Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Made for vs aftermarket shaft

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

I am curious is there really that much of a difference?  I am a good player and wonder why they would take the time to make s lower quality shaft for rack drivers.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 WilCox

WilCox

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27591
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

My understanding is that the OEM designates the specs they want and the price point they will pay.  Then it is up to the shaft company to either make it or decline.  Speaking from my experience, I've played a "real" Aldila DVS and a "made for" Aldila DVS in the same driver head and the "made for" clearly did not perform the same.  It was like night and day.

There have been many discussions on this topic on WRX with people taking both sides of the argument making valid points.  I can only speak from my experience with a direct comparison.
TM SLDR Mini
TM V-Steel 18*
PING S56 4-P
PING 54* & 58*
TM Imola 8 TP / SS2.0

#3 asualum

asualum

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105160
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

Diamanas are a good example of the difference. Take a look at the difference in torque between the MFT 'ahina and real 'ahina:

ahina.jpg

real ahina.jpg

Can't say this for certain about every shaft, but a quick search on here will give you more answers.

Edited by asualum, 01 November 2011 - 10:16 AM.

#4 tbowles411

tbowles411

Nikki Garrett- LET member...becuse MrPutt22 said so! LOL

• 19,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 2152

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

View Postblhoff, on 01 November 2011 - 09:57 AM, said:

My understanding is that the OEM designates the specs they want and the price point they will pay.  Then it is up to the shaft company to either make it or decline.  Speaking from my experience, I've played a "real" Aldila DVS and a "made for" Aldila DVS in the same driver head and the "made for" clearly did not perform the same.  It was like night and day.

There have been many discussions on this topic on WRX with people taking both sides of the argument making valid points.  I can only speak from my experience with a direct comparison.
+1

I agree.  Having been fitted at the Kingdom for an R11 with a Matrix XCon5, I loved how it performed.  I knew it's flight and how it spun.  Then I tried a MATRIX Matrix XCon5.  It was CLOSE, but it wasn't the same. The ball flew a little lower, spun a little less, and I got better flight and numbers from the OEM version of the shaft.  So, when I know that the shafts that OEMs make have their specs. The TaylorMade version of the OEM shaft is being "made for" their heads and how they want it to perform.  So they aren't lying when they (Titleist, Nike, etc). say it's a real shaft.  Because it is.  But when compared to the OEM version of the same shaft, the characteristics are different because they are not trying to make a shaft for a particular head.  They're looking for an exact fit based on other shafts they sell.  Just like an XCon is supposed to be a high launch/low spin shaft, a M2/M3 shaft is supposed to be a Low/Low shaft.  They'll point you towards a different shaft they sell, instead of getting something that's close.

#5 darkhelmet

darkhelmet

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128147
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

They make the "made fors" to specs that will fit a broad spectrum of amateur players.  It's all about being able to offer something for everyone in the fewest number of options, and get some name recognition based on the most popular aftermarket shafts at the time.  Yes, the "made for" versions of shafts definitely have different specs than the "real deal" shafts that they're based on, but that only becomes an issue when people assume that the "real deal" is simply a higher-quality version of the "made for".

Let's say that there is one perfect shaft for everyone -- ANY other shaft you put in the club is going to be a downgrade in performance for you, no matter how "good" the shaft is purported to be.

If the ideal shaft for you is a MFT Kai'li, then guess what -- the "real deal" Kai'li will actually be a terrible shaft for you.  Both are very high quality shafts, but they are completely different animals.  Different weights, kick points, tip torque ratings, etc.  Likewise, if you get fit into an 'ahina 70S, the MFT 'ahina 72S will not necessarily be a good compromise if price is an option, because they play completely differently.

Basically, the manufacturers are trying to get some name recognition on the bulk shafts that they order for their product lines.  It also helps customers to understand the differences between shafts if they already have some familiarity with the "real deal" versions.  For example, "made for" Aldila NV and NVS shafts from a few years ago had the same differences (relative to one another) that their "real" counterparts had -- NVS was going to feel softer, launch the ball higher, and spin the ball more than the NV.  So if you tried a driver that you liked with a "made for" NV and hit it a little low, the "made for" NVS in the same head would be the next logical step for you in your driver search.

#6 td_proV_UNO

td_proV_UNO

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120223
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

Saying your good player is mute point...it's common knowledge that everyone on Golfwrx plays to a + handi, drives the ball 400+ yards and has enough money to change equipment daily/sometimes hourly.  haha...all in fun...all in fun...:friends:
Ping i20 10.5* 707D
Xhot 4W BB 73s, Vsteel 7W Fuji 757 TS
A12 Pro 20*/Wishon 870 4i PX 5.5 satin
Wishon 560mc 5,6 + 575mmc MB 7-AW
CG 14 54/56 s400, MD 2 58* WV115
PING Anser 2,Wishon Stepless in irons

#7 asualum

asualum

Major Winner

• 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105160
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

View Postdarkhelmet, on 01 November 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

If the ideal shaft for you is a MFT Kai'li, then guess what -- the "real deal" Kai'li will actually be a terrible shaft for you.  Both are very high quality shafts, but they are completely different animals.  Different weights, kick points, tip torque ratings, etc.  Likewise, if you get fit into an 'ahina 70S, the MFT 'ahina 72S will not necessarily be a good compromise if price is an option, because they play completely differently.

Totally agree with this. My MFT Kai'li fits me perfectly in my driver. I have tried tons of shafts and love the thing. It's all about what works for you. And, yes, I think a lot of people think the OEMs are always better quality. Just different specs IMHO.

#8 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

View Posttd_proV_UNO, on 01 November 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

Saying your good player is mute point...it's common knowledge that everyone on Golfwrx plays to a + handi, drives the ball 400+ yards and has enough money to change equipment daily/sometimes hourly.  haha...all in fun...all in fun...:friends:

I apologize that I don't play to a plus number but -7ish.
I do hit it long but I don't recall very many 400 yarders in my life. I wish I could afford new stuff all time but I am not that much of a ho.

Oh and its moot not mute.  Just for future use, but I do get your point.

Edited by creeder06, 01 November 2011 - 03:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors