Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ernie Els standard length clubs?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rob631

Rob631

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139362
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

Does anyone know if he uses Standard length? I have seen him play a few times and they look standard to me.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 acquadiice

acquadiice

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98821
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

um no

i think he prob plays an inch over standard...

#3 Rob631

Rob631

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

acquadiice, on 28 October 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

um no

i think he prob plays an inch over standard...

Wow even his long irons look so small LOL. He is a big guy so its probably why it looks that way.

Ahh.. Edited because I found this:

Spec: Callaway Tour Authentic™ X-Prototype™ Irons; KB shafts, X-Stiff, half-inch longer than standard, lie angle 1-degree upright; lofts, 1-degree stronger than standard; swing weight, D3.

Edited by Rob631, 28 October 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#4 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

He plays irons half-an-inch over standard from what I remember. His driver's quite long, though. 45 1/2", if memory serves.

#5 swingdoc80

swingdoc80

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90739
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

There are a few funny measurements about.  Stuart Cink uses standard length apart from his PW which is 1/4 inch longer.  And didnt Woosnam use longer than standard Mat ?

#6 Rob631

Rob631

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

swingdoc80, on 28 October 2011 - 10:31 AM, said:

There are a few funny measurements about.  Stuart Cink uses standard length apart from his PW which is 1/4 inch longer.  And didnt Woosnam use longer than standard Mat ?

What's weird, is Els played 1/4" longer back in his titleist days. I guess he stands a little taller at address now?

I think I heard that too about Woosnam.

#7 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

I think Woosnam used standard length irons, to be honest, back in the 37 1/2" 5-iron days. Three degrees flat, though, if I remember rightly. And S400s, interestingly, given his length.

Scott Hoch's clubs were always quite surprising to me. Similar height to me, at about 5' 11 1/2", but 4 degrees upright, I think. And 8.0 shafts, too, making his iron shafts among the stiffest out there at the time. I think Baddeley's playing a similar set-up now, something like 4 degrees upright, even at about 5'11" or so.

Someone I know used to play a bit with a young Colin Montgomerie and some of his shafts were alarmingly soft. 4-point-something on the old Brunswick scale, I think. And that old Wilson lob wedge of his apparently had a very soft regular shaft in it.

As you say, there are some surprising choices and fittings out there. They all work, though.

#8 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21395
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

mat562, on 28 October 2011 - 11:18 AM, said:

I think Woosnam used standard length irons, to be honest, back in the 37 1/2" 5-iron days. Three degrees flat, though, if I remember rightly. And S400s, interestingly, given his length.

Scott Hoch's clubs were always quite surprising to me. Similar height to me, at about 5' 11 1/2", but 4 degrees upright, I think. And 8.0 shafts, too, making his iron shafts among the stiffest out there at the time. I think Baddeley's playing a similar set-up now, something like 4 degrees upright, even at about 5'11" or so.

Someone I know used to play a bit with a young Colin Montgomerie and some of his shafts were alarmingly soft. 4-point-something on the old Brunswick scale, I think. And that old Wilson lob wedge of his apparently had a very soft regular shaft in it.

As you say, there are some surprising choices and fittings out there. They all work, though.

Raphael Jacquelin's irons are 3 degrees flat & he's a 6 footer (depending on which shoes he's wearing) They are obviously perfect for him, as there aren't many better iron players out there than him

Cabrera, also a good 6 footer, has his Pings 1 degree flat

A lot of it is finger tip to floor measurement, and, obviously, the plane/wrist angle each particular player has at impact

I'm pretty tall but find that standard length & lie is just about spot on, as I have long arms. Having said that. I have a bag full of demo 6 irons varying from 2 degrees flat to 4 degrees upright, standard length & 1/2 over. I sometimes take several of them out to the practice ground & if I'm swinging well, they all work!

Edited by HCEG1, 28 October 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#9 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1958

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

as per his website:

Callaway RAZR X Forged Irons
Following the success and critical acclaim of Callaway's X-Prototype Forged irons comes this new model, the RAZR X Forged irons. This is an uncompromised forged iron for elite golfers. What sets it apart is the unique ‘Triple Net' forging process. This three-step forging yields superior feel and enables high-performance Tour CC grooves to be precision forged into each clubface.

Spec: Callaway RAZR X Forged Irons; KBS Tour FST shafts, X-Stiff, half-inch longer than standard, lie angle 1-degree upright; lofts, 1-degree stronger than standard; swing weight, D3.

#10 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143353
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

The length of the clubs you need really depends on your wrist to floor measurement. I'm going to cut down my driver and 3-wood, they are currently too long for me.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

HCEG1, on 28 October 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

mat562, on 28 October 2011 - 11:18 AM, said:

Raphael Jacquelin's irons are 3 degrees flat & he's a 6 footer (depending on which shoes he's wearing) They are obviously perfect for him, as there aren't many better iron players out there than him

Cabrera, also a good 6 footer, has his Pings 1 degree flat

A lot of it is finger tip to floor measurement, and, obviously, the plane/wrist angle each particular player has at impact

I'm pretty tall but find that standard length & lie is just about spot on, as I have long arms. Having said that. I have a bag full of demo 6 irons varying from 2 degrees flat to 4 degrees upright, standard length & 1/2 over. I sometimes take several of them out to the practice ground & if I'm swinging well, they all work!

Jacquelin has that unique swing trigger when he makes the club upright before swinging away. I'm sure you know what I actually mean :rolleyes:

#12 Drexel64

Drexel64

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26433
  • Ebay ID:Temple67
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Els use to use clubs 1 inch over but went to 1/2 over to gain control/comfort at address.  
I believe he used 38.75 5 iron (when 37.75 was std) now uses 38.5
Makes sense at 6,3 or 6,4
John

Edited by Drexel64, 01 November 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#13 cinnepa

cinnepa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14696
  • Ebay ID:cinnepa
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

yup, 6'-3" here and i'm only 1/4" over standard length....1 degree upright.  as someone mentioned above - it all depends if you have ape-length arms or not. i do and probably could have gotten away with standard if i had to - my pings called for blue dot, 1/4" long.

Edited by cinnepa, 02 November 2011 - 06:44 AM.

TM Stage2 TP - 10.5*
TM Stage2 Tour 3 HL
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #3,#4 hybrids
Odyssey WHP #7

#14 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16062
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

I was fortunate enough to be around Ernie for a day and we spoke about club length as I am 6' 4" and he is a bit taller then I.  He has extremely long arms for his height.  No joke when we stood next to each other his arms were several inches longer then mine.  He said this is why he can pretty much play standard length clubs.  

And without having to say it, he swings so smooth it's insane!  TV does him no justice.  Seeing him swing in person is jaw dropping.

#15 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21395
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

rybo, on 03 November 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

I was fortunate enough to be around Ernie for a day and we spoke about club length as I am 6' 4" and he is a bit taller then I.  He has extremely long arms for his height.  No joke when we stood next to each other his arms were several inches longer then mine.  He said this is why he can pretty much play standard length clubs.  

And without having to say it, he swings so smooth it's insane!  TV does him no justice.  Seeing him swing in person is jaw dropping.

Ernie's tall, but not a millimetre taller than 6' 3". I've been right next to him countless times

http://www.europeant...5576/index.html

Edited by HCEG1, 03 November 2011 - 02:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors