Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lengthening irons = higher shots, swingweight increase and?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fr0sty

fr0sty

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87106
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions regarding lengthening my irons.  I'm currently playing a set of Titleist 690cb 3-pw that I need to lengthen.  I should be playing 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch longer irons and these are already 1/4" shorter than most contemporary irons.  So Im having my club builder lengthen them by half an inch.  Now, I'm currently playing dg s300 shafts and I find the ball flight to be on the high side.  Will lengthening them weaken the flex of the shafts and perhaps cause me to hit the ball even higher? Will it even be noticeable? Also the irons are currently D2 (I'm pretty sure) and the lengthening will bring them to D5 right? That's pretty normal for irons right?  Were getting close now.  The irons are 2 degrees upright, will half an inch extra make them 3 degrees upright?  Finally, if I'd want to keep the ballflight down a bit while lengthening the irons could I hardstep the shafts before lengthening?  
Thanks in advance.

Bio Cell + (silver) Red Tie 6Q3
Mizuno Mp-650 15 Orochi 75g
Mizuno Mp Fli-Hi 18 DGSL
Mizuno Mp-32 3-pw DG
Mizuno Mp-T11 52/58 DG Spinner
Superstroke DCF-4 Salty Grip

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 fr0sty

fr0sty

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

No one? I know these questions are asked a bit...but I've yet to see a conclusive answer for all of them...sorry if they are too basic...
Mizuno Mp Fli-Hi 18 DGSL
Mizuno Mp-32 3-pw DG

#3 eppey

eppey

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23638
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Some of these are complicated to answer without having a proper fitting.  Lengthening will make the shaft weaker, increase the swingweight and make them more upright all of which you indicated.  You will also more than likely lose some control with the longer length, but maybe not depending on your ball striking ability.  They may start to go left (for a right hander) if they are too long or upright for the swing.  D5 is starting to get a bit high for SW but SW is all personal preference.  Some like heavier feeling clubcs, other like the lighter feeling.  If you should hard step them is not something we can really answer for you, lengthening by a half inch would not weaken them to the point that one hard step would equal out in flex to a standard lengh, straight in install.

#4 fr0sty

fr0sty

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hmm, thats what I thought, maybe keeping them standard'ish will be best for now...any other input would be appreciated.  Should I maybe just spring for 100% fitted irons?  (Poor student with limited funds makes this a difficulty)
Mizuno Mp Fli-Hi 18 DGSL
Mizuno Mp-32 3-pw DG

#5 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54590
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

View Postfr0sty, on 20 October 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions regarding lengthening my irons.  I'm currently playing a set of Titleist 690cb 3-pw that I need to lengthen.  I should be playing 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch longer irons and these are already 1/4" shorter than most contemporary irons.  So Im having my club builder lengthen them by half an inch.  Now, I'm currently playing dg s300 shafts and I find the ball flight to be on the high side.  Will lengthening them weaken the flex of the shafts and perhaps cause me to hit the ball even higher? Will it even be noticeable? Also the irons are currently D2 (I'm pretty sure) and the lengthening will bring them to D5 right? That's pretty normal for irons right?  Were getting close now.  The irons are 2 degrees upright, will half an inch extra make them 3 degrees upright?  Finally, if I'd want to keep the ballflight down a bit while lengthening the irons could I hardstep the shafts before lengthening?   Thanks in advance.

You will go from D2 to D5, which is generally noticeable. I don't know if I would call this 'normal', but I would not call it abnormal.

Since you are not adding any weight to the club, you will do very little to the effective shaft flex. I would not bother with that issue.

The lie would be roughly 1* more upright.

dave

#6 fr0sty

fr0sty

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

View PostDaveLeeNC, on 20 October 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

View Postfr0sty, on 20 October 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions regarding lengthening my irons.  I'm currently playing a set of Titleist 690cb 3-pw that I need to lengthen.  I should be playing 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch longer irons and these are already 1/4" shorter than most contemporary irons.  So Im having my club builder lengthen them by half an inch.  Now, I'm currently playing dg s300 shafts and I find the ball flight to be on the high side.  Will lengthening them weaken the flex of the shafts and perhaps cause me to hit the ball even higher? Will it even be noticeable? Also the irons are currently D2 (I'm pretty sure) and the lengthening will bring them to D5 right? That's pretty normal for irons right?  Were getting close now.  The irons are 2 degrees upright, will half an inch extra make them 3 degrees upright?  Finally, if I'd want to keep the ballflight down a bit while lengthening the irons could I hardstep the shafts before lengthening?   Thanks in advance.

You will go from D2 to D5, which is generally noticeable. I don't know if I would call this 'normal', but I would not call it abnormal.

Since you are not adding any weight to the club, you will do very little to the effective shaft flex. I would not bother with that issue.

The lie would be roughly 1* more upright.

dave

Thanks for the input, perhaps it will be a non issue.  It just seems like a lot of variables are changing when lengthening the irons.  I hit them plenty good as they are right now but I always have to wonder how much better I could be hitting them if they were "perfect".  I obviously have something to think about, especially since having them lengthened isn't exactly free either.

Edited by fr0sty, 20 October 2011 - 05:47 PM.

Mizuno Mp Fli-Hi 18 DGSL
Mizuno Mp-32 3-pw DG

#7 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54590
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

View Postfr0sty, on 20 October 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

SNIP
Thanks for the input, perhaps it will be a non issue.  It just seems like a lot of variables are changing when lengthening the irons.  I hit them plenty good as they are right now but I always have to wonder how much better I could be hitting them if they were "perfect".  I obviously have something to think about, especially since having them lengthened isn't exactly free either.

There really isn't some 'absolutely right length'. What there is ...

1) The right length vs. lie for a given golfer. You hit some irons that are 36 inches long and some that are 38 inches long without a problem (whether or not you lengthen your club). There is no magical 'loft vs. length' for a given golfer.  

2) The right distance gaps between clubs (where clublength is one variable here) is an issue. And it is possible that you will find the shortest clubs to be uncomfortably short (in which case lengthening the set would be reasonable).

dave

#8 TLT_Dan

TLT_Dan

TLT_DAN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43988
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

For lie, if you remain in your exact same address position, then the toe will come upright near a degree and you risk loosing the shot to the left.

If you change your address by standing slightly more upright the toe will remain correct and your ball flight will remain consistent.

I assume you want the added length to correct your crouching address position?
Length and lie are directly related, but the starting point (your address) should remain in your strongest position.

Edited by TLT_Dan, 20 October 2011 - 06:20 PM.

#9 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a perfect fit for a specific golfer, but there is such a thing as a very good fit for many golfers and the best fit a specific fitter can recommend for a specific golfer. This would be especially difficult to achieve if the golfer himself were still in the formative stage with his swing and personal preferences. We do the best we can from day to day and sometimes there are bright days and other times there are sun shiny days.

The more obvious effect of a lengthened shaft is an increased swing weight. That is an objective measure and can be verified mechanically. A more subjective and subtle effect is a change in the player's balance, timing, demeanor and confidence, depending on the psychological effect on that player of holding a longer and subjectively heavier club with which he proceeds to strike that teeny tiny ball. There is also the effect upon the player of the difference in flex, and a flock of other tiny things that may or may not be felt or get into the player's mind.

Consider the effect upon yourself of a hybrid versus a long iron. Irons generally come shorter and lighter with higher loft than a hybrid so direct comparisons will be very unfair. Likewise the direct comparison of fairway woods against hybrids. However, as we are looking at the EFFECT UPON YOURSELF, we are dealing with a subjective matter rather than an objective matter. When the matter is subjective, the only hope os satisfactory resolution is by trying it yourself.

I have confidence that an extra half inch will be just another day at the office for most of us regardless that you now have an extra half inch to play with. However, if you are still uncertain, just ask your wife or girlfriend if an extra half inch would produce better results. :partytime2:

Shambles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors