Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 13 votes

judging players by their bags

• Please log in to reply
2311 replies to this topic

#31 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 30 October 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostaddictedtoBST, on 30 October 2011 - 03:49 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 30 October 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostaddictedtoBST, on 30 October 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

anybody who can stand look at g15 irons has a mental problem.

thats what I would think!

by the time i finish my thoughts on your setup you'll have a completely new one from top to bottom LOL!

lol.  Probably.  But I've played the same clubs in 2011 all year.  Even 2010......  My early extreme hoing has forever ruined my wrx reputation.....

If somebody saw my current bag they would know I was fit for the driver, have played / practiced quite a bit with my irons as the 53s are current and they are quite worn.

yeah but your screen name's literal meaning is that you are addicted to buying, selling and trading LOL....just go back to KG, we can all support a KG who says he keeps the same clubs for a full year. But if a guy's screen name is "big fat guy" i would assume he is a big fat guy ...haha

fine it's going back to the original!

I actually played a guy in a pro am who had 845s and a pal.  He looked like he was homeless.   Ended up destroying us............

913D2 Tour AD DI 6
913FD 15 Diamana Blue +
913H 19 Diamana Blue +
AP2 714 3-PW PXI 6.0
SM5 52 58S Tour Issue S400

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 wrmiller

wrmiller

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

Played a semi-private this morning with three young(er) banking types. Total bores that snickered when I told them I'd be playing the blacks. Probably thought I was a poser or something, as I keep a clean bag and like to dress nice. One guy asked if I'd be interested in a friendly wager, to which I replied that I don't gamble, but I'd be willing to play for refreshments at the turn. All three decided to play the mid tees.

Was two over at the turn with an unplayable a couple holes earlier. None would tell me specifically what they shot, though one told me "it wasn't even close". :)

My bag is in my sig. So, you guys tell me, what would you think of a bald, overweight, fifty something guy with the bag listed, showing up on your first tee box?
Some people speak when they have
something to say. Others speak because
they have to say something.

#33 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

Jack Nicklaus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3948

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

View Postwrmiller, on 30 October 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

Played a semi-private this morning with three young(er) banking types. Total bores that snickered when I told them I'd be playing the blacks. Probably thought I was a poser or something, as I keep a clean bag and like to dress nice. One guy asked if I'd be interested in a friendly wager, to which I replied that I don't gamble, but I'd be willing to play for refreshments at the turn. All three decided to play the mid tees.

Was two over at the turn with an unplayable a couple holes earlier. None would tell me specifically what they shot, though one told me "it wasn't even close". :)

My bag is in my sig. So, you guys tell me, what would you think of a bald, overweight, fifty something guy with the bag listed, showing up on your first tee box?

i would think you could play for sure, don't care that you are bald or overweight. Playing an 8 degree driver when you don't need to is uncommon for someone your age, a kid maybe would do that. If i saw a 50 year old with an 8 degree driver and a 13.5 fairway wood i'd think he had some game. Again, as i've said before, the WB is not a stock offering in the I15 so unless you got it off ebay you custom ordered, and that shows some knowledge. Even moderate club ho's don't know what C tapers are yet so the only people you'd impress are the members of this board, so again i'd say they were probably more functional than ego based

even if on the surface your bag was a little poser-ish, a true poser wouldn't use a set of VIP wedges, so i'd be pretty confident that you could play, which evidently is the case!

I'd also talk equipment with you for 18 straight holes because you're obviously another junkie
Tom Wishon 919 @ 44.25 ---9.3 degrees
Callaway 3 Deep w/ PXv
Callaway X hot pro Hybrid 16/ PXv
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Ping IWI Craze

#34 Ernie1060

Ernie1060

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125099
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

whatever the brand, whatever the type of club... before i started judging based on blade, GI, hybrid....  id look at the faces of the club for contact / wear pattern... THAT is how i would know if the guy is  a gamer or a "poser" as you all say.  Because u know what, the true gamer plays WHATEVER he shoots the lowest score with..  Carrying a 3 iron vs a hybrid doesnt mean squat to me... show me the face of each and ill tell you if hes good or not.

#35 OpusX20

OpusX20

The balance. The poise. The finish. It's like a dance.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84036
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

It's an interesting question.  I love to see what golf equipment other players are using.  I try not to make any judgments, unless I see the dime shaped worn spot on their irons.  That's one of the few equipment indicators you can take to the bank.  I'm not sure what my bag says, other than I don't really have much brand loyalty.  I'm guessing if I get paired up with someone and they see the Sabertooth putter, a yellow ball and a lob wedge they stopped making 20 years ago, they would probably figure "hacker on deck".

TM Superdeep 8.5*, Fuji Motore F1X
Cal Razr Fit Xtreme 15*, Fuji Motore F1X
TM 09 Rescue 19*, Fuji Motore F1X
Ping i20 4-PW, Tour Issue DG X100
Vokey 50*, Ping Anser 53*, Eye 2 S 57.5*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 50

#36 wrmiller

wrmiller

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

Not to get too far off topic, but I hit this 8 degree driver so high, I get little to no roll if the fairways are even moderately soft. Blasted my best this morning to 287, with no roll.. The ball was about 8 inches behind the crater it made in the fairway. Not bad for a 56 year old...  :)

Edited by wrmiller, 30 October 2011 - 06:23 PM.

Some people speak when they have
something to say. Others speak because
they have to say something.

#37 shankz

shankz

Powered by Hite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43235
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

How they are is more important than what they play. I prefer pleasant golfers who can't hit their blades compared to the angry/rude ones who can. Proper golf ettiquette>handicap

#38 kitsoasis

kitsoasis

fried chicken

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38807
  • Ebay ID:kitsoasis
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

What a WRX'er sees in a bag is completely different to what a regular joe sees in a bag. We're in a much better position to judge the amount of 'game' by looking at their bag.

If you see my bag you'd know I'm a hack (I think?)

#39 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

Jack Nicklaus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3948

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

^^^ i guess what i meant to ask was what another WRX'er type would think
Tom Wishon 919 @ 44.25 ---9.3 degrees
Callaway 3 Deep w/ PXv
Callaway X hot pro Hybrid 16/ PXv
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Ping IWI Craze

#40 jbrunone

jbrunone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109380
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

View Postkitsoasis, on 30 October 2011 - 06:20 PM, said:

What a WRX'er sees in a bag is completely different to what a regular joe sees in a bag. We're in a much better position to judge the amount of 'game' by looking at their bag.

If you see my bag you'd know I'm a hack (I think?)
id get the opposite impression...you have somewhat a player bag.

Mine im unsure, got some blades and beat up wedge. Some update shafts, what do you guys thing

This is a kids bag also...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 clutchfan

clutchfan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21149
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

Not sure what people would think based on my bag....I'm not even sure what to think about my bag!  After watching me hit a few shots, they would be thinking "he should probably be playing some cavity backs!"  :lol:

#42 mrballance

mrballance

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29836
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

I am guilty of this, I always check the bags of guys I am paired with.  Don't know why just always been fascinated by what people choose to play with.  Love to pick the brains of the best guys at my course regarding their equipment as well, always some good stories behind those sticks.

#43 TheMackDaddy

TheMackDaddy

Butyraceous

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128677
  • Ebay ID:capebretoner
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

I bet people look at me as a poser. I don't care though, because I usually have the game to back it up.

#44 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Unless something about their bag comes up in conversation, I may notice what someone else is playing, but don't go about checking out what others are playing.  Even among guys I've played with for a long time, I can probably come up with what most are playing for irons, but clueless as to woods, or even every single driver. If someone is thinking about a cub change it comes up in conversation, otherwise we just play and talk about pretty much everything but clubs.

#45 tbomb

tbomb

Wheel, Snipe, Party - Gongshow Hockey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65826
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

I'm great at picking out sharks,  strong 3 woods and unique things... Like a bag tag that says us amateur championship! Lol

That's why I avoid bag tags on my bag, I also have rusted wedges which peopl think are junk. If I remove the orange poms and white bag, I'm stealthy lol.

I also change up my bag after a couple bad rounds, and I never use my teaching bag when I play. A hoofer is a players bag IMO and I like to maintain that mentality

#46 buckI

buckI

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91171
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

Great topic.    I love to sneak a peek at other players sticks.    I play with a +3 that has GI irons...nothing higher than a 5 and sometimes 6, multiple hybrids and a collection of putters to make Golf Galaxy envious.    A couple others have old Pings...ISI and G2's but have putters that look like K-Mart specials or what you'd see at a putt putt course.....and yes, they make everything.    I snicker on every hole at the one who even has the rubber plunger on the grip since he doesn't want to bend over and pull the ball out of the cup.   The young guys who play college golf do love the blades but have the game to back it up.  

Me...I just have loved Ping for 30 years and a true WRXer would rag me to death with the CS Lite shafts.  Those are what has me stuck at a 6....oh the inconsistent driver and short game when you only get to play once every other week.
Ping G25  10.5* - TFC Tour stiff
Ping G25 4 Wood - TFC Tour Stiff
Ping i15 20/23 - UST Axivcore stiff
Ping I3+ 5, S59 6-pw
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish
Ping Tour W - 52* & 58*

#47 doubleBZee

doubleBZee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82037
  • Ebay ID:trey8419
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

I admit I look at others clubs out of curiousity, but most people I play with have matching sets.  Not callaway or titleist, but slazenger or affinity.  Honesly I don't think anybody that I golf with for fun knows what TP is.
TM RBZ - Motore Speeder VC 7.2
TM Burner TP 3 - BB 83
TM TP MC/MB - Ctaper
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan DH89
TM Penta TP

#48 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

View Postwrmiller, on 30 October 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

The i15 and the S57's would lend me to believe you could strike the ball well, and control it enough to work it.

I'd suspect you were a single digit be it low or high, and leave it at that.

#49 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

Dunno what I'd think if I saw someone with my bag.. I carry a SM Four5 and all my clubs in it.

#50 gxDD

gxDD

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273471
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

I can spot a player, with 60's level game, a mile a way just by looking at their bag.  Yes, I tend to judge players by their game.  Please keep in mind however, this is not  a drawn out thought when I do it.  It's typically a 2-3 second thought which basically helps me adapt to my surroundings.

Edited by Delman, 30 October 2011 - 08:36 PM.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910F - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
Versa #7 SS 3.0
ProV1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132640
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

View PostPing_Ho, on 30 October 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

Everytime when some 15yr olds play white driver i start judging.

lol..

Ironic you got a white driver from a 15 year old lol.

#52 eldwin

eldwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143979
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:32 PM

View PostErnie1060, on 30 October 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

whatever the brand, whatever the type of club... before i started judging based on blade, GI, hybrid....  id look at the faces of the club for contact / wear pattern... THAT is how i would know if the guy is  a gamer or a "poser" as you all say.  Because u know what, the true gamer plays WHATEVER he shoots the lowest score with..  Carrying a 3 iron vs a hybrid doesnt mean squat to me... show me the face of each and ill tell you if hes good or not.

I just started golf with this really old set of clubs (blades) + driver from my mate (More than 5 years old). It's really worn out and I hope people don't think I'm good! lol. Anyway I don't really care about what others think. Many of my friends have told me to just invest in new club set, but I really I don't see the need. My thinking is if I can't even get the right swing and hit well with blades, do I even deserve a new iron set? :D

#53 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132640
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

People would think I can hit irons well, semi correct, have a routine around the greens, and likes steel over graphite due to my hybrid.

I guess they would think I look lanky because I usually wear loose golf shirts that don't show any muscles and they might be suprised when I get the driver out and rip one off the tee. 300+ one time today.

#54 TheShaun

TheShaun

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96319
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

If someone saw my irons and grips and wedges, they would think I'm Luke Donald, current world number 1. Joke's on them though, I'm current world number 8,987,131.

#55 Desert Golf

Desert Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25707
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

Lets see, regular shafts in all of my clubs, game improvement irons (MX-25's), 2 hybrids, and a 12 degree driver.

They probably think I am old and slow...

R9 Supertri 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904f Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX
Mizuno MX25
Odyssey Black Tour #5

#56 Agent Jim

Agent Jim

Major Winner

• 2,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130281
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

I found myself ripping a to my playing partner as we waited to tee off. One of the guys in front of us was wearing his baseball cap backwards and had an all Titleist bag,  710 Ap2 and 910 stuff. Sure enough on the first hole (par 4 331y {he was playing the whites}) he pulls driver and comences to hit it 180 yards, but he did hit the fairway! lol

I guess it was obvoius to me he was a poser and/or just someone who tries too hard. Its not that he had the equipment, he was just carrying himself as better then he actually was. That is what i have a problem with.
Titleist 910D2 10.5 RIP60 (SS 100MPH)
Maltby KE4 ST-F 14 Aldila RIP'd NV
Maltby KE4 Tour 19 Aldila NVS 85
PING G25 3-UW CFS/TTDG Stiff
WITB Link
Callaway Jaws 60/SC Cali Fastback
MG Tour C4 2014

#57 sandiegonative

sandiegonative

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68753
  • Ebay ID:minhsdsu
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

First thought would be NASCAR.

This guy has a Callaway Bag, Titleist 910 Driver and Hybrid, Callaway Diablo 3 Wood, Taylormade Irons and Wedges, and a Scotty Cameron Circa 62 Putter.

Edited by sandiegonative, 30 October 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#58 B_SoFresh

B_SoFresh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73024
  • Ebay ID:gumabo4
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

They would think I'm a typical wrx'er. 910 d3 10.5 with a AD DI 7X, R9 3 wood with an AD DI 6X. Mizuno MP-68's 3-PW, Fourteen wedges and a Scotty Monterey Typical bag for a club hoe.

#59 dunn

dunn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124833
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:24 AM

Depends on the week as I have been changing equip, here in so cal I don't see too many looking or asking... Guess they are too into themselves... I check but can't call it, I don't run into too many single digit golfers...... Most have equipment that titty and TM pour millions into advertising.... It does work!!!! Cause people by far and above have the R11 and ap2 more than anything else..... I am usually mizuno or
Adams....
Occasionally cally

they see my first tee shot and think I am a player as it usually is a
Beautiful draw about 280....... But it quickly turns into a nasty hook shortly there after!!!!

Though I did have about a 2 Month stretch in the 70's with 75 being my lowest @ 6800 yds

I get props for my swing..... Pretty smooth but too handsy causing my hooks

I play from the whites and all the time get asked why am not at the blues and these guys can't even get it 220 off the tee
And I say what are doing back there!!!! You can barely get over hazards/ revines .....hitting 3 woods into every green!!! When I can shoot par from the whites I will move back.... The egos bad players have is amazing..... I will play from the ladies fees every once in a while too..... Helps my game to hit shorter irons in and see how many birdies I can get..... Lately gone downhill, work with someone and get back on track....

I guess though you would think I could play
( and can sometimes) if you saw my bag and my demeanor ......as far as looking at the faces to see where I hit the ball, clubs are revolving like stock at a supermarket so there is none........ Narrowing it down though, I know what's out of my league
And whTs
Not

#60 G.Lin

G.Lin

**the Sergio Late Release**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142743
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:08 AM

a regular average golfer where i play would probably think i have some game from looking at my bag.. might be perceived as a bit of a poser by a fellow WRX'r
but that would likely change after a hole or two Posted Image...... hopefully, lol

Edited by G.Lin, 31 October 2011 - 03:04 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors