after all.

Optishot and P3Proswing both have considerably less sensors and are accordingly less accurate.  For a very basic starting point they are an option.  Also, from what I have seen, considering the price difference the Optishot is a better buy.  Keep in mind that neither of these units have very much in the way of upgradability.

One major downfall to these units is the surface you are hitting off is not forgiving ( almost like hitting off hardpan or concrete and can cause injuries to wrists, hands, etc if one is not careful )  but there are accessories that can be purchased to help.  Actually, if all goes properly, I will be coming to market in the next week or so with a combination housing base and hitting turf that will be a significant improvement for the Optishot.  My housing will absorb a lot of the impact from the golf club hitting the mat and provide a couple of more comfortable and realistic turf options.  If it sells reasonably  then I will also be offering one for the P3Proswing within a few weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors